Home
Posted By: Houston_2 Sugar Beets - 11/07/22
Has anyone here planted sugar beets for whitetail deer in their food plots and if so what were your experiences and results from planting them?
Posted By: miguel Re: Sugar Beets - 11/07/22
I think deer would love them, but I’ve never had any luck growing the damn things!!
Posted By: Teal Re: Sugar Beets - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by miguel
I think deer would love them, but I’ve never had any luck growing the damn things!!

They are a common bait product in MI. Deer love em.
Posted By: macarny Re: Sugar Beets - 11/08/22
I’ve never grown them but I’ve baited deer in NJ and Maryland and deer love them, the green tops and the beet itself
Posted By: Soup Re: Sugar Beets - 11/08/22
They grow them in NJ.
I've used them for several years.
Posted By: pointer Re: Sugar Beets - 11/08/22
I've long wanted to try them, but with the price of seed and the equipment I have access to I've not taken the plunge. They are a much longer crop than other options. Would love to get my hands on an affordable bag of the glyphosate resistance variety.

That said, I'm not sure they'd work for me any better than what I plant now. The tubers would make a great late season draw, but I don't hunt that season much. My place in IN is a bit of an anomaly in that there aren't many crops grown nearby. I only have about 2-3ac to plant, therefore I need something that can withstand fairly heavy grazing pressure. Not sure sugarbeets would handle it.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Sugar Beets - 11/09/22
Gents, thanks for the replies.
Posted By: wade brown Re: Sugar Beets - 11/10/22
How are deer at digging?

Frozen beets are great bait as the deer will chew on them forever one frozen beet will last a long time for whitetails.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Sugar Beets - 11/10/22
Somewhat like turnips, radishes, squash, and pumpkins in that sometimes it takes the deer a bit of time to figure out they're supposed to eat them. Once they develop the taste though, SB's can work quite well.
© 24hourcampfire