Home
Posted By: pointer Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
Due to life, I haven't deer hunted all bow season. But, the rut and weather were lining up for a good opening weekend. I was in my stand before daylight on Saturday with everything I needed to sit all day. Right at day break I had a button buck right underneath me. Then it got slow. About 9am I had a couple of coyotes come through at less than 50yds. Put the scope on them, but I couldn't pull the trigger as it was the opener and I was still hopeful. An hour later I caught a glimpse of a bobcat! While not rare, they are not too common in this part of the Hoosier state. About 11:30 I saw a couple of does cross the powerline to my west. Nothing until 2:30 when I had a doe and a couple yearlings filter into the foodplot. I got ready in case something was following them. And it was! Saw a buck limp out of the timber on their back trail. As soon as he stepped out behind some brush I shot him quartering too, dropping him. I racked another shell just in case. The does hopped over about 10yds and looked back at him. The empty hitting the treestand got their attention and I shot the doe as she was facing me. Watched her do a 20yds death stumble.

I had an idea from the trail camera pics that I knew which buck I'd shot, but didn't want to believe it. Once I got down and over to him, I was proven correct. Best buck to date! More than tickled!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SKane Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
_
HELL YEAH!!!

Congrats man - tis grand.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
gorg deer...
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
What a stud
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
That’s a good one 👍👍
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
Dang that's a nice deer. Congrats!
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
Beautiful buck!! Congrats.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
Nice pointer!

...though....you really should have saved it for your boys....grin...
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
Wow! Nice buck! Your persistence sitting in the stand paid off big time.

Ron
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
What shootin iron did you take him with?

Ron
Posted By: JPro Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
Beautiful buck right there!!! What did you shoot him with?
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
A great buck, I especially like the tall brow tines.
Posted By: mibowhunter Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
Drooling...

Congrats !
Posted By: 44mc Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
congrats nice one & doe is more meat
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
That is a huge one, Wow! Congrats !
Posted By: MAC Re: Indiana Opener - 11/16/22
Got a nephew that lives in Danville. He got a nice 7 pt on opening day.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Indiana Opener - 11/17/22
That is a nice buck, congrats.
Posted By: skeen Re: Indiana Opener - 11/17/22
Wow, pointer, nice buck!
Posted By: rong Re: Indiana Opener - 11/17/22
That's a dandy
congrats
Posted By: pointer Re: Indiana Opener - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Nice pointer!

My oldest had first dibs on that location. He decided to stay at home. So, I do what Dad's do, show them the mistakes in their logic... laugh

Shot him with a Tikka 260 Rem, SWFA 3-9, Berger Ammo using the 136gr Scenar. Hit the onside shoulder and found the bullet in the offside after breaking the 'knuckle' on that said. Haven't seen a reason yet to shoot anything else than a Scenar out of this rifle, whether on the range or on a critter.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Indiana Opener - 11/17/22
Quite the day. Congratulations!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Indiana Opener - 11/17/22
Originally Posted by pointer
Nice pointer!

My oldest had first dibs on that location. He decided to stay at home. So, I do what Dad's do, show them the mistakes in their logic... laugh

Shot him with a Tikka 260 Rem, SWFA 3-9, Berger Ammo using the 136gr Scenar. Hit the onside shoulder and found the bullet in the offside after breaking the 'knuckle' on that said. Haven't seen a reason yet to shoot anything else than a Scenar out of this rifle, whether on the range or on a critter.

Ha! I vividly remember my father waking me to go hunting the morning after a January birthday party when I was a teenager. I said not today. He killed a nice 10 point that morning.
Posted By: pointer Re: Indiana Opener - 11/17/22
Nice pointer!

Ha! I vividly remember my father waking me to go hunting the morning after a January birthday party when I was a teenager. I said not today. He killed a nice 10 point that morning.
Those things happen! And what Dad's are for... laugh
Posted By: Calvin Re: Indiana Opener - 11/17/22
Great looking buck
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Indiana Opener - 11/17/22
Atta Boy---Really nice buck
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Indiana Opener - 12/03/22
Great buck, T!
Posted By: hangunnr Re: Indiana Opener - 12/03/22
Damn, don’t know how I missed this one.

That’s a great buck, congratulations!
Posted By: Brad Re: Indiana Opener - 12/03/22
Wow, how great!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Indiana Opener - 12/03/22
Due to life, I haven't deer hunted all bow season. But, the rut and weather were lining up for a good opening weekend. I was in my stand before daylight on Saturday with everything I needed to sit all day. Right at day break I had a button buck right underneath me. Then it got slow. About 9am I had a couple of coyotes come through at less than 50yds. Put the scope on them, but I couldn't pull the trigger as it was the opener and I was still hopeful. An hour later I caught a glimpse of a bobcat! While not rare, they are not too common in this part of the Hoosier state. About 11:30 I saw a couple of does cross the powerline to my west. Nothing until 2:30 when I had a doe and a couple yearlings filter into the foodplot. I got ready in case something was following them. And it was! Saw a buck limp out of the timber on their back trail. As soon as he stepped out behind some brush I shot him quartering too, dropping him. I racked another shell just in case. The does hopped over about 10yds and looked back at him. The empty hitting the treestand got their attention and I shot the doe as she was facing me. Watched her do a 20yds death stumble.

I had an idea from the trail camera pics that I knew which buck I'd shot, but didn't want to believe it. Once I got down and over to him, I was proven correct. Best buck to date! More than tickled!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Indiana Opener - 12/03/22
Dandy!!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Indiana Opener - 12/03/22
Yessir, that’s a nice one 😊
Posted By: Westman Re: Indiana Opener - 12/03/22
Awesome buck Pointer!

He's gonna look great on the wall!

Bill
Posted By: Judman Re: Indiana Opener - 12/04/22
Dandy pointer!👊🏻
Posted By: Hawkeye_Reloader Re: Indiana Opener - 12/04/22
Great buck, way to go!
Posted By: MGunns Re: Indiana Opener - 12/04/22
That'll do.....
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Indiana Opener - 12/04/22
Congrats on a magnificent Hoosier buck, deer that size were never seen in Indiana when I started hunting here 45 + years ago. Gradually the size and quality of Hoosier bucks has improved, the land owner where I hunt has put two in the Hoosier record book. My best Indiana buck is an average size 7pt. taken about 10-12 yrs. ago, I have caught a glimpse of a big one a while ago didn't get a shooting opportunity.
Posted By: pointer Re: Indiana Opener - 12/05/22
Thanks for the kudos! Getting him off the hill on the deer cart (sold SXS due to life's curveball) about turned into a comedy of errors. There were times I was behind him and times I was passing him on the way down. The Hoosier Hillbilly version of Cool Runnings!
© 24hourcampfire