Home
Posted By: CRS Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
I had a great bow season shooting a nice buck in September. Rifle season did not go as planned and a doe for the freezer on the last day will provide meat for sausage making this winter.

Went into the muzzleloader season that started Dec 1 looking a big mule deer. South Dakota's muzzleloader season runs Dec 1 through Jan 1. ANY deer and statewide, which makes it a highly coveted tag . I had 8 years preference but most take 5 years. Had no intentions of taking a whitetail, unless something special came along. After covering a bunch of ground, and coming out of the woods, I came face to face with this one. Certainly good enough to end my season on Dec 4th

In all of my hunting saw; elk, mule deer, whitetail, coyote, fox, bald eagle, turkey, ruffed grouse, sharptail grouse, golden and bald eagles.

With the dry warm weather was able to access some of my favorite high country. Enjoyed the 4 days of hunting and certainly was not expecting to end the season so soon. But when a great opportunity presents, you take it. Absolutely thrilled with how it turned out.

TC Triumph fiber optic open sights, 82.2gr (weighed) BH 209. Harvester black sabot and Hornady .452 diameter FTX. Shot was 40 yards, and the deer went maybe 30 yards.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: strosfann Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Helluva Black Hills buck right there! Loved that bladed G2 and double brow tine on the L side.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Congrats on a real nice muzzleloader Buck. I would be more than happy to end the season with that big boy.
Wowzer!!!!
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Beautiful old buck! Especially for the Hill country!
Posted By: CRS Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
My favorite is the upswept left main beam. Always thought that was a cool feature on antlers.
Posted By: Hawkeye_Reloader Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Congrats đź‘Ť
Posted By: pullit Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Very nice for sure
Congrats
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Outstanding buck !

Congrats !
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Beautiful buck - congrats!
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Dandy buck!
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Nice buck! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: 805 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Awesome BH buck! Congrats on the success this season!
Posted By: Region6 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Well done!
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/10/21
Awesome buck very nicely posed, congratulations !
Posted By: Blueboy Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
CRS, did you weigh him….heavy looking fo sho! You not only got a nice one but oh what memories for this winter as you think back on the season you had. That is worth more than anything…..you been blessed beyond words. Let one walk at last light today that have seen couple times this season hoping he makes it thru our rifle season…. another memory to dream about for the year and hope to have other encounters with him next year….get more out of that than pulling the trigger on one. Must be getting old in my old age.
Posted By: CRS Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
I went into this muzzleloader season with the mindset of absolutely getting the most out of the season and not caring if I filled the tag or not. I too am getting a little older and getting more satisfaction out of the hunt, country, friends, family and experiences. Success is always nice, but the journey is just as important any more. Along those lines I am enjoying the processing part immensely, from field dressing to table.

I thought I passed up a lot of bucks last year, but I passed up even more this year. Enjoyed the hunt even more, and am already excited for next year.

I did not weigh the buck, but he was easily over 200 pounds, which is about as big as I have seen Black Hills WT's get. My archery deer weighed 225# and was the biggest deer I have taken in the Hills. I attribute that to the fact that we had a mild winter last year and are on track for another this year. We have been running about 20 degrees above average, and that certainly makes wintering easier on the herd.

I have shot some heavier ones out on the prairie and back in eastern SD farm country in years past. But I prefer hunting the Black Hills hands down. Even though the deer are not as big, the experience for me is much better. . Rattling, grunting, sitting, and oozing along the ridges all have worked. And sometimes just plain old luck plays a hand. grin
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
Nice one. Congrats.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
What a beauty. How'd the FTX do, I used them them year but didn't shoot anything to know how they do.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
Congrats on a heck of a buck !
Posted By: ribka Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
Nice one!
Posted By: CRS Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
Originally Posted by DANNYL
What a beauty. How'd the FTX do, I used them them year but didn't shoot anything to know how they do.

I really like how it performed, broke ribs going in and out and did not make a mess like some mz bullets I have used. Lungs were a destroyed.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
Nice deer. What a toad!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
Nice! Congratulations!!!
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/11/21
glad you had a great hunt. Solid deer...
Posted By: saddlering Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/12/21
I'm thinking you couldn't ask for a better Buck, what a Dandy! Congrads!
Posted By: SKane Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/12/21
Another dandy whitetail for ya! Congrats!
Posted By: roverboy Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/12/21
Great buck. congratulations.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/12/21
Congrats.....that is great buck.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/21
Nice buck, congratulations.
Posted By: skeen Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/21
Beautiful buck, man, congrats! Love the SD hills country.
Posted By: tzone Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/21
Wow what a great buck in the most beautiful country the USA has to offer. Congrats on a beauty!
Posted By: tzone Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/21
Originally Posted by CRS
And sometimes just plain old luck plays a hand. grin

That's pretty much how I get my deer. laugh
Posted By: Raeford Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/21
Very nice
Congrats!
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/21
heck yeah!!

i had a ton of fun last year creeping around the hills with the bow.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/21
Great muzzy buck - congrats
© 24hourcampfire