Home
Mine is 284, was a 7 mag. I use the 284 in a 99.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Killed my first and biggest whitetail with a pre'64 Winchester M/88 .308, that was in 1974. In the years since I've been using pre'64 M/70's, a Featherweight in .30-06 and a Super Grade rebored to .35 Whelen.
Binelli R1 in .30-06
I can't decide...it keeps changing.
Cooper or Sako 25-06
In 1990 I bought a Remington mountain rifle in 7mm-08. Wasn't looking for a rifle, caliber was a ? to me, but it was beautiful so I bought it. Between myself and my kids, some nephews, a sister, we've taken close to 70 animals with it. Majority whitetails with some mulies, antelope thrown in. Wore a 4x Leupold for years till my wife bought me the last model of vx2 that was gloss.(she didn't know what else to buy me).
So I guess its this one by default. I actually have a Winchester classic featherweight in the same caliber that I like(?) better but after all these years the Winchester looks new, the Remington is gray with all jeweling worn off.
Ruger, Remington or Savage (I have all 3) 7mm-08
i have use plenty different cartridges and rifles ,finally for the the last some 20 years a custom Ruger # 1 chambered in a 257 Weatherby mag. its fast and knocks good bucks down fast too with my handloads 100 grain bullet at 3800 FPS.
.35 Rem and 7mm RM

Rifles..... I like a variety.

Toss up between my 06 m70 or a Mauser 7x57
Ithaca model 66, 20 gauge smoothbore with peep sight.
I hunt the thick stuff on the ground with shots well under 50 yards.
Whatever I'm using, I pretty much like all of them!
Well, after last week i think it'll be a 1 of 5 '74 Shiloh Sharps 20 twist Montana Roughrider 45-70, Bill Bagwell got Kirk at Shiloh to tool up and build five 20 twist rifles for he and four of his buddies, Bill's kind Wife was nice enough to sell me his rifle last Saturday, i already have 516gr paper patch test loads ready to go, waiting on the ice to clear out, it's a really special rifle to me. smile
In the late '70s I had been reading P. O. Ackley's books, and I had a Kalispell gunsmith, Les Bauska, rechamber my only centerfire rifle, a .30-06, to .30 Gibbs for my primary elk rifle. I had a FFL at that time, and I bought a Mauser Mark X barreled action in .25-06 and another Mark X short action and had Les re-chamber the .25-06 to a .257 Ackley Improved and had him make a tapered octagon barrel chambered in .22-250 for the short action.

I then bought two semi-inleted stocks in Fancy walnut and finished the .257 Ackley for my deer and antelope rifle, and the .22-250 for a varmint rifle. Until recently I had a Leupold M8 6X scope on my .257 and I've had a Weaver 10x scope on my .22-250.

Over the years, I've probably used my .257 Ackley more than any of my other rifles. I've used it for a variety of critters from prairie dogs to elk. As my primary deer and antelope rifle, I've shot dozens each of deer and antelope, I shot my 4 mountain sheep with it, including a Dall ram on a Canadian hunt where I also shot a Mountain caribou and a Wolverine with it, and on one early season wilderness Montana Unlimited sheep hunt I couldn't pass up on one of my best 6x6 bull elk.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have an array to chose from but in recent years a Remington 722 in 300 Savage has become my favorite not only because of the cartridge but love the way the rifle fits.
Steep timber country, the BRNO 22F in 8x57. Germans used to call them Forster Jagdgwehr or something (foresters rifle?) Light bullets 170 to 185 at medium velocity. But the Swede's are never a bad choice either.
Ruger #1 laminate in 7mm STW
It used to be the 30-06, then I became really fond of the .257 Roberts. Still like both. Now it is the 300 H&H. While I suck at elk hunting where I do most of my deer hunting elk are possible. Also, I just seem to shoot this rifle better than other in field positions.
Tough to claim a favorite. I really like 20-22" barreled rifles in 7mm-08 and .308, which I why have have several. Make it balance well, shoot well, give it a SS tube and a good trigger, and I'm probably good with it.

I carry this one a fair bit and kill things with it each season. It also rides on my Mule with me a fair bit. Hawkeye Predator in .308win. Fairly heavy, but balanced and very easy to shoot well. 150 NAB/NBT/E-Tip at 2,880fps or so (same powder charge and die settings)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I also spend a good bit of time with this one. I have a lot of good memories with it, as it is actually my daughter's and she does not begrudge me putting some miles on it, even when she's not around. 700 SS 7mm-08, chopped at 20". 120TTSX at 2,970-ish.

My Remington 700 Classic in 7X57 if I had to pick one but my Ruger 1B in 3006 is a close second...my Winchester 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts has killed more deer than all my rifles but I gifted to my nephews son this year.
Mine was for a long time the 257 Roberts till I had my Dads m70 rebarreled to 250 savage. Went and bought a 700 classic in 250 and loved it.
[quote=buffybr]

FAN tam tastic pix ! ! ! !

Great Track List !!!

Jerry
7mm-08 in a carbine configuration
Took 20 minutes for it to happen but about 7 years ago I bought a Kimber Montana in 7-08

Easily my favorite over the last 30+ years and I don't see anything passing it up.
Barrett fieldcraft 7mm-08 rifle 21"
To me it's the perfect whitetail gun
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

YEP ! too hard to pick one. I usually choose depending 'where' I hunt.

6.5X55 Win 70 XTR FTWT (New Haven)

30-06 Rem M Six

This One For Anything, Anywhere in No. Am.

Tikka T3X Lite, SS 7mm RM.

et.al. Can't pick just one.

Jerry

Been thinking about this all day - still don’t have an answer. So many great memories & guns to go with them. (Thanks Hanco for a trip down memory lane. I’ll post when I decide what #1 is - beautiful 99 on your end!)
Winchester 70 classic rebarreled to 6.5 x 55 Swede
Winchester M70 Classic SS Fwt in 270Win in a Fwt pattern McMillan, 140gn TSX.
The last couple of years it has been a JC Higgins Model 50 30-06 with a Leupold 6x LRD scope.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Been thinking about this all day - still don’t have an answer. So many great memories & guns to go with them. (Thanks Hanco for a trip down memory lane. I’ll post when I decide what #1 is - beautiful 99 on your end!)

I have many to chose from, but settled on that 284, really like them all. I once thought it was a 7 mag minimum, but grandkids killed stuff with 243’s plenty dead, then began dispatching pigs with 223’s, so I’ve changed my opinion.
Ol' Git Meat for me is my Marlin .30-30 for hunting in the timber. For areas where a longer shot is possible or for hunting in the rain, I'm right fond of my Ruger M77 Hawkeye all weather .30-06. So I guess you could say my favorite caliber is .30.
Interesting question...I guess it depends on where and how I'm hunting that day. If I'm out wandering around in the woods still hunting, I usually carry my Ruger tang safety 30-06. If sitting on the rock that overlooks a huge hollow where I can shoot 400 yards, I carry the MarkV 270 Weatherby magnum. If we're driving I carry the Marlin guide gun 45/70. However I recently got a Sako AV project in 7mm rem mag. Needs reblued and has a small crack in the stock that needs repaired. Also have a model 70 in 338 win mag that hasn't drawn blood yet. Way overkill for whitetails, but it'll kill em dead. As far as a favorite, can't pick as I love em all!
Rem Model 700 in 7mm Rem Mag topped with a Leupold 3x9. Been carrying it since I was 13 years old and I'm 58 now. The rifle has been used in more than 10 states, 2 Canadian provinces and has been to Africa 5 times. I have no idea how many heads of game it has taken. If I miss with that rifle I know it is my fault and not the rifle's.

Right now it's 35 Remington in a Marlin 336.
I guess it's a 270, although I've been using a 6.5 Creedmoor for the past 5 years.
TC Prohunter Encore (thumbhole) and .357 Max barrel (23")
When I'm buck only hunting 280, when I'm just deer hunting 243.
I hunt in multiple states most years. This includes the badlands of Montana, Texas scrub, and upstate New York. My western and eastern hunting shots are usually 225-400yds, but can be close. Texas shots <125 yds. If I was forced to pick one rifle for all, it would be a Tikka T3x in 270wsm. Packing a 300wby in eastern woods or the Texas brush simply isn’t ideal. Same can be said using a 7600 in 35Whelen for the badlands. Of course, as a acknowledged rifle loony, I object to the very suggestion that one rifle could ever suffice for all deer hunting….
Still getting use to this one but I like it better than any other deer rifle I've ever owned.

Rem 700 in .308Win with a McMillan Edge, Douglass Spout and a TriggerTech Special. It will put three 150g Hornady Interlocks moving along at 2800fps into 1/2" at 100. Clean/dirty/hot/cold. Lots to like bout it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Ky221, that's a "business" rifle and load for deer.
Originally Posted by mathman

I'll take that as a compliment 😀.

Lotta nice rifles in this thread.
Nice rifle and great buck. Congratulations
Originally Posted by southtexas

Me too... Seems to be the one that I am carrying that day. I do have to say that I seem to have taken more critters with with an old red butt, tang safety Ruger M77 .30-06 than anything else. But a 7mm Rem mag in a M70 is a close second. These days I seem to lean towards a 6mm bore of some flavor, but have yet to harvest anything other than a coyote or two with them. Have not put any food on the table with one yet. Maybe this year ? 6x47 Lapua maybe ?
If hunting a straight wall state, I like my ruger 77/450 24" stainless with walnut. The only problem is its almost too nice to hunt with.
Originally Posted by Ky221

I'll take that as a compliment 😀.

Lotta nice rifles in this thread.

It is a compliment. No nonsense, all business.
My favorite, by far, is my Kimber Hunter 6.5CM.
2021 Blacktail with 140 gr. Sierra BTSP.

Tikka T3x Lite 6.5CM. Accurate, light-kicking, good range.
I like variety so it changes a lot. I have a habit of buying a gun, shooting a deer with it then sell g it to try something else. Currently though if I absolutely need to kill a deer I reach for my Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional .30-06 with a Kahles 6x42 on it
This is a great question that is very hard for me to answer as I have hunted deer for 35 years with so many different rifles that I cant possibly remember them all but several do come to mind that I really enjoyed hunting with so I can't narrow it down to just one..but here is a few of My favorites.........
...Kimber Montana .308 Win
Kimber Sub-Alpine .300 WSM
Ruger 77 Mk II .308 Win
Remington Model Seven .308 Win
Tikka T3x Superlite .300 Win
Remington 700 XCR II 30-06
Kimber Sub-Alpine 30-06
Remington 700 Mtn rifle .308 Win
Remington 700 Mtn rifle 30-06......but there are many more...Hb
One of my many Remington 700’s
Custom Sporterized Model 98 8x57 Mauser
Since members of this august forum goaded me into the purchase of a Savage 99 in 308 WIN back in 2003, I'd have to say this rifle is my overall favorite. I always bring it out on The Opener. When I get lucky on The Opener, it's always my buck tag I'm filling. Once that is done, it goes back in the case. The load is a 165 grain Hornady SP over just enough H4895 to make it run like a hot 300 Savage.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

It had been about 10 seasons since I had nailed a buck with the Savage 99. This year, exactly 2 hours into the season, this big one walked under my stand:

More details and pics here:

The Savage Speaks Again

After the Savage gets put to bed, I start working through a rotation of rifles. Some are new projects. Some are old favorites. Eventually, it gets down to serious business, and it is about that time the Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 comes out.

Honorable Mentions:

I have a KAR 98 Mauser, The Mauser From Hell, that I took from a basket case to a tack driver over several frustrating years. It lays out deer with 8X57 every bit as good as my others.

The Whelenizer, a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen was the first rifle I ever took 10 deer in 10 seasons. Folks here at the 'Fire conspired with KYHillChick to gift me this for a Saint Hubert's Day present many years ago. I am in the process of bringing it back out of retirement.

My new fav is a TC Compass in 7mm-08 I found 2 seasons ago. I like everything about this rifle and the chambering.

The whole Shamanic Deer Battery is here for your perusal:

The Shamanic Deer Battery
Like others have said, hard to pick just one. There have been many over the last 50 years. started out with a Rem 742 in 30-06. That worked well for several years. Then I wanted one that was more accurate at longer ranges. Shot a Sako 75 and Steyr Mannlicher both in 308 for a while. They worked great for hunting 200-300 yds. Then I got bit by the magnum bug. I bought a Rem 700 in 7mm mag and a Win. model 70 in 300 mag. a 280 AI as well. All great guns and calibers. I killed my share of deer with each of them. I have been retired now for 5 years and I don't hunt the Magnums any more. I stepped down to a Tikka T3x lite in 270. I also enjoy shooting my 260, 7mm 08, and 6.5 Creed. All Tikka's and Sako's. What I have learned over the years is Choose a good bullet and put it in the right place. Dead is dead with any of these calibers. To sum it up, I cant pick just one favorite. Variety is the spice of life. I'm just happy to be in the woods hunting with any of them.
Early 700 mountain rifle in 30-06. 3-9 Leupold, Timney trigger in a Grayboe. Shoots 165 gr NBT handloads very well. Next would be a 7600 carbine also in 06 shooting 150 gr Nosler partitions. 2-7 leupold.
I've used a bunch of cartridges through the years for deer, but I keep coming back to the 7mm-08. I first used it in the mid 80's when my dad brought a little model seven home. The favorite since 2013 has been my Montana. It carries like a whisper and always drops what I point it at.
This has been an enjoyable thread to read and like most I am unable to decide my "favorite".

In looking back over the past 10 or so deer seasons I have used the following combinations to put meat in the freezer.

> Sako L61R - 30-06
> Sako AII Hunter - 308 Win.
> Winchester M94 Big Bore - 375 Win.
> Winchester M64A - 30-30
> Tikka T3 - 6.5x55
> Sako 85 Bavarian - 7-08
> Ruger M77 MK II - 257 Roberts
> Remington M700 SS Mountain Rifle - 30-06
> Tikka T3X Lite Stainless - 6.5 Creedmoor

Makes me wonder what all the other hunting rifles are in my safe for.

I do know that I can't have just one favorite; what fun would that be.

StarchedCover
I really like my 280 remington, its kind of a toss up between that and my 7 mag
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
This has been an enjoyable thread to read and like most I am unable to decide my "favorite".

In looking back over the past 10 or so deer seasons I have used the following combinations to put meat in the freezer.

> Sako L61R - 30-06
> Sako AII Hunter - 308 Win.
> Winchester M94 Big Bore - 375 Win.
> Winchester M64A - 30-30
> Tikka T3 - 6.5x55
> Sako 85 Bavarian - 7-08
> Ruger M77 MK II - 257 Roberts
> Remington M700 SS Mountain Rifle - 30-06
> Tikka T3X Lite Stainless - 6.5 Creedmoor

Very nice list of rifles. I would be happy to have to choose one of the above for a deer hunt.
For hunting thick woods in PA, a Rem 700 DBM .308 with barrel cut to 20". For hunting on a farm where longer shots are possible, a Tikka T3 in .270.
Easy…
338 Fed for most days and 7mm-08 for the rest. Both of mine are Rem600s but would be fine with a M7 as well.
I guess I'd have to say the 6.5X55 is my favorite deer cartridge. It does everything it has to do (very, very well) and nothing it doesn't have to do. That said, I would be hard put to say my Sako 85 is my favorite rifle. I like it a lot, but there are three other rifles I use a lot: a Ruger 1B in .308, a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 and a Remington 700 XCR/CTR in .223. Additionally, there are several other rifles/cartridges I will use when the mood strikes me. There's the matter of what we consider a deer "rifle" as well. Sometimes it's one of my N-frames in .44 or .41 magnum that gets the nod. I like a lot of them.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

I agree with Dean. Depends on the terrain and the weather.
Depends on how and where I guess. Walking and jump shooting, the Savage 99 in 250. East to carry.
For what I do in the Southeast it's a 22-250. If I was paying to go on a trophy hunt I would take the 25-06 or my daughters 6.5.
Recent years a Savage 99 F in .300 although there is always a .270 in the truck as a loaner, back up, bad weather rifle. I try not to take my Savage out in the rain.
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Easy…
338 Fed for most days and 7mm-08 for the rest. Both of mine are Rem600s but would be fine with a M7 as well.

I have a 338 federal in the works, a Savage 99. I’m eager to get hold of it. I’m hoping the 160 Barnes shoot well in it. It should do a trick on deer and pigs.
275 Rigby/7x57mm always gets the job done for me.
Favorite deer caliber? The 25 caliber. Other than that real hard to nail it down. My 257 Roberts has killed more deer for me than the others. The 257 Wby has been awesome on deer. The 25 BR AI is extremely accurate and is perfect for youngsters or shooting does in the ear. The 25-06 needs no explanation. The 25-284 (a custom in a Remington Hunter McM) has been really good to me the last couple of years. The 25-284 I guess would take the slot.
GreggH
I've used a lot over the years but my 1954 M70 in Hollands " Super Thirty" was for a long time my go to.
Custom 98 Mauser I built for a Colorado Elk hunt. 30-06.
This past season a 1986 " European Featherweight" in 6.5 x 55. It has sights on it, but I don't use them. Talley QD levers and a Leup 2.5x8 x36.
For one season I used a Interarms MarkX in .458 win mag. That one earned me the nickname "Cannonball".

I was ask once at camp if I had ever hunted with the same rifle for more than one season. I replied"I try not to".

So many calibers,so little time.
On combo deer and elk hunts, I switch between a 7mm Wby and .300 Wby until the elk tag is filled. My most carried deer only rifle is a Ruger 77 .257 Roberts. Although, if I’m deer hunting an area with big bears, I’ll stick with a lightweight .30-06 or .35 Whelen. Diversity in action!
I "favor" which ever one I feel like using that day.
The one (beyond any doubt) that I have killed the most deer with is a Mauser in 270 which is now on it's 3rd barrel. It was the first rifle I ever built and I did it when I was 12-13. But it's not a lot of fun to kill deer with it anymore because it's just too easy. For the last 25 years or so, the rifles I prefer to use are all iron sighted and many times it's a flintlock in 62 cal.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]My Rifle 3 by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
In the last few years it's been mostly my 6.5X54 [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
My 303 Lee

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
My Marlin 30-30
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

A Winchester M95 in 270

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_20190918_192827625 by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
One of my 9.3X57s

and I have broken down and used my 8X57 with a scope some

and also my Ruger #1 in 9.3X74R some. (no pic of that rifle)
In addition to these I have killed a number of deer with my Remington Pump 35 Rem M141 and my two 300 Savage rifles, a 99 Savage and also a Remington M81. (No pics of them either)
I just enjoy hunting with old fashioned rifles and where I live my seasons are long and deer are usually plentiful so I have no disappointment in the times I go out and don't get to shoot one. My average of deer killed per hunt us over 50% so I am doing just fine with the old fashioned guns.
I prefer a Winchester 94 30-30 for deer
357 Herrett for caliber, using a Contender, and my favorite rifle is an early 700 C.

I only have one hunting rifle.....so, I guess it’s my favorite! Though, I’d like to kill a few animals with my handgun. Haven’t killed anything with a handgun since 1989, when I quit handgun hunting.....trying to get back into it! memtb
Haven't decided yet. Get back with me on my death bed.
Someone should crunch these numbers and come up with the perfect choice!
I have shot more deer with the 30-06 than all other cartridges combined. As far as favorite - I suppose that has changed but I’m not sure to what? The longest shots I’ve made were with the ‘06 also. If shots were limited to under 100 yards the cartridge wouldn’t make much difference but the rifle would be light and fast to the shoulder.
As far as rifle it would easily be the Remington 725/721/700. (I’ve restocked my 722’s and 721’s with 700 stocks.)
But if under 100 yards the Winchester 94 would be a good one as would the 336 be or even a 99.

If I were down to one rifle - a 700 Remington in 30-06 with a Leupold M8 4x, I’d be satisfied. I’d use that on elk and pronghorn too. But a 270, 280, 7mm RM, 280AI, any 300 mag (except the short ones) would work ok too.
My favorite really depends on where I'm hunting. If I'm hunting fields it's my Remington 700 280, if I'm hunting woods it's my Savage 99 .308.
I've played around with others and my Tikka 7-08 SL is also becoming a favorite.
Use to be my Model 88 Win. in 308 with 165 gr GK.. Lately it is Sporterized 6.5 Swede with139 gr AB's
Rem 660, 308.
Brown Precision stock/Decelerator
3x9 Leupold in Talley lightweights.

Needs a trigger, and headspace set back. (For 30 years)
But it's light, handy, fast. We work great together

Or.

T3 stainless 6.5x55. Bushnell 3200 3x9.
This should be number 1, but I don't shoot it as well,
And find it somewhat less effective even when I do.
My favorite rifle and cartridge for deer, a savage model 10 in 243.
Because my dad gave it to me.
7 Rem magnum, always boom flop never one walked away, low recoil and excellent trajectory and ballistics with the 120 gr Barnes TTSX.
Win. M70 in 30-06

Pre 64 fwt 280 rem.
Tikka T3 and T/C Encore both in .260 Remington.
25-06 Remington 700 CDL, 6x Leupold, 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at about 3150 fps via Retumbo. Not much recoil, kills quickly, shoots flat and accurately.

Regards, Guy

Right now, it’s my semi-custom Remington M700 in 7mm-08. Although, due to some health issues, this past season I used my Kimber Montana in .243 and had good success and liked it pretty well. I’ve used a 7mm-08 for a lot of years and it’s never failed me. But that .243 is pretty sweet…………..Hell, I don’t know!
270 Winchester. 150 grain Nosler Partition.

Not only my favorite Deer cartridge but it’s earned a #1 spot for other game as well. I tried not to like it - I’ve got many rifles and hunted many places but the damn .270 Win kept coming back. It’s really good. Can’t say what rifle in particular but I have an OG Rem 700 Titanium & a M70 Classic that seem to come along every trip.
I carried 4 this year, which is usually what I do.....

'47 m70 in 06 that was my late father's

Pre-64 model 88 in 308, that was my late uncles

Those are the nostalgic carries.....

CA Ridgeline in 6.5 prc

Custom 280, built on a Rem TI action

Got a doe with the PRC

Passed up a small buck in PA with the 06

Passed up a pretty nice, 130s, buck with the PRC

And as is usual, shot a big buck with my 700ml during ml season. I don't know why I have any rifles, I've been shooting big bucks with my, MLs.
I play with/carry a lot of different rifles for deer. The Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM with the 22" sporter contour barrel is my favorite.

Most any short action, light stocked, 20-22" barreled rifle will be a good fit for how I hunt in any of the basic short action rounds. I use everything from .223's to .375's but I think the .264 caliber may be the "perfect" caliber for deer.....any of them will work but .264 is kinda Goldilocks for deer.
My favorite is a Remington 700 Classic in 8x57 with a FX-3 6x42 with a #1 reticle. I have a lot to choose from, but since I got that one it has had the most use.
22 mag

Just kidding, ya'all don't get your panties in a wad
I grab my Remington 700 mountain rifle in 25-06 the 99% of the time.
Favorite? Well it would be one of these six, 257 Roberts,308, 7-08,7x57, 270 and 30-06. Lately I have been liking light rifles the most.
Up til now, a 6.5 Swede or a 30 06.
This coming year I'm taking a 7x64 Brenneke I bought 30 years ago and never hunted with.
Don't know much about the caliber but should do the job.
I’ve been hunting whitetails since the mid 1980’s with my savage model 99 in 300 savage. It’s always been my go to.

Remington 700 270 Winchester shooting 150 grain partitions. I've updated it some, but I've had it 45 years.

[Linked Image]
CZ 527 in either 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC for the last 6 years. ARC was just this last fall.

Attached picture thumbnail_IMG_3869.jpg
Browning BAR 30/06 with a Skinner Peep when hunting with hounds.
Browning A Bolt 270 when hunting from a stand.
At 18 years old in 1979 I bought my first really nice deer rifle. It was a Remington 700 Classic in .270 win. I've used it since, with the exception of 5 seasons, and the older I get the less I want to shoot anything else. Leaving it at home would be like leaving my lab at home on a pheasant hunt.
Up until now my favorite was my 700 in 270 win with a edge stock and 24 inch barrel but Im warming up real quick to my MCR x2 in 7mm08 with a 22 inch barrel. I hunted this year out of a climbing stand and the 22 inch barrel and that heavier rifle worked great. I always belly ached about the weight on the MCR but it proved nice to have. It didnt move much laying down on the shooting rail of my stand. Probably still favor the 700 for a all around fav rifle.

270 Winchester
.280 Rem in Win M70 Featherweight
Originally Posted by Jim1611
At 18 years old in 1979 I bought my first really nice deer rifle. It was a Remington 700 Classic in .270 win. I've used it since, with the exception of 5 seasons, and the older I get the less I want to shoot anything else. Leaving it at home would be like leaving my lab at home on a pheasant hunt.

I don't use it as much as I used to but my story is about the same on first nice rifle that I still have and is hard to beat. Only difference was mine was 1982.
My Rem 760 30-06. I bought it the year my son "High Brass" was born. I got my first buck with it. He had it for several years and loved it. We both have killed deet with it and I got my best buck the year we lost him.

My best buck.
A doe Chad got.

I have several favorite rifles that are sweetheart keepers. Stainless M700s in 7RM, .308 Win & 300 WSM, .270 Win M70 push feed with a Bansner stock, and Tikka Stainless 30.06.
They all have different scopes, but they all have LimbSaver or Decelerator pads.
There is just something about My Marlin 30-30.
I have 3 308's, a 243, 223/5.56's couple a x39's and a Winchester 94 AE 30-30 & 45 LC, but that 336 is usually with me
Remington 760 in Gods caliber.
Williams Foolproof peep sight.
From .223 to .416 with a half dozen in between. I seem to have a rotating pattern that all result with dead deer; though I tend to grab a .308 or .30-06 more often then not. I believe that choice is more platform/rig than caliber/cartridge.
That would be my Sako Manliccher in 7mm magnum. I haven't got it out to the woods yet but it performed admirably at the range
My favorite is my first, Remington 742 30-06. Taken many a mule deer. I still won’t count out the 25-06 Rem 700 BDL.
I've always had a love for the 25's

A 2506 is whatvi started with. Built by my pap on a jap arisaka action. It's now my boys.

I now have a 257AI thats one of my sweethearts. Model 700 action, shillen stainless bbl.

Really starting to like my little 243...
That 280 is a gem also....

All of em! Lol!
.270 Winchester and M70 Classic stainless Featherweight
Left handed Savage 111 in .270 WCF. Gets the job done whenever called upon.
Probably my 84m kimber 308. Shoots small groups with 150 hornady and has never shifted zero. Close second would probably be Rem 700 270 with lilja barrel shooting 130hornady or 140AB.
I’ll bite
My favorite is a 25-06AI built on a Sako action with McMillan stock. 23” barrel and balances very well. It is almost always DRT with all the game I’ve shot.
I swap around depending on location but that’s my main go to. I have a 257 Weatherby vanguard that I’ve taken a liking to the past couple years for the 450 in point and shoot fields.

It’s safe to say tho that a 1/4 bore is my favorite
250 Savage - in many different flavors:

Savage 99s, Ruger 77s, Remington 700s, Griffin & Howe Kurz Mauser and Clayton Nelson Kurz Mauser.

For me it’s a perfect little cartridge for the deer woods that I hunt in.

PennDog
Originally Posted by PennDog

Savage 99s, Ruger 77s, Remington 700s, Griffin & Howe Kurz Mauser and Clayton Nelson Kurz Mauser.

PennDog
I would like to see pics of the Mauser's.
700 lss mountain rifle in 30/06
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by PennDog

PennDog
I would like to see pics of the Mauser's.

I would as well..
Hard to beat a .270 imo
Faux TI 700 long action in 257 Roberts topped with a VXIII 2.5-8.

I match the rifle, cartridge, and load to the type of hunting that I'm planning to do, sort of like matching the hatch when fly fishing for trout.

I'm not particularly tied to any single rifle, cartridge, or load.

The one rifle that always travels with me is a S&W C in 30-06 with an old, pre-'74, Vari-X II 3-9x40. It is a dependable spare or loaner.
I have a BLR 81 in steel , a .358 Winchester that was my dads and I'll never get rid of . I really do not have a favorite deer rifle or cartridge but I do have many favorites . I have trimmed my hunting rifles numbers over the last few years to the point that I only have the favorites left plus a few new favorites I have added . Deer hunting in my immediate area is usually 50 yard and under shots , anything I own will easily do that.

The rifle I have probably killed the most deer with is a late production 788 carbine in .243 . Not sure exactly how long I have had it but it's been mine a long time . Got a Weaver steel tube 3x9 and my load of choice is 34.5 grains of IMR 4320 and a 100 grain Nosler flat base SP . I have had it longer and shot it more than the Remington model 14 in .35 Remington I just got the other day but I still can't say I like one more than the other.. Would love to have a Savage 99 in .300 or .250-3000 to play with but the price on them has got too high for me .

PS: Was just thinking , I been shooting that 788 and load so long that you can no longer buy the Bullets or the powder I use. Fortunately I'll never run out of either . Always buy all you can afford of anything you don't feel you can do without. Big companies don't care what you want , they want you to buy whatever they want to make for you to use .
Under controlled non have to shoot situations I'd prefer whats not legal. A 22 LR subsonic HP rifle of some kind with a suppressor. Deer just aren't hard to kill with a hollow point through the heart or lungs.

After that we tend to use whats require and whats enough mostly. Last deer shot was with a 9mm Glock. It doesn't take much.
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
I have a BLR 81 in steel , a .358 Winchester that was my dads and I'll never get rid of . I really do not have a favorite deer rifle or cartridge but I do have many favorites . I have trimmed my hunting rifles numbers over the last few years to the point that I only have the favorites left plus a few new favorites I have added . Deer hunting in my immediate area is usually 50 yard and under shots , anything I own will easily do that.

The rifle I have probably killed the most deer with is a late production 788 carbine in .243 . Not sure exactly how long I have had it but it's been mine a long time . Got a Weaver steel tube 3x9 and my load of choice is 43.5 grains of IMR 4320 and a 100 grain Nosler flat base SP . I have had it longer and shot it more than the Remington model 14 in .35 Remington I just got the other day but I still can't say I like one more than the other.. Would love to have a Savage 99 in .300 or .250-3000 to play with but the price on them has got too high for me .

I'm pretty sure this is a typo, and you've made it more than once.

34.5 maybe?
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate

The rifle I have probably killed the most deer with is a late production 788 carbine in .243 . Not sure exactly how long I have had it but it's been mine a long time . Got a Weaver steel tube 3x9 and my load of choice is 43.5 grains of IMR 4320 and a 100 grain Nosler flat base SP . I have had it longer and shot it more than the Remington model 14 in .35 Remington I just got the other day but I still can't say I like one more than the other.. Would love to have a Savage 99 in .300 or .250-3000 to play with but the price on them has got too high for me .

I'm pretty sure this is a typo, and you've made it more than once.

34.5 maybe?

Thank you , You are correct . I'll see if I can find the others and correct them also .
Found one other place where I flipped the numbers and added a correction. Fortunately someone else also caught it .
Ruger M77 MKII Ultralight .270 Win topped with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40

Originally Posted by TravelinSoldier

That one seems to have an "aura" surrounding it.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

That one seems to have an "aura" surrounding it.

I see it too. smile

It is blessed!
Sako IV- 6.5x55
I purchased a 99 Brush gun in 358 Winchester from Diamondjim some years ago. I have killed every deer I shot at with no tracking. Have some other guns I would like to use as well. Guess I don't have any photos. Have other 358s now because the first one is so successful. Good luck guys. RZ.
Caliber is 308
Cartridge is 308win
Rifle is savage lightweight hunter
Originally Posted by Tony22
Hard to beat a .270 imo

.270 is not a caliber.
.284 or .308
.358 stainless 20” Model 7
Depending on where and distances a RAR 450 BM or the Lightweight .270 Winchester with 20” barrel.

The 450 BM is fast becoming my go to preferred one.

Both are topped with a Swaro Z3.

either in a 260 rem
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

or a 6.5 creed

or a 6.5 prc

or a 264 mag(can't find the deer pic)
270 Winchester in a Model 70 of any kind without a doubt. Then the same cartridge in just about any make……
Favorite caliber, .257" easily. Which cartridge is a toss up between. 257 Roberts and the. 25-06.

Although the .224" has really been coming on strong the last couple years.
.284 7mm-08 Rem 280 Rem
300 savage in savage 99
I've used a Kimber Montana in 6.5CM the last few years and do like it, but just ordered a Fierce Fury in 7mm-08 (20" barrel) as I've always had an affinity for that caliber/cartridge.

25-06 with Sierra 117 BT’s
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Tony22
Hard to beat a .270 imo

.270 is not a caliber.

Good catch.
For what I do here in the big woods, probably the .358" bore. Either a .35 Whelen 7600 carbine or a Remington Model 8 .35 Remington.
The last couple of years I have been reaching for a RAR in .300 blackout. I shoot the 110 gr Barnes TacTx out of it at 2400 fps. It is a dream to carry, is easy in the blind, has an excellent trigger and is (after a bit of work) very accurate. The last deer I shot with it was at 163 yards and she was DRT with a shot through the shoulders.

Other is a semi custom SS 700 in 7-08 shooting 120gr BTs.
Originally Posted by RinB

25-06 with Sierra 117 BT’s

No kidding. Never would’ve guessed smile
.30-06 in Weatherby Vanguard 2 is first. In descending order I would use my Ruger 77 in .270, Remington 700 in.308W,and .243W in Savage 10.
270 Winchester, 260 Remington, and 257 Wby. and if hunting heavy woods a 444 Marlin.
Originally Posted by hanco

Just got me one of those. Ready to try her out!
I don't really have a favorite deer rifle. The rifle I use depends on the area I'm hunting and how I'm going to hunt it. I am kind of partial to a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington or a Mexican Mauser in 7mm Mauser.
Typically for me it's the weather that gets me to pick one rifle over the other. If it's raining, snowing or generally sh!11y weather I take one of the synthetic SS rifles but if it's nice I usually take one of the classics out.
Man I do it totally different. If I shoot a deer with something that gun comes out of rotation and might not hunt again for another ten years. I shot two with one that will probably never see the woods again because of it. My favorite hunting rifles are this year's rifles! The worst thing that can happen is to get something with it that first season.

It's all about the guns for me. Especially since there aint many deer.
Mauser 7mm-08 or AR 6.8spc from a stand. Walking around in the brush 336 .35 Rem.
Originally Posted by TheGunnut
Mauser 7mm-08 or AR 6.8spc from a stand. Walking around in the brush 336 .35 Rem.

How do you like the 6.8? What projectile do you use?

I have one, but beyond putting it together, function-testing, and zeroing I haven't done much with it.

I have a .458 SOCOM I've been shooting a lot, but I think the SPC would be a more verstile platform for deer.

Meanwhile, a 20" .308 or my Guide Gun are used the most, with my M94 Winchester being used occasionally.

Little Howa LW .308

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Guide Gun

My favorite deer caliber is .284. I mix it up between a couple of
7-08’s and a couple of 7RM’s. I have Tikkas, Remingtons and 1 custom build on a Big Horn action. But I will most often reach for the Ruger Hawkeye M77 in 7mm-08. Got a fixed Leupold 6x42 on it. Have killed a lot of game with that setup
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
[quote=TheGunnut]Mauser 7mm-08 or AR 6.8spc from a stand. Walking around in the brush 336 .35 Rem.

I have one, but beyond putting it together, function-testing, and zeroing I haven't done much with it.

I have taken one doe with it so far. Dropped right there. 90gr. Federal.
243,270.280ai,7mm08,308.depends where i hunt
Originally Posted by TheGunnut
[quote=TheGunnut]Mauser 7mm-08 or AR 6.8spc from a stand. Walking around in the brush 336 .35 Rem.

I have taken one doe with it so far. Dropped right there. 90gr. Federal.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards 110-115 grain bullets.

110 grain Accubonds, AA2200, and a SR primer of your choice does a wonderful job on Whitetails and pigs.
Originally Posted by DFCarawan

Just got me one of those. Ready to try her out!

Loading the 120 Barnes for it, groups less than inch. If you had told me an old lever action Savage could shoot that well years ago, I would have called BS. I’m using H-4350 powder.
280 rem
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

110 grain Accubonds, AA2200, and a SR primer of your choice does a wonderful job on Whitetails and pigs.

Thanks, now just finding them....I believe the 2200 is easy enough found, at least locally a lot of the Accurate line has been available, the Accubonds, not so much.
My first rifle I owned, the 7X57 was a dandy on everything I uses it on and that was with 140 grain low velocity factory core locks. First deer I shot separated the heart into two seperate pieces right down the middle! That's when I new I was one hell of a hunter and very dangerous to boot. Nothing out there has been safe to this very day......Lol

I have always believed it to be shot placement highly over cartridge choice so for me makes no difference. Now days I take my 223 a fair amount
I`m partial to .25 cal. My first B.G. rifle was my Dads` hand-me-down Savage Mod. 20 in 250-3000. I missed my first ever shot-at-buck with it. I killed my first buck this season, with the same rifle.
I have to say my favorite rifle is my 700 SA chambered in 250-3000 AI. Killed my last three deer this season with it.
Both Browning X-Bolts I have in 270win have killed piles of deer. I don't have any good reason to use anything else.
30-06. (with 200 grain Speer)

JC Higgins m50 (FN m98) Timney trigger, B&C Medalist stock, Leupold m8 4x (#4 reticle)

Winchester m70 Extreme Weather, Leupold m8. 3x. (standard duplex reticle)
nula 338x284 with 160 barnes ttsx. lethal combination
Kimber 6 creed with 108s is my go to. Though recently a pacnor barreled Kimber 7x57 with 162s is gaining trust.
That's like asking which of your kids do you like best and do you prefer sons over daughters. Like potato chips you can't have just one. The top of the list is a pre64 M70 7MM carbine all the custom bolt guns but especially the single shots. Favorite calibers are the 25's especially the Roberts and the 7MM's. I'm glad I don't have to choose. Next seasons favorite will be a 250 Savage built on a shortened Mauser action.

Cooper .243 A.I. same load for every thing, 105 Scenar,
Bloody Mary,Works for me. Rio7
Marlin 1894PG in 44 Mag
Originally Posted by INKK
Marlin 1894PG in 44 Mag

Originally Posted by INKK
Marlin 1894PG in 44 Mag

You certainly blessed to own a Marlin 1894 with pistol grip. Not many made in the early 2000's.
Depends on where I’m hunting.

Either a Remington 700 Classic in .264 Win Mag with a 125 gr Partition

Or a Remington Custom Shop Model 7 Manlicherr Stocked 7-08 with a 140 gr Ballistic Tip.
.257 Roberts for caliber
Tikka T3 (s/s, camo) Superlite for rifle

unfortunately, the two don’t co-exist in the same package!

Doc_Holidude
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Or a Remington Custom Shop Model 7 Manlicherr Stocked 7-08 with a 140 gr Ballistic Tip.

Those are very nice rifles. A classic for deer hunting.

I'd love to have one in 35Remington.
This fall it will be a custom 250 Savage built on a shortened Mauser action and 100 TTSX.

+1.

That said I really like my .358W R700 stubby that JES rebored from a .243. So much so that I have a Schützen (Mannlicher style) full length stock on order from Richards Microfit, and plan on having it all set up and dialed in - in time for next deer season.

The caliber is a thumper, and at Eastern woods ranges is awesome. DRT IME. And the short length (18 1/2" barrel) is really handy in the thick woods. Figure a fixed 2 1/2x or 1x4 or somesuch for a scope. It has a 3x9 on it now which is clunky, that's got to change.

I saw where good-guy regular on here 260Rem had a special Ruger 77, RSI in .358W, of which there were only a handful ever made.. I figure that would be about the holy grail for my kind of deer and black bear hunting
I sometimes pick the rifle the yells the loudest when I open the safes.
Living in new England depends on what state/season I'm in. Rifle hunting Ruger M77 stainless 270, Shotgun Savage 220 I really love this gun, can't understand why anyone would use any other slug gun. Accurate, easy to carry, deadly and relatively inexpensive. Muzzle-loader CVA Accura V2 50 cal. Not a light carry but accurate.
30-06
Overkill for deer? Usually, but they all die
Reliable? It won several wars
Easy to reload? they don't get much easier
Ammo easy to find? Until covid anyway
Useful for other game? Like anything in the lower 48 and most stuff in Africa?
Savage 99 in 284 for deer and bear, but I use others as the mood strikes me.

Have too many favorites ! 270 in a pre 64 Win 70 featherweight, custom Win 70 in 264 Mag, savage 99 in 250, JC Higgins in 30-06,and so on. As someone else stated, depends on the terrain and weather mostly.
264 Win mag

250-3000
JC Higgins (Husqvarna) in 30-06
As others have said, depends on what and where I’m hunting but my go to is my old Model 700 in .270. That’s the one I grab when I want to kill something.
Originally Posted by GSPfan
This fall it will be a custom 250 Savage built on a shortened Mauser action and 100 TTSX.

Can't wait to see pictures of the rifle when finished.
Actually I use 6 calibers in 8 different rifles. When I kill the first deer of the season I swap rifles. On and on through out the season. We can kill 13 per season.
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Can't wait to see pictures of the rifle when finished.

+1 on that!!

I have a Griffin & Howe and Clayton Nelson Kurz action Mausers in 250-3000 that I use 100 grain Hornadys in - in my world that is a perfect rifle/cartridge combination for deer.

PennDog

My current favorite is my Ruger Hawkeye in 6.8 SPC. It recoils like an air rifle suppressed.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Ruger M77 in .243 Win
Ruger 77 in 6mm Rem.
My favorite hunting rifle Mauser, favorite caliber 30-06. They go together like peaches and cream!
1970's Remington 700 ADL .30-06, it belongs to my Dad, I used it to shoot my first dozen Deer or so including my first Mule Deer Buck. I took it on my first Elk hunt also. I wish I would've dropped the 5x5 that came out at 75 yards or so when I had it in my hands. I ended up shooting a smaller raghorn 5 with my own 7mm Rem Mag.

I've used that 7mm for about the last fifteen years or so to shoot Antelope, WT and Mule Deer, and Elk. It currently sits in an H-S Precision Stock. I added a Geissele Super 700 trigger, with a Vortex PST on top. It started off as an SPS Stainless with the cheapo injection molded stock and a Burris FF II on it.
That would be my 783 Remington long action in 375 and a Leupold 4x12
M70 in 30-06 for 35+ years, but the last 3 years I have used a Bergara B14 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both work just fine but the older I get the less I like recoil.

Favorite caliber: 30

Favorite rifles and cartridges: Savage 99 (30/30, 300SAV, .308win), Kimber Montana (.308win), Rem 700 Classic (300SAV)
Favorite caliber: 30

Favorite rifles and cartridges: Savage 99 (30/30, 300SAV, .308win), Kimber Montana (.308win), Rem 700 Classic (300SAV)
Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. Hands down my favorite for swamp, thicket hunting here in Florida, Georgia and Alabama
I've shot smaller deer like fallow and chital with cartridges from the .257 Roberts up to the 9.3x62. The ones shot with the .25 and .26 cals died as easily as those shot with 7mm, .30, .311, .35 and 9.3 cartridges. So I'd pick a mild 6.5mm like the Swede, Mauser or Creedmoor with a 120-130gn bullet at 2800/2850 fps. Low recoil and pleasant to shoot. I find as I get older (50) I'm hunting a lot with 25 and 26 calibre rounds as they do what I want (deer and pigs) and are easy to shoot.

But a nice .257 Roberts or 7x57 would do OK too.
Yeah the older I get the less I enjoy recoil.
Farmlands, 270 Win or 280 Rem; northern woods, 358 Win.

viking Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah the older I get the less I enjoy recoil.

Recently (finally) started a good exercise regiment to buy me a few more years enjoying my favorite and onl (to date) hunting rifle! memtb
Ruger American stainless in 7mm-08 and Savage 99 in 300 Savage are about perfect for the deer hunting I do. Than again I could say the same about dozens of other cartridges too.
Originally Posted by obie458
7mm-08 and 300 Savage are about perfect for the deer hunting I do. Than again I could say the same about dozens of other cartridges too.

Nope, that’s all a guy needs. A bolt action 7mm-08 for a primary stand rifle and a m99 .300 Savage for a walking around rifle or back up. Six decades of gunning deer with lots of different cartridges have refined my choices.
I’ve been drooling over getting a .284 savage 99. That’s what my grandfather had. His was a pe. I’ve been on the hunt for one hoping it shoots like everyone tells me it does.
My favorite a .284. Of the bunch a 7mm-08rem. Winchester Featherweight or EW.
250-3000
both chambering and rifle.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
250-3000
both chambering and rifle.

I love this caliber. I have one in a Ruger #1 and am having a bolt gun built on a shortened Mauser action. It will be ready in time for load development before deer season.
I use and have used a lot of different cartridges over the years, but the 250 Savage is the one I use the most. If I was born 25 years later it would probably be the 6.5 creedmoor.
Eastern woods is my TC venture rebored to 358 Winchester. 200 Grain Hornady at 2420 fps. That is my 0-100 yard load. Farther is a toss up. Either my 30-06 (Weatherby Vanguard) or my 260 Rem (Ruger M77 MKII) Probably have to go with my 260 since that one has probably 30 deer to its name. It is a deer killer!
I seen to pick up my Barret Fieldcraft in 6.5X55 more than any other rifle nowadays. The 130 Accubond at 2750 FPS has killed a lot of stuff.
Originally Posted by DubThomas
I seen to pick up my Barret Fieldcraft in 6.5X55 more than any other rifle nowadays. The 130 Accubond at 2750 FPS has killed a lot of stuff.

That’s the one I’d wished I’d grabbed.
Last 6-7 years - Kimber MT in 308. It's turned into my favorite rifle. I'll likely finish my hunting career with that rifle.
My Remington 700ADL in 25/06, hunted with the wooden stock for years, till a goat hunt beat up the stock, so went with a Brown Precision Blank that i finished and bedded myself, it is accurate and light, adjusted the trigger and put a 4-12 power scope on it when I first got it.
It became my go to for deer and goat/
Current favorite:

Winchester M70 EW/SS, topped w/ a 2.5-8x36mm Leupold in Talley LtWts...

... chambered in .277 O'Connor.

GR
First, there was the Herter's J9 in 6mm Remington, pushing Barnes 115gr Original RN's...

Then came my Winchester 94 in 30-30....

Then it became a VZ-24 in 8x57mm Mauser....

Then it was a sweet little Ruger in 260 Remington that shot 129gr Interlocks like a dream and stacked deer like cord wood...

Then the Marlin1895 GG became THE go-to mesquite brush rifle for over 15 years, while the 325 WSM was the cropland open field choice during that time.

Just recently added a 7mm-08 and a 270 Win to the stable. Both are putting bullet groups inside an inch at 100 yds now, when I do my part. Just have to work some loads up for both to replace the commercial loadings.

Both of these rifles have a chance to become a Deer Camp sweetheart...but that Marlin in 45-70 always makes the trip, regardless.

With Deer Camp growing in size now...many of these are still favorites. It's just that other people are shooting them now.
I like the 30 caliber rifles and the 7mm’s, I like the Remington 700’s.
But I’ve found that the 27 caliber works great too. (As does the 25).

Basically the old 700’s with anything from 6mm Remington to 300 Magnums. (Not the 300 WSM.) OK maybe the 243 too.

You didn’t ask, but I like 4x or 6x scopes. I don’t like variables.
Originally Posted by Bugger
I like the 30 caliber rifles and the 7mm’s,

What?.... 26's are chopped liver?
Well my favorite rifle is a 30-06 and I have shot a bunch of deer with it.
I’ll be glad when I can shoot again, eager to try my new shooting eye. I have a dozen to sight in. 358, 30-06, 300 H&H, 300 Wby, 32-40, 7 mag, couple 257 Roberts. It’s gonna be nice to look through clear scopes again.
My go to deer rifle is a Tikka 595 in .270 Winchester.
I know what you mean Hanco. I have loads to work up for the 300 Savage and 300 H&H both are single shot's I plan on taking to Texas for a free range Aoudad hunt. I just adopted a Winchester 1892 in 25-20. Don't know how well I'll shoot the iron sights but it's worth a try.
I think my favorite is my Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5X55 shooting 130 gr. Accubonds or the 130 gr. Scirocco.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I like the 30 caliber rifles and the 7mm’s,

What?.... 26's are chopped liver?

My only 26 was a 264 Win and I sold that 50 years ago. So I can’t say 26 is a favorite for deer. But I’d love to have a 6.5-06, a 6.5x55 like MD had made for him, and even a custom 6.5x57. I’ve been looking at 264’s on internet sites. Maybe I will re-barrel a tanger that I have to 264, but I’m leaning towards a 257 Weatherby.

Although I quit huntin' a few years ago.......

Mile deer or whitetail......or moose.....or Elk

No deer safe inside of 300 yrds with a Tikka 6.5x55
Whatever I happen to pull out'a the safe in the morning.... Most days it's a Kimber 6.5 youknowwhat - it's also been known to cause elk to take a sudden dirt nap...
8x57 mm Model 98 Masuer that was sporterized. At least until March 1978 when it and my house burned down.
Marlin 336, 30-30 that I bought to replace it. Shot a lot of whitetails with those guns.
My "Death Stare".
Right now it's my PA10 in .308.

My Mossberg 4x4 in .30-06 is the second most used. I used to go to my Marlin 336 in 30-30 but where I hunt now I need a little more range.
.243 for little ones

30-06 for big ones.
450 Bushmaster in a custom 99 Savage lever rifle.
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
450 Bushmaster in a custom 99 Savage lever rifle.

Got a 338 Federal 99 in the works. Should be fun
I shot it for the first time yesterday. A Sako 85 Bavarian in 25-06. Could well become my next favorite deer rifle and caliber. Incredibly accurate. Anyone else shooting the Sako 85 Bavarian? Thanks
Originally Posted by 300s
I shot it for the first time yesterday. A Sako 85 Bavarian in 25-06. Could well become my next favorite deer rifle and caliber. Incredibly accurate. Anyone else shooting the Sako 85 Bavarian? Thanks

I haven’t but man I’d not turn down a nice one that came in front of me.
Pre 64 fwt 280 rem with hand load of 120 TTSX a whistler!
I am jealous of all you state side deer hunters. Wife and me are in early 70's and just ain't up to packing a moose or caribou very far. Our little island deer eat as good or better then any Alaskan game and I have ate a few Alaskan critters in the last 55 years.

A buddy called me in November after a successful Prince William Sound deer hunt and told me to come pick up a whole deer, minus the innards. No kidding, he gave us a big fat doe that is so good. What a pal!

The few times I was fortunate enough to hunt our Sitka Black Tail Deer I scored some nice fat does in early November. All of my Alaska hunting has been done with my custom Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" and my old pre-64 Mod. 70 "Featherweight" 30-06.

I used the 30-06 and 165 grain Nosler Partitions. Since almost every place our deer are hunted has brown bears that often associate shots with deer gut piles. So when I hunt our deer I always want "enough gun", just in case. I would have no problem lung shooting a deer with my .338 and Barnes 225 grain TTSX bullets.

A couple of years ago I picked up a Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 Creed with a SWFA 3-9x42 FFP scope. It shoots 127 grain Barnes LRX bullets into tiny groups and in a pinch I am sure it would work on a big coastal brownie. But, really don't want to do that. So if it was not for big bears the Tikka would be my choice.
Field gun. Tikka 25-06 with a Straight 8 power S&B.

Favorite Hog Popper. Finnish M-28 in 7.62x54r

Shaw MV ll stainless, 21" barrel, 35 Rem:

Thompson Center Contender Carbine, SSK 22" barrel, .223 1:7 twist:

Originally Posted by kandpand
Shaw MV ll stainless, 21" barrel, 35 Rem:

Keith, it makes me smile every time I see that one. I've got one that's fairly close to that in .358 Win but for how I use it the .35 Rem would be just as good if not better. Very cool little rifle.
8 x 57 BRNO carbine...yup, way overkill on deer but a lot of confidence as it's 'enough gun' in the rare possibility when bruin contests ownership of a deer carcass or territory. It's more about the fast handling, light, short, rifle than cartridge choice. Say what you will about the Europeans, but when it comes to steep forested terrain, the foresters carbine, or alpine carbine as it is sometimes called, is hard to beat.
Remington 700 LTR .308
Remington model 7 in 358 Winchester loaded with 200 grain ttsx
Marlin MR-7 chambered in 280 Rem
139 grain Hornady SST
Ive had .243 to .300 mag.
Really enjoy my puddly .35 rem for under 150 yards.
Its like shooting a 20.ga field load.....no earth shattering roar, just a boom and a bump.

Have .308 and .3006 in heavy rifles that are easy on the shoulder. Purchased before i developed a shoulder issue.
Now that its screwed up I really like a comfy rifle even more.

Was worried about any rifle, shot the .35 w buttplate and just a T shirt and was wondering how bad itd be.
Thought I had a squib load it was so mild. 😂
For short range work a 308 loaded to soft 300 Savage levels is a pop gun, very pleasant to shoot.
I just found a great load for my 300 Savage with 4064 and 150 grain Accubond. It's going on a Aoudad hunt in Texas this fall.
For deer,257 Weatherby ultra lightweight shooting 120 grain Nosler partitions. Long range or short it doesn't seem to matter.
I've shot them with several calibers...from .30 Carbine to 300 RUM in 30 cal, little 6mm/47mm wildcat, 6mm/284, 240 Wby, 220 Swift, .280, 7mm RM, 257 Wby, 25-06, 7mm/08, 6.5/284.
Of all these, I find I tend to "favor" any round that is based or equivalent to '06 capacity/speed. I just find, to me, they kill better/faster, shoot flatter.
I have a .45 caliber Remington 700, short action with a Brux barrel in a carbon fiber stock with a Night Force scope sitting on top. I shoot a 275 grain Pittman bullet over 4198 powder.
I have a few. 25-06 probably nothing better for killing deer.
I love my 358 just a awesome caliber and great blood trail if there was one. Haven’t had one yet, DRT.
The mild recoil of the 7-08. It very effective on deer at any distance. Recently bought a Rem 742 in 308. Very nice to shot and the parent case of my other two rounds, isn’t half bad either. I have decisions to make when I go hunting and I’m torn between them all.
Used to be my 6,5x57R but these days I am leaning towards a 1:8" 22-250 shooting 77gr TMK.
While I like them all the hands down all time favorite is a pre64 M70 7MM carbine.
Remington Model Seven, 7mm-08.
CVA Mountain Rifle
.50 cal

it's is a toss up between my 700 BDL in 7 Rem Mag or my Custom Stocked Model 70 FWT in 280 Rem. though my Christensen Ridgeline in 28 Nosler is growing on me
Originally Posted by flintlocke
8 x 57 BRNO carbine...yup, way overkill on deer but a lot of confidence as it's 'enough gun' in the rare possibility when bruin contests ownership of a deer carcass or territory. It's more about the fast handling, light, short, rifle than cartridge choice. Say what you will about the Europeans, but when it comes to steep forested terrain, the foresters carbine, or alpine carbine as it is sometimes called, is hard to beat.

More than necessary maybe, but I wouldn't call it way overkill.
Well
Always been a Savage 99 fan and have several.
And
Since it just became legal in my state.
358 Winchester in said Savage 99
👍😊
Originally Posted by pete53
i have use plenty different cartridges and rifles ,finally for the the last some 20 years a custom Ruger # 1 chambered in a 257 Weatherby mag. its fast and knocks good bucks down fast too with my hand loads 100 grain bullet at 3800 FPS.

WOW!! I'm embarrassed to say what speed I'm getting out of my 25-06 shooting 100gr Hornady.

I too have a few choices for caliber's.. I'd even use you my 22-250 loaded with a 55 grain Barnes on our little Couse WT.
I like my Model Seventy Classic .270 best. It's a bit heavier than I like, but I shoot it awfully well, and the 24" barrel gets me a little "free velocity". I stuck it in a B&C stock, and it's nothing fancy, but it kills deer real dead.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7X57, Nosler140 grain Partition handload.
For the last 20 years I have killed piles of deer with a Browning BAR MKII Safari in 30-06 using 150 grain or 180 grain soft points. I’m shooting Hornady Interlock 180’s at around 2750 in hand loads now and it’s death.

That said, I’ve really started enjoying a Remington Model 7 SS in 308 with a Leupold 3-9x40 shooting Hornady Interlock 150’s.
Have a tikka t3 243. SS 6x, and 105gr bthp's. I have a hard time leaving that thing at home. It just works
I'm really surprised that there are so few small cartridges mentioned. It seems like the .28-30cal rounds are about all that's used.

I started with a .270 Win.. But the last 25 years I've stuck with a .257 Roberts. Now, I own 3 rifles in .243 Win. plus one custom .243 Ackley. We'll see how that goes.
I'm a rifle slut. I like to hunt with lots of different rifles. I've not killed near as many deer as a lot of folks here have, but from what I can remember right now as I type, have done so with the 7mm RM, 25-06, 6.5x55, .308 Win, 30-30, .338-06, .243 Win, and .257 Roberts. I have killed more with the Roberts than any other cartridge, and used it exclusively for over a decade, when the pace of work and deployments kept me from doing much rifle loonyism. Perhaps that makes it a favorite, but there are several more lined up waiting their turn in the decade or two I have left to take them afield. There's a .256 Newton, the .280 Rem I inherited from my dad (and several other of his rifles) a Griffin and Howe tribute 7x57 I'm building, a sweet custom 6.5 Grendel on an early CZ 527, and a custom 270 WSM with an 8" twist barrel.
And on top of all that I recently bought what is my most accurate rifle ever, a CA Mesa 6.5 CM - a legit .5 MOA rife with both the 139 Scenar and the 143 ELD-X. By all rights it probably ought the be the only thing I hunt deer with...ever - but then there's that slutty character flaw I've described.
But I have to say, that 1951 vintage .257 Roberts with the Leupold 4x has killed everything I ever pointed it at, and I sure do like it.

Cheers,
Rex
Rex I am too, I’ve tried to liquidate, but can’t. Got a few favorites, doesn’t matter, I like light bullets goin as fast as they can, and I’ve done a fair amount of killin…
[quote=TRexF16]I'm a rifle slut. I like to hunt with lots of different rifles.
Me too. Over the course of our deer season which runs from November 15 through January 1 in some form I'll take 8-10 different rifles to the blind. I still need to blood several #1's a 35 Whelan, 405, 375 H&H but the 450/400 got it done on a nice freezer doe in the late season.
My favorite rifle is always the next one and a sweet one is on the smith's bench right now. It's on a shortened Mauser action in 250 Savage.
Key word being Favorite? Easy answer for me, one my 30-30's! My Marlins 336 killed the most, but my Mod 64 Win has become my favorite by far! But I've got a new-old 94 that's doing well to gain first place. Where I hunt, mountains which equal 99% inside 75 yd shots, and most those inside 40yds, a Lever 30-30 & iron sights is hard to beat!
Now best all-around, my 30-06!
Originally Posted by Windknot
Key word being Favorite? Easy answer for me, one my 30-30's! My Marlins 336 killed the most, but my Mod 64 Win has become my favorite by far! But I've got a new-old 94 that's doing well to gain first place. Where I hunt, mountains which equal 99% inside 75 yd shots, and most those inside 40yds, a Lever 30-30 & iron sights is hard to beat!
Now best all-around, my 30-06!
Well said
There ain't many Levers with the eye-appeal of a Winchester with a 24" barrel, pistol grip, and half-mag.

I find the M71 and M64 equally appealing. It'd be a tie vote for "best in show" if I were the Judge.

As it is, I have a very plain-jane M94 that is far and away my sentimental favorite. My practical favorite is a Howa LW in .308 Win, not much longer or heavier than my M94 but much more practicle in the field.
a sweet one is on the smith's bench right now. It's on a shortened Mauser action in 250 Savage.

Details pls....kurz action or a cut and rewelded 98
.30 Caliber. I currently own 2 "deer" rifles, A Remington 760 carbine in 30-06 that I carry in the first part of the deer season when bear are also on the menu......And a Glenfield Model 30 in 30-30 that gets the nod the rest of the time.

.30 Caliber it is for me.
There ain't many Levers with the eye-appeal of a Winchester with a 24" barrel, pistol grip, and half-mag.

I find the M71 and M64 equally appealing. It'd be a tie vote for "best in show" if I were the Judge.

As it is, I have a very plain-jane M94 that is far and away my sentimental favorite. My practical favorite is a Howa LW in .308 Win, not much longer or heavier than my M94 but much more practicle in the field.

IMHO, there's no rifles, that have ever come anywhere near in my eyes & thinking, as the Mod 64 & 71!
Beauty=Perfect Form & Function, that you can't appreciate until you've hunted with one!
I just wish I owned a 71! And the calibers they come in, 348 for the 71, and especially 30-30 for the 64, max out their purposes at iron sight hunting ranges!

Of all the great Winchester rifles, the 64 & 71, are Winchesters masterpieces!
And yes, the Mod 70 for scoped hunting rifles.

This may just be your Huckleberry, but a 76 in 50 express has an undeniable cool factor…

Shrap that’s a gorgeous buck & a stunning rifle.
It is!
Where I hunt it’s either or I can hunt a ridge but see 300 yds or I hunt a field with a good rest and can see 300 yds a 270 fits both but a 308 does it better sometimes a 30-06 comes to light I switch them up
Originally Posted by Hook
a sweet one is on the smith's bench right now. It's on a shortened Mauser action in 250 Savage.

Details pls....kurz action or a cut and rewelded 98
It's a cut and rewelded 98. The smith bought it from Pete Grisel way back in the day. He's working on the stock right now.
If memory serves I've harvested the following deer with the following cartridges:

243 Win. (2); 257 Rbts. (2); 6.5 Swede (2); 270 Win. (2); 280 Rem (3); 30-06 (2); 338-06 (2); 54cal. roundball BP (8). And sometimes my memory needs to ferment... I also bagged one buck with a 270 WSM.
I aspire to shoot a deer with a nice little 7mm Mauser.

So, of course I don't know if I have a favorite. But I'd venture I'd grab a .270 Husq. or .280 Argentine if I was anticipating "long distance" (200 yd.+) shots, and I'd push 130-150 gr. Barnes.

And of course the .54 is the one I no longer own! But that is because I no longer live next door to a black powder only zone where I used to be able to shoot a deer as regular groceries.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This may just be your Huckleberry, but a 76 in 50 express has an undeniable cool factor…

That one of the coolest rifles I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for half or short magazines on all rifles.
Sako 75 Finlight in 6.5X55
Originally Posted by Judman
Rex I am too, I’ve tried to liquidate, but can’t. Got a few favorites, doesn’t matter, I like light bullets goin as fast as they can, and I’ve done a fair amount of killin…

Originally Posted by TRexF16
I'm a rifle slut. I like to hunt with lots of different rifles. I've not killed near as many deer as a lot of folks here have, but from what I can remember right now as I type, have done so with the 7mm RM, 25-06, 6.5x55, .308 Win, 30-30, .338-06, .243 Win, and .257 Roberts. I have killed more with the Roberts than any other cartridge, and used it exclusively for over a decade, when the pace of work and deployments kept me from doing much rifle loonyism. Perhaps that makes it a favorite, but there are several more lined up waiting their turn in the decade or two I have left to take them afield. There's a .256 Newton, the .280 Rem I inherited from my dad (and several other of his rifles) a Griffin and Howe tribute 7x57 I'm building, a sweet custom 6.5 Grendel on an early CZ 527, and a custom 270 WSM with an 8" twist barrel.
And on top of all that I recently bought what is my most accurate rifle ever, a CA Mesa 6.5 CM - a legit .5 MOA rife with both the 139 Scenar and the 143 ELD-X. By all rights it probably ought the be the only thing I hunt deer with...ever - but then there's that slutty character flaw I've described.
But I have to say, that 1951 vintage .257 Roberts with the Leupold 4x has killed everything I ever pointed it at, and I sure do like it.

Cheers,
Rex

Throw me into the same pot. I like rifles. I make no apologies. Could be a 222 or 458 Win Mag. Just depends on the mood.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Cheers,
Rex

Throw me into the same pot. I like rifles. I make no apologies. Could be a 222 or 458 Win Mag. Just depends on the mood.

Yep - as far as I know the affliction is incurable & I'm ok with that.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Cheers,
Rex

Yep - as far as I know the affliction is incurable & I'm ok with that.

Same here. Sometimes I wished I had one Ol Betsy, but I just can’t seem to get over the hump of less than about 30 of em’.
In 1981 my Dad bought a Remington 7600 in .30/06, topped it with a Leupold 2x7 and promptly stuck in the gunroom and forgot about it. Fast forward to 1984, when I was finally old enough to go up to the deer camp in the Upper Peninsula and I needed a rifle. That rifle has been with me ever since and has been to Alaska, Africa and New Zealand. From Michigan to Montana to now on the Eastern Shore, if I felt comfortable with the shot, this rifle has never let me down.
Savage 99F in 300 Sav topped with Leupold M8 6X. Factory Winchester Silvertips 180 grain. Anything under 300 is not safe. This was taken at 230 yards. Just seems to fit right and feel good in the hands and at the shoulder.

I love my 270, my main deer rifle. A true deer killing classic and simply works, at any distance.
Lately I like the even lighter recoiling rifles. 223, 76239, 6.5 CM. Terrain pending, I would not hesitate to use any of them
7 Rem 7 weatherby, it is a tossup between those 2.
The summer I was 15 I bought a Model 81 BLR in 308. Someone had special ordered it from Browning with no sights. They put a deposit with the dealer, Rite Way Sports in Hardwick Vermont, and never came back to pick it up. I got a great deal. I think Larry had a soft spot for a kid spending his hard earned money. I literally spent all I had and could not buy ammo. He threw in a box for free. Will never forget how well he treated me.

I have hunted with that gun every year since. It is loaded with memories and is the last thing I would ever sell. Every time I handle the gun memories of time in the woods with my now deceased father come up. A few years ago my son shot a couple of deer with it and REALLY wants it. Now we are creating new memories together. I recently bought a 358 that is identical except for having sights and am setting as close as possible to the 308. That will be my new primary rifle. I plan on giving the 308 to my son for his high school graduation present next spring.

Any decent rifle is a tool capable of doing the job, some maybe better than that BLR. None could ever mean more to me or my son and I really think that is why it will always be my favorite.

Sorry for being so sappy.
1982 Winchester 70 featherweight in .308

Almost didn’t buy it and certainly glad I did .
I have a weakness for 25 cal rifles.

My favorite was a 700 classic in 257 Roberts
til my wife killed her first deer with it. She immediately
claimed it for herself.

The last 6 years I have been using my 700 mountain rifle
Chambered in 25-06. It has since became my favorite
deer rifle.

I may accidentally pack my heavy ass 25-06 Sendero Special once or twice this season just because it don't get out much.
6mm Creedmoor

Caliber is .308 and rifle is Ruger mk2.
Savage 99, re-barreled in 450 Bushmaster, Swaro 1.5x6x42 scope. I can't imagine a more perfect South Texas brush gun that when paired with handloads using Bear Creek Ballistics Bullets is super accurate as in one 5 shot large hole every time at 100 yards and drops them dead every single time. I am comfortable out to 250 yards with this but almost never see anything at that range. I now know why people have raved about the 45 70 for the last 130+ years.
been there.
Marlin 1895 in 45-70. 300 grain JP at 2060 fps. Same load really shines in my stainless Ruger No 1 as well
Not sure if it will become my favourite deer rifle, but I just bought a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 that is a pretty handy little rifle.

My only complaint is the extended 5 round mag lands right in the same spot where you would carry it in one hand.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Not sure if it will become my favourite deer rifle, but I just bought a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 that is a pretty handy little rifle.

My only complaint is the extended 5 round mag lands right in the same spot where you would carry it in one hand.

Super Cub, I found the 527 is short enough that I carry mine by the pistol grip, muzzle pointing down, most of the time. Very handy for me.
Originally Posted by Joe
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Super Cub, I found the 527 is short enough that I carry mine by the pistol grip, muzzle pointing down, most of the time. Very handy for me.

Liking this rifle as much as I do surprised me. I don't normally gravitate towards a rifle like that. Usually I like longer bbls and classic cartridges.
Looking back. I would say: 243 Win. 308 Wen. 270 Win.

I don't think I ever had a deer run off after I shot them with a 243. More dead right there than not, with the other two.

I did a run with a 7-mm Remington Magnum, I shot a lot of everything for a few years as well. Moose to rabbits.
Most any and all will work fine for deer. Need to put the bullet in the right spot.
Can’t remember. It’s either a .243, .257, 7x57, .30-30, .358, .38-55, .45 ML, .45-70 or a .50 ML.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Can’t remember. It’s either a .243, .257, 7x57, .30-30, .358, .38-55, .45 ML, .45-70 or a .50 ML.

I like the way you roll.
Montana Rifle Company XWR-SS .308 Win with a Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x42

Barnes TTSX 130 grain @ 3100 fps.

[Linked Image]
heckuva buck jeffbird!
Originally Posted by JGRaider
heckuva buck jeffbird!

Thank you JGR.
Ruger american 270win is great. Savage axis 243 next in line
My Marlin XL-7 .270 shoots like a dream
My only rifle is a Kimber Montana 7mm-08 that is good for anything I will ever shoot anymore.
I have a 21” Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor that I bought new from shortactionsmoker a while back

I suspect it’ll be the favorite someday.

I have Tanner’s old 243 Ackley and a Tikka in 308 that I’m pretty fond of, as well.

Originally Posted by Savedbygrace2001
Barrett fieldcraft 7mm-08 rifle 21"
To me it's the perfect whitetail gun
25.06 puts em down!
Toss up between ruger 77 mk 2 7mm rem. Or my current deer rifle tikka t3x 300 win.
Welcome to the 'fire!
Originally Posted by jeffbird

[Linked Image]

Damn nice buck!!!!
Hello Jenkins9,
Welcome to the 24 Hour Campfire.
Thank you
Rem Mod 7 in .243 in open country,Marlin 336 in .30.30 gets used the most on our small Hill Country lease.
223 or 308 in defiance 700 clone
My favorite deer rifle is whichever one I happen to be using at the time. I hunt with a 243, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 mostly. I bought a 30-06 and may use it some this year. Also have hunted with a 270, 7X57, 35 Rem, 44 Mag, 6.8 SPC, and 44 Mag.

If, for some reason, you put a gun to my head and told me that I had to go kill a deer today, or else, I would probably drag my Model 700 Classic 270 out of the safe, and use it with the utmost of confidence. I've killed a slew of deer with it, and the only reason I don't hunt with it now is because I just like shooting different rifles.
Originally Posted by jeffbird

[Linked Image]
Nice buck and nice rifle.

I have a similar looking MRC X3 chambered in 6.5CM that is one of my go to rifles. At the time that I bought it I wanted the same rifle in 280AI but I was a day late so bought the 6.5 CM. That MRC a Marlin 336 that I shot my first buck with and a CZ 527 chambered in 6.5 Grendel get hunted with the most but I like working other rifles into the rotation.

I’ve never owned a rifle chambered in 270 but have always thought that a wood stocked Kimber 270 Win would be a just about perfect western deer rifle.
It was a vintage savage 99 in .300 savage, I can see why old timers liked that set up.

Currently enjoying my Winchester xtr in .308 , a perfect deer caliber and rifle in my opinion.
My current favorite for NE whitetail hunting is my Marlin 30AS 356 Winchester Trapper rebore with a Leupold 1-4x scope. My shots are 200 yards and under.
CZ 550 American with a Trijicon Accupoint scope, green tritium dot centered in a mil-dot reticle and chambered in 6.5x55 Swede. I handload 130 grain Nosler Accubonds over 48 grains of Viht N560 in Lapua cases. Accurate and deadly and i will continue shooting it well into my golden years. I wouldn't mind working up a new load with the 142 grain Long Range Accubonds, they were not available when I started hunting with this rifle.
Originally Posted by Zrack656
The summer I was 15 I bought a Model 81 BLR in 308. Someone had special ordered it from Browning with no sights. They put a deposit with the dealer, Rite Way Sports in Hardwick Vermont, and never came back to pick it up. I got a great deal. I think Larry had a soft spot for a kid spending his hard earned money. I literally spent all I had and could not buy ammo. He threw in a box for free. Will never forget how well he treated me.

Sorry for being so sappy.

grin grin

Brought a smile to my face ! We N E E D more business men like that. I'm afraid it's a thing of the past.

Jerry
I had/have a couple favorites for my whitetail hunting which has been conducted 100% in Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, and West Virginia. In the past it was a Winchester XTR Featherweight in 6.5x55. Currently it's a Ruger #1 in 6.5x55. (See a trend there?) Various .30's with heavy cast bullets have also figured prominently and this year either an original Model 1903 NRA Sporter and/or a .30-40 Krag sporter will get some "air time". (Now that eminent cataract surgery will restore my ability to see through iron sights again.)

An opportunity is presented to me this year to hunt some prime deer country in Ohio with an old pard. Being a "straight wall cartridge zone" I'm planning to use a Martini Cadet single shot in .357 Magnum.
Winchester 1894 32-40 Takedown...

glad you're back I always enjoy your guns and pic's

How can one possibly use a rig like that to kill a deer, especially there in the "high, wide, and lonesome". I would be led to believe a 6.5 Creedmoor at minimum or better yet a .30 Whizbang Magnum was needed for such work. whistle grin
Clear that Shrapnel is a hunter, not just a shooter.
Best deer to date, 45-70...

Who is that kid? laugh
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I had/have a couple favorites for my whitetail hunting which has been conducted 100% in Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, and West Virginia. In the past it was a Winchester XTR Featherweight in 6.5x55. Currently it's a Ruger #1 in 6.5x55. (See a trend there?) Various .30's with heavy cast bullets have also figured prominently and this year either an original Model 1903 NRA Sporter and/or a .30-40 Krag sporter will get some "air time". (Now that eminent cataract surgery will restore my ability to see through iron sights again.)

An opportunity is presented to me this year to hunt some prime deer country in Ohio with an old pard. Being a "straight wall cartridge zone" I'm planning to use a Martini Cadet single shot in .357 Magnum.

Looking forward to hearing about your hunt!

Pretty fun to discuss all the different stuff that works for us all.

Shrapnel does have some neat danged stuff that takes great pictures!
When a rifle does this every time, it becomes a favourite here.

I had the scope off and on (Talley QDs) so had to confirm POI thus the two shot groups. Top group 1st fired. Bottom group adjusted.

I own a Winchester XTR Featherweight in 6.5x55. and I must say it’s a pretty great shooter.
.308 has been my go to for 10 years but I'm looking forward to trying my 6.5 Creedmoor this season
7mm RM, for some reason it's often the one I pick from the safe before I head out the door. Was not thrilled about the chambering when I built it have grown to like it very much. Win 70 CRF, Shilen barrel, Brown Precision stock, Zeiss Divari 3x12-56. Something about the combination of the parts makes this rifle very easy to shoot, very moderate felt recoil.
Originally Posted by 257Bob
7mm RM, for some reason it's often the one I pick from the safe before I head out the door. Was not thrilled about the chambering when I built it have grown to like it very much. Win 70 CRF, Shilen barrel, Brown Precision stock, Zeiss Divari 3x12-56. Something about the combination of the parts makes this rifle very easy to shoot, very moderate felt recoil.
I had you marked for 257 R for some reason. Just a hunch.

Man you were young there. What happened. I remember seeing another pic of you and an bison in a book in Venturino's book. Time flies
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I had you marked for 257 R for some reason. Just a hunch.

When I joined the Campfire (introduced by MuleDeer in 2003) I was very interested in everything 257, including the 250-3000, 257R, 257 Improved, 25-06 and 257 Wby mag. I've owned Win 70 rifles in all of those chamberings, including three semi-custom in 257R. I did the same with the 6.5s, including 260, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, 6.5CM and 264 WM, all Win 70s as well. Well, times and interest have changed, have culled off much of my collection and there are no 25 or 6.5s in my safe presently. Figure no sense in changing my moniker, wouldn't make much of a difference but I was a 257 R fan when I joined the Campfire almost 20 years ago.
So have you moved up to the 7s and 30s or down to the 6s and 22s?
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Man you were young there. What happened. I remember seeing another pic of you and an bison in a book in Venturino's book. Time flies
He met deflavis.
My current favorite for NE Whitetail hunting is my Marlin 30AS 356 Winchester Trapper rebore with a Leupold 1-4x scope.
My favorite for deer hunting here in NC has to be my Colt Coltsman in 30-06 with a leupold vx2 3-9x40.
My favorite is my Winchester Model 70 Classis Stainless in 300 Win mag. However, I have killed deer with a 7mm Mag, 338 Win Mag, 30-06, 270 win, 270 Weatherby Mag.
Weatherby mark v super game master 30-06. That gun and I have some memories and covered alot of miles. I have killed so much meat and some big deer with that rifle. It's had like 3 scopes. Currently it wears a leupold vx5 HD 2-10x42. Very light weight and a great hunting rifle.
Post removed to protect Shag's mental health.
Originally Posted by BigDogBoogie
Remington 760 .270 and plain ol' 130 grain Core-Lokt's.

A .270win isn't a caliber you fk tards. Good god.
sea-ah... sea-ah... sea-ah... Seven Millimeter... wah... wah... wah... Winchester... mah... mah... mah... Model Seventy... ba-dea-ah... ba-dea-ah... ba-dea-ah... that's all Folks...
Originally Posted by Caplock
I have an array to chose from but in recent years a Remington 722 in 300 Savage has become my favorite not only because of the cartridge but love the way the rifle fits.

I decided to get back into 300 Savage and picked up a 722. First 300 Savage that isn't a 99 in one flavor or the other! Looking forward to getting to know this rifle, already a big fan of the cartridge.
Originally Posted by Shag
Originally Posted by BigDogBoogie
Remington 760 .270 and plain ol' 130 grain Core-Lokt's.

A .270win isn't a caliber you fk tards. Good god.

Have you tried decaf?
No! lol
That’s “No, Laugh out Loud” as described under Article 2, Section 3.11b……..for God’s sake take an anti-anal tablet and try again tomorrow!!!

PennDog

p.s. mine is .257
.338 and 7mm. I prefer short actions for deer so cartridges would be 338Fed and 7mm08. Give me a Remington 7, 600 or 700 please.
Kimber Montana 25-06
We have to use straightwall ammo in Iowa (leaps better than 12 ga with rifled barrels and sabots tho!). 350 Legend (Winchester 180gr .357 diameter) works real well and is most of our hunting groups go to round now.
My 270 tikka t3 in the last 10 years ive killed way more nice bucks with my tc triumph 50 caliber muzzleloader. Virgina early muzzleloader season just hit in the best hunting times. first 2 weeks of november. Killed a 9 pt and a huge bodies 6 pt this year , one sunday,one monday. They were running does to death.
Bar 270 nicknamed "The instrument "
Remington 7600 is my favorite rifle.

.280 Rem is my favorite cartridge.
i have been handloading over 50 years now, i have killed a mess of deer with a whole lot of different calibers. our season here in SC on private land runs from Aug. 15-jan1 up until about 5 years ago there was no limit on bucks, and several does. so, in my youth i had opportunity to kill more than a plenty. and to tell you the truth there aint a nickel worth of difference from one caliber to the next in my experience, it is all about shot placement. if i had to say the best all around, it would be the 30-06,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Originally Posted by OLSKOOL
i have been handloading over 50 years now, i have killed a mess of deer with a whole lot of different calibers. our season here in SC on private land runs from Aug. 15-jan1 up until about 5 years ago there was no limit on bucks, and several does. so, in my youth i had opportunity to kill more than a plenty. and to tell you the truth there aint a nickel worth of difference from one caliber to the next in my experience, it is all about shot placement. if i had to say the best all around, it would be the 30-06,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

FINALLY
someone in SC that is older than me.
LOL!!
If they're all just as good on deer why saddle yourself with 30-06 recoil?
This question is not easy! But if I had to narrow it down to one whitetail round, it would probably be 270 out of my T3. Hand loaded Nosler ballistic tips.
My go anywhere Savage in .308 Win complete with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. It's been a tack driver for years! cool
Amen brother but 7-08……
Originally Posted by moosemike

30-06 recoil!!! 😂 memtb
223, 22-250 or 243 definitely nothing bigger for deer.
Originally Posted by LBP

Unless longer ranges are involved, these offer velocities high enough to make a lot of bloodshot meat. Any waste of meat on a Whitetail …..is too much meat loss! JMO

Larger, slower will kill effectively without the bloodshot meat! memtb
well as far as recoil goes and saddling myself with it, when i shoot a deer, it is most always one time, and i can sure handle one shot, as most hunters can, so there is no issue with that at all,,,,,,,,,,,
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by LBP

Unless longer ranges are involved, these offer velocities high enough to make a lot of bloodshot meat. Any waste of meat on a Whitetail …..is too much meat loss! JMO

Although I agree in principle, that hasn't been my experience. Maybe bullets used matter more than anything.
There’s so many sub 30 cal cartridges that will easily take a deer and handle shoulder bone if necessary .

I think the all around sweet spot is the 6.5to 7mm range
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by LBP

Although I agree in principle, that hasn't been my experience. Maybe bullets used matter more than anything.

Perhaps a bit of both! Equally placed the bloodshot will generally be greater with the higher velocities. Obviously, a highly frangible bullet while create more shallow tissue damage, whereas a heavy slow mover will make a longer wound channel. Though, the longer wound channel through tissue doesn’t necessarily mean more blood shot meat! JMO. memtb
well as far as recoil goes and saddling myself with it, when i shoot a deer, it is most always one time, and i can sure handle one shot, as most hunters can, so there is no issue with that at all,,,,,,,,,,,
If they're all just as good as each other I'm going 223

30-06 recoil!!! 😂 memtb
I'm glad you find it so amusing. It amounts to around 20 ft lbs. A 243 is 9

30-06 recoil!!! 😂 memtb
I'm glad you find it so amusing. It amounts to around 20 ft lbs. A 243 is 9

Yep! No argument there! Most hunters shoot less than a half dozen cartridges during a season of big game hunting. A duck hunter may shoot a box of shells in one outing! Chances are the shotgun has greater “felt” recoil than does the typical 30-06!

Never considered most any big game cartridge to have offensive recoil!

Obviously, if the rifleman has a shoulder issue or perhaps an eye issue whereby recoil may injure or be very painful to shoot…..a different story! memtb
308 Remington 700 LTR
Originally Posted by LBP

Perhaps a bit of both! Equally placed the bloodshot will generally be greater with the higher velocities. Obviously, a highly frangible bullet while create more shallow tissue damage, whereas a heavy slow mover will make a longer wound channel. Though, the longer wound channel through tissue doesn’t necessarily mean more blood shot meat! JMO. memtb
My dogs will look at you with the saddest faces if they find out you're trying to school me on bloodshot meat reduction. One may attempt to bribe you.
Originally Posted by LBP

My dogs will look at you with the saddest faces if they find out you're trying to school me on bloodshot meat reduction. One may attempt to bribe you.

Now that’s funny right there! 👍 memtb
Oh Wow ....at now 78 years old I cannot count all the rifles I've ever owned...much less liked... starting with the Sako 243 my grandfather "gave me half of" as a wedding present, and made me pay him for the other half of the money he was due, from the guy who'd borrowed $500 and never paid a dime of it, ...it was a very good thing that GF took the SAKO as collateral. 10-15 years later I got hired a couple times in the Sporting Goods Industry after we moved back to Texas from my gypsy life schlepping consumer goods in Florida, Illinois, Arkansa & the western half of Tennessee, and my wife and family living in Dallas. 1st with a territory of the eastern half of Texas with
a major sized SG warehouse 1 of 3 regional operations - Berns in Denver & the EllettBro's in Chapin SC. Then a 5 state territory of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas for Stoeger.

My very first rifle was a Springfield 03-A3 30'06 that had been "sporterized" by a bored fireman in his down time...cost me a little less than a $100 as I recall for the rifle that still had it's steel butt plate, but would shoot mil-surp ammo - a dozen rounds for a dollar kind of ammo, in the palm of your hand sized group's at 100 yards, and kick the snot out of me when I crawled the stock to see a 100 yard target thru the peep sight.

I'll have to think about this ...so look back here again if interested.
Ron
Originally Posted by LBP

My kids and I have used them out to about 450 yards for the 243 and probably 350 yards for the 223 and 22-250 that takes in most deer hunting. As far as bloodshot meat if you shoot them behind the shoulder there isn’t any. On the shoulder a little I guess but the shoulders are just ground meat for us anyway.
Well…..if you do a “reverse stalk” and shoot them at close range, where velocities are near or above 3K fps…….I predict bloodshot in the shoulder area, even if hit behind the shoulder! memtb
Well…..if you do a “reverse stalk” and shoot them at close range, where velocities are near or above 3K fps…….I predict bloodshot in the shoulder area, even if hit behind the shoulder! memtb
If they’re that close I’ll shoot them where the neck meets the head, instant lights out and no wasted meat.
Many here have way more experience than I, my favorite and first choice would be my Ruger M77 tang safety in .35 Whelen, now wearing a McMillian stock and Nikon Monarch 3x-12x. Every deer I've ever shot with it was DRT! This rifle was a wedding present from my wife 30 years ago. I miss it's wood stock but I had two different stocks crack on me, both lengthwise through the grip. I would definitely miss my Ruger Gunsite Scout as that is just the handiest little deer rifle.
Originally Posted by bjc68
Many here have way more experience than I, my favorite and first choice would be my Ruger M77 tang safety in .35 Whelen, now wearing a McMillian stock and Nikon Monarch 3x-12x. Every deer I've ever shot with it was DRT! This rifle was a wedding present from my wife 30 years ago. I miss it's wood stock but I had two different stocks crack on me, both lengthwise through the grip. I would definitely miss my Ruger Gunsite Scout as that is just the handiest little deer rifle.

I have a wood stock for that same rifle if you ever want to try another!
Thank you for the kind offer. I've actually gotten quite used to the McMillan, much easier to care for.
Originally Posted by bjc68
Thank you for the kind offer. I've actually gotten quite used to the McMillan, much easier to care for.

No problem, I did the same.
Originally Posted by LBP
If they’re that close I’ll shoot them where the neck meets the head, instant lights out and no wasted meat.

Head/neck shots…….a topic for a new post! Though I’ll make my response now…..don’t do them, don’t believe in them! Extremely effective……most of the time, but not always! memtb
I've probably killed more with a Browning B-78 .25-06 than anything else, but can't say I have a favorite. Just whatever grabs my fancy that day.
Most of mine fell to various Swedes, a long blond with peep sights, a sporterized 1900 Carl Gustav, and a new CZ 550. The CZ is pretty, scary accurate, but heavy. My nicest is a 243 Sako pre Garcia. That's probably my favorite. It works well.
Bloody Mary Cooper .243 A.I. Rio7
I have to go with my 700 Mountain Rifle in 25-06.
Shoots good and fits me good. Wood is getting kinda rough looking these days. Probably gonna end up wearing synthetic in the not so distant future.
223 in a bolt gun or an ar platform, all that’s needed for small white tails.
.30-06 is all I have to say lol
old Remington model 700 I did up a Brown precision stock for it, it is in 25/06, works for deer, goats, grouse.
Sako 85 308 Winchester, 155 Scenar’s
Springfield 30-40 krag . Original from 1896
Pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight 3006, McMillan stock, Ruger no. 1 3006, Winchester XTR 7 x 57.
Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creed with a 3-10 SHV. Pretty boring, but it works well.
I'd have to say "it depends":

Open country, longish shots; my Nolser M48 in .270Win with Leupold HD6X 2-12x42 with 130 NABs at 3170FPS

Stands, blinds, smaller fields; my Rem M7 in .260 with 20" PacNor barrel with 2.5-8x36 scope shooting 130 NABs at just over 2800FPS

Woods; drives and still hunting; Rem M7 in .350RM with either 1.25-4x or 2.5-8x36 with 200 Hornady SPs at 2830FPS

Forced to pick just one, probably the M7 in .260 it makes a pretty good elusive "all around" deer rifle.
For a box blind my all time favorite hands down is a Pre 64 M70 7MM carbine
I'd take "Killer", my Kimber Hunter in 6.5 youknowwhat... 3X9 SWFA on deck.

Someday I'm going to wipe the deer virgin off of my Browning 1885 low wall .260 and shoot a buck with it! So far it's only killed two elk.... I'm scared to drag it through the bush -
This can change every year. This year 23/24 season re barreled Tikka chambered in 35 Remington by me will take front and center. Still have days that I'll carry Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.
Caliber is .308
Rifle is Weatherby Vanguard s2, at least until the Alabama deer season ends.
For sure that…

Last deer I killed was with a pre-64 .358 Win FWT.

One before that, 7-08, before that .257R, before that .308 Win, etc, etc.

All these deer ended up in the skinning shed, no complaints.

DF
Lately, I've been using a Howa 1500 Mini chambered in 375 SOCOM.
There are no real long shots on my place since it's only a 1/2 mile on a side and almost all timber.

Tony
If I was to pick one , probably be Valmet 12gauge over 30-06 , VX II 2-7 , shotgun shot fine and 06 barrel shot 180’s clover leafed .
Got my first bear with that gun and a slew of deer .
Unfortunately some dick weed stole it along with several other rifles some years ago .
Since then I have hunted with a variety of calibers and rifles .
1895 Marlin 45/70 is a sweet heart , 03A3 springfield with peeps , Ruger American compact 308 , Venture 30-06 what a hammer , Ruger Ranch 300 BO , Remington 700 LSS with a rebarrel in 243 will shoot 1/4” groups or less with 103 ELDX’s .
One I recently sold was a BAR 30-06 , that was a hammer too .
721 in 30/06 , loved that gun , John Brown built it for me with a Shilen match grade 06 barrel , son of a bitch would flat shoot , cold shots unreal . Then one day the extractor went pooy and even bought an extra one for it , but never trusted it again .
Sold it , hope the fellow realizes what he got .
Kenneth
MRC X2 in .260 Rem, 20" barrel, Nomad Ti suppressor, Zeiss HD5 2.0- 10 x 42

Shooting Barnes 120 gr. TTSX
The areas I hunt close to home are shotgun or muzzleloader only so they account for most of my deer. That being said when I head out of town my favorite deer rifle is a Winchester model 70 sporter in .270 Winchester topped with a Leupold VX 2 3x9x40. Definitely my favorite rifle to shoot and carry. Pet load is 57grains of RL-22 pushing a 130 interlock.

Pic is from this past seasons PA Public land buck

Attached picture A4DD5CCC-E723-4A00-A010-3386F64F8D53.jpeg
It still has to be my 30-06, a very lightweight custom built on an FN commercial action. It has a #2 Barrel, blind box mag, and is bedded in an old Acculite stock. Even the rings and bases have been sculpted to minimize weight. The stock has a textured paint job in speckeled gray and black. The metal was done in what was called Arctic Kote and has worn like iron. It’s wicked accurate with all of the 150 and 165 grain loads I’ve tried over IMR 4350. The rig has been rock solid since I bought it. And the Hornady ILs I prefer have been very effective.
.24 caliber

Model 700 BDL.
Originally Posted by KillerBee
.30-06 is all I have to say lol

That says it all !!
Mine would be a Marlin 336 in 35 REM for hunting close in thick places and a 1935 Mexican Mauser custom in 7mmX57 when hunting an area where the shots might be a little longer.
I enjoyed the most deer hunting success with a classic Model 700 BDL chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum. Unfortunately I threw it off the top of the truck and it was never the same. Been in a funk ever since.
It depends but generally I use my PSA PA-10 Gen 3 in .308.
The weather where I hunt ranges from the 50s to the 20s during deer season, so I like using an AR with an adjustable stock.
Cartridge: 6.5CM. Good trajectory and plenty of punch for any deer and pretty much any angle/shot required with low recoil. Easy to shoot.
Rifle: Tikka T3X Superlite Stainless. What you get in terms of accuracy and weight (lack there of) is pretty pretty good.
Shot 30/06 class for a long time. Decided it was way over kill for deer. Did a search and ended up liking the 250 savage with 100 grain about anything the best.
Caliber, if it says Savage after it...
However, in today's world, I sincerely wish that new round was called the 6.5 Savage 300, not Creedmore.
Many years ago there was a 270 Savage, it was the first Creedmore. Then the 250ai, the better Creedmore.
For a rifle. I like a lever under my rifle. Just feels right.
Barring that, a classic, lefty bolt, anything not "modern" or tactical looking.
Model 70,

as to caliber, it doesn't take much to put down a deer. shot placement matters more than caliber.... however I do prefer either something in 6.5 mm or 6mm.....

Last couple of years tho, I've really been warming up to the 6.5 Grendal I have chambered in a Ruger Predator, with a 22 inch barrel.
Originally Posted by DCR48
Shot 30/06 class for a long time. Decided it was way over kill for deer. Did a search and ended up liking the 250 savage with 100 grain about anything the best.

easy to do as we age, isn't it? are we getting weaker or smarter? I think its getting smarter....
7-08 has been my favorite round for deer, and everything else, for nearly 40 years. A Kimber Montana, so chambered, has become my go-to rifle, thanks to Ted (Poconojack).

I do switch things up and enjoy my dad's and gramp's five diamond 760s, or my 70 Featherweights, 77RLs and Savage 99s. Other favorite deer chambers for these guns include 35 Rem, 300 and 250 Sav, 260 Rem and 257 Roberts.
On our little deer down here, I shoot them in the shoulders and let the dogs have em. I’ve used 223, 220 swift, 25-06, 270, 270 short mag, 7mm RM, 45/70, and 338 LM. I’ve killed a lot with most of them. Least favorite was 338 LM. Most favorite is anything over the 22 calibers up to the 7mm RM. I’ve killed a lot of deer and hogs with 22 caliber rifles and don’t have anything against them because the all worked for my application well, it’s because over longer ranges they lose a lot of azz. The larger rifles typically carry a bigger payload over longer distances. The 338 lapua looked like you drove a steel rod through the deer.

223 is H&R
220 Swift savage
25-06 Savage 110FP
270 Savage
270 short mag Savage
7mm RM Rem 700
Custom Rem. 700 7 X 57 and a Rem. 700 25-06 are prolly my 2 favorites.
The way most people hunt today about anything works. In the old days with still hunts and drives, it was a different story. Probably 80 of deer killed now are over baits or "food plots"! Easy, but kind of sad.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
The way most people hunt today about anything works. In the old days with still hunts and drives, it was a different story. Probably 80 of deer killed now are over baits or "food plots"! Easy, but kind of sad.

Not sad down here. Ag fields have good viability but everything else is just about shotgun range. If you don't put out bait or food plots here, you don't really hunt.

I sure would not want to hunt that way. Hunting over baits isn’t legal in SD at any rate.
I should add that I do realize some of this type of hunting is due to the conditions found in that state and it IS about the only way success can be hand. But it has spread over much country that never permitted this activity before, mostly under the guise of food plots.
What about Bear Hunting over baits in Wyoming? Is that OK?
25.06 I just like it. And it does the job nicely.
.223 with 75gr gold dots is about all I use these days.
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
Caliber, if it says Savage after it...
However, in today's world, I sincerely wish that new round was called the 6.5 Savage 300, not Creedmore.
Many years ago there was a 270 Savage, it was the first Creedmore. Then the 250ai, the better Creedmore.
For a rifle. I like a lever under my rifle. Just feels right.
Barring that, a classic, lefty bolt, anything not "modern" or tactical looking.
Are you talking about the 270 Titus?
No favorites. Though a 6.5 creed or a 223 How are often the ones with us. As is always a Glock 20 and the 20 has taken who knows how many deer and pigs by now.

Instead of a favorite we try to use a different one on deer every season if possible. Even if its only a different barnes bullet in the same gun etc...

This years favorite toy was a 54 flintlock.

Next year is going to be a 44 Dragoon hopefully or a 380 acp.
For the past two seasons I’ve used a Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor, but looking back over 25 years of hunting I see that I’ve shot the most deer with my pre ‘64 Winchester model 70 Featherweight in .270. I used to get bored handloading for it since it shoots any reasonable bullet/powder into around 3/4 MOA. Took way too many years for me to figure out that that’s a good thing…
Have killed over 100 deer with my 257 Weatherby Vanguard. Know what it is capable of, which is more than I can do.
22 s are not legal for bear in Wyoming.
I seem to gravitate towards a .308 caliber.

Recent purchase is a .308 Mx. 336 marlin

Basically a 300 savage. With a hammer.

In civilized areas I prefer a heavier slower bullet.

45/70.

I bought a 45 colt 1894 to use this year
Originally Posted by dcd
25.06 I just like it. And it does the job nicely.

yup
For doe hunts that don't allow cf rifles I like my 220 Savage 20 gauge with a 3-9x40 Leupold on it.

For hunts that allow CF rifles:
Steep country - Kimber 84L Montana in .30-06 shortened to 22 In barrel, iron sights added, has a 2.5-8x36 Leupold for a scope.
Flatter country - M70 SS M70 CRF All Terrain FW, .30-06, iron sights added, 2.5-8x36 Leupold for scope
Winchester model 70 in McMillan fiberglass. Leupold VX6 2 X 12. 300 Win Mag. 130 gn TTSX
300 yards and in... Ruger Predator in 5.56//.223 With a can and Swar 2.5-15x56BT
300 yards out... Browning About II Medallion .270Win BOSS with the above also.
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
7-08 has been my favorite round for deer, and everything else, for nearly 40 years. A Kimber Montana, so chambered, has become my go-to rifle, thanks to Ted (Poconojack).

I do switch things up and enjoy my dad's and gramp's five diamond 760s, or my 70 Featherweights, 77RLs and Savage 99s. Other favorite deer chambers for these guns include 35 Rem, 300 and 250 Sav, 260 Rem and 257 Roberts.
I have a Montana in 7/08. It's cerakoted black. It's a joy to carry, and hunt with, pretty much my go to deer rifle.
Don't have one...I use to think bigger is better... what a joke that turned out to be...

Deer I shot with a 300 Win mag, were no deader than ones I shot with a 243 or a 22.250

Last couple deer I've taken were shot with a 6.5 Grendal....those were bang flops also...

all handloaded of course....don't use factory ammo except in Rimfires...
.260 Rem Tikka T3 or T/C Encore
Mod 7KS in 7-08
For now, I like this Winchester high wall in 25-35. It is a special order take down with set triggers…

Pretty fancy shooting iron! That vernier sight is cool, with my eyes, it would be like looking through a screen door.
Thats a very nice rifle Shrapnel. I also wish my eyes would enable me to shoot something like that. I have a Winchester 1892 in 25-20 that begs to go hunting but I can't shoot it well enough to take it. frown
257 WBY Mark 5 Ultralight
I have this rifle as well. It's my go to western rifle especially for Antelope

I sure would not want to hunt that way. Hunting over baits isn’t legal in SD at any rate.
So. Bait or not. if you shoot them where they are eating its basically baiting. Regardless the legal part of it.

Drives. Yeah. Can't hunt a deer on its own turf so you push it out to where you can shoot it.

I'm not seeing a lot of difference there.

I'm not keen on the drive part. Mostly due to adrenalin in the meat worries. And the fact I dont' have time to judge the age/antlers/sex etc...

That said If its what works for you good on ya.

As to harder or easier. Those that start that [bleep] are just [bleep] to start with.
Semi custom 270 Win Build on a Remington 700 action, Bartlein barrel and Bansner Sheephunter stock, & Timney trigger.
My favorite deer rifles has been my Ruger No. 1-A in 7x57mm
Remington Model 7 in .308
This is mine, Montana 7/08 ceracoated by Eddie Fosnaugh[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My favorite cartridge would be the 8x57 (8mm mauser) In Mauser 98's. Been also Using 6.5x55, 7x57, 7x64, 30-06, 338 win mag over the years.

Also been enjoying my semi-custom 8mm-06.

If I had a favorite I would have to sell some twenty rifles and hunt with the one. Big fan of the 7x57 and 7-08 though. 30-06 is the last rifle I would sell so that is three to start off with.
Savage 99 re-barreled to 450 Bushmaster.
I've hunted all the major military cartridges from the world wars...all of them good including the older .45-70, .270 and .257 in commercial..so,so,good enough.
But I keep going back to the 8x57, just a nice balance of attributes...recoil, accuracy, power, meat retention, not picky about components, and comes in some beautiful easy handling rifles without mortgaging the firstborn.
Originally Posted by 8MMX57JS
My favorite cartridge would be the 8x57 (8mm mauser) In Mauser 98's. Been also Using 6.5x55, 7x57, 7x64, 30-06, 338 win mag over the years.

Also been enjoying my semi-custom 8mm-06.

Dandy bucks!
I’ve never had a 280, gonna try it this fall.
I’ve never had a 280, gonna try it this fall.

You're getting pretty close to paradise.. I ran across a couple BGR 280's yesterday and I gotta say, they were dang nice.
Theres no dust on a 280. Mine doesn't get out as much as it should. Try it you'll love it
Older model Savage, solid wooden stock, chambered in .308 and with a common Bushnell 3-9x40 scope on top.
Freakin' tack driver... I will NEVER get rid of it!
I've always been fond of my sported 1903 Springfield in 30-06 for about 50 years
If I had to hazard a guess, it would be my old tang-safety Ruger 77 .270, but that was a long time ago, and the barrel got shot too hard for too long.

Now I shoot a M70 Winchester in the same .270 Winchester, a Classic SM (Synthetic Matte), restocked with a B&C stock, and topped with a Leupold Vari-XII 3-9. Pretty plain vanilla rifle, really. Never had a moment's issue out of the thing. Once I zeroed the scope, it's never moved. 130 Sierra ProHunter/59.5 H-4831SC, about as boring as it gets. It just kills stuff. No arguments, no fuss. I call it "Old Death", whatever I point it at, dies. The prior Ruger was the same way, though.
I've shot the more deer with this .270 Featherweight from 1956 than any other rifle I've ever owned. For next season I'm swapping the 4x scope for 2.5-8. I got a couple of new to me rifles this year which could easily become favorites, a Ruger No. 1 in 6.5 CM and a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts, but I've been hunting with the Model 70 since around 1995. Many other rifles have come and gone in that time. This is the only one that's stayed.

Attached picture IMG_0416 (1).jpeg
Remington 700 in 280 or 308 for Whitetail or Axis,
Weatherby in 7 Wby or Remington 700 in 300 WSM for Axis up.
Shoot that changes with the wind. The last couple weeks my newly acquired TC Hawken is the meat getter. It has batted a thousand since day one. Even survived the USPS shipping test. Box was pert near destroyed but seller had taken apart and wrapped each half twice with bubble wrap . It one of them old ones too from like 19 and 71.
Hanco: I am "tied" in choosing a "favorite" between my heavy barrel Remington 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester with Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope or my tried and true, classic, pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 270 Winchester with Leupold 3.5x10 variable scope.
I have killed a LOT of Deer, with a LARGE number of different calibers, but I seem to so often choose using one of my 270's when Deer Hunting.
Long live the 270 Winchester - 98 years old and still going strong - for a reason!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
As much as I love my 400 Whelen, I suppose if I had to choose just one it would be my KS mountain rifle in 300 H&H. I shot a lot of mule deer and whitetails with it prior to moving to Alaska. Now that we’re back in deer country it will probably see more use again as a deer rifle. It brought a few caribou to ground and went sheep and goat camping a few times.
1st may say some great pictures and great post on what hunting rifle and caliber/cartridge everyone prefered was a wonderful read on all posts. i have shot animals with smaller caliber bullets to bigger bullets but my favorite is still just a 25 caliber bullet ,as far as a rifle i still just use a single shot rifle i see no reason for a repeater for deer or antelope hunting. but i still like a fast cartridge so for the last 20 some years like i have posted before still using my old Ruger #1 Brux barrel 257 Weatherby mag. and last fall " 2022 " i used Hammer Hunter .257 bullet 103 gr. at 3680 FPS was a great combo last fall and very accurate too. but when with my young grandson hunting with me in my stand again this next fall " 2023 " and myself turning 70 i will be starting to use another single shot in another Ruger #1 257 Roberts less recoil for the both of us ,but still a accurate 25 caliber bullet. thanks for posting too, Pete53
Remington 700 in 7mm08.
.24 caliber, Remington 700.
.284 or .308
Remington 700 BDL, .277
At 17 I bought a combination deer & elk rifle in the very coo 7mm Remington Magnum caliber my hunting idol shot for almost everything. There are better elk cartridges out there but I can’t imagine a more effective deer rifle. With 150 grain NBTs or TTSX my old 1976 “200th year of American Liberty” tang safety Ruger shoots very small groups and it just drops deer small & large in their tracks from up close to way out there. It’s wearing a 6th scope this season a Zeiss V4 & I’m looking forward to trying it out this year.
Back in the 1950s I thought the 32 Winchester Special from a model 64 Win was my favorite. I now hunt with a 6.5 CM Kimber Hunter and am sticking with it.
7mm Remington magnum 140gr sst or ballistic tip.
For the first time in at least a decade, I’ve killed all of my deer with the same rifle for two consecutive seasons. I’m using my Kimber Classic Select in 257 Roberts. I’m not sold on the 100 grain Sierra GameKing, which seems a bit too fragile within a couple hundred yards or so, but no deer has gone far after being hit. Pigs are another story which I was surprised by.
The low recoil, what seems like a relatively mild report, and the looks and feel of the rifle all come together to make a rifle that’s a joy to hunt with. I’m sure I’ll end up changing things up again, but for now the 257R is king.
My elk rifle is a 338F Montana. That rifle gets the nod for the bigger stuff and also in steep terrain.
Also have a 223Rem Montana that has killed several deer and pigs. The 70 grain Speer SMP out of the 223 has been flawless on deer. I’ve got some 117 Sierra GK for the 257 that I’ll load this season. Thinking the higher SD and lower MV will address my concerns about penetration and bullet frangibility of the 257R with the 100SGK.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
For the first time in at least a decade, I’ve killed all of my deer with the same rifle for two consecutive seasons. I’m using my Kimber Classic Select in 257 Roberts. I’m not sold on the 100 grain Sierra GameKing, which seems a bit too fragile within a couple hundred yards or so, but no deer has gone far after being hit. Pigs are another story which I was surprised by.
The low recoil, what seems like a relatively mild report, and the looks and feel of the rifle all come together to make a rifle that’s a joy to hunt with. I’m sure I’ll end up changing things up again, but for now the 257R is king.

Starting next year I'll be doing most of my deer hunting with the 257 Roberts in a Kimber Montana. I made some test loads with IMR 4350 and Barnes 101 gr. LRX bullets. Waiting for decent weather to test them out. I expect it will become a favorite, time will tell.
I have not been very consistent on one rifle for deer for a few years now, bouncing all over from 45-70 to .22 cal things.... But starting to level out back to more of a consistent.... 7mm cal either 280 rem or 7mm rem mag. Tang safety ruger 77 in both calibers and as of late, a trim ruger Hawkeye in 7mm rem mag.
270 always does the job for me.
No flies on my 243 AI with 105 BTHPs.
Tikka T3x hunter stainless in 308 is my current favorite
For blacktail, my Model 7 in .358 is my hands-down favorite.

For my 3 mulies I’ve used 7 WSM and loved it.
Spent a lot of years hunting deer with a Rem mod 660 in 308 w/2 3/4x Redfirld Widefield. Son has the rifle now and I have the scope on my 30-06. Got a Win mod 70 featherweight in 6.5x55 could become #1 now but waiting on a Rem mod 700 beinging rebarreled to 260 Rem I'm planning on 129gr bullet's in that might do it. Used to switch off my 308 for a Ruger mod 77 in 7x57 now and then. Even have shot a few with a 243 and for big game I've never been real big on the 243. One I have now is a Mossberg Patriot set up with 70gr bullet's, my plinking and target practice gun and now and then coyote rifle.

Main elk rifles are a 30-06 1903 Springfield by Paul Jaeger and sharing the spotlight there is a Rem mod 700 in 6.5x06. Both just seem to drop elk where they stand.
Marlin 444P in 444 w/ 290 grain cast bullets or Tikka Veil in 308
Remington model 7 .260 for a woods gun. Remington model 700 6.5=.284 for long range gun.
I used to have favorites, first a 03 Springfield w/4x El Paso Weaver, then a 721 Rem 30-06, both with 180 grain CL’s, then Interlocks.
Now my favorites include: 257R, 25-06, 7x57, 280, 270, 300 Savage, 30-06, & 308.

I’ve hunted/shot deer with other cartridges (256 Win Mag, 22-250, 6mm, 30-30, 32 Special, 264 Win Mag, 7mm RM, 300 Win Mag, 350 Rem Mag, 375 Whelen AI and 338) and with muzzle loaders. If I have an elk tag and a deer tag I tend to use rifles with larger cartridges than when hunting with just a deer tag. The 256 Win Mag was a mistake.

This year it will be one of the 25’s: 250, 257, or 25-06. I need to take out my 7mm-08 and I believe that will be a favorite too.

A 303 SMLE, a 8x57, and a 30-40 Krag are on my to do list, but their sights limit where I’d hunt with them.

I’ve killed the most deer with the 30-06. The bullet most used would be Interlocks, but I’ve tried quite a few including cast.

The choice of cartridges varies every season any more — just because!
By far my favorite "deer rifle" is the Tikka T3 chambered in 7mm/08. Also works pretty good on just about every other game animal, excluding the big coastal grizzlies.
Been using a Ruger Mk II Stainless in 30-06 for alot of years, so long that she will always be a favorite. However in the last few she has been taking a back seat to a Kimber Montana in .308. Amazing hunting rigs.
Originally Posted by Steelruger22
Been using a Ruger Mk II Stainless in 30-06 for alot of years, so long that she will always be a favorite. However in the last few she has been taking a back seat to a Kimber Montana in .308. Amazing hunting rigs.

Why do people refer to a rifle as a she?? Asking for a friend. It’s a thing, wasnt born either. It was manufactured.

Why do people refer to a rifle as a she?? Asking for a friend. It’s a thing, wasnt born either. It was manufactured.
Whoops, gotta watch those pronouns.

DF
Originally Posted by rhanks
Remington model 7 .260 for a woods gun. Remington model 700 6.5=.284 for long range gun.
I just had a PacNor barrel put on an Interarms action in 6.5x284 & boy, it shoots. Might be my go to for long range too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image uploading site
I too like my SS Mk II '06. Bought it here on the Classifieds in a boat paddle stock for around $750, didn't like how that stock fit, sold boat paddle on eBay for $385, bought a Boyd Classic for less than half, slimmed it down, removed the cheek piece, drilled out the butt to get the weight down to around 28 oz. Tung oil/Urethane finish, Jard trigger and a glass job later, here's what you get. It would be on my short list of favorite deer rifles.

DF

.270 and the 1899 .303
This coming season I'll be hunting mainly with 3 new to me rifles, a Ruger M77 RSI in .250 Savage, a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts and a Ruger 1A in 6.5 Creedmoor. Any (or all) of them could turn out to be a favorite, but so far, it's the RSI.
Currently it's a Marlin in 35 Remington.
Originally Posted by RIO7

Cooper .243 A.I. same load for every thing, 105 Scenar,
Bloody Mary,Works for me. Rio7

Hey friend, those are some great photos from some good times hunting.
When I open safe, the rifle that hollers the loudest gets to go.
358 Winchester is a favorite of mine….Winchester model 88
Think it's gonna be a toss up between the new 260 if it get's here in time to work up a load and the 6.5x55. 6.5x55 is a Mod 70 Featherweight and the 260 being built on my old mod 700 243.
I have several I could put at the top. All would be 257 Roberts, In my simple mind it’s the perfect deer cartridge. I guess for the rifle it would be my browning blr in 257.
Originally Posted by UnderMountain
This coming season I'll be hunting mainly with 3 new to me rifles, a Ruger M77 RSI in .250 Savage, a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts and a Ruger 1A in 6.5 Creedmoor. Any (or all) of them could turn out to be a favorite, but so far, it's the RSI.

I have a 77RSI tanger in 250 and a Montana in 257 Roberts. The Ruger is a sweet little rifle, but that Montana stole my heart.
I’ve owned 3 Montanas over the years. They’ve all been great once their individual foibles were sorted out. Now I just have the Roberts. It’s a great cartridge for an ultra light rig. I’m still figuring out how to get the best out of it, but so far it’s a 3/4 MOA rifle. I think it can do better, but I’m stopping here for now.
My 260 A-bolt........pretty sure....

No Wait....my 6mm Rem Model 700.....

But I love my CZ550 270Win.....so
Been a sucker for all things 280, for years it was my 700 Classic, then 700 mountain rifle, now my go to is a semi custom 280AI i picked up here on the fire.
I think I’m going to dig out a couple 264’s, hunt with them this fall. It’s been a few years.
.284 for the win
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
.284 for the win

284 is nice, have a 99 in 284
For years I saw no need for anything other then my early 90s model 70 FW in .30-06. Would still be a fine choice except now it is a .25-06 which is what it will most likely be for the rest of my days.

It rarely gets used anymore except for antelope.

Where I do most of my buck hunting there is always a chance of elk and I prefer synthetic rifles so shoot either a paddle stock .300 WM or a Rem 700 .30 Gibbs in a KS stock.

When I am filling tags the last few days of the season with riverbottom whitetails it is kind of an "anything" goes and whatever project rifle I am most in love with at the moment gets to go on a field trip. This year it was my .400 Whelen.

I love the 6mm’s and .25’s and have killed a bunch of deer with them. If I had to pick just one though, which would be an awful thing to have to do, I would go with the .30’s.

My favorite deer rifle of all time, I think, is a NULA Model 20 in a .308.

That’s my answer as best as I can give it, it’s a really hard choice because I love rifles.
Your Whelen looks awesome. I bet it’s a hammer.
Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06. Its easy to shoot well and not picky about ammo.
when i was young a Win m94 in 30-30, boy did it kill deer. the '06 (Rem model A, B, CLD and Mountain rifle and Savage m116/brake) was good, but it just wasn't fer me. then i bought used a Savage m110 in 270, great cartridge, great shooter but the 110 was like an old brick. then i had the custom '98 FN Mauser in 7x57(Douglas barrel) and that was what i wanted. years later, the FN went to my oldest son. then there is Rem m7 (18.5 barrel) in 7-08 that i liked so much so i bought another to give to youngest son. then there was Ruger SRH (7.5" barrel) in 44 Mag that i used for few years. a Rem m760 in 308 was used and i got my first black bear (398lbs). then there was Rem m700 A and BDL and a m7 in 243 that was cursed (i don't wanna talk about it). there is a few more that i just can't remember. i ended selling the '06s, 243s, 308 and 44 Mag because i was going thru a divorce and my lawyer needed paid.

a couple of years later, when i got back on my feet, i started to build up my collection. i've hunted deer with the 22-250AI all the way thru the 45-70. JES Reboring got my 30-30 and he did 35/30-30. i have two rifles that are TC Encores in 20 Vartarg, 444 Marlin and 500 Linebaugh (every one them are 23" MGM barrels). i had the Encore in a 15, 16 1/4 and 23" MGM barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and a 27" MGM in 22-250AI, but i sold them. my grandpap gave me a 1898 Springfield Armory in 30-40 Krag (its been passed down from my great grandpap) and its my first cast boolit kill, 165gr Ranch Dog. i had the TC Venture in 25-06 but i sold it. i have three '91 Argentine Mausers in 7.65x53, '16 Spanish Mauser in 7x57, '08 Brazilian and a 24/30 Venezuelan Mauser in 7x57, a custom '16 Spanish Mauser in 6.5x55 (my youngest son now has it), a semi-custom 1944 '98 German Mauser in 8x57, Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57, Ruger #1 in 270, two '98 Springfield Armory actions, '95 Chilean Mauser action, Remington m14 in 30 Rem, two Carcano's in 6.5 and 7.35 and a Jap Type 99 in '06. oh and another '98 Springfield Armory in 30-40 Krag. although it looks good on paper, they are sporterized Mausers and Springfield Armories. i luv my guns to be wood and blued!!!

my dad passed away last year and now i have his guns in my safe. he had a TC Contender in a 14" muzzle brake in 7-30 Waters, but i got a 10" barrel in 30 and 357 Herrett. this year i'll be using the 30 Herrett with 130gr Speer HP and Rel7 for hunting deer. i just got done fire forming the 30 Herrett, next step is the loading ladder.

i like all of my gun,s but my first spot is a Win m94 in 35/30-30 with 200gr RCBS FN GC and the second is the Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57 with 275gr WFN GC.

35/30-30 sighting it in

9.3x57 with 280gr RN GC

7-30 Waters and 30 Herrett
My son has his late mother’s Remington 722 with a 308 barrel and a Pachmayr pad.

If I only had one rifle, that would be it.

I like my 243 AI for deer, and my 6.5 Fieldcraft if there’s any climbing to be done.
I answer this question in one form or another every few years.

About 20 years ago I grew fond of Savage 99s. I have a pile of them now. So, if someone knows a better handling whitetail rifle, I would like to hear it. I have sometimes missed, but never with a Savage 99.

Mine is either a Savage 99R in 308 or a Savage 99C in 284 Win. Both are death lasers on bucks. The walls in my two homes proves it.
If limited to just one for anywhere close to long range I would still pick my 700 bidl in 300 win mag. It’s a killer. Edk
Lately my pick has been a scarred up M700 Mountain in 7x57, slinging 140gr. NPTs. That combo seems to be just about perfect for PA whitetails. This coming year, my son has once again challenged us to use open sighted levers or mil-surps. Now the problem,,,, to pick one!
That 7x57 is about ideal...don't think my eyes could manage an open sighted lever, good luck!
I’m thinking my Alabama deer rifles will be a Savage 7x57, really beat up elk rifle M-700 .35 Whelen, and a vintage M-700 .308 Win. If I go to Texas, I may take a 6.5-300 Weatherby. Good luck, all!
When I open safe, the rifle that hollers the loudest gets to go.

Sorry I missed this earlier. This is seriously Quote of the Day material.

The problem with me is that the gun cabinet is too close to the bedroom and the boogers have figured out how to haunt my dreams.
Originally Posted by harves
Cooper or Sako 25-06

^^^^ This ^^^^
I like Ruger #1s.
Also like the .35 rem for a woods cartridge.
Unfortunately not factory available in that combo.
Originally Posted by hookeye
I like Ruger #1s.
Also like the .35 rem for a woods cartridge.
Unfortunately not factory available in that combo.

Always thought the .35 Rem would be the cat's ass in the RSI...
Have a few favorites. Depends on the weather, type of stand or situation i guess.
1) 260 Nula
2)7/08 Sako Accuflite 85
3) 308 Blaser R8 Pro

Few others in the rotation as well but the above 3 rifles get the most attention lately
Without a doubt it's my Ruger single shot in .303Brit!
Cat
Ruger No 1B in 30.06 or Cooper Custom Classic 25-06 or Cooper 7-08.
The 25-06 is crazy accurate with most anything I use.
.30-06 all day long.
My favorite Deer caliber is .264 Win Mag, I killed a lot of deer with it.
I have two. One is a 20" barrelled 6lb all up 358 win built off a ruger MkII which is my on the ground gun. My other favorite is a 250AI also built off a Ruger. The 250 AI is the only rifle I every went though a whole barrel on. probably have close to 8K rounds through it now. For years I felt like I was buying every 100g BT SPS sold.
I don't really have a favorite caliber. Have used a 308 more than anything but because of the rifle, a mod 660 Remington, son has it now. Have used a 243, 25-06, 6.5x55 7x57, 7mm Rem mag, 338 win Mag, 6.5x06 and few others. Thing I found out was every one of them with a properly placed bullet kills deer pretty dead. Like my 6.5x55 and recently got a Mod 700 rebarreled to 260 Remington I think I'm gonna like. Though about a 250-3000 real hard but finding components was difficult and suggestions for making brass was all over the place, gave up and went 260 without regrets. One of the thing's I did like about my 308 was fairly low recoil, I hate recoil and it only get's worse as I get older. The mod 660 the 308 was in was an old fence post that handled and shot great! Cartridge I never used was a 30-06 although one did become my elk rifle. I think the problem was the first one I had had really bad recoil. Got rid of it and never looked back.If there is a best deer cartridge I'd call it either a 25cal or 6.5 cal on the 308 case or the 250-3000! Idea is bringing down recoil in a handy rifle. Weather cooled enough the other day to try out my new 260 and really nice for me to shoot! Working on it around 129/130gr bullets. Preferably Hornady spire points! Wish Speer made a 130gr hot core, I'd try them! Don't need a 120gr bullet, have a 25-06 that works fine with a 117gr bullet!
257 roberts for caliber, and probably my browning BLR in 257.
Remington Model 7 18.5" .308 or 7-08
Originally Posted by RAS

About 20 years ago I grew fond of Savage 99s. I have a pile of them now. So, if someone knows a better handling whitetail rifle, I would like to hear it. I have sometimes missed, but never with a Savage 99.

Mine is either a Savage 99R in 308 or a Savage 99C in 284 Win. Both are death lasers on bucks. The walls in my two homes proves it.

I like them too, they feel good in your hands. I have 243, 308, 300 Savage, 358, and 284. I have one at Smith, becoming a 338 Federal. Also a 32-40 I love to shoot
Custom 25-06
Originally Posted by RAS

I like them too, they feel good in your hands. I have 243, 308, 300 Savage, 358, and 284. I have one at Smith, becoming a 338 Federal. Also a 32-40 I love to shoot
I have two 99s in the safe now, one that my brother always hunted with that I feel should still be used and an older .300 that’s never been in the woods in my lifetime (my family was Remington folks and it belonged to a friend of my grandfather who passed).
I prefer the 760/7600, but it’s hard to argue that they’re great woods guns.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by RAS

I have two 99s in the safe now, one that my brother always hunted with that I feel should still be used and an older .300 that’s never been in the woods in my lifetime (my family was Remington folks and it belonged to a friend of my grandfather who passed).

I am from a Savage 99 family and my favorite is one in 450 Bushmaster. It's not 100% done yet, but it is the ticket for South Texas brush.

Attached picture 99 450 1x6 Swaro.jpg
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RAS

I am from a Savage 99 family and my favorite is one in 450 Bushmaster. It's not 100% done yet, but it is the ticket for South Texas brush.
Now you have my attention.
What did you use for a donor?
Have a few , but probably my 1957 Winchester featherweight in 270 , with Leupold 3x9 compact.
Winchester FW in .243, .270 or .308
This year, my favorite caliber for WI deer hunting will be 30 cal. It'll be a 150gr Hornady Interlock from a 300 Savage case delivered by my Remington 722. For my AZ Coues hunt, it will be 7mm, .284" in the form of a 7mm PRC delivered by a Fierce CT Rage.
30-06
Originally Posted by RAS
So, if someone knows a better handling whitetail rifle, I would like to hear it.

Remington 760 in 270/308/30-06 cut to 20" topped with a good quality low powered scope. smile
I have definitely used the ole 12 gauge to take a majority of white tails. A Winchester 1300. On occasion I am offered a shot too far for it, for that I also carry a lone eagle chambered in 30.06. Single shot pistol with a fixed 4 power Leopold. It is accurate.
.30-30 Ackley Improved in a Contender, 14" barrel..
Remington 700 Classic 280 Rem.

NYH1.
I wish I could pick a favorite but I like to use different rifles on different hunts. I did most of my early hunting with a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 30-06. I shot my biggest mule deer buck with that rifle. Eventually it got a new Pendleton stock and a Benchmark barrel and now I'm more likely to use it for elk. Last year I shot a good muley with my wife's 7mm08.

In recent years I've often used a 6.5 Creedmoor, .280 Rem or 7mm Rem Mag depending on the situation. They all work well. Mostly I've used Accubonds and occasionally Ballistic Tips. I'm starting to use more TTSX and LRX's now. I enjoy using a variety of rifles and also different loads in the various cartridges.

Tikka 595 7-08 with factory 140 Fusions. Couldnt duplicate the accuracy of that load with handloads so I stopped trying. A true sub MOA combo that has accounted for a literal pile of whitetails over the years!
Tikka T3 or T/C Encore…both in .260 REM.
Originally Posted by Saustin3
My favorite Deer caliber is .264 Win Mag, I killed a lot of deer with it.

I have two Sako 264’s, great deer caliber. I’m gonna hunt mine this year.
Win. Pre 64 M70 FWT custom in .270 Winny
My all-time favorite was a tang safety Ruger 77 in .270 Winchester, but I shot the barrel out on it and stupidly didn't rebarrel, but I replaced it with a M70 .270. I much favored the old Ruger, but I can't fault how this Winchester shoots. The Ruger just fit me better. I loved the tang safety, it's handier to me, than the 3 position Winchester safety.

No matter anyway, the deer don't care what I shoot them with.
My lucky rifle is a Ruger Tanger in .308. My best shooter is a Sako 75 in 7mm/08.
In the Thunb of Michigan where I hunt deer you must use either a Shotgun or a Straight Walled Rifle cartridge. I bought a Ruger American in .450 Bushmaster and it’s a tack driver. It shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 yards and drips deer in their tracks.
So far mine has been the Remington LSS limited .280 Remington my parents bought me a couple of years after graduating in 05. I have a hard time not grabbing that gun every time I go.

Backup is a Winchester model 70 classic supergrade .270 Winchester (mid 90’s CRF model) absolutely clean and beautiful and shoots like no one’s business after some tuning. Have some 130 grn Hornady hand loads that print cloverleafs on paper with this one.
.260rem or 140gr NP
7mm-08rem 140gr NP
25-06 115gr NP
My favorite was my is 300 rum, but I have killed more deer with the 243
25-06
Model 94 30-30 from the time I was 12 years old until I could afford something better,,,which was about twenty years later. I still like the feel of carrying a 94 though.
My shoulder gets sore just thinking of a BLR .358
Originally Posted by Krw708
My .358 Win pre-64 is actually a very pleasant shooter.

Not sure about a BLR stock for a .358 Win. Only one I had was a .223.

DF
Model 94 30-30 from the time I was 12 years old until I could afford something better,,,which was about twenty years later. I still like the feel of carrying a 94 though.
So do I
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My .358 Win pre-64 is actually a very pleasant shooter.

Not sure about a BLR stock for a .358 Win. Only one I had was a .223.

DF

My BLR ain't bad at all with 200's at 2650 and 225's around 2450-2500.
I like the Shock Hammer 178 gr. out of my .358 Win. You can push it faster than 200's or 225's and its terminal performance is spectacular. Not cheap, but worth it.

Exit wound, W.T. chest. Note six satellite wounds around the core exit. They frag. And, they're very accurate.

DF

I need to try some of them from the 338 Fed or 358 one of these days. Those look like they do the trick.
I need to try some of them from the 338 Fed or 358 one of these days. Those look like they do the trick.
Some complain about the cost, but how many do we actually shoot at game. Shoot enough to sight in then go hunting.

Plink with cheap stuff. Those are CNC made; that equipment and high quality metal, not cheap.

https://hammerbullets.com/product/358-cal-178gr-shock-hammer/

I sent that picture to Hammer, got a nice email from Steve Davis, pointing out the satellite exits. He knew what he was looking at.

Weatherby thinks a lot of Hammer bullets, will start using them in loaded factory ammo.

Here's an interview, Adam Weatherby with the Hammer owners.

DF

I agree DF. I have shot a decent amount, but haven't hunted them yet. They have been very accurate with minimal work.

I'll get to them eventually.

The price isn't really a big deal at all. I mean if I shoot one of my main hunting guns 100x a year, that's alot.

I have a buddy using the 169 Hammer Hunter in a Mashburn and man, he keeps sending amazing groups, both close and far. Hard to argue those kinda results.
I've took the 708 plunge after about 25 years of shooting a 270. Been loving the change. Got 3, an older micro medallion, just picked up a bergara ridge in it, but mainly I've been using my ss/syn model 7.
Originally Posted by killerv
I've took the 708 plunge after about 25 years of shooting a 270. Been loving the change. Got 3, an older micro medallion, just picked up a bergara ridge in it, but mainly I've been using my ss/syn model 7.
Man, you sound like a convert, getting away from that terrible, "gay" round, having now seen the light....

Ha!. We won't talk about the many critters have been killed by the old .270, 'cause it's no longer "cool".... shocked

But, you'll enjoy the 7-08; I sure like mine. But, I only have one... It's special, built by Bobby Hart with a Hart barrel. I put it in a Hunter's Edge, use BG powder. I like the 140 Sierra HPBT for it's accuracy and how well it kills WT's. My second fav is the 120 NBT. May get around to trying Hammer bullets, just haven't gone there, yet.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by killerv
Man, you sound like a convert, getting away from that terrible, "gay" round, having now seen the light....

Ha!. We won't talk about the many critters have been killed by the old .270, 'cause it's no longer "cool".... shocked

But, you'll enjoy the 7-08; I sure like mine. But, I only have one... It's special, built by Bobby Hart with a Hart barrel, Timney trigger. I put it in a Hunter's Edge, use BG powder. I like the 140 Sierra HPBT for it's accuracy and how well it kills WT's. My second fav is the 120 NBT. May get around to trying Hammer bullets, just haven't gone there, yet.

DF
I used a 6mm 700 bdl from about age 14- age 30 ish and killed several deer with it. Then used a 700 cdl sf 264 for 4 or 5 and liked it. Last year it was a 223 with a 60g partition. A 6mm Creedmoor with a 108 eld before that and then had a good run with a 300 wsm for 6 or 7 years mostly 215 hybrids.

I shot a few with 260s and 6.5 Creedmoor or various 7mms like wsm, 7-08, or even 7 rem mag. Looking back over it all the 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor kills were very quick with great performance and just easy.

I guess if I had to pick a favorite today I'd lean towards a 6.5 creedmoor. Just seems about right unless I was in a good trophy area with long shots likely. Then I might lean towards my 7 prc or one if my 7 wsms.

I just bought another 6.5 Creedmoor today. The barrels a bit longer than I'd prefer but it's pretty easy to switch it to a shorter one and I could sell the longer one. I'll see how it shoots first.

Bb
30-30
At the present time a Model 70FWT. in 6.5x55 and 140 Hornady interlocks.

Subject to change at any second though laugh.

Wife and son bought me a Model 70 Classic Sporter (new unfired with box) in 30-06 with a Leup 3x9x50 on it. Took it to the range and shot three groups with it after getting the scope dialed in. That took 3 shots. Next I shot 3 groups @ 100 yds. with Rem. 165 gr. extended range ammo from the 1990's. The green and gold box. Largest of the three groups was .560. That dog will hunt! I'll definitely carry it this season.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RAS

Now you have my attention.
What did you use for a donor?

Who built it?
© 24hourcampfire