Home
Posted By: JGRaider 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/01/22
For the first time in 16 years of hunting this property, I personally did not find a mule deer buck to kill. I'm going to chalk it up to mid Summer rains that produced 4 ft high weeds and dense brush, or maybe it was that I wasn't in the right place at the right time, or most likely I pretty much sucked. Actually I battled some health issues and didn't hunt near as much as I usually do. Oh well, still had a blast chasing those desert dwelling bucks here in West Texas.

I got to take a friend of mine on a quest for his first mule deer buck. To make a long story short I sat in the same place glassing for 4 hours, and about 1:30pm got lucky to spot a doe up feeding, followed by a buck, at about 1200 yards. By the time we got somewhat close to where we had last seen them we assumed they were gone. After another 30-45 minutes of us standing there looking, the doe came into view, followed by this very old buck. I guessed him at 7.5-8.5 years old. My buddy was ecstatic, and so was I.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I always enjoy taking the landowner's son hunting. He absolutely loves it, and he's getting good at it, in fact very good at it. He actually spotted this buck late one evening and got it killed right at dusk with his .243 Ruger and 95gr BT's. This is the best pic I got because it was cold, and getting late. We were a long way from the any road. Figured this buck as 7.5 as well.

This was one of my favorite mule deer hunts ever, with a very good friend from PA. We spotted this buck about a mile away with a doe in mesquites, tall grass and weeds. We were on top of a 10ft sandhill. The area he was in was very flat, and we couldn't see squat once we got close to where we guessed he was. To avoid jump shooting, scaring him off, etc I decided to set my buddy up on the sticks, and I started blowing my deer call. It wasn't 10 seconds after squawling on that call that the doe came hauling ass at us about 500 yards away, with the buck following. She'd stop, look, I'd hit the call, she'd come hauling ass again. Repeated that about 3 times until they were 150 yards away, and my buddy knocked him down with the first shot, stone cold dead. Another very old buck.

Posted By: rost495 Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/01/22
Very well done. Thats the kind of hunting I enjoy the most that ya'll get to do!

Hoping your health has recovered
Posted By: SKane Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/01/22
JG-

Hot damn, the grizzled oldies - I love it.
You've killed enough good ones for three lifetimes - sometimes not pulling the trigger is just as fulfilling.

Hope you're back to 100%.
Posted By: skeen Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/01/22
Those are great bucks - kudos to you and your hunting partners!
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/01/22
I Hope you are all healed up JG.
Dandy mulies in anyone's book.
Posted By: 805 Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/01/22
Heck of a good season JG! Hope all is well buddy!
Is the short G2 a trait in the area? Looks like all those bucks have it but regardless they are all studs!
Posted By: Judman Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/01/22
Hell ya uncle Johnny. Some good bucks in there. 👍
Congrads, on some fine old Bucks, I wish I had a friend like you!
Posted By: jc189 Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/02/22
Congrats on some very nice old Mulie Bucks. Some good hunting stories, thanks for sharing. Nice pic's too.
Originally Posted by 805
Heck of a good season JG! Hope all is well buddy!
Is the short G2 a trait in the area? Looks like all those bucks have it but regardless they are all studs!

Thanks for the well wishes fellas.

805, you may be right come to think of it. Here's my buck from about 3 years ago....

Well that is great to see those mature bucks. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/03/22
Enjoyed the write up and pics! Congrats to all your friends, maybe next year will be your turn again.
Posted By: winfw01 Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/03/22
Congrats on some really nice Buck!
Just caught this thread now.

Great bucks and pics!
Posted By: Mohawk Re: 2021 A Year for the Oldies - 02/06/22
Fantastic bucks. Thanks for sharing. My bucket list animal there.
© 24hourcampfire