Home
No draw/limited entry tags, no high fence bucks, general tags. Pics appreciated. ๐Ÿ‘
Tags are a foreign thing to me. Never hunted out of state.

In MS you have bag limits. 3 bucks. 10 does ( i think)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Killed this one, this past season.
Good buck for me. I usually just shoot does. Cant eat the horns.
Damn nice diesel burner!! ๐Ÿ‘

Outta all the states I apply for, Iโ€™ve drawn (1) buck permit/tag, and itโ€™s my best muley.

Leupold/weatherby/Hornady spire pointโ€ฆ. Gasp!!! Haha
I have drawn just one mule deer tag-in Idaho-the one year that I didn't put in for sheep there. Shot a mid sized buck.

Every other buck that I have shot (and every Rocky Mountain bull as well) has been on a general or unlimited tag, and that includes several that I consider "good". I normally put in for mule deer tags in 4-5 states every year....I used to put in for more states but decided that the general tags were good enough so now I just apply for a few certain tags in states near home and NM. I am getting out of the points game for states that I am not too invested in.
Haha for sure Ted. Iโ€™ve applied in Idaho for 22 ish years, elk bucks and antelope, and several bear , havenโ€™t drawn a god damn thing. Got this year pretty planned out, so ill only apply for the very best. Every year before, just good tags.. no love
Originally Posted by Judman

Outta all the states I apply for, Iโ€™ve drawn (1) buck permit/tag, and itโ€™s my best muley.

Nice!!!

Not bad Jud, not bad.

But I happened to have shot a reeeeally good buck on a general tag in MT this year. No big deal

Itโ€™s hard to tell just how good he is in this first picture:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now I know what youโ€™re thinking; โ€œinside the ears, nice.โ€ And how!? But in these next two, you can really see how good he is lol

Here he is as bulgogi

And tossed in with some homemade ramen for good measure

Yep. As you can see, Iโ€™m pretty much an expert at deer hunting (hoists up pants in triumph) wink

So when you see me popping off about deer hunting, yโ€™all better point your ears
Haha for sure buddy!! I got a buncha dinks in the shop!! All made great cannin fare, steaks, pepperoni, sausage etc. I appreciate the fact you get er done and enjoy the table fare. Your big smile is noted as well. Your one of the gooduns. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Haha for sure buddy!! I got a buncha dinks in the shop!! All made great cannin fare, steaks, pepperoni, sausage etc. I appreciate the fact you get er done and enjoy the table fare. Your big smile is noted as well. Your one of the gooduns. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Haha

Great buck btw!
Same pics I have posted before...but what the hell....I am bored and I'd have to dig into my 35mms to get pics of my better whitetails as I haven't hunted them much since college.

All general season pubic land, and all solo DIY.

These are a bit younger age class than I would likely shoot these days.

I love you and your pics Ted, you keep interfering though. Shouldn't expect the folks I want to answer, cause they can't. ๐Ÿ˜

Still could be a fun thread though.๐Ÿ‘
I knew what you were getting at, and who you were targeting....but I like to wreck threads.

You should know that by now.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I knew what you were getting at, and who you were targeting....but I like to wreck threads.

You should know that by now.

๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜‚
Hopefully this works...

All Washington bucks, all public land.

Hell yeah!

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Not sure what bulgogi isโ€ฆ

But it looks tasty.
Most of my Idaho muley bucks have been on OTC tags. This 1st one was 2 years ago. He was the biggest forky I've ever shot.

This one wasn't wide but it had good height.
thanks for posting these great pictures ! some very nice bucks ,Pete53
Killed this buck this year

Couple years ago

I love you and your pics Ted, you keep interfering though. Shouldn't expect the folks I want to answer, cause they can't. ๐Ÿ˜

That was a great muley you posted, Judman. I was going to post up some pictures, but I realize that there is some trickery involved here. You are targeting an individual or individuals and Inman knows who it is. I guess I will just remain in the dark.
Last 3 years, all roundball kills on 0 point draws.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
If we are talking mule deer I guess I only have older pics to share since all Oregon mule deer are now draw hunts but not in the old days. Anyway, fun thread and heck of a buck Jud. Always fun to see nice muley bucks!
Originally Posted by roundoak

That was a great muley you posted, Judman. I was going to post up some pictures, but I realize that there is some trickery involved here. You are targeting an individual or individuals and Inman knows who it is. I guess I will just remain in the dark.

laugh

Same. All of our tags in WI and MN are OTC/general.
Originally Posted by huntinaz

Not bad Jud, not bad.

But I happened to have shot a reeeeally good buck on a general tag in MT this year. No big deal

Itโ€™s hard to tell just how good he is in this first picture:

Now I know what youโ€™re thinking; โ€œinside the ears, nice.โ€ And how!? But in these next two, you can really see how good he is lol

Here he is as bulgogi

And tossed in with some homemade ramen for good measure

Yep. As you can see, Iโ€™m pretty much an expert at deer hunting (hoists up pants in triumph) wink

So when you see me popping off about deer hunting, yโ€™all better point your ears

Ha, ha, same same !!

Great Mulie Jud !

We love to eat 'em, so to score a big guy, I've either got to have a freezer ful & be patient, or the big guy has to walk in, before the tasty one !

All local tags here.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/egMXT6D.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/zL5trZM.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/o8YzRdS.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/I3Le9Z4.jpg[/img]

That said, I know, you 2 clowns know, that we have killed some pretty good deer !

grin
Ah, forgot about the pics you guys posted.

Reposted the last 4 links;

I'm actually excited to hunt deer out of state this year. It'll be my first time ever not chasing them in Wa only.
My best headgear;

Heaviest/biggest;

Deb's best, old guy on the decline;

All get processed at home, for future enjoyment;

I did cut this track, 3 years ago & had an all to brief encounter. He was a truly, majestic giant !

We'll never know, if I would have pulled the trigger ?

Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Ah, forgot about the pics you guys posted.

Reposted the last 4 links;

cooked perfectly!
No hunting zoos, no center fire rifles, no special trips or hired guide, no electronic guides out there watching around the clock, no heated shoot houses, no bait piles or spot lights, no manipulated regulations to pile up the population or multiply big racks. No dogs or group deer drives. No park hunts, special tags, city hunts or depredation tags. No lasers, heat scopes or hearing aids. Nothing out of state or special fees. Actually not even out of the county I lived in at the time. No training videos or "Daddy Mentors". No hunt buddies letting me hunt their spot or sit in their spot. No leasing a deer hunt paradise. No clubs, clans or cliques. No kissing up or going along to get along. No blocks, feeders, food plots, or hormones. No hunting land purchases or trying to "keep 'em on my property". Just hunting, just walking out my own door where ever I lived and hunting the nearest ground with deer on it available.

Attached picture Deer mount2a.jpg
Attached picture Deer hawken rifle.jpg
Attached picture Deer shotgun b.jpg
Great pics.๐Ÿ‘
No draw/limited entry tags, no high fence bucks, general tags. Pics appreciated. ๐Ÿ‘

I've killed 40 or so bucks in my life. 5 were on late muzzleloader tags, the rest were all general season. All blacktails. I wouldn't say any were crazy spectacular but there has been decent selection of very solid, representative 4x4s among them.

Tom
Tom just applied for a late musket hunt down your way. Hopin for a booner Blacktail, should be a shoe in unless alotta high point holders decide they want one too. ๐Ÿ‘
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]bank of america my location

Michigan buck, 20ga Browning BPS
My first good deer on an over the counter license i bought a the Coast to Coast hardware store for I think $6 back in 1983.
Montana.
[Linked Image]
Some amazing bucks you guys re posting. Our deer for the most part donโ€™t hang with some of the ones I am seeing, however, we have a lot of them. Thankful we get multiple deer per license with the chance to purchase more tags.

GreggH
whoops
A few OTC Blacktails.

Damn nice whitetail collection Tom. ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿป
Hell ya kurt. Damn inflation. ๐Ÿ˜‚
All my decent whitetail bucks were taken on what you'd call a general tag, because for the most part that's the only kind we have. Either sex, with varying availability of non trophy tags. Living in Saskatchewan may have disadvantages but lack of big whitetails isn't one of them. I seldom leave my own land anymore for whitetail, can't even imagine paying money to hunt them anymore, but did go down to North Carolina once just for the experience. Tiny little things, their does are smaller than our fawns. I was surprised to see elongated hooves like a sitatunga, our host didn't know that they weren't like that everywhere.

Mule deer here is all draw, no non residents at all. My first one was 183 net, have got close since but never beat it.
Best two....Lucky vs good. laugh

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Thanks to an invite from ShortActionSmoker....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][
Damn!!!!

I did cut this track, 3 years ago & had an all to brief encounter. He was a truly, majestic giant !

battue....luck trumps skill any day, at least that's my motto. Great bucks!
Thanks!!!!

They would fit inside some of yoursโ€ฆ.and some others here๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
I guess that depends on everybody's definition of "good". And good will also very with different parts of the country. Around here I've killed more than one what I call good most within a half a mile the house and not over 2 mi from the house.
My very best ones. Maybe a dozen. All when I was younger.
6.5 year old. praying we'd cross paths for the pass 3 years. He was horny and lady luck was on my side this November. No cost Missouri land owner tag. Have pictures of him of a 3.5 year old in 2019 and pictures up to this year. Scored 150" even. Tikka LH T3X 6.5 CM, Ziess scope and gasp Sellior and Belliot 156 grain semi pointed soft nose. He isn't the biggest buck in the world, but im damn proud of him. If i never kill another i;ll die happy smile
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]betta tank mates 10 gallon
That's a beauty, Bobby !!

You saw the animal that made that track?
Originally Posted by rockchucker
6.5 year old. praying we'd cross paths for the pass 3 years. He was horny and lady luck was on my side this November. No cost Missouri land owner tag. Have pictures of him of a 3.5 year old in 2019 and pictures up to this year. Scored 150" even. Tikka LH T3X 6.5 CM, Ziess scope and gasp Sellior and Belliot 156 grain semi pointed soft nose. He isn't the biggest buck in the world, but im damn proud of him. If i never kill another i;ll die happy smile
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]betta tank mates 10 gallon

Hellava nice deer. ๐Ÿ‘
Posted before, but I enjoy showing him off. Missouri general tag. No high fence, in fact, fence is down in many places:) 199 1/8"
Phil
https://i.postimg.cc/bvZp3B1s/big-buck.jpg

Attached picture big buck.jpg
Alabama requires no tag at all. Buy a license (cheap) and hunt. Does that count?
Originally Posted by TenX
Posted before, but I enjoy showing him off. Missouri general tag. No high fence, in fact, fence is down in many places:) 199 1/8"
Phil
https://i.postimg.cc/bvZp3B1s/big-buck.jpg

Wow what a cool deer. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿป
[Linked Image]
Montana General on Public, Is he giant? No, but I'm extremely thankful for easy to draw general tags. I applied for 13 licenses last year, had I not drawn this general tag as a nonres I wouldnt have been able to hunt at all. drew blanks on all the others.

Icing on the cake. Shot it with Big Sticks Bane- .220 Swift, Leupold, Hornady Spire point.
Originally Posted by JDK

Yep, & this one & this one & so on.

Originally Posted by hendricks
[Linked Image]
Montana General on Public, Is he giant? No, but I'm extremely thankful for easy to draw general tags. I applied for 13 licenses last year, had I not drawn this general tag as a nonres I wouldnt have been able to hunt at all. drew blanks on all the others.

Icing on the cake. Shot it with Big Sticks Bane- .220 Swift, Leupold, Hornady Spire point.

Youโ€™re living on the edge I see!! ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿป
Originally Posted by JDK

How good a headgear he have Paul. Giant track
My best muley buck to date.

Big bodied muley

Another archery buck!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] No tag needed for land owners in Virginia
My last WY general season/public land buck before taking a transfer to AK. I gave up a really good thing down there. I could hunt the Wyoming Range every year. Oh well. It was good while it lasted but I have good things going on up here too.

2nd to last: Holy hell was this a beast of a pack out, in griz country.
This was a decent general season/public land buck, but made himself into a 3x3 during a 100 yard tumble.

Originally Posted by earlybrd
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] No tag needed for land owners in Virginia

Now, thats a nice, nice buck!
Originally Posted by JDK

How good a headgear he have Paul. Giant track

Biggest, tallest, widest & heaviest live buck, I've ever seen Jud !!

Face to face, at about 60 yards & he was gone !
With 7 points for deer and 16 for elk, all my non-killing has been on general tags in WA. All Colorado deer tags are through the draw, so those good bucks are disqualified.
some more very great pictures and very nice bucks ! congrats and thank you for posting ,Pete53
I've tagged 9 whitetails that scored over 150 B&C with the biggest typical being in ths low 170s.

I've tagged 19 whitetails that weighed over 200 lbs dressed, the biggest going 275 lbs., so heavy that i had to cut it in half to get it out of the woods. Funny thing is that that biggest buck is the only deer that I've shot and had go down dead in its tracks. When I shot it, it went down so quickly that I thoght that it had run off and when I tried to track it, I didn't find any blood trail. I couldn't understand it, so I went back to where I fired the shot and walked straight to where I thought that the buck was standing when i fired. The buck was right there on the ground, like it had just tipped over. Couldn't explain it then, can't explain it now, never seen anything like it before or since.
Three general season public land bucks of mine and one my daughter shot. Judman, you're familiar with the place, maybe.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A rare one, given where he was taken. MT Gallatin National forest.
[Linked Image]
Hell ya kurt, all hammers, always liked that 3rd buck, just a ancient Ol pig. Big Ol head, salamander neck, hell ya. ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿป
Killed my 2nd largest whitetail on public land. Rugged steep place in the Ozarks. No fun dragging him uphill to the road.
I wouldn't say that I've killed a good one but, have killed a 135" 9 point, a 126" 8 point and a few others nearly that good.
Nicest deer for me to date & taken on public land. w 1 preference point.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture thumbnail_IMG_3869.jpg
Iโ€™ve not ever killed a giant but I have killed what I feel are some pretty good representative bucks of three species. The muleys were draw tags but Sitka Blacktails and whitetails were all just general season. I havenโ€™t even bought a deer tag in Oklahoma for over 25 years, lifetime license holders donโ€™t need a tag.
Nice bucks
all the bucks in my avatar were general tags opening day public land montana bucks
There are some really fantastic bucks in these pictures, congratulations to you all. No picture but I took a nice Muley Buck out of the Lost River Range in Idaho many, years ago. He was not heavy horned but with 6 points on one side and 5 on the other and a 31 inch outside to outside spread he looks pretty impressive. Have seen a couple that would match him in Wyoming during elk hunts. I don't hunt deer (other than close to home) anymore as a primary species, just elk.
This was one good season at home back in 2004. Bucks shot by 4 hunters, my 2 sons and brother and me. We have shot many more nice bucks since then, but this season stands out. We usually concentrate on elk at our bush camp, but whitetails are a nice bonus.

Attached picture Bucks of 04.jpg
Where you hunt determines what is a "good buck". This 8 point is my personal best and was likely the alpha buck for his territory. If the rut wasn't in I probably wouldn't have even seen him.

Taken in eastern CA near the Nevada border back when they issued general hunt tags. I killed much bigger bucks back in late 1950's and early 1960's in NV, but we didn't take photos back then. Big bucks weren't all that unusual.

All our tags here are general with a lot of public land to hunt from. Granted lots of the state's bigger deer are coming from the more southern private property these days; like out of Roundoak's area, but there are some good ones on public land if a guy is willing to put the work in to get to where they have a chance to grow a little. That was the case with a big one that had 18 score-able points that I got some years back. With nothing too much else to do driving across the state to my deer hunting area, I entered a few big buck contests along the way that year. I didn't weigh in my buck until the second weekend and come to find out that I'd missed 1st place by 4 ounces for the northern third of the state's largest contest. I did feel a little bad about beating out another guy with a beautiful 12 pointer that had everything, but it was score-able 1" or more points and my basic 10 had a bunch of stickers, but not near the mass of that 12 point.
My boys first
Then he got on a roll
Been awhile but it was on a Utah General tag.

© 24hourcampfire