Home
Posted By: shaman KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
I was once called out as a "booger-eating moron" for choosing 30-06 as my favorite whitetail chambering. My fellow camper went on to expound that I must have no teeth and hunt out the door of my trailer. How he managed to divine all this from my choice in deer rifle was always beyond me. At least I am in good company here in Kentucky.

It had been a good decade since I really made a study of what folks on my neighboring ridges lobbed at the deer. Back then, 30-06 seemed to be in the lead, but 30-30 was still tops among the older generation. I also remember .243 WIN having quite the following. Those were my biggest surprises in this poll.

https://www.kentuckyhunting.net/threads/deer-rifle-poll.183585/

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

The other things that interests me is that 6.5 Creedmoor was hardly mentioned. It's been around since 2007, but it has not made much of a dent. On the other hand, 7mm-08 had a surprising representation. I have just started using it, and I love it. However, I did not know it had made its way into the hollers as much as it had.
Posted By: 700LTR Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
.308 or 300 mag
Posted By: JakeDog Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by shaman
I was once called out as a "booger-eating moron" for choosing 30-06 as my favorite whitetail chambering. My fellow camper went on to expound that I must have no teeth and hunt out the door of my trailer. How he managed to divine all this from my choice in deer rifle was always beyond me. At least I am in good company here in Kentucky.

It had been a good decade since I really made a study of what folks on my neighboring ridges lobbed at the deer. Back then, 30-06 seemed to be in the lead, but 30-30 was still tops among the older generation. I also remember .243 WIN having quite the following. Those were my biggest surprises in this poll.

https://www.kentuckyhunting.net/threads/deer-rifle-poll.183585/

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

The other things that interests me is that 6.5 Creedmoor was hardly mentioned. It's been around since 2007, but it has not made much of a dent. On the other hand, 7mm-08 had a surprising representation. I have just started using it, and I love it. However, I did not know it had made its way into the hollers as much as it had.

And?

The way the poll is worded, it's a complete guessing game. "What do you think are folks' favorite deer rifle chamberings...."

Again, it all just a guess by others.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
I've used a 6.5 Creedmoor for the past 5 years, killed 3 pretty decent bucks with it. I also pack a 243 on occasion, and this season will probably add a 308 to the mix.

One thing to consider about such a poll is that Kentucky is a very diverse state when it comes to geography. The eastern part of the state is heavily wooded, while the western part is mostly agricultural, and offers a lot of long shot opportunities. The rifle that might be ideal for one part of the state, might not be for another.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
.30-06 & .35 Whelen.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
I'm not surprised that the 30-06, 270, and 30-30 are in first second and third place. I figured the 243 and 308 would be in a tight race for fourth.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
I am surprised to see that no one has mentioned the 7mm rem mag or the 300 Win mag.
Posted By: hanco Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've used a 6.5 Creedmoor for the past 5 years, killed 3 pretty decent bucks with it. I also pack a 243 on occasion, and this season will probably add a 308 to the mix.

One thing to consider about such a poll is that Kentucky is a very diverse state when it comes to geography. The eastern part of the state is heavily wooded, while the western part is mostly agricultural, and offers a lot of long shot opportunities. The rifle that might be ideal for one part of the state, might not be for another.

Texas is the same way, lots of piney woods in the east, opens up as you go west. The 06 can be used anywhere
Posted By: rickt300 Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
My in law cousins all use either an AR(in season) or a 22 rimfire (other) all on their own property. Mostly just for meat. They really just add to the variety and don't get out of hand with it. They also have pigs and cows to eat on.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
Here I'd say .308, .30-06, .270, .243 and .30-30 are most popular with the locals but the 6.5 Creed is rapidly making inroads and will probably overtake some of those old stanbys in the near future.
Posted By: Pugs Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/12/22
Our KY deer camp usually has the following in residence over the years.

.257 Roberts
6.5x55
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/13/22
For Me ...308 Win or .300 Win
...Hb
Posted By: eric1186 Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/13/22
I used a REM 760 in 30/06 last year.
Posted By: Windknot Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/13/22
30-30 by far, but 30-06 up front now!
Posted By: shaman Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/13/22
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I am surprised to see that no one has mentioned the 7mm rem mag or the 300 Win mag.

Of the "also rans" 300 Win Mag accounted for a few. 7mm Rem Mag was no where to be seen.
Posted By: Pugs Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/14/22
Originally Posted by Pugs

.257 Roberts
6.5x55

Forgot - need to add the 7-08 though it's been a while since I carried it.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/14/22
It just cracks me up how many people use a 7 or 30 magnum to shoot deer in the south east. The largest majority don’t even shoot them well or care. Most would do well to trade for a 7-08.

Obviously this doesn’t apply to everyone. Some guys know about rifles and like to use what they like to use. I’m talking about the factory ammo guy shooting deer at 200 yards with a 300 for the knock down power….grin.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/14/22
Originally Posted by Pugs

.257 Roberts
6.5x55

I don't know one fellow who hunts with a 257Roberts and maybe only one or two that own a 6.5x55. Not that many 243s here either.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/14/22
I hunted Rolling Fork WMA with a 338-06 last season - but not on purpose. Please add an asterisk for me 👍🏼😜
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/14/22
I hunt WV but not too far from KY. And we used 243 and 270 last year. This year I will take a 6.5x55 and possibly a 25 caliber of some sort. Dunno what anyone else is bringing
Posted By: SKane Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/15/22
I'll bet the farm if that poll were taken on Facebook or Instagram (instead of a circumscribed internet forum), there'd be far more mentions to the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: lc11 Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/17/22
30-06 has been and always will be King, no matter where you go in the US.
Posted By: hanco Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by lc11

Yep, like it more and more as years go by, have several, all shoot well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/17/22
The last deer I took I used my 30-06 loaded with a 170 gr. 30-30 bullet over either 40 or 41 grains of IMR4895. Velocity was around 2400 fps. I was amazed at the amount of damage done. The load was intended as a trial so I was quite impressed.

Jim
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by lc11

Even those who always have something "better" know enough to
use it as The One Others Are Compared To.

I love the too powerful and short range arguments.
They are asinine.

You don't need '06 power.
Then the poster or a buddy show pics of how much damage their
little wonder round produced? Huh?

What has ever been lost because the round carried didn't have a rainbow
trajectory?

It's all crap to allow someone to feel superior.

About like needing everyone to confirm your pickup or chainsaw
choices!😁😁😁
Posted By: hanco Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/17/22
I’ve been shooting my Garand loads in my 06’s, pleasant to shoot, kills just as well.
Posted By: lastround Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/19/22
Shaman,
A small poll of my hunting group of seven comes up with this;

270 Winchester………….1
7mm-08 Remington….3
243 Winchester………….3
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 06/19/22
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve been shooting my Garand loads in my 06’s, pleasant to shoot, kills just as well.

Same here. Well not quite, the powder charge is slighly more in the hunting rifle, but....

I have several .308s, a Garand, and an 03A3. I use IMR4895 in all of those loads, so when I developed a load for a .30-06 bolt rifle I put together, I used the same powder.

I gave up a little speed, but the accuracy is good enough that I don't know if I can duplicate it with IMR or H4350 and the additional speed I may get from it, so I went with the accuracy I had with the 4895.

At the ranges I would use this rifle, the 100 or so fps loss is irrelevant. And as you point out, the load is pleasant to shoot.
Posted By: LV_Hunter Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 07/01/22
The buck I harvested last year was shot with a 7mm Rem Mag, however the load I used was more like a 7-30 Waters.
Posted By: kyabrams66 Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 07/03/22
I've used a .308 here in central Ky for the last 25 yrs and been very satisfied. Killed a lot of deer. Terrain and cover limit long shot to only about 125-150.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 07/04/22
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I don't know one fellow who hunts with a 257Roberts.

Yes you do. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 7887mm08 Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 07/04/22
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
WOW! They are only hunting whitetail.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 07/04/22
A 6mm Remington or a .243 Winchester is all you need for whitetails IMO.
Posted By: Jwterry3 Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 07/05/22
I can tell you this yr there will be a tikka 25-06 in your woods....haha
Posted By: scratcherky Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 07/05/22
Contender 7-30 Waters Carbine.
Posted By: hanco Re: KY Deer Rifle Poll - 07/05/22
I have a 257 Bob now, gonna shoot some pigs, hopefully a deer or two this year. A sorry ass Aoudad if one comes around too. I have 100 grain partitions and TTSX to try.
© 24hourcampfire