Home
Posted By: Tinemaster PA Rifle getting excited - 11/24/22
Susquehana county uncles property been hunting it for 25 yrs typically get a nice 8 every year. This year we had two whoppers on cams rather consistent we haven't had cams out in two weeks as we pulled them. Super excited to see what this season brings this is the first year we have ever applied for doe permits going to try and take a doe with the handgun ruger super Redhawks 44 mag. Taking 3 rifles Kimber 84M pro hunter in 308 win /Ruger M77 RSI in 30-06 and My favorite Thumper Savage 99A in 358 win. Using all hand loads I make

Good Luck to all heading in to the field this week And a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and there families
Posted By: FWP Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/24/22
Good luck! We're leaving on Friday for Sullivan.
Good luck fellas. We’ll be trying to sling lead here in Lycoming. 😎
Posted By: kingston Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/24/22
Checking in from Warren Co. Good luck to all!
Posted By: Dale K Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/24/22
Will be hunting the family farm in Clearfield. Best to all,

Dale
Posted By: jdunham Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/24/22
Headed to camp in Bradford County in the morning. A bunch of good ones on the cameras this year. Everyone is excited.
Posted By: skeen Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/24/22
Good luck, PA hunters!
Good luck! Hope you nail a whopper. Make sure air pressure in truck tires is checked, dont need no blowouts carrying that arsenal LOL laugh
Posted By: pymi Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/25/22
Good luck be safe, everyone is sighting in today here in 1A.
Hunting Cambria county (2E) in the AM, lots of sign. Good luck all!
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/25/22
Good luck!
Some years I sat in the hollow on my farm, some years up by the beacon light, other times up back of Brooksville, or over on Cherry Run, or up off Pine Creek. Gosh I miss PA. Had hoped to be there, but can't stand the long car ride this year. Hopefully a few more brackets and deck screws in my back and I can shiver on a stump next year.
I'll be thinking about you'uns tomorrow.
Bfly
I'll be behind my house in 2-D
Posted By: Teeder Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/25/22
Good luck everyone.
I'll be around home in 1B.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/26/22
My late friend had a 100+ acre farm at Gettysburg, just off Red Rock Road, within sight of the Eisenhower Farm. We hunted it for about a decade, until his divorce forced him to sell and he moved to WV. What a great place it was. Bisected by Marsh Creek, about half was woods and brushy meadow. Killed my first antlered deer there with the longest shot I’ve ever had to take at one. Miss those days, and my friend, who passed in 2016 at 96 and is buried at Arlington.

Best of luck to all of you.
Tinemaster, I too spent many a day in Susquehanna Co. chasing whitetails. Haven't hunted PA in 27 years since I moved to Colorado. Good times. Be safe and good luck to all of the PA hunters!
Posted By: skeen Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by Tinemaster
PA Rifle getting excited
Hell, man, I'm excited and I live Kansas! whistle laugh

Good luck tomorrow, Men!
Posted By: battue Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by Tinemaster
Susquehana county uncles property been hunting it for 25 yrs typically get a nice 8 every year. This year we had two whoppers on cams rather consistent we haven't had cams out in two weeks as we pulled them. Super excited to see what this season brings this is the first year we have ever applied for doe permits going to try and take a doe with the handgun ruger super Redhawks 44 mag. Taking 3 rifles Kimber 84M pro hunter in 308 win /Ruger M77 RSI in 30-06 and My favorite Thumper Savage 99A in 358 win. Using all hand loads I make

Good Luck to all heading in to the field this week And a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and there families

My local woods areas in Armstrong have become a prison I can't get into. Traveled approximately 7 miles of one backroad today. Posted on both sides. Some of which I have a good idea were done so illegally. A landowner who owns thousand of acres throughout the county, and allows hunting, has signs that were not signed. None of the purple paint on trees, which now signifies posted. Unless onXhunt is behind on updates, and he rarely sells, something is up. Have plans to talk with him shortly.
Posted By: borden811 Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/12/22
Now that the main gun season has wrapped up, did any of you PA boys have any luck?
Posted By: benchman Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/12/22
Originally Posted by borden811
Now that the main gun season has wrapped up, did any of you PA boys have any luck?
Nope. Never even had one present a shot. Only saw 2 deer.
Went for a walk in the morning before chores. Spotted a two deer out in a freshly picked corn strip. It was too dark to get a good look at them, but it looked like a decent buck and a doe.
I snuck out to the top of a diversion ditch and got ready for a prone shot. As the sun came up I could tell it was a good buck. It started to walk towards the mountain, I fired one shot at 340 yards. The buck jumped and went about ten yards. It looked dead on its feet but I shot once more and it tipped over.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Dale K Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/13/22
Nice buck Ben. Didn't see a thing during legal shooting hours. I did see two does in the dark corner of a corn field after 5 PM during the second week and then later had 2 run across the road on my way in town for supper on the last Friday.

But nothing to shoot at and only saw 1 hunter in the woods. This on a farm enrolled in the PGC Farm Game project.

Dale
Posted By: moosemike Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/13/22
Great buck Ben!
That's a good one anywhere---Nice
Posted By: skeen Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/13/22
Great buck, keystoneben!
Posted By: kevinJ Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/13/22
Were you spreading manure today? Or did you miss all that?

You gotta post a pic of you and the deer laying on the ground or something nowadays to prove you aren’t a fake

Assuming you did kill that deer congrats though!
Posted By: borden811 Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/13/22
That’s a hell of a buck Ben! Had a decent season here. Killed a decent 8 the third day of the season, and my 9 year old shot a 6 point the second Tuesday. She killed a doe in archery season, so that left me free to work in reducing the doe population on the farms and surrounding public land. I’ve got 3 of them hanging in the walk in cooler, and will get to butcher them later this week when I get a couple days off.
Posted By: Teeder Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/13/22
Nice one, Ben.
Posted By: BLR358WIN Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/14/22
I killed a doe the first day. Killed an 8 pt on Monday. Had my daughters boyfriend in the stand with me like last year(only his 2nd year hunting). Well just like last year he missed not one but 2 doe at 40yds!! Blew my ears out again firing inside the box stand and i got hit with the empty casings in the face twice. How he let them get so close I will never know(cell phone)? I was watching 3 other deer out the opposite window when he jumped up and yelled. Was fun nonetheless. We were on my Crawford Co property, plenty of deer. I couldnt imagine NOT being in the woods on the first day. Ive even gone without a rifle because I filled my tags in archery.
I bookended the rifle season when I killed my best buck to date in 2F on the evening of the first day. He was the third legal buck I saw that day, but not the biggest.

I shot a doe back on the farm in 2B on the last day rather early into the hunt.
Posted By: BLR358WIN Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/15/22
Very nice!
Posted By: SD65 Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/16/22
Nice deer Gentlemen, congrats!

Getting Time, looks like you like those Amish Machine Guns, what chamberings?

SD
Posted By: skeen Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/16/22
Originally Posted by GettingTime
I bookended the rifle season when I killed my best buck to date in 2F on the evening of the first day. He was the third legal buck I saw that day, but not the biggest.

Nice buck, GettingTime!
Originally Posted by SD65

SD

The 760 I used on the buck is in 30-06, and the doe I killed with a 7600 in 243. I do love the way they shoulder and carry in the “big woods”. I worked with some Amish when I was younger and they loved the Rem pumps in 270.
Originally Posted by skeen

Nice buck, GettingTime!

Thank you Skeen, I wish I wouldn’t have missed his dad at point blank range earlier that day, but I get excited.
Posted By: moosemike Re: PA Rifle getting excited - 12/17/22
Originally Posted by SD65

SD

The 760 I used on the buck is in 30-06, and the doe I killed with a 7600 in 243. I do love the way they shoulder and carry in the “big woods”. I worked with some Amish when I was younger and they loved the Rem pumps in 270.
Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen Amish use anything other than 30-30 and 30-06
© 24hourcampfire