Home
Posted By: ndh19 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
My granddaughter is 11 yr old and wants to deer hunt. She has only shot a bb gun before. Just based on recoil would either caliber be better. We have our own shooting range and I reload so ammo or practice is not a issue. I have a creed but would be willing (thanks grandma) to buy a 7mm as a maybe lighter weight option.
Posted By: JPro Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
They are practically two peas in a pod. I'd go with whichever chambering in which you can find a suitable rifle. I believe the 6.5CM currently has the edge for rifle and ammo offerings/availability.

In any event, I'd start with some really light loads, like Blue Dot or Trail Boss and some plinker bullets. My kids liked the 260 and 7mm-08 with those powders and light Sierra HP bullets. After that, they graduated to H4198 loads with hunting bullets.
Posted By: ndh19 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
I should mention I have two .223 rems for training she could shoot all day long for practice but I prefer a heavier bullet for our sometimes large wisconsin deer
Posted By: lastround Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22

Either chambering you choose will do the job. I have used both on white tails, both have worked well.
Posted By: szihn Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
the 6.5CM will kick less and there will be little difference on deer sized game. The larger and heavier bullets that a 7-08 can use is of no real-world advantage for killing deer.

Of the 2 I prefer the 7-08, but I hunt elk every year and the larger heavier bullets that can be fired from the 7-08 please me a bit more for game over 400 pound'. But for deer I can't see any difference at all in the deadliness of one over the other, and less recoil IS an advantage for a smaller shooter.
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
Use the Creed , load it down with H-4895, increase wider as she gets older. She a little thing even now.

Granddaughter started with a loaded down 243 at 7 yrs old.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: pullit Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
As stated above they are about the same but I would choose the 6.5 for one reason only.
Reload with lighter bullets like a 100 gr NBT and down load it to around 25-2700 FPS and it should be a pussy cat.
Originally Posted by pullit
As stated above they are about the same but I would choose the 6.5 for one reason only.
Reload with lighter bullets like a 100 gr NBT and down load it to around 25-2700 FPS and it should be a pussy cat.

Yep,
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
If something new, my choice would be a 6mm CM, have one and like it lots!
Posted By: ndh19 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
Sounds like it will be the cm but I'll miss out on the new 7mm-08 , a caliber I don't have. Thanks for all the imput
Originally Posted by ndh19
Sounds like it will be the cm but I'll miss out on the new 7mm-08 , a caliber I don't have. Thanks for all the imput

Get one anyway, I think you would like it with 120 Barnes TTSX
Posted By: JPro Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
Probably the best answer is to get a 7mm-08 to go with his 6.5CM and then let the kiddo pick one. Best of both worlds and a win/win.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
My Daughter and both Granddaughters all have 7-08's. Started them with reduced loads. They all shoot the Tikka youth carbine model. Boy, are they one accurate rifle
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
No wrong answer here. Get whatever gun that you find first and fits . Both are excellent calibers.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
You can load that 7-08 down to about 2700-2800 with 120 BT's and it's a pussycat too, and it is a deer killing machine. Put a suppressor on it and it's even better for a kid.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
Your granddaughter wants to go deer hunting and shoot her own deer, you've all ready won. Don't fumble the ball now my vote goes to the 6.5 creed. Mb
Posted By: Kenneth Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/26/22
but I prefer a heavier bullet for our sometimes large wisconsin deer

I started out back in the day with a .243, still have it.
100 grain core-lokts stacked up quite a few deer here in Cheeseland.

There's really very little differences in any of the calibers being discussed here.

Whats the average shot in Wisconsin, 75 maybe a 100 yards?
Posted By: jc189 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
I have a 260, a 6.5 creed, and a 7-08. They all kill whitetail deer efficiently. I cant tell the difference between them from the stand point of dropping a deer. They all have threaded barrels. And with a muzzle brake on either one of them it cuts the recoil almost in half. I have 4 grandkids. They range from 4 to 9 years old. My grand daughter will be the first up to go deer hunting next season. so far she has been doing really well with her .22. But when she steps up to a hi powered rifle it will have a muzzle brake on it. Once she is comfortable with it and shooting it well we will try it without the brake. I think they are less likely to develop a flinch this way. I do not reload any more so this is another way of taming down the recoil.
Posted By: lastround Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
Originally Posted by lastround

Either chambering you choose will do the job. I have used both on white tails, both have worked well.

But for me, it’s the 7mm-08.
Posted By: ndh19 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
where we hunt shots could stretch out to 300 yds but most would be 150 or less.. I already have a Howa 1500 creed but it is on the heavier side. Something like a Ruger American could be a bit more comfortable for her. She,s not tiny but tall and slim. Her long arms should be no problem with standard length of pull.
hanco, Thats a great pic. the smile on her face is priceless.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
I would go 6.5 Creed - subtly more recoil than a .243. Many, many factory ammo options beyond a 7-08, many rifle options beyond the 7-08 & scary accurate out of the box equals a 7-08 in same rifles.

I’ve pushed this easy button twice and couldn’t be more happy that I did & and I’m a stubborn Dane! Took me 13 years to try it. Just bought a T3x for my youngest daughter to fiddle with once she masters the 222. Of course I’ll be making sure it’s OK till she’s ready 😜
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
Originally Posted by jc189
But when she steps up to a hi powered rifle it will have a muzzle brake on it. I think they are less likely to develop a flinch this way. .

You must really hate the kid. Get her a suppressor, rather than a brake. Nothing induces flinching like the concussion of a brake.......
Yea your right a suppressor would be even better. But with good hearing protection a brake has never been a problem, only to who ever is standing on either side lol.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
Either one with a suppressor is pressing the easy button
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
6.5CM has recoil closer to 243 than 7-08. At least where I live ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to find.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
Originally Posted by JMR40
6.5CM has recoil closer to 243 than 7-08. At least where I live ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to find.

It's closer to the 7-08 than .243 with commonly used hunting loads, but rifle fit and weight can make a big difference.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
Don't know how supplies are in Calgary Jordan but around here in South Dakota jmr40 hit it on the nail head as far as availibility goes.
.mb
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Don't know how supplies are in Calgary Jordan but around here in South Dakota jmr40 hit it on the nail head as far as availibility goes.
.mb

Same for around here. I was responding to the recoil comment.
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
I happen to favor 7mm-08, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
Only two pages so far....?

Last Creed/7-08 thread went around 18 pages, still cranking last time I looked.

DF
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
My granddaughter is 11 yr old and wants to deer hunt. She has only shot a bb gun before. Just based on recoil would either caliber be better. We have our own shooting range and I reload so ammo or practice is not a issue. I have a creed but would be willing (thanks grandma) to buy a 7mm as a maybe lighter weight option.

Since you already have the Creedmoor I'd go that route. Same situation comparing 6.5 Creedmoor / .260 / 6.5x55 vs 7mm-08 as with comparing 7mm-08 vs .308. If you have either one working well there's not a lot of point in buying the other. It's not 'til you start trying to do something neither is ideal for that you see much separation between them, for their best uses they're functionally equal.

One plus to the Creedmoor .. you can load light 100 grain partitions .. or even ballistic tips .. to modest speed and have a pretty solid killer without a lot of recoil.

Tom
Posted By: StGeorger Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
My humble suggestion would be a .243. My late uncle was a.gun nut deluxe after wwii. Had an 8mm/06 on a beautiful commercial mauser brought back from germany. He also had a .257 Rogers 40° improved. As be got older he sold both and used a scoped .243 for his northern Minnesota deer hunting. Said he didn't need anything more.

Depending on the size of the kids, there may be a few youth models.around for a better fit.

Good luck, and it's great of you to pass down the love of shooting and hunting.
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/27/22
Originally Posted by JPro
They are practically two peas in a pod. I'd go with whichever chambering in which you can find a suitable rifle. I believe the 6.5CM currently has the edge for rifle and ammo offerings/availability.

In any event, I'd start with some really light loads, like Blue Dot or Trail Boss and some plinker bullets. My kids liked the 260 and 7mm-08 with those powders and light Sierra HP bullets. After that, they graduated to H4198 loads with hunting bullets.

^^this...

I have both and they both work very well for what you are wanting to do
Posted By: Jstocks Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/28/22
I recently bought a Creedmoor from a member on here. For my daughters, I purchased some 140 grain HSM reduced recoil ammo. 100 yard shot on a 2.5 year old Alabama buck entered just at the leg/shoulder bone about 1/3 up the body and exited a quarter size hole opposite center shoulder. Caught bone going in and bone going out. Needless to say, I was very impressed.

For bigger whitetails like in Wisconsin, I would not shoot light bullets in any caliber unless it’s open farmland or wood lots where sight tracking or snow potentially may aid in blood trailing. Down here in the thick South, I want an entrance hole…..and an exit.

I’m not sure what the rifle will do with other ammo, but this browning micro Midas x bolt combo with this ammo is the most accurate rifle I’ve likely ever shot. That being said, when I say accurate, I can prop up on a bag and shoot nickel size dots on a target at 100 yards. No sled, just propped up.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/28/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have both and it'd likely come down to rifle preference over chambering - especially for a reloader.

Originally Posted by Jstocks

For bigger whitetails like in Wisconsin, I would not shoot light bullets in any caliber unless it’s open farmland or wood lots where sight tracking or snow potentially may aid in blood trailing. Down here in the thick South, I want an entrance hole…..and an exit.

Well, I reckon I've been doing it wrong. blush
I've yet to catch a light bullet in a deer here (WI).
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/28/22
I think “light bullet” needs further designation as to what type.

DF
Posted By: CRS Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/28/22
The rifle is more important than the cartridge in this scenario.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/28/22
The correct answer is to own at least one of each. Thank me later. grin
Posted By: Bobcat85 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Correct answer!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I think “light bullet” needs further designation as to what type.

DF

I agree. I've seen plenty of evidence on what "light" 95gr ballistic tips launched from the landowner's son's 243, will do to big mule deer bucks.
Posted By: CRS Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/28/22

Of course that IS the answer, might as well throw a 6mm of some type in there too. cool
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by CRS

Of course that IS the answer, might as well throw a 6mm of some type in there too. cool

That’s the spirit!

It’s the answer the OP was looking for, too. Give the people what they want. grin
Posted By: WAM Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/29/22
Do I need to go buy both to see if either is better than a .257 Roberts or .275 Rigby?

I’m thinking not….
Posted By: mathman Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/29/22
That would depend on your definition of better.
Posted By: Igloo Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/29/22
Figure here, I've heard of enough moose shoot-throughs with a 6.5mm bullet that I'm not sweating it. 6.5 CM it is. I don't want to test a heavy leg bone with it but that holds true with bigger cartridges/calibers too.

Guessing there won't be a lot of on game difference between a 130-140 gr 6.5mm bullet of good construction vs a 150-160 gr bullet of the same in 7mm but I haven't used either enough to say much besides they kill deer just fine.

Some day, I hope.

Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/29/22
Just bought a 7mm-08 going to experiment with that for a while.
Posted By: smallfry Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/29/22
One is pragmatic and the other is idealistic a 7mm-08.
Posted By: shootem Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/29/22
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by pullit

Yep,

Yep2 y’all. A 100gr Hornady at 2500 to 2600 does more than you might think. That’s the speed a lot of folks are getting out of 5.56 ARs with the mind numbing and magical 77gr TMK. And in a 20” Model 7 the recoil is cream puffish. At 100 yards the crosshairs don’t leave the target. In a couple years as she becomes more tolerant just ease up to full charge 100gr TTSX and shoot whatever presents itself.
Posted By: ndh19 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 01/30/22
Thanks for all the info. Grand daughter turned 12 Friday and said she is ready to learn gun safety and start shooting. As soon as our cold winter breaks we'll head to the range and start burning 22lr. We can go 223 rem ,6.5cm , and 270 win from there until she finds a load she is comfortable shooting. then Grandma can pop for a new rifle. (I hope not pink). I'm thinking reduced creedmoor loads since I already reload and have a rifle she can shoot. Again , thanks for all the imput , NDH
Posted By: WAM Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/01/22
Originally Posted by mathman
That would depend on your definition of better.

I think you are right.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/01/22
This little Tikka T3x compact is right on 7lbs with the heavy Warne verticals. The 127gr LRX & 129gr HIL oughta take most of what my daughter is interested in. Recoil is pleasant but indeed more than a .243 of equal weight. You might not really need that 270 you mentioned…😜

Have a great day! Fun thread to read.
Posted By: pete53 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/01/22
i just got my grandson a used 257 Roberts Ruger #1 1-B off of here the 24 hr. campfire that`s what he will use next fall . last year because his other rifle had a problem so grandson used my 257 Weatherby mag. Ruger #1 i gave him a choice either watch the deer or shoot ? 10 yr. old grandson said i `m shoot`n and shot a nice doe at 125 yards and he was very proud as i was ,but grandson did say grandpa your rifle kicks to much, the shot was a bang,flop doe and grandson pushed back hard .it was kinda funny !
Posted By: Savedbygrace2001 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/01/22
Personally I like the 7mm-08 better, I had a 6.5 creedmoor, but honestly they are really close and recoil is very mild.
My son is turning 8 this comming year and will use the 7mm-08. He would have used it the past 2 years, but killed his bucks with grandpas crossbow.
Either caliber is good for youth
Posted By: mathman Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/01/22
Originally Posted by Savedbygrace2001

They're also good for grown men who don't have a need to drive a monster truck to the corner store. grin
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/02/22
Originally Posted by Savedbygrace2001

They're also good for grown men who don't have a need to drive a monster truck to the corner store. grin

Yep. That’s me these days. Leaning on efficient performance is fun in its own right.
Posted By: killerv Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/02/22
708, my 10yo has been shooting a model 7 for the last two years, graduated from a ruger compact in 260. I also shoot a 708.

I shot a 6.5 with 120bts in a kimber hunter and it would stomp you, my model 7 708 synthetic is much sweeter shooting with 120s. Both have similar recoil pads. I was really surprised by the recoil of the 6.5. The guy that bought it was shooting a 708, he is now back shooting his old 708.
Posted By: mathman Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/02/22
That's more than likely because of how the stocks fit the shooters.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/02/22
I should mention I have two .223 rems for training she could shoot all day long for practice but I prefer a heavier bullet for our sometimes large wisconsin deer

Good on you for doing this. That is something I would have brought up, had you not said it. I've seen some kids ruined because their dads started them out on something that recoils too much for them. They develop bad habits that are hard to break, like flinching and losing focus when they should really be learning marksmanship without getting beat up. A 223 is an excellent stepping stone. A 243w is also a great choice in cartridge for deer hunting as well. You may also want to consider low recoil factory ammo for either of the cartridges you are thinking about buying. Like someone else said, the 2 cartridges are like 2 peas in a pod. I have some of each and love them. If elk were on the menu, I'd probably lean more towards the 7mm08 with a mono metal like the 140gr TTSX. Worked great for me last season on the bull I shot. The creedmoor would probably do about the same with the right bullet, but for some reason my preference was for the 7mm... Good luck with it!!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/02/22
Only two pages so far....?

Last Creed/7-08 thread went around 18 pages, still cranking last time I looked.

DF

DF, its a good subject matter. What bothers me in the other thread is the guys that are so totally against the creedmoor, yet have never tried one. I have both and love them both. Both excellent cartridges. The creedmoor edges out the 7mm08 in consistent accuracy, but the 7mm isn't far behind it. As for recoil, they are 2 peas in a pod. The creedmoor has more factory ammo available at different stores I've visited and that may be a consideration to someone that doesn't roll their own. I also like seeing the 7mm08 holding its own against the creed as far as popularity is concerned. Both great cartridges that guys need to give a fair shake to and quit being offended by some new cartridges coming out, because some points are very valid. Like the inherent accuracy of the creed. Its real and not all hype. Guys that use them know this.. A lot of guys posting in this thread have and use both, so that is great to see. I have respect for both cartridges.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/04/22
Well stated.

DF
Posted By: pete53 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/04/22
i built a rifle in 7mm-08 before any gun manufacture ever chambered one its a great cartridge , i also own a few 6.5 Creedmoor`s and a 257 Creedmoor both are great cartridges too. but i have decided for my family grandson , granddaughter ,wife and daughter are going to all use the same cartridge so its simpler for them and myself , i even have had a rifle chambered with a new Brux barrel in a 257 Roberts so we all have the same grand old cartridge the 257 Roberts . The 257 Roberts may be a cartridge from the past but it will hang with the new cartridges i have mentioned , mine and my daughters have a 7 1/2 twist Brux barrels . these two rifles with the 7 1/2 twist 257 Roberts just might have a little better ballistic when shooting 135 VLD Berger bullets . sometimes an old toy is fun too and can do as well as a new toy , besides you can not buy a Winchester model 70 pre 64 in a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 7mm - 08 in this fine old rifle but you still can find a rifle with history a Winchester model 70 pre 64 in a 257 Roberts or a 7 x 57 Mauser both have value and are a great old rifles ! good luck with your choice all are good cartridges , Pete53
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/05/22
I don't see much difference in deer kills with the Creed, Swede, 7-08 or Roberts.

Bottom line is about the same, deer hanging in the skinning shed.

Now, as a Loony, I do like to split hairs....

DF
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/05/22
I don't see much difference in deer kills with the Creed, Swede, 7-08 or Roberts.

Bottom line is about the same, deer hanging in the skinning shed.

Now, as a Loony, I do like to split hairs....

DF

Just about anything works on deer. Including .224 cal and even rimfires. No need to split hairs in this case.. I have a buddy that only uses his trusty 22-250 on deer and it flattens them.
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/07/22
I like them both, but I chose the 7mm-08. In Kentucky, my state of residence, they have a minimum .277 caliber requirement for elk. Although I believe that with good shot placement, the 6.5 would do the job, it would not be legal in my state in the event I get drawn for the elusive Kentucky elk tag.
Posted By: lastround Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Just bought a 7mm-08 going to experiment with that for a while.

You are gonna love it.
Posted By: mathman Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by HCDH66
I like them both, but I chose the 7mm-08. In Kentucky, my state of residence, they have a minimum .277 caliber requirement for elk. Although I believe that with good shot placement, the 6.5 would do the job, it would not be legal in my state in the event I get drawn for the elusive Kentucky elk tag.

Some game regs are simply dumb. A 7mm-08 is good to go, but a 6.5-300 Weatherby is inadequate by rule. crazy
Posted By: pete53 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/08/22

Some game regs are simply dumb. A 7mm-08 is good to go, but a 6.5-300 Weatherby is inadequate by rule. crazy

and the 30 -30 is ok too sometimes i wonder who makes the law/rules ? common sense just doesn`t always apply
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/08/22

Agreed. But that reg made the final deciding factor in my decision.

On another note, I have really liked the 7mm-08. My particular rifle shoots great with Hornady 139 gr. GMX in factory ammo. My son and I have taken 9 deer with it.
Posted By: winfw01 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/11/22
I have two Tikkas in 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor. They are both excellent hunting rifles but I prefer the 7mm-08 for deer hunting.
Posted By: MGunns Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/12/22
Thanks for all the info. Grand daughter turned 12 Friday and said she is ready to learn gun safety and start shooting. As soon as our cold winter breaks we'll head to the range and start burning 22lr. We can go 223 rem ,6.5cm , and 270 win from there until she finds a load she is comfortable shooting. then Grandma can pop for a new rifle. (I hope not pink). I'm thinking reduced creedmoor loads since I already reload and have a rifle she can shoot. Again , thanks for all the imput , NDH

You're right on track. Shoot as much 22 lr as she can stand. It's the best introduction to shooting there is. To keep with the original post In my opinion the Creedmoor recoils less and has less muzzle flash than the 7-08.

Best of luck to you
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/12/22
Originally Posted by winfw01
I have two Tikkas in 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor. They are both excellent hunting rifles but I prefer the 7mm-08 for deer hunting.

I shoot a 7mm08. Im interested in why you favor the 7mm08 for deer hunting. Since you have both chamberings in the same rifle I would value your opinion.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/12/22
Boarmaster123

I also have 2 Tikka's in both 7mm-08 (T3 in a McMillan Sako Hunter stock) and 6.5 CM (T3x Superlite in a B&C Medalist stock). I like both rifles equally well but IF I had to make a choice of one cal. I too would choose the 7mm-08 over the CM.

My Tikka's both shoot the same accuracy wise and at the distances I shoot for almost all of my hunting (which is 300 yds max.) I think the 7mm-08 is a more versatile cal. based on bullet weights alone, especially for game larger than deer.
Posted By: Tony22 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 02/20/22
I have 2 daughters myself. The older one is a brute and the younger is kind of petite. My oldest was firing a .270 by that age, but I consider her an exception to the rule. I think I would go for the lower recoil. I think she would enjoy shooting it more and there isn't a ton of difference. I just bought a 350 legend for my 9 year old. 20% less recoil than a .243 and you can sling 150-180 grain. You might want to look into the 350 also.
Posted By: DJTex Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/04/22
I’ve raised 7 hunters. 4 girls and 3 boys. First granddaughter just arrived...grin!!

My oldest boy killed his first doe the day before he turned 5. Most everyone else started close to the same age.

We started with BB guns - my youngest son cut his teeth shooting red wasps down by the stock tank when they’d come to water. He started earholing them to up the challenge, and we’ve all seen him hit them in the air with a little daisy. The kid can shoot.

He, and all the rest started with 4 power scopes on .22’s and worked up to .223’s.

They’ve literally killed hundreds of deer among them with .223’s running 55, 62 and 70 grain Barnes TSX’s, and quite a few 60g Partitions.

We drill shoulders and have stopped all of 2 bullets over the years and they’ve never lost a deer shooting .223’s. Central TX and some big south Texas Whitetail included. Mostly does, spikes and quite a few mature bucks - culls and trophy deer.

The only really bad shots came as we moved up to larger cartridges, although we did have a couple of follow up/tracking jobs on longer shots that were slightly back with .223’s - one because of wind, one a deflection off brush, and one from good ole buck fever - but we found them all.

I love the 7-08 - my go to for years. I’ve also got a couple of 6.5’s I really like.

However, I wouldn’t let a young (or even older) first time hunter use either if I had access to a .223 that shot TSX’s of any weight well and my shots were under 200 yards.

There’s no substitute for the confidence gained with years shooting .223’s with premium Bullets.

Whatever you use - protect their ears at all costs. That’s what will make them flinch.

Go with the best bullet and lowest recoil combination that makes sense. I like the fast .223 with a premium bullet at reasonable ranges. No recoil and good results come easy.

Best of success to you, and may God bless the time you spend hunting with kids.

DJ
Posted By: Dntnddb Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/04/22
I haven’t read through everything, but I find myself looking to get into lighter recoil guns, due to a shoulder replacement. When it comes to recoil it appears 6.5 is little lighter in terms of energy but does that translate to felt recoil as well?
Also for elk size game, are either adequate?
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/04/22
I had this issue and started my 7 YO with a .223. First with 64 Nosler Bonded Solid Base and now with 55 Hornady SP with cannelure. The .223 works fine with either and the 64 Nosler is one TOUGH bullet. Two of my kids have hunted with the Nosler as have I and it expands and then penetrates like crazy. I would not feel handicapped hunting cow elk with that bullet in a .223.

I let my son shoot a .243 the other day and he handled it fine but he's doing so well with his LH .223, I'm not going to rock the boat. I think he's killed four pigs in the last month with it.
Posted By: Brad Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/05/22
I guess I’m really not sure how this is a serious question.

If you’re a hand loader and have a chit-ton of 7-08 components, it’s your huckleberry.

If you’re a hand loader and have a chit-ton of 6.5 cm components, it’s your huckleberry.

If you’re not a hand loader, the 6.5 cm is your huckleberry.

If you want the lightest possible recoil between the two, the 6.5 cm is your huckleberry.

It’s simple - find out what’s your huckleberry.
Posted By: Dntnddb Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/05/22
Originally Posted by Brad
I guess I’m really not sure how this is a serious question.

If you’re a hand loader and have a chit-ton of 7-08 components, it’s your huckleberry.

If you’re a hand loader and have a chit-ton of 6.5 cm components, it’s your huckleberry.

If you’re not a hand loader, the 6.5 cm is your huckleberry.

If you want the lightest possible recoil between the two, the 6.5 cm is your huckleberry.

It’s simple - find out what’s your huckleberry.

That answered my question!
Posted By: MosesTucker Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/06/22
Use the Creed , load it down with H-4895, increase wider as she gets older. She a little thing even now.

This is awesome. What it is all about.

My daughters have 7mm-08’s and have killed a lot of game with them. I agree with a lot of guys here that they are so similar go with the best deal and ammo availability.
Posted By: ndh19 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/06/22
I appreciate all the excellent and practical advise. Right now she's a bean pole and I just watched her get beat up in a basketball game. But she's a gamer and I'm sure she'll do fine. Again, I reload so her father and myself are confident we can come up with a combo (load) she will be comfortable with. Also, practice for 5 other grandkids, two who are now 17 and want to finally shoot with grampa . Thanks again
Posted By: Dre Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/07/22
Both are great.
The only reason I ended up with 6.5 over the 7-08 is ammo availability on the shelves. This was Before the shortage. I do reload, but when you need ammo in a pinch, the 6.5 had much better selection and half the price.
I do wish the ammo manufacturers would push this caliber more
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/07/22

love this picture!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/07/22
Talked the neighbor into a 6.5 Creedmore and now he gets memes every evening. LOL
Posted By: Bugger Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/08/22
sort of like do you like two nickels or would you much prefer a dime.
Posted By: Timbo Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/08/22

I was just thinking 243 when I read your post. Both the 6.5 and 7mm/08 are great, but being set in my ways, I'd probably vote 243 if that were an option.
Posted By: snoeproe Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/09/22
I picked up a 243 for my 11yr old and 14yr old daughters last fall. They went from the 22lr to the 243. They handle the recoil without issue. Hearing protection is important also. The big boom noise can be intimidating. You never want to scare a young shooter with too much recoil and noise. That’s a recipe for disaster. It happened to me when I was very young. Dads old 30/30 Winchester walloped my shoulder blade and and scared me. I was just too young.
Posted By: lastround Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/09/22

Good luck with that Elk draw. I’ve had one cow draw since the lottery started, and my son has never been drawn.
Posted By: HCDH66 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/09/22
Originally Posted by lastround

Good luck with that Elk draw. I’ve had one cow draw since the lottery started, and my son has never been drawn.

Did you have any success on the cow elk hunt for which you were drawn?
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/13/22
Originally Posted by DJTex
I’ve raised 7 hunters. 4 girls and 3 boys. First granddaughter just arrived...grin!!

My oldest boy killed his first doe the day before he turned 5. Most everyone else started close to the same age.

We started with BB guns - my youngest son cut his teeth shooting red wasps down by the stock tank when they’d come to water. He started earholing them to up the challenge, and we’ve all seen him hit them in the air with a little daisy. The kid can shoot.

He, and all the rest started with 4 power scopes on .22’s and worked up to .223’s.

They’ve literally killed hundreds of deer among them with .223’s running 55, 62 and 70 grain Barnes TSX’s, and quite a few 60g Partitions.

We drill shoulders and have stopped all of 2 bullets over the years and they’ve never lost a deer shooting .223’s. Central TX and some big south Texas Whitetail included. Mostly does, spikes and quite a few mature bucks - culls and trophy deer.

The only really bad shots came as we moved up to larger cartridges, although we did have a couple of follow up/tracking jobs on longer shots that were slightly back with .223’s - one because of wind, one a deflection off brush, and one from good ole buck fever - but we found them all.

I love the 7-08 - my go to for years. I’ve also got a couple of 6.5’s I really like.

However, I wouldn’t let a young (or even older) first time hunter use either if I had access to a .223 that shot TSX’s of any weight well and my shots were under 200 yards.

There’s no substitute for the confidence gained with years shooting .223’s with premium Bullets.

Whatever you use - protect their ears at all costs. That’s what will make them flinch.

Go with the best bullet and lowest recoil combination that makes sense. I like the fast .223 with a premium bullet at reasonable ranges. No recoil and good results come easy.

Best of success to you, and may God bless the time you spend hunting with kids.

DJ

DJ my friend, it is good to see you back! Hope all is well, keep those youngsters shooting!
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/13/22
I've found with non-magnum short-action cartridges, the difference between them is fairly miniscule so long as the barrel is twisted right and you use an adequate bullet for the game you pursue.
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/13/22
Originally Posted by jc189
hanco, Thats a great pic. the smile on her face is priceless.

Thank you, she has grown a bit, be 19 in April, killed this with a Sako 270, tipped 130 gr. Bear Claws using the starting load.

Posted By: JGRaider Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/13/22
Great stuff hanco! Love it!
Posted By: DANNYL Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/13/22
I was thinking if she practices with a 223 just load up some 60gr partitions for hunting.
Posted By: ndh19 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/13/22
Hanco, great pic and a great deer caliber. I might be old fashioned but I have killed Wi does that easily weighed 160 lbs. Not huge but with the chance of heavy deer would feel better if my young hunters could handle a heavier bullet. Maybe 120 grs or better. Again, all great info.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: 6.5cm or 7mm-08 - 03/14/22
Imagine either should work fine, probably more important is rifle fit. Starting my grandkids out with a single shot 7-08. They shoot it well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire