Home
No, not a Booner buck. Not even close. Got this cow horn buck aged at 3 1/2 late this season with a very special vintage weapon. I absolutely love taking the old stuff hunting with me and this pistol fits that description. Seven years ago I inherited my uncle’s Colt Single Action Army pistol. She’s chambered in 45 Long Colt and is a “first generation “ issue. I got Colt to send me her history and their records showed she was shipped to Richards & Conover Hardware in Kansas City on August 15, 1907. She’s 115 years old! All this time I had wanted to get a deer with this old gunfighter’s pistol and Lady Luck kissed me on the cheek that afternoon. A 260 grain lead bullet, cast by me, did the job at 30 yards.

I had several small yearling bucks in range that afternoon but held off. Then this older, larger, buck showed up and figured he fit the bill. Didn’t see much potential for future antler growth out of this guy, given his age/size. Special thanks to Kirk/Shrapnel for his load suggestions a few years ago. 6.0 grains of Red Dot under my cast bullet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Way Cool !!
That's awesome! What is the velocity of that load? Where was the hit?
That's pretty cool. Congratulations
Congrats on the buck with that ol gem! Way cool!
That’s 115 years worth of cool! Nice ol hogleg, nice buck, nice job! Congrats….I’ll bet you’re still smiling!

Doc_Holidude
Sweet. Thanks for sharing the history. Congrats.
Thanks for sharing, very cool to get that buck with that gun.
Originally Posted by KenMi
750 fps when I chronographed it
Hit right behind and a smidge higher than the “elbow”. Pretty much centered the lungs. When I found him I felt around the entrance for trauma under the hide. The tissue was wrecked in a 12” circle. That wide flat point ol Elmer Kieth designed messed him up.
Nice, thanks for sharing
Unique for sure. Congrats!
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Hit right behind and a smidge higher than the “elbow”. Pretty much centered the lungs. When I found him I felt around the entrance for trauma under the hide. The tissue was wrecked in a 12” circle. That wide flat point ol Elmer Kieth designed messed him up.

Cool deal!

454424?
cool cool cool
Very well done. Rio7
Extremely efficient and effective.

Congrats!
That’s pretty cool, Hank!
Originally Posted by mathman

Cool deal!

454424?
Originally Posted by mathman

Cool deal!

454424?
Yup!
Well done!
With a vintage firearm. Congrats.
Very cool
Congrats, That's a great story and a Great Buck. Glad everything came together for you. Now you can check that one off your list.
Way to go! The colors and bluing are In beautiful condition for a 115 year old Colt. 😊
Fantastic. Congratulations.
GREAT cull buck!!
Great pistol!
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Way to go! The colors and bluing are In beautiful condition for a 115 year old Colt. 😊
After I inherited it, it was in sad shape. I had a total refurb done on it. All original parts were retained down to the last screw. Nothing replaced, just refinished. I have since had to put a new Wolf spring in for the trigger though.
Doesn’t get any better than that. I’d Euro mount him.
Congrats man!
Great job with the old thumb buster!
Nice that you got one with the old Peacemaker! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Ron
Beautiful old Colt and a great experience with it! Those old guns still have what it takes to do the job!
That's a neat old sixgun. Congrats on your buck
Congratulations, the deer is nice, but that Colt, what a beauty…
Absolutely awesome Sir!
Excellent!
Very cool
Oh Hell Yeah!!!
Originally Posted by Hancock27
GREAT cull buck!!
Great pistol!

True on both of those!

I'm kicking myself for not taking a cull buck I should have shot last weekend. Taking one with that cool revolver/load is sweet.
That's pretty dang AWESOME !
Beautiful 6 gun !

Congrats on the deer !
Very nice!

Many would have restored a valuable old revolver and pampered it in a safe. Great to see you shooting it and hunting it....using it for the purpose it was designed for.

Well maybe utilizing it to dispatch some Marauding Rascal would be a closer use for this old Peacemaker's original designed purpose, but then it would end up in a police evidence room so maybe hold off on that.

Any info you can share as to how it was used by your relative, or does only the old revolver know those stories?
Very, very COOL !!!!
Fu*k B&C...that's a cool deer taken with an equally cool gun! Love seeing folks use stuff like that.
That revolver is in excellent condition, nice work, congratulations!
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Way Cool !!

A BIG +1
Super fine:)
Ole school cool!
Originally Posted by cv540
Very nice!

Many would have restored a valuable old revolver and pampered it in a safe. Great to see you shooting it and hunting it....using it for the purpose it was designed for.

Well maybe utilizing it to dispatch some Marauding Rascal would be a closer use for this old Peacemaker's original designed purpose, but then it would end up in a police evidence room so maybe hold off on that.

Any info you can share as to how it was used by your relative, or does only the old revolver know those stories?

Interesting story behind how I got it. My aunt and her husband, my uncle, passed away pretty close to each other and it came time for us to clean out the house and divvy up the belongings. You know the drill. My uncle, while he didn’t hunt, loved to skeet shoot and collect guns. The family knew I was the cousin/nephew that loved guns and hunting, so the guns were mine. Hallelujah!

His collection wasn’t all that big at the end but he had several nice pieces, including a Superposed 20 ga skeet, some nice twelves and a beautiful 28 gauge Charles Dayley o/u. My cousin slipped me the SAA that was in, of all places, the kitchen drawer. My only living uncle and aunt were in charge of the dispersal of everything and told me to load up the long guns, reloading equipment, etc…..but the SAA stays. It was a pistol you see and they thought all pistols should be confiscated and destroyed. Oh boy….confrontation coming and I’ll be damned if I’m handing that pistol over. I explained to my aunt and uncle that Uncle Bill had promised me that pistol when I was a little boy! If you bring it by the sheriff’s department it will NOT be melted down but rather, smuggled out by whomever took it in. It’s collectible and needs to stay in the family I explained. They were still concerned it would somehow get back on the street and murder someone all by itself. 😖

I promised them I’d keep it in my safe and that would never happen and they nodded their heads agreeing. Glad a showdown was averted. No way I was turning that pistol over.
Awesome story GD.. That was pretty cool. Smooth talking!
Best thing I've seen on the internet today! Awesome all the way 'round.
Very nice!

Interesting story behind how I got it. My aunt and her husband, my uncle, passed away pretty close to each other and it came time for us to clean out the house and divvy up the belongings. You know the drill. My uncle, while he didn’t hunt, loved to skeet shoot and collect guns. The family knew I was the cousin/nephew that loved guns and hunting, so the guns were mine. Hallelujah!

His collection wasn’t all that big at the end but he had several nice pieces, including a Superposed 20 ga skeet, some nice twelves and a beautiful 28 gauge Charles Dayley o/u. My cousin slipped me the SAA that was in, of all places, the kitchen drawer. My only living uncle and aunt were in charge of the dispersal of everything and told me to load up the long guns, reloading equipment, etc…..but the SAA stays. It was a pistol you see and they thought all pistols should be confiscated and destroyed. Oh boy….confrontation coming and I’ll be damned if I’m handing that pistol over. I explained to my aunt and uncle that Uncle Bill had promised me that pistol when I was a little boy! If you bring it by the sheriff’s department it will NOT be melted down but rather, smuggled out by whomever took it in. It’s collectible and needs to stay in the family I explained. They were still concerned it would somehow get back on the street and murder someone all by itself. 😖

I promised them I’d keep it in my safe and that would never happen and they nodded their heads agreeing. Glad a showdown was averted. No way I was turning that pistol over.

Happy you saved it from a fate unbecoming a dignified survivor. Take it out again next season and perhaps while holding it in the quiet of a woodland deer stand she will whisper stories of raucous 1907 Kansas City gambling houses.
Awesome!
Excellent on so many levels.
Very nice!

Happy you saved it from a fate unbecoming a dignified survivor. Take it out again next season and perhaps while holding it in the quiet of a woodland deer stand she will whisper stories of raucous 1907 Kansas City gambling houses.

Love that!
That gun is in nice shape. Sure wish it was mine.
Wow! What a BEAUTY! You don't see many in that condition!

Congrats Hank!
That Colt is in remarkable condition. What a great story!
Badass!!! Congrats
SnT
That is just Badazz all the way around.
Super cool!
Hank, What a great back story on the Peacemaker. I remember you having it restored a few years ago.

Congrats on taking a Buck with the Colt. Bonus for removing that spike from the heard.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Hank, What a great back story on the Peacemaker. I remember you having it restored a few years ago.

Congrats on taking a Buck with the Colt. Bonus for removing that spike from the heard.
Thanks so much Clay! Hope you’re doing well.
Very cool that you got to check this off your bucket list. 👍🏼

That is one of the nicest condition 1st generation SAA I’ve ever seen. That thing looks practically new with great case hardening. Awesome all the way around.
Congratulations!
Enjoyed the story goods. Did Turnbull do the restoration sure looks good? Great save on the revolver from naive relatives. That buck will eat great. Best thread in a long while...mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Enjoyed the story goods. Did Turnbull do the restoration sure looks good? Great save on the revolver from naive relatives. That buck will eat great. Best thread in a long while...mb
Schwarz Gun restoration in East Elljay, GA. Up in the mountains. Bill is a master at what he does. Vintage guns only…he will not bore sight your 700. He’s an unbelievable storehouse of information on any vintage gun and at any time, has guns shipped in from all over the country to his little shop. Interesting man. Had a wolf for a pet (one of those that was for all intents and purposes 95%). Huge. Wouldn’t let you get anywhere near him……just give you that better-not-mess-with-me look. Bill would eventually look at him and say something like “Hank’s ok, quit lookin at him like that!” Then he’d come up beside me and we’d be buddies after that.

Bill has worked on several LC Smiths for me, bedding them, opening up chokes, or total restorations. His color case hardening process is different for each gun, matching the results to the original. A Fox will look like Fox’s color case, LC’s, Parker’s, etc. All done at about 1/3 the cost of Turnbull. One LC he totally restored for me was finished right before the NRA meeting in Atlanta. Mine was a challenge….there was zero finish anywhere on the gun. Picked it up and then headed to Atl and saw the exact same gun at Turnbull’s display. The two guns were indistinguishable. Except the $$.
So what if it ain't a B & C buck? I'm sure that will always be one of your most memorable hunting experiences. What a cool story, and thanks for posting it.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
So what if it ain't a B & C buck? I'm sure that will always be one of your most memorable hunting experiences. What a cool story, and thanks for posting it.
Thank you! Much appreciated.
© 24hourcampfire