Home
At least in the Northeast, we've had unreal temperatures this fall. Find myself not as motivated.
Definitely!! The ticks, mosquitos and lack of daylight deer movement don’t make for good hunting. To top it off, it looks like it will still be warm into next week! I have seen almost no rut activity.
Sat last weekend in central KS. Temps were pretty warm, mosquitos were still out. But in 18 hours of stand time I saw over 30 deer with some close up rut action with young bucks chasing. Getting daytime pics of some good bucks moving and headed out again as soon as I can. I don't mind not freezing on deer stands lol.
I’m going regardless
I think we get two days out of the next ten that aren’t bumping or breaking 80 degrees. Definitely dampens my enthusiasm, but I’ll still hunt when I can.
Prime rut week here and the deer are moving but going to be in the 70s this weekend. I'll go out early and late with the crossbow but haven't seen much activity in my patch of woods. Expectations are low with this weather, and even if I'm lucky will have to process it like, right now!
Sorta - as in I get much more selective. "Do I want to deal with everything in these temps for that specific deer - today?"
Set yesterday and literally had my shirt off. Muzzle loader at the ready kinda"Tarzan" style. It was warm, pretty button head came in and hung around til' after dark. Too hot to deal with it and I try not to shoot button heads. Had it been an old nanny doe, well game on. Them ol" Does on our place are sharper than the bucks and they train the young ones LOL
I've hunted deer while wearing shorts and an orange t-shirt a couple of times over the past 32 years. The only things that I don't like about hunting in warm weather are the ticks and the urgency to get the animal into a meat cooler ASAP after you've field dressed it.
Here in ms (Central) I don’t get motivated till mid December and January between drought and heat I can wait
I was going again Friday, but hate dealing with the drag and meat in the heat. Would definitely require taking one to the processor to hang in the cooler. Still might go; it is after all the rut. Best chance to see horns walking around.
I pick and choose my days. Season starts Saturday and it will be high 70's, I'll wait. First front that pushes through and I'll be out there. The older I get the less days I hunt and the more successful I am.

They almost always rut the same days and I'll hunt them hard, just like I do the fronts.
Umm, NO...

But Dave, love your sig line.
Holding off on backpacking into our Coues spot until Friday morning as it is expected to snow there tomorrow...
I just hunt at night.
Elk are where you find them. Regardless of the weather, they have to be somewhere. You won’t get anything by not going. This is this morning when we saw the elk, then later when we had them dragged together…

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Elk are where you find them. Regardless of the weather, they have to be somewhere. You won’t get anything by not going. This is this morning when we saw the elk, then later when we had them dragged together…

Dang that's gettin' it done! Congrats to all!
Bow hunted NY Catskills for 3 days beginning on Halloween. Been postponing getting out for a month because of the warm weather. Temps still high 56-64 degrees, but didn't want to wait any longer.

Slowest bow hunt so far. Will wait for gun in 2 weeks. Hopefully weather will change.

-Ken
I was hunting last night and it was 72*. The skeeters were hanging around, but not too bad. I let a small 7 point walk. We've got a couple of big boys hanging around and you're not going to kill them sitting on the couch. It's gonna be almost 80* this afternoon, but I'll be out there.
Went yesterday afternoon with the wife. After walking 1000 yards to box blind, I stripped literally down to my skivvies and socks. It must have been 90* in that blind. opened all the windows and doors. Man, it was hot. Outside temp was 74*.
Anyway, read magazines and looked at phone. Finally, about 5:30 I felt the air change and decided I could get my pants and shirt on without melting.
About 6:00 I hear some leaves rustle and I see a small doe and a nanny doe stepping from the thicket into the food plot. Then I catch sight of a tall white tine but it dis-appears abruptly and I hear it leaving, not in a dead run or anything but more like a see Ya' later gait.

I watched the small doe and nanny doe some more, and then see another large doe and yearling. They were picking along in the food plot and kept looking back in the thicket. I thought Ol' big must be back. Anyway, I catch movement and antlers. I'm on point now. Anyways out steps a younger buck, a 5 pointer. I said "that's good to me". I put the crosshairs on him and the smoke rolled. The old Knight .45cal. MK85 punched him right on the point of the shoulder and the 195gr. powerbelt ended it's journey in his heart. The left front shoulder shattered and he ran all of about twenty yards. No blood trail, no exit hole. The shot was only about 30 yards max.
Walked to the truck and got it. Easy drag to the tailgate.
Off to the processor and that's where I found what was left of the powerbelt. About 30 grains I'd guess.

The Mrs. seen a one horned cowhorn @ 60 yards but passed on it.

Headed out again this afternoon. Maybe I'll be a little more patient now that I have a freezer deer down..... LOL I doubt it. I'm not much of a trophy hunter. I cut the hocks off of this deer and may hang them in a small pine this afternoon.

A side note, the processor took something out of the deers head to send off and check for CWD. It's not reported in the county I hunt in (Rockingham), but is in the county to the west.
It was 71 at 5 this morning, screw hunting in this weather.
Deer were moving yesterday regardless of rain and warm temps
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
It was 71 at 5 this morning, screw hunting in this weather.

Yeah. I hunt the NW corner of GA, so I'm a bit north of you, and it was cooking yesterday. Today it's supposed to get up to 80. Since I cross a state line I have to completely debone deer before crossing the line again. It's not a big deal and it's something I enjoy but I'm not going to fight the flies while doing it. I don't skip many days from mid-Oct to early Feb....but I'm skipping today.

Extended forecast looks like next weekend's lows may be in the upper 20's....which will be a BIG change...and welcome by me.
It was 28 degrees here yesterday. Balmy 38 degrees now. First day of the season will be low of 9 degrees and a high of 22. It won't get above freezing for a while after that if it does before spring
Ya, it's been way warm here, cooled down though with two days of rain. I could not resist to take a fat doe with the bow last night as I needed the meat. She is hanging in the barn and will put her on ice this morning, it was nice and cool last night, thankfully!
I killed a deer yesterday. It was 78 degrees. I can’t say I have ever hunted in Maine before at those temperatures. The deer actually moved well all afternoon
We are getting rain and snow. Gusts are supposed to hit 65 mph. Can’t see outside because of ice on windows. Friggin global warming.
My grandson got a decent 4-4 yesterday evening. Gonna cut it up today. Edk
I got in my blind 30 minutes before daylight, 5 hours later I headed home empty handed. If I'd had an airgun I could of killed a dozen squirrels easily.
I sat 11 hours yesterday, daylight to dark in a proven stand in heavy, wet cover. I saw 4 deer, all from 10-10:30. Strange deer patterns this year.
In the 70s here all week and then drops to the 20s Friday night. That'll be the time to go.

I put a new wood burning stove at deer camp this past weekend. Looking forward to using it.
Missed my first early MZ opener on Sat 11/5 due to weather.
Down to a high of 60 today, will hunt this evening.
We had one morning during MZ season with a hard frost. The afternoons were hot 80s. We have lots of acorns this year so the.deer moved at night when it was cooler and they don't have to move much to find food. I still hunted a lot. I saw several does and spikes. Rifle opens Saturday and it is supposed to be cold the whole first week. I expect much better hunting.
Was 72 here this afternoon, just to Warm!
28 was the high here. Must be nice!!

Handsome group, Shrap. Way to get it done, men.
Killed big boy yesterday morning wifey put me on turkey duty until rifle season.I passed up a 18 in 8 pt this morning great video making rubs and a scrape.It’s in my kids hands now the moment I’ve waited for my whole adult life see what they can do😉
Big time acorn crop in central Texas, deer aren’t moving much

Congrats Shrap!

Great job, enjoy!

HS 58
Mid Michigan deer are moving despite higher than typical temperatures...77F today, and the rut is on. High 50's tomorrow and dropping temps the next several days. Should be normal mid November temps by gun opener on the 15th.

Corn down the road was picked several days ago and the fields across the road were picked today.

Set up a blind behind the barn last week which survived a couple of days of hign wind. Expect to be sitting in it next
Tuesday AM.
VA muzzle loader opener last weekend was interesting, mid-high 70’s, saw 2 doe all day Saturday, passed on the 330am wake-up Sunday. Went out in the afternoon to hang a stand and hunt a spot I thought had potential and for which the wind was perfect. Less than an hour in saw a big deer walking away from me but couldn’t ID. Then a 6 point walked in, grunted, and the earlier deer came back to deal w him, raking a tree and scraping, couple minutes later he stepped into a window and a big 9 was in the bag. Dragging was fun in that heat. You never know.
Not me, I'm as pumped as ever. Can't wait for the trek from FL to my camp in NY catskills, next week. Nighttime temps in the mid 20s, and low to mid 40s daytime. Locals are saying the bucks just started chasing during day light, this week.

Best of luck to all
Passed 2 8 pts this morning cruising 60 degrees
Still archery season here, but it’s gonna be cold Monday morning with a wind favorable for my best spot.

Easy to stay in the bed when conditions don’t cooperate, but this is prime. No excuses will be accepted!
© 24hourcampfire