Home
I need to paint a couple of stands, change a feeder out, sight in some rifles, practice with my bow.
Buy the license!
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Buy the license!

Forgot that. Ours expire Aug 31
I was hoping to have a couple food plots in by now, but some family responsibilities have kept me away from the property for a while. Also want to put up a couple stands and do some maintenance on some other stands.
Sight in my new rifle is top of the list, then It will be scouting. Had a really good blind location last season but I was late scouting and couldn't hide my setup the way I wanted, so this year I'll be sure to get it further away from the trail and deeper off the beaten path so to speak. I'm all public land so there's nothing worse than another hunter discovering your spot.
Get my Camper set up and Winterized
Very little... got all my clay peas plots planted and we have had an inch of rain daily for the last couple of weeks. Need to put out only three more feeder and load them all (14) up. One stand needs a wrap and one needs an hour of trimming. Will wait to put cameras out for another couple of weeks.

August 15 can't get here soon enough. Probably make sure the rifles have not shifted in the last month (lol) or so...

I'm READY...
I need to handload a mess of 30-30 cartridges and do some practice with the old Glenfield. Drew a late-season doe tag and I really want to hunt with the lever action this season. smile

I've already put the old 3x Leupold back on the Glenfield. It's good to go. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Other than that? Keep up with my hiking, and try to get my son on a muley buck during general season.

Regards, Guy
Sight in the muzzleloader, trim some lanes, wrap one stand. Keep some roads mowed and drill some fall groceries into my food plots in early September. That’s about it. Amazingly I’m currently caught up on my 350 acres with ~12 acres of food plots
Just loaded a bunch of 308 Win shells that I need to test for groups. Loaded Hornady 150 gr SP, Barnes 150 gr TTSX, 160 gr Sierra SP and 168 gr Hornsdy 168 gr GMX. I have a really good load with the 130 gr Barnes TTSX but am always looking for a better load.
Cut 56 acres that haven't been cut all year. Plant food plots and check rifle.
Buy a license. Rest is GTG

Holding off on the license till later this week to see if I pulled a bear tag - buy it all in one shot then.
Practice offhand. Most of my shots are close and fast.

Okie John
Not a whole lot, just check the box stands to make sure all the critter crap is cleaned out and the haul ropes are still good. I always wait till the weather cools down in the fall for final zero checkout on the guns.
Clean and treat my boots with SnoSeal, and load some 120 TTSXs for the 260 Rem. Other than that, I'm about ready.
maybe resharpen some Zwickey broadheads and practice some ,put out ground blind or 2 ?
Due to some family issues, there’s been a change in leadership at the hunt club. I need to find a place to hunt and the desire to do it, as I no longer wish to be a part of that organization. Can’t seem to find the drive to do it this year.

Old70
I'm ready to rock, got some new Wrangler deer hunting shorts and 3 bottles of Sawyer Permethrin spray.

September will be here for ya' know it. wink

I did buy a new Knight Ultra-Lite muzzleloader for early season which I've neither shot nor even got around to mounting a scope on. blush

But no worries, as I also bought a pair of Ruger Old Army cap 'n ball revolvers which are going to see action. cool grin
Originally Posted by Teal
Buy a license. Rest is GTG

Holding off on the license till later this week to see if I pulled a bear tag - buy it all in one shot then.

Unsuccesful on the bear tag - that's 11 years in a row. So it looks like just buy my deer tags/base license etc.
I don't sit on a stand. I don't hunt over a feeder. The toughest part is choosing which rifle and which load.
Gun ready just need to shoot off hand for the rest of the summer with my varmint rifle. The boys checked the cabin yesterday and hopefully it's still standing up near Cooperstown, NY.

Attached picture 06.png
Originally Posted by okie john
Practice offhand. Most of my shots are close and fast.

Okie John
Same here
Get a tag. CO is all draw,not many left overs
Buy corn. Shoot velvet buck on August 15th.
Have a box stand on ten foot legs that blew over that has to be replaced.
Mow some roads
Cut some lanes through brush.
Rifles are ready.
I bought a share of a hunting camp in NH in an area that I've never hunted before, so I need to do both a map and visual recon before deer season.
wait
Hanco: I am ready, willing and able.
I am also "sighted in"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Draw a tag.
Find a new place to hunt. I missed out on a club opening in Laurens county due to "other priorities" and also had another place where the lease was not renewed. Relying on invites from friends. Haven't ventured into public land here in SC but might consider that option also.
Mow my woods roads.
Shoot my bow to work the creaks and cracks outta my joints.
This year I’ve planted over a thousand cedars, 400 shrubs, removed over a thousand trees to clear two additional food plots, frost seeded 3 acres of ladino and planted one plot in forage beans and another in alfalfa. Before years end I hope to clear enough trees to frost seed 3-5 acres of switchgrass next year. I’d like a couple more stands and another camera or two. My to do list is long…
This is actually a pertinent question.

The cancer and chemo have reduced the potential options. Under the best circumstances, this would have been a busy year. I'm now officially retired. There have been all sorts of things waiting on that blessed event. However, I doubt I'll get to most of them this year.

My main goal in life is to be in my stand on the 11/12 Opener. That is still doable. However, I've got a shrinking window. My last round of chemo has been postponed. Originally, I'd planned on being done by Aug 1. That is going to slip.

First off, I've got to consider armament. I had all sorts of projects last year. I got a big buck on the Opener, and then the deer pulled a disappearing act. If I just go back and arm myself with the same choices as last year and work on no new loads, I'll be fine. I can run a few rounds through a few guns to test for function and be done.

I've also got gear considerations. The gear has not changed, but I have. I ended last year at 310 lbs. I'll start this season in no more than the 270s, and perhaps a bit lighter. That's a lot. Everything from my underwear out will need to be tested. My guess is my outermost layers are going to be baggy, but serviceable.

Normally, I'd have reduced last year's venison to nothing by now. I've hardly touched it, due to my illness keeping me from cooking. I'll have to figure out how to reduce what's in the freezer before fall. I may sidestep the whole thing and just buy a 2nd freezer.

Perhaps my biggest hurdle will be stamina. My Opening Day stand is on the back of the property. I've got a 1/2 mile trek, and I usually do that with a rifle and a duffle bag on my back. Right now, I'm gassed getting from the recliner to the bathroom and back. As soon as the oncologist cuts me loose, I've got my work cut out for me.
Originally Posted by shaman
This is actually a pertinent question.

The cancer and chemo have reduced the potential options. Under the best circumstances, this would have been a busy year. I'm now officially retired. There have been all sorts of things waiting on that blessed event. However, I doubt I'll get to most of them this year.

My main goal in life is to be in my stand on the 11/12 Opener. That is still doable. However, I've got a shrinking window. My last round of chemo has been postponed. Originally, I'd planned on being done by Aug 1. That is going to slip.

First off, I've got to consider armament. I had all sorts of projects last year. I got a big buck on the Opener, and then the deer pulled a disappearing act. If I just go back and arm myself with the same choices as last year and work on no new loads, I'll be fine. I can run a few rounds through a few guns to test for function and be done.

I've also got gear considerations. The gear has not changed, but I have. I ended last year at 310 lbs. I'll start this season in no more than the 270s, and perhaps a bit lighter. That's a lot. Everything from my underwear out will need to be tested. My guess is my outermost layers are going to be baggy, but serviceable.

Normally, I'd have reduced last year's venison to nothing by now. I've hardly touched it, due to my illness keeping me from cooking. I'll have to figure out how to reduce what's in the freezer before fall. I may sidestep the whole thing and just buy a 2nd freezer.

Perhaps my biggest hurdle will be stamina. My Opening Day stand is on the back of the property. I've got a 1/2 mile trek, and I usually do that with a rifle and a duffle bag on my back. Right now, I'm gassed getting from the recliner to the bathroom and back. As soon as the oncologist cuts me loose, I've got my work cut out for me.

Hang in there.

Okie John
Shaman-

Sending positive energy your way.
Hang in, sir
Got a call from a friend earlier this week reminding me season opens on private land Aug 15 and I should get over to his place and get my stand up so I’m doing that tomorrow and, “Oh yeah, wear snake boots and carry a pistol, cottonmouths seem to be bad this year.” Yesterday I loaded up 100 more rounds of .41 magnums so will shoot the two Smiths I plan to use some in the next month. I would like to refine my 165 grain.308 load a little but may not. Also a little more range time with the 6.5 x 55 and .223 as well. I put in for some WMA draw hunts so waiting to hear on those. Other than that, just waiting for my starter set of tags to arrive. (Here they automatically send your starter set if you had a license the previous year. ) Hoping to also get up north and/or out to Missouri this fall. We’ll see.
Originally Posted by cra1948
“Oh yeah, wear snake boots and carry a pistol, cottonmouths seem to be bad this year.”

That'd be enough for me to pursue golf (rather than hunting) as a hobby. laugh
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Shaman-

Sending positive energy your way.
Hang in, sir

+1
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
This year I’ve planted over a thousand cedars, 400 shrubs, removed over a thousand trees to clear two additional food plots, frost seeded 3 acres of ladino and planted one plot in forage beans and another in alfalfa. Before years end I hope to clear enough trees to frost seed 3-5 acres of switchgrass next year. I’d like a couple more stands and another camera or two. My to do list is long…

Damn, talk about putting in the work!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I almost bit off more than I can chew lol but I’m highly motivated. I started off planting trees and shrubs with a spade and quickly realized I needed a different method. A hammer drill and an auger dramatically increases productivity!
Because the property was managed only as a hardwoods tree farm, there was/is little if any thermal protection in the winter months and zero tillable acreage.
The good news is it’s Iowa and I don’t mind good honest hard work.
I need to heal from 6/24 left thumb LRTI surgery.
Finish brush hogging a few more areas. Hang 4-5 stands and trim out shooting lanes. Keep shooting the old recurve. Have an old buddy from SC joining me for our rut this year. Hoping to get him an opportunity at a good one.
shaman - go get ‘em! You are an inspiration
Retire....hopefully before hunting season thus year
Originally Posted by hanco
Buy the license!

Old folks in TX aren’t exempt? 😂😂

In MS, i think 65 and older don’t need a license.

Too early and hot to do a lot.

I’ve started bushhogging.

Spray early / mid august.

Won’t plant til Sept.

Made the mistake of planting too early before. Hot and dry. Didn’t come up.
We need to mow but have an equipment ban on our lease per the timber company until the burn ban in the county gets lifted.

Sight rifles in

Fill feeders

Fix a stand

How about buy a used 4x4 truck
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gotta get the blind up on the platform. Cut shooting lanes. Redo the food plots next month to put in fall plots
Gotta take a trip to pay the lease owner,replace the feeder timer and battery,cut some cedar,and replace the camper roof tarp.Always enjoyable in the August heat.
Buy tags, no Bear or Elk again! Crossbows good to go, tinker a bit with the 303 99 peep sight, also with the win. 7-30 waters don't like the xlt trigger much on it. Scout the other side of a road
Still some work to do on my hunting truck. Already fixed a broken frame. Have a rear end at the machine shop now being rebuilt. Fixing to order a new front drive shaft and have a few other minor things to take care of. Having a truck that's able to get a round in the swamp and Flatwoods takes a lot of work to keep it going.

I need to load my buckshot and also some for the kids and a couple other folks.

The hounds need a new set of nameplate collars.

I'm sure other stuff will come up, but that's what's on the docket for now.
Drop a deuce before I head out the door that morning.
Sight in a few rifles, practice with my bow some.
Spend some time at the range shooting the .308 & .45-70 make sure they still zeroed to my liking. Replace the floor on the ground blind platform. Do some branch trimming around the 2 ladder stands in the woods. Will also sand rust spots on the 2 ladder stands & Tripod and touch up with paint.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Buy the license!

65 and over Texas residents buy a
senior low cost license for $7.00
I'm guessing to cover administrative
costs for the license and tags etc.
Originally Posted by wildone
Drop a deuce before I head out the door that morning.

Look what the cat dragged in! How are ya, man?
Been eying a spot on a ridge my entire hunting life for the ultimate spot for a stand only problem was I didn’t own it and was forbidden 2 weeks ago that changed I own it now
Hangin in there brother hanging in there. Hope you’re doing well also.
find a place to hunt
spend more time with my 10 year old grandson at my gun range so he is ready for deer season again , that is my most important project with him for me.
License, check

Select rifle, Check

Select load. Have a couple back up loads though Id really like to get a Monolithic dialed in for this years task.

90 grain All copper or 90 gr CX? Oh yea the 90 gr CX seems slow to market. Seems like an easy choice between those two..
I might buy a license this time.
Youth gun season comes in TODAY.... May go check some cards and see if there is anything to get overly excited about. Usually don't see the big boys show up until the third week of September.
I still have a Marlin 1894SS that needs sighted in. It has been sitting in the safe or three months since I bought it.
I also bought a Winchester Model 71 Deluxe last month and I recently loaded some trial loads for it so that needs some range time as well.
We finally got a bit of a break from the heat but I still have a bathroom remodel to finish
And I should get motivated and put my Marlin 336ER up for sale....
too many deer rifles.
Originally Posted by pete53
spend more time with my 10 year old grandson at my gun range so he is ready for deer season again , that is my most important project with him for me.

Me too. But it is my 10 year old granddaughter.

I'm a little behind the eight ball. I have covid and still testing positive. Hopefully can get to the lease pretty soon and set up one more stand and feeder.
Help my nephew tie this one up.

He is getting quite a few pics of a couple dandies.

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Help my nephew tie this one up.

He is getting quite a few pics of a couple dandies.

Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Buy the license!

Too early and hot to do a lot.

I’ve started bushhogging.

Spray early / mid august.

Won’t plant til Sept.

Made the mistake of planting too early before. Hot and dry. Didn’t come up.

We get a reduced rate on our license. 7.00 for hunting license
Land owner exempt here
Run one down the tube and see where it hits...
© 24hourcampfire