Home
Posted By: TheKid In the beginning - 10/15/22
Had an awesome sit with my son this evening for the 3 day youth rifle season.

Last year he begged me to go during our late antlerless season so he could shoot a deer like mom and dad. We got him licensed up and went to sit on a friend’s wheat field where a couple dozen does were coming out each evening. Wouldn’t you know it, we had two really nice bucks come by at under 50 yards but no does. A big mob of pigs showed up and I told him he could practice on them. Well at 20 yards he froze up, mega buck fever, couldn’t calm down enough to shoot one of the 30 or so pigs we had at spitting distance. He got kinda discouraged and decided he might wait until next year.

Next year is here and he’s been champing at the bit for “kid’s season” as he calls it. We’ve been shooting and talking about shot placement a lot for the last few weeks and I was pretty confident he might be able to make it happen this time.

So 5:15 found us sitting in the weeds on the edge of a plowed wheat field, since it’s been too dry for anyone to sow anything. But there is some crab grass and a little bit of volunteer coming up with last weekend’s rain and I’ve been seeing deer every evening out there.

At 6:30 or so 5 little bucks eased out of the creek and started to graze about 100 yards outside our rather short effective range. We watched them for a while until a big bobcat came out of the creek and began stalking them. Without any cover in the plowed field he wasn’t able to succeed in doing anything but spooking them and running them off. So we sat and watched and whispered about how we have to be patient when we’re hunting.

At 7:15 we’d had a bellyful of being patient, still, and quiet and we agreed it was probably time to check it in even though we had 15 minutes of legal time left. As I slowly turned before standing up I see a familiar shape in the field behind us, deer! I have to completely resituate the folding stool he uses for a rest, the rifle, the boy, and myself as quickly and quietly as possible but I managed to pull it off just before they fed out into the open.

They feed their way out and one is up on a terrace at about 80 yards and the other is probably 50. I talk him through it and he gets lined up on the closer one. “When she stops put it right in the crease and squeeeeze”. POW! And I see dirt fly as he shoots over her, dang. She turns inside out and nearly runs over us, seeing us and veering off into the brush at 8 feet.

But wait, the other one is standing up there looking nervous and confused. “I’m on it dad”, he tells me. Further than I wanted him to shoot but he swears he’s steady so I tell him to let er rip and remember to squeeze. Blap, and I hear the hard WHOP!, as it lands. And she completely melts, down and done right there.

And so it begins, another deer hunter is born. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: skeen Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Congrats to the young deer hunter, and Dad too! smile
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Now we're talking. 👍👍
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
S L A Y E R!!!!
Posted By: LBP Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Awesome job, congratulations!
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Congrats all around!

That's what it's all about!
Posted By: frogman43 Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Congratulations!
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Well done!!!
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Well done indeed!
Posted By: TheKid Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
And for the rifle guys he was using my 18” 223 AR with the stock collapsed all the way down. 77 TMK over 25gr of Lever. I will say the illuminated reticle in the Leupold 1.25-4 and the suppressor make it easy for kids. Put the red dot where it goes and no ringing ears.

He was a shade high but the TMK did what they do and broke three ribs going in, pulverized a vertebrae to dust, and two ribs on the other side before it stopped under the hide. I haven’t weighed it but I’d guess 40-50 percent retention.

He is still keyed up this morning, can’t wait to go have coffee with his Great Grandad so he can tell him the story.
Posted By: SKane Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Hellz yeah!!!! Great photo too.
Posted By: BrowningGuy88 Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
That’s awesome! I had my son out for the first time this week. That’s a whole other level of added fun when you get to take your kid!
Posted By: Springcove Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Absolutely outstanding! Congratulations to you both
Posted By: JGRaider Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Always love the pics of you and your son. Congrats again to you guys.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Good job dad. When you are gone, I'll bet his first deer with dad is one of his best memories. The smile gave it away.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
TheKid’s kid is on the board! Nice job, and congrats to you and him! Awesome stuff!

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: lastround Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
My son hunted in the stand with me in 1980, his first time out. We saw several does, but Kentucky was “buck only”. We didn’t get to hunt in 1981 due to my job requirements, but went again in 1982. He shot his first buck that year from his own stand with me seated a short distance away. He’s been racking them up ever since. I’m sure he will remember those hunts for as long as he lives, I know I will!
Posted By: 44mc Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
congrats to you & the little man, it has been a hoot to watch him grow up on here. keep up the good dad work
Posted By: roundoak Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
It is always great to see our youth in the field and successful. Congrats.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Congratulations to both of you. 👍

Nice write up too.
Posted By: Deans Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Congratulations. A day both of you will remember.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Proud son, prouder Dad!!! Great to see the kids getting out.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Originally Posted by TheKid
And for the rifle guys he was using my 18” 223 AR with the stock collapsed all the way down. 77 TMK over 25gr of Lever. I will say the illuminated reticle in the Leupold 1.25-4 and the suppressor make it easy for kids. Put the red dot where it goes and no ringing ears.

He was a shade high but the TMK did what they do and broke three ribs going in, pulverized a vertebrae to dust, and two ribs on the other side before it stopped under the hide. I haven’t weighed it but I’d guess 40-50 percent retention.

He is still keyed up this morning, can’t wait to go have coffee with his Great Grandad so he can tell him the story.
Even better. Remember getting to tell a great grandpa about my 1st bow kill.

Luckily I knew all but 1 of my great grandparents.
Posted By: Judman Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Always love the pics of you and your son. Congrats again to you guys.

Hell ya👊🏻
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Kool, congrats!!
Posted By: MagMarc Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Great stuff, congratulations!
Posted By: TexasShooter Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
What a great story and pic!! Thanks for posting!

Congratulations to you and your son. I love seeing the next generation getting into our sport!

T.S.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Congrats to the shooter and to Dad... love these stories.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: In the beginning - 10/15/22
Good job
Posted By: saddlering Re: In the beginning - 10/16/22
Congrads to the Both of you! The Kid #2 the story Begins!
Posted By: CRS Re: In the beginning - 10/16/22
grin fantastic
Posted By: kandpand Re: In the beginning - 10/16/22
Congratulations to both of you.
Posted By: pointer Re: In the beginning - 10/16/22
Very awesome!! Congrats to the young man!!

I've played the wait until...BANG game with youngsters. Super fun times!
Posted By: RCflash Re: In the beginning - 10/16/22
Wonderful story.

Been there;done that. With my own son.

Took him fishing, too. And canoe trips into the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness.
coached him to handle the first large walleye pike he caught. All i did was coach and handle the landing net.

Next best: was official OLD GUY and 'technical adviser' with my son and my grandson as they fished the Big Horn River in Montana. Watched my grandson fish quite skillfully.... for a 1st grader.

And was there to see grandkid catch his first muskie in Wisconsin. [as a 3rd grader ]

its all about the memories.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: In the beginning - 10/16/22
AWESOME!
Posted By: TheKid Re: In the beginning - 10/16/22
Dude showing us where he hit. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Some 77TMK results after the backstraps came off.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Recovered bullet. I was a little surprised to find it honestly as I’ve had them exit on some big stuff in the past, but the one vertebrae was pretty much gone along with 5 ribs so I suppose that’s pretty rough on most any bullet. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: baldhunter Re: In the beginning - 10/16/22
Awesome!!! Congrats to the young hunter and guide. It's a very rewarding event to take a young hunter out to kill their first deer.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: In the beginning - 10/16/22
Congrats. The first deer only happens once.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: In the beginning - 10/17/22
TheKid;
Good evening to you sir, I'm going to go out on a limb here and believe you're all doing well tonight!

Please send along hearty congratulations to your son on that wonderful tasty looking deer. It's so good to see the next shift getting out and being successful.

You sir get a tip of the battered Bailey as well, kudos for the time and effort spent, as we all know these hunts do not happen without them.

Thanks so much for sharing the family hunt with us.

All the best to you all and good luck on your remaining hunts.

Dwayne
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: In the beginning - 10/17/22
Well done Mate !!

Kid's, kid's smile is bombdiggity !
Posted By: Raeford Re: In the beginning - 10/17/22
Congrats to son!
Congrats to mom & dad for bringing another into the fold!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: In the beginning - 10/17/22
That is great!
Posted By: Scotty Re: In the beginning - 10/20/22
Congratulations to your son.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: In the beginning - 10/20/22
I just smiled when I saw the picture. Congrats!
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: In the beginning - 10/20/22
Great story. Congrats to the lad
Posted By: diamondjim Re: In the beginning - 10/20/22
Congrats all around. Very cool.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: In the beginning - 10/20/22
Very cool! Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: In the beginning - 10/20/22
Congratulations to both of you.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: In the beginning - 10/21/22
awesome, absolutely awesome
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: In the beginning - 10/21/22
Congratulations to both of you !
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: In the beginning - 10/21/22
That's good livivng!
Congratulations to The Kid and his kid!
Posted By: ingwe Re: In the beginning - 10/21/22
When that meat hits the table, let him know that he was the provider....

and one large step closer to being a man.

Good on you both!
Posted By: jc189 Re: In the beginning - 10/21/22
Congrats to the both of you. Awesome story and pic's. Love to see the little ones getting it done. I can't wait till next weekend. I get to take the grandkids on their first deer hunt. Its youth weekend. Hopefully we will be able to get an opportunity for them to get a shot.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: In the beginning - 10/21/22
Way to go, that's what it's all about.
Posted By: Bull64 Re: In the beginning - 10/24/22
Good stuff right there!
Posted By: JPro Re: In the beginning - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by ingwe
When that meat hits the table, let him know that he was the provider....

and one large step closer to being a man.

Good on you both!

Great idea there. When my kids were little, they always wanted to know if the game meat was the deer we killed together, or maybe even one of "their" deer. Taking the young ones to shoot any big game is so much more fun than killing a big buck by yourself! Glad to see the success!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: In the beginning - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by TheKid
Dude showing us where he hit. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Some 77TMK results after the backstraps came off.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Recovered bullet. I was a little surprised to find it honestly as I’ve had them exit on some big stuff in the past, but the one vertebrae was pretty much gone along with 5 ribs so I suppose that’s pretty rough on most any bullet. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Great pics, a picture sometimes is worth 10,000 words the top one is one of them. It tells a whole book on your values and superior parenting skills. Another thing pops out in the pic details your kid is 7 not real big other than his grin, you adjusted the collapsible stock to fit him. Great 18" barrel and 8" can 26" minimum barrel length and 7 years old. I bet he didn't whine even once that it's to long, more than you can say about 1/3 or more of the fire members.lol. good job from the son and dad...mb
© 24hourcampfire