Home
Posted By: DaveinWV WV firearm season - 11/17/22
Our firearm season for antlered deer starts Monday. I heading to camp in the morning. It's going to be a great time.

I saw this and knew I had to take it to camp. laugh
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: earlybrd Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
Good luck Wv boys
Posted By: rong Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
That Rebel sounds alot better than Unicorn farts.
Best of luck,ours starts Saturday.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by rong
That Rebel sounds alot better than Unicorn farts.
Best of luck,ours starts Saturday.

I'm taking Bitburger Pils, some local brewed stout, and Leinenkugel Octoberfest too.
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
I am heading that way tomorrow myself. I was able to take a bear with my bow earlier this year and we don't have a target buck on the property, but as our property borders a WMA, we like to have someone in camp during the firearms buck season to "discourage" people from hunting our food plots.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
Stuck at home this year. Get one for me guys
Posted By: MagMarc Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
Rifle starts Saturday here. Have a great season!
Posted By: MGunns Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
Leaving Saturday for camp. Best time of the year.......
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
Y'all goin to a bar or hunting camp? Oh nevermind....
Good luck, but if you combine the unicorn farts with the bourbon it's gonna get ugly fast...
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Y'all goin to a bar or hunting camp? Oh nevermind....

Yes!
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
Go get ‘em fellas!
Posted By: Nathan13 Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
This and dove opener here at home are the only hunts I refuse to miss
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
The annual 14 day stay in paradise begins Sunday morning. Hopefully the lower wetzel county metropolitan area has a few bucks this year...
Posted By: OldRooster Re: WV firearm season - 11/18/22
Have a great time Dave! I’m just hunting from home. And excited to be going out.
Posted By: Meadows77 Re: WV firearm season - 11/19/22
I will be out in Lincoln County Monday. Can’t wait.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: WV firearm season - 11/19/22
Gonna be frosty! Calling for 17 here in the Eastern Panhandle.

Good luck fellers!
Posted By: JENKINS9 Re: WV firearm season - 11/19/22
Heading over to hardy county tommrow morning for the week.
Originally Posted by JENKINS9
Heading over to hardy county tommrow morning for the week.

Shoot a couple bears….
Posted By: JENKINS9 Re: WV firearm season - 11/19/22
Bear season is not in this week in hardy county this year. Last year they got the case of mange. Their was a good many found dead. My father's cousin found two on his property dead with it.
Ewwww!

Be my luck to finally see one while hunting and have it be all itchy.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: WV firearm season - 11/21/22
Ol’ Pappy tagged out with a 1x3 volunteer this morning.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: WV firearm season - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348

[Linked Image]

Good going! Good to see ya getting it done.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: WV firearm season - 11/21/22
That’s two in the can, all we need, so I’m more than likely done. Might go sit in the woods for a bit here and there, but not “in anger”. Might be ready again for the Mountaineer Heritage Season in January. Got a musket that needs some action.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: WV firearm season - 11/21/22
Nice! I saw a doe & yearling at 11:00 and a bigazz doe I jumped out as I was leaving. Seemed to be precious little activity where I was.
Posted By: roninflag Re: WV firearm season - 11/23/22
Dave- good luck. Are there mountain lions in west Virginia?. the area i drove through in october looked like mountain lion country. ron
Posted By: skeen Re: WV firearm season - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348

[Linked Image]
Good deal, Pappy!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: WV firearm season - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by roninflag
Dave- good luck. Are there mountain lions in west Virginia?. the area i drove through in october looked like mountain lion country. ron

There are, and in the adjoining sections of VA. Both my ex and my son have seen them while driving, and Skyline Drive has long had reports of sightings from workers who live in the Park.

My next-door neighbor swore one was hanging around their pool one year when we were in a terrible drought. Don’t know if she’d know one if it sat on her head though. My WMA is five miles away on the East side of the Shenandoah. Man told me he’d seen one in the cliffs overlooking the river. I’ve never found any tracks though or other sign.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: WV firearm season - 11/27/22
I got back home today. I got a spike buck about 3:30 Monday with my Mannlicher MC carbine 7x57. The Unicorn Farts beer was as bad as anticipated. We had a great time. I had an antlerless stamp but didn't get a shot after Monday, but it was great getting out.
Posted By: JENKINS9 Re: WV firearm season - 11/27/22
First time in 23 years since I was 14 that I didn't get a deer. The only deer a small spike that I could've killed my nephew killed. Herd less shooting then ever. First day I heard one shot. Others I talked to said the same thing.i think their were so much for them to eat they didn't need to move.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: WV firearm season - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
I got back home today. I got a spike buck about 3:30 Monday with my Mannlicher MC carbine 7x57. The Unicorn Farts beer was as bad as anticipated. We had a great time. I had an antlerless stamp but didn't get a shot after Monday, but it was great getting out.

Good to know I’m not the only dink shooter here.

Congrats!

Made a big pot of veggie soup today with a roast from my first one. Fine stuff!
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: WV firearm season - 11/27/22
Nice work Gents!!
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: WV firearm season - 11/28/22
Pappy348, most in our camp go for doe since they taste better and aren't as tough.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: WV firearm season - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Pappy348, most in our camp go for doe since they taste better and aren't as tough.

I dunno. One of the best-tasting deer I ever had was my biggest, a stinky old 8-point I shot on the “mountain” across from Horse Creek in Raleigh County. I think it’s mostly about killing them cleanly and getting them cooled out.

So far, the doe I took in October has been really fine. Hoping my buck is as well. He should be coming home shortly after about a week in the cooler.
Posted By: Seafire Re: WV firearm season - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by Meadows77
I will be out in Lincoln County Monday. Can’t wait.

Is Meadows your last name? And you a WVA native?
Originally Posted by MGunns
Leaving Saturday for camp. Best time of the year.......

How'd your luck go this year MGunns? I was back home in Monroe County this June and July, down around Greenville and RockCamp, and Peterstown, and actually saw some pretty good bucks running around in my travels.

Hope you ended up going home with some Venison.....

cheers
john chr/ seafire
Hope all you WVa boys had a good season...
Posted By: OldRooster Re: WV firearm season - 11/29/22
Seafire, we have a few days of buck season left and then a few more antlerless. I’ve hunted hard and haven’t had a shot. Good sign and fresh sign but just a couple of does busting thru a thicket. I think there are probably several factors: Almost no hunters in the woods for whatever reasons; the mast hit well and they’re spread out and not moving far to feed; and they’re largely nocturnal, even the does. I need freezer meat.
© 24hourcampfire