Home
Posted By: Spring A deer at the end of a rainbow - 12/20/21
Last year a rainbow came out while I was hunting and I imagined how cool it would be if a buck happened to step out under it. Well, one did and I took some pics of before it wandered off. Here a couple of them:

[Linked Image from content.invisioncic.com]

Well yesterday while hunting in the same spot, that same buck happened to come out from the same place as last year and posed for me by the same sawtooth oak; Both the buck and the tree are now a bit bigger. Anyway, it's cool how bucks can be pretty territorial and often do the same things over and over--even when its a year apart. You can really see the antler growth too from one year to the next.

Anyway, while the deer didn't appear to have a pot of gold, he did get to live on for another day..... smile
Cool!

He'll be ready for the cover of GON next year!

Mike
That's pretty cool and I hope he makes an appearance for you next year.
Originally Posted by SKane

.....I also hope he shows up when my son gets after him sometime in the days ahead, too.... smile
Nice pics.
I was bear hunting one time hard rain hit and I got wet then the sun poped out and 3 rain bows appeared, looked back at the bait and my 1st black bear was there!
Great pictures and a very nice buck
Thanks for the cool pics!
Good luck to the son!
High, wide, and handsome buck...
Originally Posted by Spring
Originally Posted by SKane

.....I also hope he shows up when my son gets after him sometime in the days ahead, too.... smile

Even better. smile
spectacular...
I am sure many are wondering here as I am why you didn't shoot?
Dang fine Buck and nice pics, good luck to your son.
Where’s home? I’m in Lee co.
Shelby county
Fine bucks
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

I'll admit I wanted to! Well, a month ago I shot another one, that's about enough for me. Now I hope my son can get this one to show up. If we never see him again, I'm sure I'll regret passing him up… 😵‍💫
THANKS FOR SHARING.
Awesome
You have arrived when you can pass on one and let someone else kill him. Hope your son gets his chance.
By the way did you plant that sawtooth oak?

How old is it?

Any growing tips?
Thanks
Posted By: CBB Re: A deer at the end of a rainbow - 12/24/21
Great deer and cool pictures!

Glad to see him by that sawtooth. I've planted about 30 of them on my land. Hope to put some more in this year also
I got 10 or so bare root sawtooth oak coming from Georgia in February. Willis orchards.

From Sheffield seeds

I bought a pound of seed I am cold stratifying until my fiber pots get delivered.
note to self: Hunt under rainbows for big deer...
Thanks for sharing, great buck
Originally Posted by Angus1895
By the way did you plant that sawtooth oak?

How old is it?

Any growing tips?
Thanks

I've got a good many of them planted around my farm. They're easy to grow, but I would recommend putting a plastic tree trunk protector around them to keep bucks from wearing them out during rut. There are two sized nuts available as well. I have some planted around a duck impoundment that have the smaller nuts; have the bigger ones planted where deer might like them.

As for the age of that tree....Hmmmm... Probably around 7 years old though I can't recall exactly. I had a fellow that used to help me at my farm go around and plant some a while back.
Once again awesomeness

Merry Christmas spring!

Hope u get that buck…….

Or not.

It’s all good
Originally Posted by Blueboy
You have arrived when you can pass on one and let someone else kill him. Hope your son gets his chance.

Agreed, I also hope your son gets to see him in his crosshairs. Good luck to the both of you.
Originally Posted by Spring
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

I'll admit I wanted to! Well, a month ago I shot another one, that's about enough for me. Now I hope my son can get this one to show up. If we never see him again, I'm sure I'll regret passing him up… 😵‍💫

That other explains why you passed the rainbow buck
That's a good looking buck, made for some good pics
© 24hourcampfire