Home
Posted By: rickt300 Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/23/22
Picked up one a few weeks ago, pretty nice Marlin. Hopefully will have sone good cast loads made up for it and it sighted in before the end of deer season.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/23/22
Picked a old m760 std up in 35 rem spring before last. The Winkman was a big fan and collector of 760's so his advice on it was priceless. He knew his way around the 35 too. I scored a bunch of factory ammo and dies for it also. No scope just the factory irons. Took a while to come up with a magazine for it that is smooth and dependable but it's a done deal. Yeah its ready to hunt...mb
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Picked a old m760 std up in 35 rem spring before last. The Winkman was a big fan and collector of 760's so his advice on it was priceless. He knew his way around the 35 too. I scored a bunch of factory ammo and dies for it also. No scope just the factory irons. Took a while to come up with a magazine for it that is smooth and dependable but it's a done deal. Yeah its ready to hunt...mb

Cool, I have just over three boxes of factory ammo but would like to have some empty brass. Not as easy to find as I would like.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/23/22
Count me in:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Shaw MK Vll SS, 21" barrel, 35 Rem
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/23/22
Nice Rifle.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by rickt300

Cool, I have just over three boxes of factory ammo but would like to have some empty brass. Not as easy to find as I would like.
WTB ad in classifieds. Pretty easy for me when I needed some.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/23/22
When I saw that stack of 35 r's sitting on that gunshow table it had my full attn. Part box of WW 200gr RN's ,3 boxes of 150 gr Rems and 4 boxes of 200gr RN remingtons. I told the guy to shoot me deal on all of it and he did $200. Be awhile before I need to load any but do have dies and some 180 fn speers...mb
Posted By: szihn Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/23/22
I am one.

I had a Marlin 36 years ago in 35, and I sold it and then regretted that.
I now have a Remington 141 in 35 Rem. I don't ever expect to sell this one. I have now killed several deer and 1 antelope with it. I really like the short little cartridge.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/23/22
Picked up one a few weeks ago, pretty nice Marlin. Hopefully will have sone good cast loads made up for it and it sighted in before the end of deer season.

Yes major fan. Not using stockpile of jacketed bullets I have after playing with rcbs 200 gr. fpgc. Almost too easy too get them to shoot well. I run mine with Williams peep and a .070 "partridge" front sight.
Posted By: JDK Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/24/22
Have two Marlin levers. One will be going with me Saturday. Always on the lookout for an affordable pump.
Posted By: micky Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by kandpand
Count me in:

Can we get some details on that rifle please? That looks like a really good combo.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/24/22
Bought an early 50s waffle top with a Lyman sidemounted peep in 35Rem. It will see.action this fall. I'd like to have the original wood copied into a new.stock one day. What a wonderful woods gun.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/24/22
Count me in:

I always like seeing that very cool little rifle.

I only have one 35 Rem. It's an older 336 my Dad hunted with the entire time I was growing up. I saw him kill a lot of deer with it. My sister, brother, and I put a rifle together for him as a birthday present several years back and after using it he decided to sell the 35 Rem. He asked me to sell it for him.....so I sold it to myself.
Count me in:

That's sharp.
Posted By: JackVliet Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/24/22
One of my favorites, I'd like to have a kimber classic or similar rifle chambered in 35 Remington.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by micky
Count me in:

Can we get some details on that rifle please? That looks like a really good combo.

The rifle was built by Shaw. MK Vll , stainless action and 21" barrel. Laminate stock.
I wanted a bolt action 35 Rem for a long time but could not find one at a price that I wanted. I had this rifle built about 3 years ago and it is great.

The top target is the first 3 shots from the rifle. The bottom target is the last 3 shot group. Federal blue box 200gr

Posted By: hookeye Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/24/22

Have a 35 rem marked mag that appears original to my 760 ADL. ( 1963 ).

I run it w a 243/308 mag and its fine.
I have a couple of Marlins. Had a first year 760 but sold it last year.

Iโ€™m a fan, but just always finding myself picking up another rifle when I leave the house.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
Count me in:

The rifle was built by Shaw. MK Vll , stainless action and 21" barrel. Laminate stock.
I wanted a bolt action 35 Rem for a long time but could not find one at a price that I wanted. I had this rifle built about 3 years ago and it is great.

The top target is the first 3 shots from the rifle. The bottom target is the last 3 shot group. Federal blue box 200gr

Oh I like it. I have a shouldered prefit for a tikka on order in 35 Remington. When I complete it I will be a fool fledged loony for sure.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by jeeper
Count me in:

Oh I like it. I have a shouldered prefit for a tikka on order in 35 Remington. When I complete it I will be a fool fledged loony for sure.

A Tikka in 35 Rem sounds interesting. Would like to know the details and see a picture.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
Iv never owned one, came real close a couple of months ago, but bought a 99 in 300 savage, hoped the guy would still have it, at a gun show a couple of weeks ago, he tends to have about 6 tables, he was a no show, one of these days tho!
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
Mine is a 1976 Marlin 336 with a Leupold 2-7x33. I use it every year in the deer woods.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
Posted By: iskra Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
It's a great round! Moreover one that's stood well the test of time. A lot of nice newer cartridges since those 'teens' of the last century era of its birth. But a lot to me of new whoop-de-do stuff as the 35 Rem just keeps on truckin! Some great guns chambering it! Mine, a sole Stevens 425 lever, more than a few Remingtons - pumps. Model 14 from 1917 and successor model 141 from intro year 1936. Those Remingtons the Swizz watch as beautifully mand & complex/slick but moved to largely forgotten as narrow collector interest today! My Marlins, Model 336 reflecting the majority of my .35 chambered rifles. A "Rifle" from chambering intro year 1950 & "Texan Carbine"from Model intro year 1953. Both "Waffle Tops as untapped. Marlins finally surging in popularity last 2-3 decades. Finally emerged from "also ran' to Winchester 94 & 64, never offered in .35 Rem. "Sleepers", no more! The fact of their chambering in .35 a real boon.
No bolt rifles in .35! Don't even know what's out there today, but the Win Model 70 pre '64 and Rem Model 30 available. Large actions. Expensive collector guns in that chambering and bit heavy/unweildy.

Tried to post pix of each of my five above described rifles. "Overiszed images!" Condemned!

Thanks for an interesting Thread concering a great round!
Best!
John
Posted By: Dinny Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
I am a fan too. I've had a Marlin 336A and a Rem M7 but they're gone. Now all I have is a lowly Winchester Model 70 FW in 35 Rem. No, it's not original. It's a custom built gun.

This reminds me that I need to check zero and make sure it's ready for gun deer season next month.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
Count me in. Took my buck last year with a Marlin in 35Rem. This year, this one will get the chance at least some of the time.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by bbassi
Count me in. Took my buck last year with a Marlin in 35Rem. This year, this one will get the chance at least some of the time.
Have mine in 336 but one of those Remington pumps is on my short list.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
Mine is a 1961 version stamped JC Higgins. Pretty good wood. I have been too busy to shoot it much but I put a taller front sight on it and a Williams peep. I did shoot five of Hornady's gummy tips through it and one of the case necks split. I loaded the four remaining cases with 200 grain cast bullets gas checked and powder coated and fired them with satisfactory results showing me the Marbles rear sight needed a taller front. I don't care for that particular rear sight so I replaced it with the peep. As soon as I can I am going to be casting some 220 gr. and 200 gr. Cast bullets from a LEE and a MP mold for it. The first four were sized to .356 for my 350 Legend. These will be sized .359. The Grandson will shoot the Legend AR this year and I think I will carry this rifle for most of my hunting. I began hunting with a 30-30 Marlin and a few times I have fooled with 444's and an even older Marlin in 35 Remington but compared to my use of bolt rifles they hardly compare. Only hunting Oklahoma and Texas this year so the 35 Remington can cover most of it.
Posted By: SPK Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/25/22
Love my Marlin 336, but can't find ammo anywhere. Occasionally see Leverevolution rounds but not a huge fan.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/26/22
I've got a Marlin 336 that I've had for probably 30 years. It wears an old Bushnell 1.5-4x scope and always puts them an inch high at 100 yards into 1 to 1.25" groups. Never loses zero. Heck, I've even shot a couple of groups with mixed reloads of different powders and it stacks them all in the same group with 200 gr RNs. It occasionally gets the nod after I've killed my buck and I'm hunting for a doe.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/27/22
That Grice sure is nice SC ๐Ÿ™‚
Posted By: hookeye Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/27/22
I started 35 rem w a Super 16 Contender.
Then got a 760.
Am content
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/27/22
I think it's a great deer round for under 150yds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/27/22
To me that is the coolest of 35 Remingtons. I have handled a couple but never shot one.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/28/22
I suspect that the OP being from Texas that there wouldn't be a lot of folks after a Marlin .35 Remington down there. Heck even up here my own .35 Remington 141 was an impulse buy that got sold. Fiber optic sights on a shortened barrel made into an ideal still hunting, tracking rifle. Then I realized that doing that in the north woods with lots of other hunters was just getting "my" deer killed when I pushed them into other people. Now I can shoot a close deer with a rifle and cartridge that shoots far, a bolt action 7mm-08, but I can't shoot a far deer with a rifle and cartridge that shoots close, a pump 35 Remington.
I'm a fan. First one was a Marlin 336, then a Remington 141, most recent is a Marlin waffle top. Always a question of which one to hunt with.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/28/22
I could live with one of the various Remington Model Sevens from the Custom Shop in 35 Remington.

...... or one could just re-barrel a Model 600 Mohawk.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/28/22
I have an early '80s Marlin 336 that I purchased almost a year ago. Beautiful wood for sure.

Haven't shot it yet, probably do that this weekend.

Have 100 loads I rolled up for it. Varget and some 200 grain Remington Core-Lokt.

May try to use it this firearms season.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/30/22
Gotta ask what bullet weight is everyone using?..mb
Posted By: blammer Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/30/22
158gr
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/30/22
I have a Marlin 336a waffle top, and a 336SC, both in .35 Rem.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/30/22
200 almost exclusively but I know 180s and 220s will work also if you can find them.
Posted By: Railman Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/30/22
I have a Marlin 336RC made in 1958 that was my Uncles. He willed it to me and it will shoot lights out with the Hornady FTX ammo along with the Remington Core-Lokโ€™s. He took many a deer with that rifle and I used it a few years ago and took a nice 8 with it. IMO it canโ€™t be beat for woods hunting when sitting in a stand or still hunting.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/30/22

200 gr Sierra , 180 gr Speer or 200 Gr. RCBS cast.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/30/22

200 gr cup & cores.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/31/22
Anybody ever used the factory 150 gr loads from Remington? They are a pointed soft point. Mb
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 10/31/22
I downed a big wild hog that weighed about 180 pounds using my older Marlin mighty 35. One shot through the chest organs and lights out.

Sherwood
I have a few marlin levers A Remington 141 pump would love to have a model 7 in one But I do have 2 of the h&r Handi rifles in 35 remington bought them both for $200 a piece they are super accurate a little on the heavy side (scoped them both with 3.5-10x50 mm heavy duplexes I had laying around) they shoot 200 gr flex tips or round nose very well
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/02/22
Checked the iron sight zero with the 150 gr Remingtons about 7" high at 50 yds the 200 gr power point WW's were 3.5 -4" High at 50yds. With the elevator at the bottom....mb
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/03/22
Bought one in 2020. It is a late 2016 production 336. Very nice gun and shoots everything very well. Varget and 200 gr round nose of any variety is a sure thing. Another sure thing is how quick the deer drop with it. I have killed deer with 5 different bullets with it now. So far my favorite is the 200 rn Hornady and 39 grain of Varget. Velocity runs around 2090-2100 and groups well enough to make a few cry. Looking forward to trying to 180 Speer's this year. Using a large charge of 3031 they group extremely well and plenty of velocity. Curious to see how they do. Very nice round... Ive parked some high dollar guns to hunt with this 35.... Its easy to see why its been around so long..
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/03/22
Checked the iron sight zero with the 150 gr Remingtons about 7" high at 50 yds the 200 gr power point WW's were 3.5 -4" High at 50yds. With the elevator at the bottom....mb

Exactly how my rifle shot. It came with what I assumed was a Marbles rear sight and a fire sight front. It actually shot a bit higher than yours. Just finished casting some bullets, now need to PC, GC size and load some.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/03/22

Exactly how my rifle shot. It came with what I assumed was a Marbles rear sight and a fire sight front. It actually shot a bit higher than yours. Just finished casting some bullets, now need to PC, GC size and load some.

What mold you casting ?
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/04/22
Jeepers not casting yet for it, all factory rem and ww ammo. Went to Jack First today with my dial caliper in hand. Bought a taller frt sight will install yet to nite and post results....mb
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/04/22
There was a nice Remington 600 in 35 Remington popped up for sale on line last night here in Canada. Pad has been added but rest of the rifle is VG. $2500 ($1850 US) with scope.

A bit spendy, but a nice rare rifle.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/05/22
The frt sight in my 760 was only .22" tall and with the elevator bottomed out 200 gr rn's were hitting 4" high at 50yds, so I bought a taller one at . 285". Installed it. Back to the bench. 1 shot to get the windage on 3 shots with elevator adj.now dead on at 150 , 2.5 high at 100 and 2" high at 50 good to go.. mb
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/06/22

What mold you casting ?

An MP mold, 220 grain hollow point or flat nose.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/06/22

Savage with a 19โ€ Shilen prefit and custom bolt head.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/06/22
I would hunt with that.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/06/22
Almost bought a Marlin 35 yesterday.$650.00 good shape. It was a newer one plain wood. Was at a big gun show, didn't find any ammo, so I passed deer season is a week from Tuesday. I'll find one this winter, and have a year to get ammo and loads. Also saw a remy 35 pump, but no way to Mount a scope on it. Some day, I'll scratch that itch.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/06/22
Originally Posted by BCSteve

That would be an awesome combo for 99 percent of my hunting.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/06/22
Anybody ever used the factory 150 gr loads from Remington? They are a pointed soft point. Mb

I shot one sizeable (for around here) buck several years ago with the 150gr. It expanded violently and was under the hide on the off side. I'm satisfied that the 200gr is better suited for deer, but the 150 works if you don't push it beyond the limit.

Posted By: Dinny Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/07/22
SCGN,
Any idea how fast you were pushing that 150gr PSP? If I recall correctly that bullet was designed for the 350 Rem Mag. While I see no need for that bullet in anything faster than the 35 Rem, I have loaded it into my 357 Maximum and got good mushrooms pushing it to 2300 fps. All I've shot with it was wet packed newspaper with 1/2 OSB plywood layers at 3", 6", and 9". The bullet went through the 3" piece but stopped shy of the 6".

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: railman58 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/07/22
Rem 760 made in 1979 is my 35. Have used Rem 200gr Cl, Speer 180gr FP and Hornady 200gr FTX. Will be using the Speer load this year as I have several loaded. Personally, I think the Hornady 200gr FTX gives the old 35 an edge for little more distance out to 200yds and expands well on deer. Using LVR 45.0grs with the Speer for about 2300fps out of the 22in barrel. Good woods gun. Dan.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by Dinny
SCGN,
Any idea how fast you were pushing that 150gr PSP? If I recall correctly that bullet was designed for the 350 Rem Mag. While I see no need for that bullet in anything faster than the 35 Rem, I have loaded it into my 357 Maximum and got good mushrooms pushing it to 2300 fps. All I've shot with it was wet packed newspaper with 1/2 OSB plywood layers at 3", 6", and 9". The bullet went through the 3" piece but stopped shy of the 6".

Thanks, Dinny

The factory load is listed at 2300 fps. The 7600 has an 18 1/2" barrel, so would guess it to be less but haven't shot them over a chronograph.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/08/22

I didn't realize that the 35Rem rim was smaller than that of a 308.

I have a 700 short action that I was considering changing over. Hmmm ....
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/09/22
When I was working on that build and doing research I read that although the .35 Rem has a smaller rim it usually works fine with a normal .473 bolt. I think I even read that Remington uses the same bolt head for both. My Savage, originally a .308 Win, was hit and miss extracting .35 Rem brass so I sourced a custom head which is easy to switch on a Savage bolt. You might be OK with your Rem 700.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/09/22
I think extractor can be important if it will function right or not. IIRC the M16 or sako type did the best at grabbing and holding the slight smaller head.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/09/22
Saturday - Iโ€™ll be carrying my waffle top.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/13/22
I think extractor can be important if it will function right or not. IIRC the M16 or sako type did the best at grabbing and holding the slight smaller head.

That's been my experience. My custom Win M70 in 35 Rem has a push feed bolt and a M16 extractor was installed to assist with extraction. It works perfectly with the .473 bolt face.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/15/22
I have hunted with the 35 Remington since I bought my first one in 1987 a Marlin 336. I have owned several dozen since, but finally found my Holy Grail 35 this year, a Marlin Marauder. I topped it with a Leupold 2-7x28 Compact. It shoots moa with the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. I can't wait to take it to the woods here in a few days when our rifle season opens. I have had good luck with the Hornady ammo out of my other 35s. It never fails to expand and always leaves a good blood trail. I have had some of the Remington and Hornady round nose bullets pencil through without expanding over the years. Still recovered the deer as even a non expanding 35 cal bullet leaves a blood trail, but prefer the pointed Hornady or 180 grain Speer bullets these days.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by SuperCub

SC: that 700SA would work fine on .358W though....
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/16/22
35 rem with a 200 grain round nose was made for the laurel thickets of central PA. Wonderful cartridge!! Escpecially in a rem 760 or 7600. Says PA through and through
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/16/22
Just loaded up 3 different cast bullets on top of AA2520. Tested three combinations. All are good to hunt with.
Posted By: mathman Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

And with the right powders you can soft pedal the 358 a bit for a more 35 Rem like shooting experience.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by gunchamp
35 rem with a 200 grain round nose was made for the laurel thickets of central PA. Wonderful cartridge!! Escpecially in a rem 760 or 7600. Says PA through and through

You don't see a lot up here in New Brunswick. A few now and then, but most of the old guns were 94s in 32 Spec or 30-30. I think there were more across the border in Maine.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/17/22

I have all the loading kit for a 35Remington and none for the 358. Components are so scarce in Canada now that one is very limited when going into a new chambering.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/17/22

I have all the loading kit for a 35Remington and none for the 358. Components are so scarce in Canada now that one is very limited when going into a new chambering.

Casting for a 35 Remington works out well as the cartridge works perfectly with properly cast and powdercoated bullets, as well as with jacketed bullets which are hard to fine here other than the Hornady rubber tips.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/17/22
Bases should be here for my 336 today. It's a 2 piece set up so not real sure it will allow for proper scope placement.

Hopefully I can get it tuned in for our antlerless season in a few weeks.

200 grain Core-Lokt on top some Varget. It should work.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Any 35 Remington fans? - 11/17/22
My initial chronograph shooting last winter was a 336 A longer barrel model got velocities very similar to my 356 carbines.

Will test more this winter.
© 24hourcampfire