Home
Posted By: FritoBandito Deer dragging options? - 11/21/22
What are you guys using to drag deer by hand to the nearest established trail? Already have the Glenn’s Deer Handle (https://deerhandle.com/), but can’t find another one in stock.

What are you guys using? Any recommendations? Just want something easy and effective to throw in the backpack. Thanks!
Posted By: tzone Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/21/22
I use teenagers
Lol, that’s my preference as well. Just sometimes I hunt with the old farts and I’m a helluva lot closer to their age than the teenagers.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/21/22
I picked up this setup at Sportsmens Warehouse a few years ago. Nylon strap and rope. I don't like to pull with my arms and this drag pulls the deer with shoulders and upper body. Plus, I go hands free to carry rifle.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Masshunter Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/21/22
I have used a product from Cabelas "Deersleigher" hard plastic that laces up and slides real easy, especially on snow. I'm 70, and last year pulled two out on bare ground. Like pulling a canoe it goes around rocks and trees pretty easy. Great for bears too. Too big for the backpack, but will save your back.
Posted By: Jcon72 Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/21/22
My teenagers are now grown and the last one left home today, so that option is no longer valid for me.
That being said, "dragging" a deer feels like it's going to literally kill me, so last month I picked up a Hawk Crawler deer cart after reading many positive reviews. It's obviously not something that you can slip into your backpack, but I must say that it is AWESOME! On Friday I shot a huge 8-point (https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?449897-Shotgun-opener-big-8!) and after strapping the cart to it and flipping it over onto its wheels I was truly impressed. With him weighing 225-240 lbs I never could have dragged him out by myself, but I'm am pleased to say that I pulled it the entire way out of the woods without any help. Even when traversing a ravine and up a hill.
https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Crawler-Game-Cart-Black/dp/B01D93036U
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/21/22
I met another deer hunter who used a small blue tarp: roll it up and slide it out to the truck.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
I shoot them with a powerful enough rifle and shoot them so they drop. Most of the places I hunt are places I can drive to. It doesn't always work out especially with MZ rifles. But with Centerfires it usually does. I carry a piece of rope in my orange vest.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
Halve the buck and then a packframe.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by tzone
I use teenagers
Used a 22 year old this year. He can hunt my place any time so this is his work for that.
Posted By: JDK Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
I dragged 2 deer so far this season. One well over a mile. 6-7 feet of line tied to any sound piece of wood I could find. Much prefer a jet sled but wasn’t walking out to get it at the truck
Posted By: hookeye Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
Cuz popped a 9 pointer today. Maybe 80 yard drag to edge of field. Loaded into truck. 2 people, wasnt a bad deal but i know we will both feel it tomorrow LOL.

Rack big enough it was proly as easy as if dumped in a sled.

Def sled or cart for does. Buck just grab a side and go.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
I gave up dragging a deer out of the woods many years ago. That's what 4-wheelers, tractors, and horses are for. I also have the advantage of hunting my home farm, and can pretty much pick my shots so a deer falls where I can drive right to them.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
I used to drive up to my deer. When I had old bomber Jeeps. Some nasty stuff too, screw it. Old MTRs would dig and it was no prob. Last yr used my GC w all.terrains, but it was pretty even ground and no mud. Scratched the hell out of it. Didnt care.

Cuz and I now have two new vehicles, so dragging resumed
Posted By: hanco Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
Drive jeep or Polaris right up to them
Posted By: Seuss Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
https://www.tractorsupply.com/landing-pages_brands_terrain
Slicker than bat [bleep].
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/22/22
Ski rope handle
Sled
Game cart.
Wheeler

Nice to have options.
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/23/22
Artic cat 500
Posted By: skeen Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/23/22
This looks lightweight and interesting.

Hawk Cinch Deer Drag
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/23/22
Posted By: meat sticks Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by skeen

Hawk Cinch Deer Drag

You can make this for free. I use a chunk of rope, loop one end then slide a 12 inch piece of garden hose onto the rope then loop the other end. you loop one end around the antlers or the head on a doe and the other around the front legs. Works pretty good and generally costs nothing as most people have a chunk of rope and some garden hose laying around! I sling turkey out with mine also.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/23/22
Originally Posted by Jcon72
My teenagers are now grown and the last one left home today, so that option is no longer valid for me.
That being said, "dragging" a deer feels like it's going to literally kill me, so last month I picked up a Hawk Crawler deer cart after reading many positive reviews. It's obviously not something that you can slip into your backpack, but I must say that it is AWESOME! On Friday I shot a huge 8-point (https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?449897-Shotgun-opener-big-8!) and after strapping the cart to it and flipping it over onto its wheels I was truly impressed. With him weighing 225-240 lbs I never could have dragged him out by myself, but I'm am pleased to say that I pulled it the entire way out of the woods without any help. Even when traversing a ravine and up a hill.
https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Crawler-Game-Cart-Black/dp/B01D93036U

I have one of those, purchased at a big discount. It’s almost a great cart, however, it suffers from a couple of shortcomings, easily fixed, but annoying. Maybe they’ve addressed this since I got mine, but here goes…..

First, the knobs that lock the upper handle lack the strength to really hold the sections together. I added hose clamps to re-enforce them. Second, the lower section has holes for clevis pins (apparently anyway) but no pins came with the cart, and when I used it Monday, that section kept folding up and throwing the balance off, forcing me to hold my end down or up as needed, in addition to pulling it. First thing I did yesterday morning was to rummage through my “ tractor parts” coffee can for a couple of clevis pins and take care of that problem. I also added some mongo cable ties around the upper handle sections to further strengthen that. Folding it up now would be a chore, but I can just throw it in the truck as-is.

NOW it’s a great cart. It’s been cabled to a tree on my WMA for two seasons, and will probably go back next year. Meanwhile it’ll be hauling heavy crap around my yard. I am impressed with how it held up for two years in the woods. I toted a lightweight bike pump in to top off the tires, one of which needs a new valve core. A little mouse chewed one of the tube caps a bit, but otherwise it’s undamaged.
Posted By: wildfowl Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/23/22
Jet Sled is the best thing I have found to drag deer with. Don't waste your time with the dinky low wall kids sleds. The Jet Sled has something like a 12 inch depth so once the deer is in there, it will not fall out. Also works great because they are rigged enough that loading the entire deer into a truck after out of the woods you can put one side up and then lift/push the rest by yourself. They ride over logs, rocks, mud, snow, you name it. Well worth the $50 or so.

I do add a longer rope though

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/shappell-jet-sled
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/24/22
I bought the bigger one from Sportsmans Guide. Came with the runners, which should make it last longer. So far, mine’s just been used in the yard for hauling leaves, bags of dirt and mulch, etc. Holds a lot more than my wheelbarrow, and I can tow it behind the Cub Cadet. I have a 4-gallon electric sprayer, and it’s a load for an old fat man, but in the jet sled it’s a snap.
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/24/22
Shoot them in the kill switch on the trail. Then remove with Polaris 02'

Attached picture thumbnail_image0 (3) resize.jpg
Posted By: Windfall Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/24/22
That narrow sled in Gargoyle's post looks a lot like the heavy fiberglass one that I use. Deer are narrow and long and those wider Jet Sleds are wider than I like in a thick woods. That narrow sled pulled by a Rokon has solved any dragging issue for me. A specialized kit to be sure, but avoiding a coronary event is worth it to me. Every year I notice that I got another year older.
Posted By: wldthg Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/24/22
I took Roundoaks suggestion about 25+ years ago with a little modification.
A backpack. I seriously can't figure out why a guy would drag a deer instead of just quartering it and carrying it out in a pack.

Unless we're talking less than 100yds in an alfalfa field, phugg dragging one.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/24/22
If it’s more than a few hundred yards and I’m by myself, I prefer to use the gutless method and quarter. Fortunately, haven’t had to deal with that in several years.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/24/22
if I ha ve to drag one more than a short distance to a trail where I can get an ATV it's getting quartered and hauled out on my pack. that dragging for a couple miles sounds much more romantic in theory than practice
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by tzone
I use teenagers

Haha! I keep a 4 wheeler at my land in a hanger. I use it once or twice a year. Normally when I do doe killings, I do it in a field or spot where I can pull up to it.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/29/22
Unless there is snow or grass, I put them in a backpack. Much easier on the body. I've got an internal frame pack with 20" frame stays that isn't too bad to carry.

The meat is definitely better if you get them out in one piece and hang them, though.
I am famous for forgetting any kind of rope. I take me belt off and rig around antler bases on bucks, neck on does. Drag with leather belt, pull my pants up every time I stop to avoid heart attack. (Every 30 yds).
Posted By: Raeford Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by wldthg

Did Roundoak use these on all of those monsters he slayed?
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by wldthg

Did Roundoak use these on all of those monsters he slayed?

You know he drags em out with the nurr spreader.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/29/22
Screw that draggin' nonsense.......

Posted By: gregintenn Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by roundoak
It just keeps getting better? I bet you bought that strictly for the purpose of dragging deer.
Posted By: wildone Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/29/22
been using one of these for a while https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Deluxe-Deer-Drag/dp/B002KJDPCO
Posted By: duke61 Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/30/22
My son, my nephew and side by side utv
Posted By: wldthg Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/30/22
Biggest rack that I ever had on the end of this drag may have scored 105-108 maybe--- 165+- lbs
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/30/22
My drag of the one I shot on the 21st is finally over. Dragged 43lbs of boneless (except for the femur in the roasts) meat home from the cutter yesterday. Just heating the oven up now for some burgers. Hope he’s as tasty as his “sister”!

EDIT: We have have a winner! Just excellent. 15 minutes at 400. Herdez salsa on the side.
Posted By: okie john Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/30/22
I hunt little deer on a steep, rocky island where motorized vehicles are prohibited. I rarely kill one very far from a trail, so I keep 15 feet of 1" tubular nylon tied in a loop in my pack. I gut the deer, throw a clove hitch around the neck, step into the loop, and start walking. My hands are free to carry my rifle and my shoulders take the load.

I carried one out a few years ago and my knees ached for days afterwards. Using the loop to drag one for a mile or two is easier.

Okie John
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/30/22
The deer drag attachment on the tree stand safety harnesses work good too. Displaces the pulled weight throughout the harness.
Shot a small 8 point in a place I normally bring a backpack if I hunt. Been getting my butt handed to me all season and figured my lucky streak would continue so didn't bring the pack. Takes me about 1/2 hour to quarter a whitetail and 60-70 pounds tops to get the meat and head out( usually less) . I won't be dragging a deer off that ridge again, like someone said dragging a deer for over a mile sounds like a tough guy thing to do but in reality it sucks and kind of stupid too
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Deer dragging options? - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by roundoak
I picked up this setup at Sportsmens Warehouse a few years ago. Nylon strap and rope. I don't like to pull with my arms and this drag pulls the deer with shoulders and upper body. Plus, I go hands free to carry rifle.

You mean you would just wrap the strap around your PTO and hit the gas.

Lol

🦫
Posted By: MGunns Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/03/22

Hawk Cinch Deer Drag

It works pretty well
Posted By: battue Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/03/22
There is a lot of this in Pa.....and no Deer drag is going to make an easy job of it....I spent around three hours pulling one out last year, and it wasn't as bad as the topo pic....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] Best advice is to shoot up high and drag down.
Posted By: skeen Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by MGunns

Hawk Cinch Deer Drag

It works pretty well

After seeing several videos and testimonials on this one, Pocket Drag, I decided to give one a whirl.

It's pretty compact, and I'd never need to drag a deer very far. Just far enough to get the game cart to it.

For $15 bucks, hey, why not. smile

https://www.pocketdrag.com/product-page/pocker-drag

Posted By: shootem Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/04/22
Foreman 450 but it takes an awfully big backpack.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/04/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I try like hell to drop them either in the 4wlr trail or above it and drag down
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/04/22
A wide strap to go around chest is good.

Kinda like a harness.

I usually quarter them and back pack em out instead of dragging.

Mules I like using mules.
Posted By: ClaimsRep Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/10/22
Yamaha Kodiak 700. Seriously.

Originally Posted by Angus1895
A wide strap to go around chest is good.

Kinda like a harness.

I concur on this. I use a heavy duty 2” wide web nylon hose strap from my firefighting days. 1/2 hitch around the horns and throw the strap over my shoulder and get to dragging.
Posted By: Judman Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/10/22
A good knife and a hickory shirt has fed more families In western wa than most can fathom.👊🏻
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/10/22
Used a Murray riding lawn mower to drag
one back a few years ago. Dead tractor battery
and the truck would have made it down the
hill, but not back up with it pouring rain.
Probably not as glamorous as some solutions,
but it got the job done
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Deer dragging options? - 12/10/22
Scooter and Dink

Attached picture 5826BD2A-3747-46C9-9B2C-8AAE83962F02.jpeg
© 24hourcampfire