Home
There will be a full moon for the start of Wisconsin's 9 day gun season November 20th. I am going anyway.
Probably at the urging of your taxidermist.
Hunt all day during the big moon
Originally Posted by roundoak
There will be a full moon for the start of Wisconsin's 9 day gun season November 20th. I am going anyway.

I’ll be there. Waiting from a text from the two 16 year old boys….”bucks down”

I might even get in on the action. I LOVE gun season in WI. There is nothing like it.
Originally Posted by SKane
Probably at the urging of your taxidermist.

Lol
Same here. NY opens the same day. Wouldn't miss it for anything.
I'll be missing it this year courtesy of a positive 'Rona test. Quarantined until next Monday.
Saturday will be 3 weeks since I had 8 ribs broken in a car accident.

Lord willing and a willing deer dragger on call I’m going to try and drag my carcass out there.
Originally Posted by trplem
I'll be missing it this year courtesy of a positive 'Rona test. Quarantined until next Monday.

What’s more quarantined than sitting in the woods?
Pulling the camper to the farm. Not looking forward to the moon but looking forward to sitting and doing nothing outdoors.
Originally Posted by Hypocrite

What’s more quarantined than sitting in the woods?

Nothing, and if that was what I enjoyed about hunting I'd be good to go. The thing is opening weekend is more about hanging around with the rest of the guys at the hunting camp for me than anything else.
Originally Posted by bbassi
Same here. NY opens the same day. Wouldn't miss it for anything.
Yup moon or no moon doesn't matter
I will be sitting in an escape corridor that runs about 2 miles through several farms. Rarely, do I not have a shot opening morning as the masses pour into the country side!
I don’t believe the moon phase has any effect on deer movement.

Temperature changes (drops) I believe are far more important than moon phase.
Good luck. Our rifle season opened here yesterday. I look forward to it all year wouldn’t miss it for anything regardless of moon phase or weather. It’s 27 degrees and I’ve seen 3 deer so far this morning.

Lord willing and a willing deer dragger on call I’m going to try and drag my carcass out there.

Don't sneeze.
Originally Posted by tzone

Don't sneeze.

Yeah that ain’t no [bleep]. It’s electrifying LOL

Good luck out there Saturday.
With a woods next door, nothing is walking around the neighborhood until an hour after sunset and then deer are all over the yard. Probably due more to the 8 dogs in the neighborhood than the moon phase though. For you guys lucky enough to have a private woods, the moon, temperature and rut phase probably has more to do with deer movement than with us poor guys who get to hunt the gauntlet public woods deer. With 600,000 of us out there on opening day, deer movement patterns are more determined by human hunting pressure. Smarter deer are nocturnal real early in the season. How do you get a nocturnal deer to move? You jump him up and then he isn't nocturnal any longer. Lots of us think that we are great stand site pickers, but in reality your deer probably got moved into you by some guy walking around after you got to your stand.

Don't sneeze.

Yeah that ain’t no [bleep]. It’s electrifying LOL

Good luck out there Saturday.

I broke some ribs 20 years ago in the spring...and I have allergies. laugh Not fun.

Good luck to you as well.
Originally Posted by Windfall
With a woods next door, nothing is walking around the neighborhood until an hour after sunset and then deer are all over the yard. Probably due more to the 8 dogs in the neighborhood than the moon phase though. For you guys lucky enough to have a private woods, the moon, temperature and rut phase probably has more to do with deer movement than with us poor guys who get to hunt the gauntlet public woods deer. With 600,000 of us out there on opening day, deer movement patterns are more determined by human hunting pressure. Smarter deer are nocturnal real early in the season. How do you get a nocturnal deer to move? You jump him up and then he isn't nocturnal any longer. Lots of us think that we are great stand site pickers, but in reality your deer probably got moved into you by some guy walking around after you got to your stand.

I only hunt public land and hear all the excuses. Hell, I've used them. Fact is, most of WI hunters are lousy at hunting. The only gauntlet we need to dodge is when the packer games starts and everyone hits the trucks at 10am. It's the best time to be in the woods for the "free" deer drive.
I work from home now so at lunch today I went out to check 0 on a couple rifles that I "might" get to hunt with. I went to pin up a target on my 100 yd back stop and jumped a whopper of a buck and what I assume was a hot doe tucked up against the backside of the backstop in the tall grass. They let me get inside 20 yds before bolting. Yeah - moon or no moon I'm planning 2 all day sits this weekend. I just got excited.

I was under quarantine last year opening week but I went anyway. I figured there's no better place to social distance than the woods.
Can't believe y'all don't start until now way up there.

Were I to hunt tomorrow I'd go midday. It's been deer season since September here. Freezers full. I'm out of enthusiasm. Time to tree some squirrels.
Fact is, most of WI hunters are lousy at hunting. The only gauntlet we need to dodge is when the packer games starts and everyone hits the trucks at 10am. It's the best time to be in the woods for the "free" deer drive.

Ain't that the truth !
© 24hourcampfire