Home
Posted By: Cascade 30-30 Muley Doe at 170 yards - 12/07/22
Happy hunter here! The Henry 30-30 made meat this morning. It's topped with a little 2.5x Leupold. I handloaded the 160 grain Hornady FTX bullet. Steadied the rifle on a tripod for the shot. She was at about 170 yards. I'll be working on the meat this afternoon.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards, Guy
Posted By: JPro Re: 30-30 Muley Doe at 170 yards - 12/07/22
Sounds like a good day. I've never handled one of those Henry rifles.

Oh, and send some of that snow down this way. 81 degrees this afternoon and gross!
Originally Posted by JPro
Sounds like a good day. I've never handled one of those Henry rifles.

Oh, and send some of that snow down this way. 81 degrees this afternoon and gross!

Thanks! It was a good morning. Short hunt.

Those black synthetic stocks don't look traditional, but it sure shoots well.

Ya, it's mid-20's here in central Washington. Probably won't hit 30 today. We've had a fair bit of cold & snowy weather already this season. A little early, but it does make for nice hunting conditions.

Regards, Guy
Nice. I have shot several deer with my Marlin 24" half magazine.
Awesomeness
Very cool Cascade. I like that dirty-30.

JPro, I'm with you...well, not 81, but touching 70 with rain. Been raining the last 4 days and looks like rain the next 3 days. Warm, muddy, mess.
Congrats Cascade! I enjoy your videos on YouTube!

Ron
Posted By: jc189 Re: 30-30 Muley Doe at 170 yards - 12/07/22
Congrats on a nice shot on a good doe. Never owned a Henry. Looks like you can load it from either end of the tube. Cool lever gun. I like it.
Nice! Henry makes nice rifles
Posted By: ingwe Re: 30-30 Muley Doe at 170 yards - 12/07/22
Looks good Guy! I shot a small mule deer buck a looooong time ago with a Rem 788 in .30-30 at almost 200 yards.The gun was capable of the accuracy, as yours apparently is!
Congratulations. I don't see many people using a .30-30 anymore.
30-30 still get it done. Congrats on the shot and fine deer.
Cool! I dig the big loop lever.
Thanks guys!

It doesn't look traditional, but it surely does shoot good.

Even though this is pretty open country, sagebrush & bitterbrush, I wasn't anticipating a 170 yard shot. But that's what I got. I'd shot the Henry enough at 200 yards to know the 30-30 could do just fine.

Tell ya, that bullet made one heck of an entrance wound!

The doe must have been standing at more of an angle than I thought because the bullet ranged back through the diaphragm, tore the stomach a bit and exited the flank.

I did recover a bit of bullet, but I don't think it's over 20 grains. Out of curiosity, I'll weigh it, but it looks like just a small chunk of the bullet. That was at 170 yards, so I wonder how those bullets perform up close at higher velocity?

At any rate, it was a nice afternoon cutting up meat. smile

Regards, Guy
I have had great luck with the 160 ftx on deer / elk at 300 savage velocities.

But I never had a point blank encounter.
Well done sir.
Nice. Time for the freezer bags.

A good shooting 30/30 has always been a
capable deer gun even in the pre-Hornady Lever
ammo days
Originally Posted by Cascade

Even though this is pretty open country, sagebrush & bitterbrush, I wasn't anticipating a 170 yard shot. But that's what I got. I'd shot the Henry enough at 200 yards to know the 30-30 could do just fine.

Regards, Guy

I bet there are some reading this who are more taken aback by the 2 1/2 power scope being used outside of fifty yards than they are by the 30-30 aspect. grin
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Cascade

Regards, Guy

I bet there are some reading this who are more taken aback by the 2 1/2 power scope being used outside of fifty yards than they are by the 30-30 aspect. grin

I'd imagine so... smile

Guy
Waidmannsheil !!! Here, here, for the .30 WCF !!!
© 24hourcampfire