Home
22 hunters signed in at the camp for the 9 day gun season. We added more acreage of public land to hunt and we are at about 3000 acres (neighbors and mine). We also hunt a bunch of public land, too.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

To be continued...
Wisconsin 2021 gun deer season continued...

roundoak, Very nice deer, happy hunters, well done. Rio7
Very good season I'd say. There's some very nice busks there. I ate tag soup. Just didn't see anything that I wanted to shoot.
Absolutely hammer bucks!
Awesome bucks and season!! Is that a Miller High Life blaze orange hat?
The local taxidermist must absolutely love your group. laugh
Always my favorite post of the year!

Thanks for sharing.
That's a lot of bone! Wowzers
A bunch of very nice bucks.
Originally Posted by SKane
The local taxidermist must absolutely love your group. laugh
Always my favorite post of the year!

Thanks for sharing.

One of the hunters at camp is doing some euro work for some of the guys.
unbelievable.
Holy buckets you guys are shooting some nice bucks!
Let's see...22 hunters in camp...13 really nice bucks plus another with mz...fantastic success rate! I'm obviously doing something(s) wrong. smile Great post, as usual.
Originally Posted by 805

Yes, "The Champagne of Bottle Beer."
I don’t know what else to say at this point other than WOW! and congrats!

Look forward to this post each year.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by 805

Yes, "The Champagne of Bottle Beer."

I believe it’s the Champagne of all beers!” grin
Damn Roundoak that’s some serious buck mojo +P!!!
How do you have so many huge bucks on one farm (well two).

It's like Heaven.

LOL
I can't imagine putting together 3,000 contiguous acres in that part of the country would be very easy.

You're blessed!
Originally Posted by kingston
I can't imagine putting together 3,000 contiguous acres in that part of the country would be very easy.

You're blessed!
Not contiguous acres. Some parcels as small as 20 acres prime habitat.
Some hammers. Nice work 👍
Originally Posted by kingston

You're blessed!
Not contiguous acres. Some parcels as small as 20 acres prime habitat.

That makes more sense given your topography!
Man that’s awesome deer there and prime hunting grounds. Lots of nice deer for short season
There's some good chewin there! Awesome job , Dudes!
Y'all done good
Thanks for sharing, every year I look for you and Skane's post. very nice Bucks!!
roundoak,

Your camp should get the 2021 "Big Buck" award for every hunter. Geezz....a great hunting area and camp for all who scored big this year.
I can’t imagine a 9 day gun season. I’d have to move.

Our archery season is 9/12->10/9. Primitive weapons 10/10->10/16. Gun season 10/17->1/10.
Really nice bunch of deer for sure. congrats to all
Roundoak, Outstanding deer, but I've been reading here long enough to realize that your group does this year after year and as a northern woods hunter, I wonder how that southwest country can grow those big ones every year and not deplete the resource?
Originally Posted by Windfall
Roundoak, Outstanding deer, but I've been reading here long enough to realize that your group does this year after year and as a northern woods hunter, I wonder how that southwest country can grow those big ones every year and not deplete the resource?

Jeff,
Ya don't see any 2.5 and 3.5 y/o bucks in the picts, do ya? whistle laugh
Fabulous ! That last one looks like it has some muley genetics.

Jeff,

Maybe a 3.5 now and again. QDM at its finest. My boys hunt that neck of the woods and the wife is getting pissed at the taxidermy bill every year. Some years back the DNR proposed a trophy only county, Taylor I think, but it never happened. Private land, outstanding food, no winter stress and the predators are mostly two legged.
Holy moly. Great bucks. Thanks for sharing.

As an aside,
I love walking into a fancy Steakhouse or other restaurant with coworkers or friends, sitting down and watch everyone order their wine and expensive cocktails, then asking the waitress if they have high life and ordering one of those. My wife knows I'm gonna do it every time.
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Fabulous ! That last one looks like it has some muley genetics.

Funny you should say that. When I first saw that bucks face I thought mulie.
There are some real toads in that bunch - thanks for the pix.

Jeff,

Maybe a 3.5 now and again. QDM at its finest. My boys hunt that neck of the woods and the wife is getting pissed at the taxidermy bill every year. Some years back the DNR proposed a trophy only county, Taylor I think, but it never happened. Private land, outstanding food, no winter stress and the predators are mostly two legged.

Plenty of wolves, bears, and coyotes in Taylor Co. hell, there’s wolves and coyotes down by RO. Plenty of public land too.
Some real studs there ,
Are these taken thru drives or stand hunts? combo?
CONGRATS. Nice looking bucks.
Originally Posted by rong
Some real studs there ,

Stands, drives, still hunting and one while spreading manure.
BIG BUCK MANIA !

👍🏼🦫
Some real studs there ,

I'm all about learning new tricks – now I have to buy a manure spreader to add to the repertoire. laugh
Some real studs there ,

I'm all about learning new tricks – now I have to buy a manure spreader to add to the repertoire. laugh

That's right Scott, just another arrow in the quiver.

It was the Tuesday after the opening, the hired man and I were cleaning a corral floor after shipping out a truckload of fat cattle. He took out the second load of manure and spotted a buck nudging a couple of does at the field edge. Uncased his Remington 7mm mag, climbed out of the tractor cab, loaded two cartridges, took his pliers and banged on the side of the spreader, the buck turned towards him and he pulled the trigger. He showed up at the yard with a nice buck draped over the spreader tongue. The story unfolded and I asked him why he banged on the spreader with the pliers. He replied: "I wanted to sound natural". laugh
The story unfolded and I asked him why he banged on the spreader with the pliers. He replied: "I wanted to sound natural". laugh

laugh laugh
I love it. Actually pretty good foresight on his part.

Some years ago my buddy was guiding a "distinguished" SCI member on a whitetail hunt in the heartland.
The hunter was in a blind on a nearby property and my buddy saw one of the best bucks his outfit would have ever produced in a draw not too far away.
He radioed the hunter and told him he'd pick him up to make a play on the buck.

They drove through the pasture and sure enough, the buck was with a doe not far from where he was initially spotted. My bud drove to within two hundred yards of the buck and the hunter was ordered to step out of the truck and shoot the buck. The hunter INSISTED by bud shut the truck off and my bud explained the buck would run if he did that. Of course, it turned into a heated discussion (time wastin') and the infuriated hunter finally got his wish.

The buck ran, the red-faced blowhard missed the buck (now in overdrive) then proceeded to berate my bud to no end.
Some real studs there ,

Plenty of it being spread around here! grin
The story unfolded and I asked him why he banged on the spreader with the pliers. He replied: "I wanted to sound natural". laugh

laugh laugh

Some years ago my buddy was guiding a "distinguished" SCI member on a whitetail hunt in the heartland.
The hunter was in a blind on a nearby property and my buddy saw one of the best bucks his outfit would have ever produced in a draw not too far away.

They drove through the pasture and sure enough, the buck was with a doe not far from where he was initially spotted. My bud drove to within two hundred yards of the buck and the hunter was ordered to step out of the truck and shoot the buck. The hunter INSISTED by bud shut the truck off and my bud explained the buck would run if he did that. Of course, it turned into a heated discussion (time wastin') and the infuriated hunter finally got his wish.

The buck ran, the red-faced blowhard missed the buck (now in overdrive) then proceeded to berate my bud to no end.

laugh mad
Originally Posted by tzone
Some real studs there ,

Yeh, T it can get real deep sometimes. laugh

laugh laugh

Wow, and karma for the “distinguished” hunter…LOL
Congrats on a fine season.. 60% on some dandies!
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader

Wow, and karma for the “distinguished” hunter…LOL

Yep. He sure didn't appreciate being told he was wrong.
If I revealed it, most would know the name or have seen his trophy room photos on the internet.
He passed away 5/6-ish years ago.

I digress. Back to celebrating roundoak's crew!
Look forward to this post every year. So very many great bucks shot out of that camp. I bet it's not boring outside of the hunting either.
Originally Posted by tzone
Some real studs there ,

Yeh, T it can get real deep sometimes. laugh

With deer hunting stories, I wouldn’t want it any other way.
Very nice deer indeed.What a great experience for that hunting group. In case anyone thinks this is representative though of deer hunting in Wisconsin it is not. Much of the public land in Wisconsin, especially in the North, offers marginal deer hunting at best. There are of course a few exceptions but not many.
Outstanding season fellas! Lots of smiles all around.
Congrats to all your hunters. Outstanding deer 👍
Absolutely Wow !!! Great Job guys.. A lot of restraint in years past ....
Incredible.

I assume the Wisconsin season general coincides with the rut?
Outstanding!
Depends on the year. This year I didn’t see much rut action during rifle season. The week before was active.
I just saw this thread. Those are some great deer. I cannot get over how big the bodies are or at least look in some of the photos.

Thanks for sharing.
© 24hourcampfire