Home
Posted By: powdr Help w/ a portable blind - 01/18/22
Here a while back in a blind thread a guy had a what looked like a 4-5 panel blind he was carrying with a handle like a briefcase. I think he said the blind weighed around 50lbs. I've searched the 24hr search engine to no avail. Can someone help me out. Thanks, powdr
These come i a nice carry bag

Posted By: Windfall Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/18/22
50 pounds! Have you ever considered a ghillie suit? I ordered one for Halloween last year and I'm kind of anxious to try it out bow hunting this year. It fits in a back pack and turns a person into a bush. About sixty bucks on Amazon and I had a a ball with it fooling little kids just feet away next to the front porch.
Posted By: tzone Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
These come i a nice carry bag

Those things are pretty wild. Until last week I've only seen pictures and thought they'd be flimsy. They're not at all. I poked around in one at Scheels and thought they're pretty cool.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/19/22
Powdr, did you really mean to write 50 pounds for a portable ground blind? I just weighed my Barronett 250 Grounder and it came in at only 15 1/2 pounds with the carrying case and my Windsong (discontinued) blind is smaller and lighter than that.
Posted By: powdr Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/20/22
Yes, the guy looked like he was carrying 4 different panels and a top...all grouped together w/a handle attached. powdr
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by Windfall
50 pounds! Have you ever considered a ghillie suit? I ordered one for Halloween last year and I'm kind of anxious to try it out bow hunting this year. It fits in a back pack and turns a person into a bush. About sixty bucks on Amazon and I had a a ball with it fooling little kids just feet away next to the front porch.

I had the same thoughts until I bow hunted in it. I pulled the string back and all that chidt on the suit wrapped around the string.

Nope.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/20/22
Rooster7, I could sure see that happening especially with a bow. Since we can use a crossbow here during archery season, I do. I'll sure try a few practice shots ahead of time and some ghillie trimming might be in order. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/21/22
Originally Posted by Windfall
Rooster7, I could sure see that happening especially with a bow. Since we can use a crossbow here during archery season, I do. I'll sure try a few practice shots ahead of time and some ghillie trimming might be in order. Thanks for the heads up.

I would think you'd be alright with a crossbow but it's a good idea to check before you miss the buck of a lifetime. smile
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/21/22
https://www.hawkhunting.com/down-and-out-blinds/

Like these?
Powdr, go look at double bull ground blinds, I have 3 of them and they are really good blinds.
Posted By: Mike78 Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/21/22
I hunt fairly open hardwoods. Ground blinds look so out of place to me. Am I wrong to think that they won't work?
Posted By: cv540 Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/21/22
Originally Posted by Mike78
I hunt fairly open hardwoods. Ground blinds look so out of place to me. Am I wrong to think that they won't work?

Same thoughts I have. Sometimes for spring turkey hunting I bring a small shears and cut some honeysuckle that grows everywhere and stick it in the ground in front of me.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Powdr, go look at double bull ground blinds, I have 3 of them and they are really good blinds.

This is the one I was thinking about getting.
Posted By: Lonster Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/22/22

Here is a before and after pic that I took yesterday when I moved a pop-up blind.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You have to brush them in, break up the outline, place brush in front or they’re just big camo cube that spooks deer.
Posted By: Mike78 Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Lonster

Here is a before and after pic that I took yesterday when I moved a pop-up blind.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You have to brush them in, break up the outline, place brush in front or they’re just big camo cube that spooks deer.

Yes, that does look good, but you also have lots of brush around. I'm hunting very open hardwoods, but thank you for the photo
Posted By: dale06 Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

I have used double bulls for years, very good hub blinds.

No different then all of a sudden a ladder shows up leaning against a tree.

Mike
Posted By: Mike78 Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/22/22

Mike

I don't hunt from treestands
Posted By: SKane Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/23/22

Mike

There is indeed a difference. (Assuming occupancy just after it’s put up).
Posted By: old70 Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/23/22
I set up a tent blind at 12:30 during lunch at Fort Custer in 2006. Went back at 3:30 and there was a doe with two fawns looking into the window. I don’t think it bothered her. Shot a very nice 9 point out of it three days later.

Old70
Posted By: powdr Re: Help w/ a portable blind - 01/23/22
That's it Va. I would rather spend the extra hundred bucks and have the aluminum frame w/gun rests. Just makes sense the thing is going to last longer than normal pop ups simply by the way it's built. If you're scared about things that crawl on the ground they make an aluminum floor for it. It's a no brainer for me. Thanks bowhuntr. powdr
© 24hourcampfire