Home
Posted By: DaveinWV Round nose bullets - 02/18/23
I wish I would have stocked up on them when they were made. Not many choices now.
What caliber are you looking for?
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Round nose bullets - 02/18/23
Got a good supply at a local estate auction a few years ago. Dynamite box full of bullets, didn't get to look through before bidding happened. What calibers/weights you looking for, have some I'll likely never use.
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: Round nose bullets - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Got a good supply at a local estate auction a few years ago. Dynamite box full of bullets, didn't get to look through before bidding happened. What calibers/weights you looking for, have some I'll likely never use.

Got any .348 you don't plan on using ? Always on the hunt for Core Lokt and Silvertips to keep my 71 fed or 200 grain Core Lokt RN for .35 Remington.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Round nose bullets - 02/18/23
7mm 140gr or 150gr. 165gr .308.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/18/23
I got an email a while back from remington. I asked if they would ever consider selling 30 caliber 180 grain roundnose bullets. They said keep checking their site for them. Hopefully they will sell them. I've been using sierra or hornady roundnose bullets when I can find them
Posted By: bluefish Re: Round nose bullets - 02/18/23
I like 180 RNs in my 06
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Round nose bullets - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I got an email a while back from remington. I asked if they would ever consider selling 30 caliber 180 grain roundnose bullets. They said keep checking their site for them. Hopefully they will sell them. I've been using sierra or hornady roundnose bullets when I can find them
I bought some off the classifieds a few years ago. 180gr RN Corelokts are "the poor man's partitions!"
Posted By: bluefish Re: Round nose bullets - 02/20/23
But "the deadliest mushroom in the woods".
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/20/23
I looked on remingtons site for their roundnose component bullets. They list the 180 grain roundnose, but it is unavailable. So apparently they're eventually going to sell them. I hope
Posted By: hanco Re: Round nose bullets - 02/20/23
I had a Sako 270 that didn’t like anything but round nose bullets
Posted By: buffybr Re: Round nose bullets - 02/21/23
I don't like the low ballistic coeficients of round nose bullets, so even though I've never shot a big game animal at over 350 yards, I've never seen a use for them in my rifles other than my lever action Winchesters.

However, I have shot a ton of round nose jacketed ball ammo in my .45 acp and 9mm pistols.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/21/23
I just loaded up 20 hornady 180 grain roundnoses on my 308. I never liked roundnose bullets either. I shot a few deer with them, and now I use them almost exclusively. Most of our in the woods shots are really long bow shots. Plus, the load I use in my 308 is super accurate.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Round nose bullets - 02/21/23
I loaded 20 rounds of 308 with 150gr RN Sierras for a Ruger Hawkeye I'm buying off the classifieds. Shots are usually less than 100 yards and I'm mounting a Leupold Big Bore 3 scope on it.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Round nose bullets - 02/21/23
Are most .30cal. 150gr. RN bullets designed to work at .30-30Win. speeds, or are some made tougher?
Posted By: GrimJim Re: Round nose bullets - 02/21/23
I enjoy the Hornady 180 grain round nose bullet in several of my .308s. It is accurate and effective. For several years I bought 5 or so boxes whenever they were on sale. I can't find them any more but I have more than enough to last me through my last hunt and trip to the range-whenever they occur.

GrimJim
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Round nose bullets - 02/21/23
Originally Posted by JD45
Are most .30cal. 150gr. RN bullets designed to work at .30-30Win. speeds, or are some made tougher?

Sierra makes flat nose bullets for the 30-30 and lists the BC for the RN at 2700 and less. Other than that I can't say. I have shot a doe with a Sierra 150gr RN from a 300 Savage and got great results.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Round nose bullets - 02/21/23
There is magic in a 220 grain rn from an 06.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/22/23
Originally Posted by bluefish
+1
Posted By: boomwack Re: Round nose bullets - 02/22/23
+2

Killed my first deer long ago with a 30-06 with a 180 gr. Round nose core-lokt. A shot from about 25 yards looked like you pushed the deer sideways then stumbled off another 20-ish yards and fell over dead.

Didn't realize what a good thing that big round bullet was for deer or any big game till shooting a few other animals with pointy bullets. I noticed how most the time the critter would manage to travel just a little further or did not react at the shot like that first deer did.

In my .280 the 165 gr. Soft point core lokt is a favorite load. This load just slaps deer down fast consistently complete with nice large exit every time.

Shot a 200 lb black bear with that load broadside around 50 yards, it simply just fell over dead, not a twitch. Only bone hit was a rib in and two rib on the exit. Yet to have another bear done in that fast with the same hit, that's including A 338 win mag and a 45-70 on other bears.

To bad the round nose seems to be vanishing....
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Round nose bullets - 02/22/23
Originally Posted by boomwack
+2

Too bad the round nose seems to be vanishing....

Too many people have been taught that there's an
invisible force field at the 100 yard mark that makes
anything other than a pointed tip bullet turn and
plow into the ground.
Most of them say " . . well it'll be a fine brush gun. . "
Posted By: boomwack Re: Round nose bullets - 02/22/23
Round nose bullets imply actual 'hunting'. Spot 'n' stock, stand or wait in ambush. Could take all day or over in minutes....

The 'hunting' anymore seems to be lots of dialing on turrets, ranging, spotting scopes and really long hollow point match bullets.

I don't mind the second one, but the first one is more my speed
Posted By: JD45 Re: Round nose bullets - 02/22/23
I called Sierra. They said the #2135 was designed for the .308Win. (150gr. RN).

They plan to make a run in 150gr. for .30-30Win. soon. And they also make a 125 and 170gr. for that cartridge.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Round nose bullets - 02/22/23
I just bought 300 .30 cal. Horn. rn in Murdocks.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/23/23
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I wish I could find some of those.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Round nose bullets - 02/23/23

Scheels has them too. I just bought some for my 30-30 a few days ago. $33/box.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Round nose bullets - 02/23/23
Shot my biggest buck with a Hornady 180gr. RN in .308 and have taken several with Hornady 200gr. RN in .35 Whelen. As a matter of fact that bullet in .35 Whelen with IMR 3031 is the most accurate I've ever shot, 3 shot groups @ 100yds. are often tight little cloverleafs.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Round nose bullets - 02/23/23
I have enough 30 caliber 150 and 170 grain bullets. I shoot them in my 30-30's and 30-40's. I think if you have almost any manufacturer's bullets, the manufacturer will list the recommended velocity for the bullet. Generally, I've had good luck with RN bullets. I have some 220 grain Partitions that shoot under 1 MOA in my 300 Weatherby. I had some 180 RN bullets that a 742, which I had, preferred. I shot a buck at about 10 feet with that bullet in 1971 in Missouri, don't think wind drift was a problem. I had a 280 that preferred heavy flat nose SPEER bullets, I think SPEER called them mag-tips.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/23/23
Just checked on Scheels web site. No 30 caliber 180 grain round nose
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
Killed my first deer long ago with a 30-06 with a 180 gr. Round nose core-lokt. A shot from about 25 yards looked like you pushed the deer sideways then stumbled off another 20-ish yards and fell over dead.

Didn't realize what a good thing that big round bullet was for deer or any big game till shooting a few other animals with pointy bullets. I noticed how most the time the critter would manage to travel just a little further or did not react at the shot like that first deer did.

In my .280 the 165 gr. Soft point core lokt is a favorite load. This load just slaps deer down fast consistently complete with nice large exit every time.

Shot a 200 lb black bear with that load broadside around 50 yards, it simply just fell over dead, not a twitch. Only bone hit was a rib in and two rib on the exit. Yet to have another bear done in that fast with the same hit, that's including A 338 win mag and a 45-70 on other bears.

User ID checks out, LOL.

I'm a fan of RN bullets. I can see why those who hunt wide open spaces with long shots choose spitzers, but RNs work well in excess of the range woods and thick area hunting requires in the right cartridges.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23

No, but they have 150's. I'll bet that is what wyocoyotehunter bought at murdocs. Also, the picture I posted was of 150gr Hornady RN interlocks.
Posted By: boomwack Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

User ID checks out, LOL.

I'm a fan of RN bullets. I can see why those who hunt wide open spaces with long shots choose spitzers, but RNs work well in excess of the range woods and thick area hunting requires in the right cartridges.

I just seem to end up in the close stuff alot. Longest shot I have successfully pulled off was 500 yards two years ago. Bullet was a sleek 25 cal accubond spit from my 25-06 on a whitetail buck.

This past season a spike elk fell to a 175 gr. Nosler partition from the 7mm rem mag at 50-ish yards.... Complete mis-use of a Spitzer bullet. Few weeks later a small whitetail buck tipped over from a single 150 gr. core lokt tipped bullet from the same 7mm rem mag...Range 120 yards, Another bullet misapplication.

The closer they are, the easier it is to drill'em good. Under 200 yards covers most of my hunting. Don't always use round nose bullets, but when I do they never fail to impress and make me smile.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No, but they have 150's. I'll bet that is what wyocoyotehunter bought at murdocs. Also, the picture I posted was of 150gr Hornady RN interlocks.
Yes sir you are correct. They have the 150's
Posted By: GreggH Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
Bought a bunch of the 25 caliber 117 Hornady bullets. Going to play with them in my 257 Roberts. Grabbed some 175 RN for the 7x57 as well. Have never used any RN in the field. Going to remedy that this year.

GreggH
Posted By: boomwack Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
Greggh, 175 gr. round nose bullets and a 7x57 is meant to be. Two friends of mine back in our younger years shot 7x57 rifles. One in a nice m-77 ruger and the other a well did sporterized mauser, Both used a 175 yr rn bullets for a while and the game piled up. Not one bullet was found in anything and that counts one large old bull elk, a 400 some pound black bear and several deer.

My observations when I was along twice for deer was an obvious hit and short well laid blood trail. Both buds claimed thats how it happens every time with anything.

Again, not overly long range neither. The deer I saw get shot were under 100 yards, pretty sure all game was under 200 yards.
Posted By: jfw042 Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
Have been shooting 180 gr round nose in 1895 Winchester .30-40, 220 gr round nose in 1895 Winchester .30-06. 180’s are Sierra, 220’s are Hornady. Starting buying whenever I saw them years ago assuming they would eventually be discontinued. Still find a box occasionally at gun shows.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23

I'm hoping they keep making them. I realize they are not as popular as pointy bullets, but they work pretty good in my new 30-30. I know my grandpa killed a lot of deer with his using similar bullets. I also bought some 170gr RN bullets from a local shop, but they only had 1 box of those on the shelf. I snagged them for about the same price as the 150's. What are you using the 180gr RN in?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
Round nose bullets just plain work....

A lot of old timers used them in our youth, because they knew they worked.... back in the days where most hunting was not done at 500 yds.
People got closer...

Nowadays you're not a Real Stud, unless all the game you shoot is at 500 to 1000 yds or more...

Hunt use to be done to put meat in the freezer... Nowadays its to put bragging pictures on the internet and have arguments with everyone else on how better you are than them...

They are clueless that there are many more than aren't really impressed with all their bragging... no one who's been around here for a while, need to try and guess who the usual suspects are...

Anyone can shoot something at 50 yds and then put a sign in front of the dead animal that says 971 yds....and then post pics of it on the internet..
and start insulting anyone who questions it...

I don't compete with everyone else in who's the greatest hunter and shooter contest. I go out and if I bring home something... Great.
If I don't, I enjoy the fact of being able to go out in the field for the day, which beats sitting at anchor on the home front and making the wife happy that I am out raking leaves, mowing the lawn, fixing her car etc.

Life doesn't have to be as hard as some of the campfire clown bragging squad make it...

A good hit on an animal, a round nose has never ever failed me to perform... regardless of distance... fancy dancy bullets have failed me...
I look for something that does what a round nose does.. perform... NOT look for something that is expensive so I can brag to everyone on the internet on how I use bullets that are expensive..

After reading the optics arguments that are going on the last couple of days.... I have a new Arkin scope coming in a few days from cameraland... but I'll let the campfire in on a little secret... in my life time, I've taken more deer with a Tasco or low end Bushnell and Leupold VX 2, than all these fancier scopes.... I enjoy the features on these scope types, they are handy over at the range at distance, when the target isn't moving... in the field where the animal is moving...an old Tasco or Leupold is handier and quicker...

Being able to set up and have a nice rest... its not that hard to be able to shoot an unknowing animal at 600 yds, meandering along...
What do people want? To take down something or have a bragging rights contest on the internet for the next 6 weeks?

I'd wager there are a lot more folks like me, than the small number of braggards, and the groupies that follow them, you'll find on any internet site.
This one included....

In growing up, by junior high, I figured out that those that have to brag about everything and 'how good they are'.. are usually people who are covering up something they don't want others to know.... from how insecure they really are...to trying to cover up on having a ridiculously short dick.
Braggards always have something they are trying to cover up, by drawing attention away from their negatives in life... guys with the big 1 ton pickups, with the big lift and the big tires are another example...

How many game animals are shot at 1000 yrds each season, with someone who has a $3000 rifie with a $2000 scope on top vs the number taken with a 30/30 and a 4 power Tasco or Bushnell on top? I'd say a whole lot more of the latter than of the former...

Round Nose bullets WORK, but sadly spendier bullets SELL... in the end tho, either one accomplishes the same thing...
Posted By: 8MMX57JS Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
Round nose bullets have been doing good for me. 170gr Hornady have never failed me at 8x57 velocities, the 196 Norma Dual cores have been one of the best I've tried. Shot a medium sized black bear on the run, rear end shot and came out the chest, I couldn't believe the amount of penetration that bullet went through. Bear dropped on the spot!
I also plan on trying 250gr RN Woodleighs in the near future out of the 8mm-06 @ 2450fps

Posted By: Joe Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
I have a stash of 154 gr. .284" Hornady RN I use in my 7x57 and 7x64 and a few left of 180 gr. .308" Winchester Power Points for the '06. They will suffice for all my needs as the longest distance I've shot since 1967 has been 125 yards.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23

I'm hoping they keep making them. I realize they are not as popular as pointy bullets, but they work pretty good in my new 30-30. I know my grandpa killed a lot of deer with his using similar bullets. I also bought some 170gr RN bullets from a local shop, but they only had 1 box of those on the shelf. I snagged them for about the same price as the 150's. What are you using the 180gr RN in?
308 winchester, remington 7600 carbine
Posted By: GreggH Re: Round nose bullets - 02/24/23
Boom’ . My mentor in my field used the 257 Roberts with round nose bullets. Watched him shoot 3 deer as fast as he could work the bolt. Not one moved. The 7x57 is a Ruger ranger. It just seems right to use the 175 Round nose for it. Located a 100 pcs of nickel brass to add to the visual.

GreggH
Posted By: boomwack Re: Round nose bullets - 02/25/23
Originally Posted by GreggH
Boom’ . My mentor in my field used the 257 Roberts with round nose bullets. Watched him shoot 3 deer as fast as he could work the bolt. Not one moved. The 7x57 is a Ruger ranger. It just seems right to use the 175 Round nose for it. Located a 100 pcs of nickel brass to add to the visual.

GreggH

GreggH, I have some OLD nosler lathe turned 25 cal 117 gr. Semi-spitzer. Out of 20 rounds loaded in my .257 Roberts there is 7 left. Between my kids, other relatives me and a few misses, most of the 13 rounds fired accounted for just a 'few' deer and a coyote.

That bullet cartridge combo Seems to have something to it. Everyone that used it had no problem shooting and anchoring animals. At the shot deer either dropped or acted very obviously hit.

As some one mentioned earlier, 'there's magic in them'....
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Round nose bullets - 02/25/23

308 winchester, remington 7600 carbine

I have one shop/honey hole that I go to every once in a while. I'll check with them and see if they have any. If they do, I'll grab some. This old guy I know has a lot of bullets in his shop. I go there and look around at all his stuff for hours. He's gotten wise and has raised a lot of his prices though. He also sells on gunbroker, but there is a good chance he has some.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Round nose bullets - 02/25/23
Originally Posted by Seafire
Round nose bullets just plain work....

A lot of old timers used them in our youth, because they knew they worked.... back in the days where most hunting was not done at 500 yds.
People got closer...

Nowadays you're not a Real Stud, unless all the game you shoot is at 500 to 1000 yds or more...

Hunt use to be done to put meat in the freezer... Nowadays its to put bragging pictures on the internet and have arguments with everyone else on how better you are than them...

They are clueless that there are many more than aren't really impressed with all their bragging... no one who's been around here for a while, need to try and guess who the usual suspects are...

Anyone can shoot something at 50 yds and then put a sign in front of the dead animal that says 971 yds....and then post pics of it on the internet..
and start insulting anyone who questions it...

I don't compete with everyone else in who's the greatest hunter and shooter contest. I go out and if I bring home something... Great.
If I don't, I enjoy the fact of being able to go out in the field for the day, which beats sitting at anchor on the home front and making the wife happy that I am out raking leaves, mowing the lawn, fixing her car etc.

Life doesn't have to be as hard as some of the campfire clown bragging squad make it...

A good hit on an animal, a round nose has never ever failed me to perform... regardless of distance... fancy dancy bullets have failed me...
I look for something that does what a round nose does.. perform... NOT look for something that is expensive so I can brag to everyone on the internet on how I use bullets that are expensive..

After reading the optics arguments that are going on the last couple of days.... I have a new Arkin scope coming in a few days from cameraland... but I'll let the campfire in on a little secret... in my life time, I've taken more deer with a Tasco or low end Bushnell and Leupold VX 2, than all these fancier scopes.... I enjoy the features on these scope types, they are handy over at the range at distance, when the target isn't moving... in the field where the animal is moving...an old Tasco or Leupold is handier and quicker...

Being able to set up and have a nice rest... its not that hard to be able to shoot an unknowing animal at 600 yds, meandering along...
What do people want? To take down something or have a bragging rights contest on the internet for the next 6 weeks?

I'd wager there are a lot more folks like me, than the small number of braggards, and the groupies that follow them, you'll find on any internet site.
This one included....

In growing up, by junior high, I figured out that those that have to brag about everything and 'how good they are'.. are usually people who are covering up something they don't want others to know.... from how insecure they really are...to trying to cover up on having a ridiculously short dick.
Braggards always have something they are trying to cover up, by drawing attention away from their negatives in life... guys with the big 1 ton pickups, with the big lift and the big tires are another example...

How many game animals are shot at 1000 yrds each season, with someone who has a $3000 rifie with a $2000 scope on top vs the number taken with a 30/30 and a 4 power Tasco or Bushnell on top? I'd say a whole lot more of the latter than of the former...

Round Nose bullets WORK, but sadly spendier bullets SELL... in the end tho, either one accomplishes the same thing...

As long as they keep schidt honest, I could care less. I agree with you though, why do they always want to brag about the antlers they got? You can't eat the antlers. I'll shoot a spike bull or cow every chance I get, especially in the very low hunter's success rate area I hunt.

I've been playing with a new 30-30 rifle and that thing seems to like round nosed bullets well enough. I need to get a new/smaller front sight insert, or I'd post some pics of how it shoots. Not bragging of course. If guys think honest targets are bragging, they can kiss my azz.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Round nose bullets - 02/25/23
Originally Posted by 8MMX57JS
Round nose bullets have been doing good for me. 170gr Hornady have never failed me at 8x57 velocities, the 196 Norma Dual cores have been one of the best I've tried. Shot a medium sized black bear on the run, rear end shot and came out the chest, I couldn't believe the amount of penetration that bullet went through. Bear dropped on the spot!
I also plan on trying 250gr RN Woodleighs in the near future out of the 8mm-06 @ 2450fps

That 250 grain Woodleigh in that 8mm/06, just looks RIGHT! and all business like...

no doubt about it hitting in the right spot, It will down an awfully big animal just fine...

I sure like the 250 grain Hornady RN in my 338/06, out the muzzle at 2650 fps...
Posted By: bbassi Re: Round nose bullets - 02/25/23
I love my round nose in 35 and 308, but I somehow ended up with a small stash of 175gr 7mm that I'll never use. It's only 45 and 2 different makers but if someone wants to trade me straight up for 200gr 35cal of any flavor send me a PM. There's 30 of the lower ones and 15 of the ones on top. Only one looks like it's been pulled so I included it in the picture. I'm not interested in selling them outright at this time.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Round nose bullets - 02/25/23
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
I wish I would have stocked up on them when they were made. Not many choices now.

Speer Grand Slams are pretty close... and Woodleigh should be up and running soon.

GR
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/25/23
I found a box of hornady 175 grain roundnose I had stashed for my 7X57 Mauser.
Posted By: Shoot2hunt Re: Round nose bullets - 02/25/23
Perfect for brush forest, obviously not ideal for Prarie long shooting, just drops too fast, I think it's like everything use it in application it is designed for and enjoy
Posted By: bluefish Re: Round nose bullets - 02/25/23
Look at.300 yard ballistics for 7mm and 30 cal rn vs pointed bullets. Not.ad.much as one.may think.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 02/26/23
Anyone ever used the norma alaskan 30 caliber 180 grain roundnose?
Posted By: patch123 Re: Round nose bullets - 02/26/23
Anyone use 6.5 Hornady 160 grain roundnose? Could be good in a Swede or Creed. Any results from the field?
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Round nose bullets - 02/27/23
This guy will make you about any configuration bullet, round nose or otherwise, that you want:

https://npcustombullets.com/
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Round nose bullets - 02/28/23
I like 180 RNs in my 06
Me too. I just think they look "old school cool".
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Round nose bullets - 02/28/23
There are some.308/220’s in the Classifieds.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-220-gr-round-nose-308-2180#Post18185759
Posted By: ChipM Re: Round nose bullets - 02/28/23
I stocked up a few years ago on 154 RN's for my 7-08. Shots are close to mid range where I hunt, they are extremely accurate in my guns and work better than they really should. I have a 308 now and would love to find 165 RN's but might be a unicorn, 180's or even a 150 meant to be pushed harder than 30-30 velocity will do
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Round nose bullets - 02/28/23
I have quite a few Hornady 154 RN's I use in 7x57, they work well on our little whitetails here.

I may have some .30 cal Speer 150 Hot Cores I bought for a .308 Savage 99, will check.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Round nose bullets - 03/01/23

Last deer I took with one of those was a good sized buck in northern Wisconsin.. It was about 300 yds across a big marsh, at the end of a small lake..

I had to walk about a mile around the swamp to get to where it was shot... when I found it, it only had a small entrance hole on one side, just behind the heart, and a small exit hole on the off side.. with about 5 or 6 corn kernels laying in the blood...

Evidently he had dropped immediately at the shot... there would not have been a blood trail..and there was no snow on the ground to help track him anyway...

Went and got my stuff to gut him.. even tho he had only a small entrance hole from the 220 gr RN and a small exit hole on the other side, when he was cut open, his chest cavity looked as if I had stirred it with a chain saw...lung were like a big bowl of spaghetti, did the same to the top of the liver, cut the esophagus also in half... spleen and pancreas didn't look too hot either...

the deer cleaned out at 250 pounds at the check station weight scale...5 or 6 y/o northern Wisconsin buck...

Round noses work! those old 220 grain RN are bad ass, supposedly they don't hit with anything more than 1300 ft pounds at 300 yds...
but that .330 sectional density, sure can plow thru a lot of deer anatomy at 300 yds and beyond.

I've also taken deer in 6mm/ 243 with the Hornady 100 gr RN and the Sierra 6mm SMP both of days long gone by...

I've got a box or two of the Hornady 100 RN still around and about 4 unopened boxes of the Sierra 100 Gr SMP...

whatr I wish I had a ton of, but have never used... the old Hornady 129 and 140 gr Round Noses in 6.5 mm....I have taken several deer with the old Sierra and Hornady 160 gr RNs... same with the 154 and 175 gr RNs in 7 mm... in 7 x 57....

Not a round nose, but don't take the old Speer 150 gr FN for granted... it works as good as any round nose...
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Round nose bullets - 03/01/23
Originally Posted by Joe
I have a stash of 154 gr. .284" Hornady RN I use in my 7x57 and 7x64 and a few left of 180 gr. .308" Winchester Power Points for the '06. They will suffice for all my needs as the longest distance I've shot since 1967 has been 125 yards.
Love that 154 gr RN in my 7mm-08 A-bolt! Those rounds just have a great look to them that says “deer hunting”.
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Round nose bullets - 03/01/23
I have some, which I tried in a .307 Winchester. Too slow out of that 16.25” barrel…disappointing accuracy. Will load some up in my ‘06. I’ll bet we’ll get much better results. Hope I can find another box somewhere.

What did shoot well in the 1:10 twist short barrel was the Nosler 170 gr RN Partition. Shot a small buck with one last fall. Turned him upside down in a hurry.
Posted By: Joe Re: Round nose bullets - 03/01/23
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Originally Posted by Joe
Love that 154 gr RN in my 7mm-08 A-bolt! Those rounds just have a great look to them that says “deer hunting”.

Absolutely!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Round nose bullets - 03/01/23
I have some, which I tried in a .307 Winchester. Too slow out of that 16.25” barrel…disappointing accuracy. Will load some up in my ‘06. I’ll bet we’ll get much better results. Hope I can find another box somewhere.

What did shoot well in the 1:10 twist short barrel was the Nosler 170 gr RN Partition. Shot a small buck with one last fall. Turned him upside down in a hurry.

I have a AE m94 in 307 with some factory 180 gr fn power pts been trying to figure out what bullet to use when I replace them. Thank you for the idea on the 170 npt..mb
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Round nose bullets - 03/02/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

I have a AE m94 in 307 with some factory 180 gr fn power pts been trying to figure out what bullet to use when I replace them. Thank you for the idea on the 170 npt..mb
My Marlin is 1:10 twist. Your 94 AE is 1:12, IIRC? (I used to own one; too pretty to hunt!) Try that 170 gr NPT over 43gr of Varget or 37gr of Accurate 2015. You’ll like the tiny groups.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Round nose bullets - 03/02/23
Never used then except in a 30-30, as a kid Rem factory loads.

Reading this has me thinking.
Somewhere I have an bag with about 30 unidentified 6.5 RN.
Long suckers, 160s probably. And a full box of old Herters .263 RN.

Mind hates the idea of using them, but 200 yards is max in most of the
places the Swede hunts. Wouldn't miss what is given up.

But what if I love them?
Be a PITA to find more.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Round nose bullets - 03/02/23
DB you don't know till you try. Some 160 rn's will turn up if you like them.

Mb
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Round nose bullets - 03/02/23
I've taken by far more deer with round nose bullets than pointy ones. 150 and 170 grain out of my .30-30's and 180 grain out of my 06's. High BC pointy bullets are simply not needed at the distances I kill my deer.
Posted By: Mideer3006 Re: Round nose bullets - 03/02/23
Any one use the speer .30 cal. 165 rn in 308 or 30'06? Was going to try them last year in 06 , ended up using something else.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Round nose bullets - 03/02/23
I've killed deer with 180 gr RN 30-06 and 170 gr 30-30. They worked just fine, but I don't believe for a second they work better than pointed bullets. I've killed deer and bear with pointed bullets, and they all died just the same. I mistakenly picked up a box of 150 gr RN bullets several years ago and tried loading them in my 308. Accuracy results were not good. That may well have been a fluke and I can see some rifles being more accurate with RN bullets.

High BC pointy bullets are simply not needed at the distances I kill my deer.

Maybe not, but here is the point you're missing. A high BC 180 gr bullet fired from a 30-06 @ 2800 fps will impact with more speed at 75 yards and beyond than a RN 180 gr bullet fired from a 300 WM @3000 fps. It's not about trajectory, the 300 WM still shoots flatter out to any reasonable hunting range, but at only 75 yards the high BC bullet impacts with more speed. And 75 yards isn't long range.

That same high BC 180 gr bullet fired from a 308 @ 2600 fps will catch up to the 300 WM at only 175 yards. If I can fire a 308, with 1/2 the recoil of a 300 WM, and beat 300 WM RN performance at 175 yards or beyond, I'll choose 308 and high BC bullets every time. I didn't run the numbers comparing 308 to 30-06 but would expect similar results. 308 with high BC bullets should beat 30-06 RN inside of 100 yards.

RN bullets do expand better at low velocity. And it is a good thing, because they will be impacting at lower speeds. Pointed bullets of the same weight may need more speed to expand, but once again they will be impacting faster.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Round nose bullets - 03/03/23
Originally Posted by Mideer3006
Any one use the speer .30 cal. 165 rn in 308 or 30'06? Was going to try them last year in 06 , ended up using something else.

Stumbled into a couple of boxes at LGS recently. I’m going to give them a whirl in a recently acquired 300 Sav. Speer says they were discontinued quite a while ago.

Dale
Posted By: bluefish Re: Round nose bullets - 03/03/23
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've killed deer with 180 gr RN 30-06 and 170 gr 30-30. They worked just fine, but I don't believe for a second they work better than pointed bullets. I've killed deer and bear with pointed bullets, and they all died just the same. I mistakenly picked up a box of 150 gr RN bullets several years ago and tried loading them in my 308. Accuracy results were not good. That may well have been a fluke and I can see some rifles being more accurate with RN bullets.

Maybe not, but here is the point you're missing. A high BC 180 gr bullet fired from a 30-06 @ 2800 fps will impact with more speed at 75 yards and beyond than a RN 180 gr bullet fired from a 300 WM @3000 fps. It's not about trajectory, the 300 WM still shoots flatter out to any reasonable hunting range, but at only 75 yards the high BC bullet impacts with more speed. And 75 yards isn't long range.

That same high BC 180 gr bullet fired from a 308 @ 2600 fps will catch up to the 300 WM at only 175 yards. If I can fire a 308, with 1/2 the recoil of a 300 WM, and beat 300 WM RN performance at 175 yards or beyond, I'll choose 308 and high BC bullets every time. I didn't run the numbers comparing 308 to 30-06 but would expect similar results. 308 with high BC bullets should beat 30-06 RN inside of 100 yards.

RN bullets do expand better at low velocity. And it is a good thing, because they will be impacting at lower speeds. Pointed bullets of the same weight may need more speed to expand, but once again they will be impacting faster.

And the rn impacts with more.frontal area when she hits home. I can say at woods.distances rn bullets hit like a freight train.
Posted By: TonyRumore Re: Round nose bullets - 03/04/23
I shot 100 grain Hornady round nose bullets in my 243 for many years. That bullet dropped deer and hogs like they were hit by a bolt of lightning.

Tony
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Round nose bullets - 03/05/23
I was out to the local Scheels store yesterday they had a nice supply of primers all except large rifle. They also had the best selection of centerfire rifle ammo I've seen in over 2 years. They must have gotten atleast 5 cases of Remington 150 gr SP 270 winchester loads maybe more. These are soft point round nose Corelokts. Most of the 270 users I know shoot 1 pointed bullet or another from 130 to 150 grains. They had a lot of 270 ammo Norma, ww, federal it will be interesting to see how long the 150 gr rn Remington ammo lasts. I have a 50 rd ammo box I loaded with 150 gr rn corelokts I bought a long time a go for my 270 m7600 pump. I might even buy a couple boxes of factory loads to compare against my own. Did not see any rn loads in 308 or 30-06.. mb
Posted By: texken Re: Round nose bullets - 03/05/23
when I started reloading I went overboard and bought enough for two people, now I am glad I did
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Round nose bullets - 03/05/23
Allways buy more than you need as a hedge against times when supply is short. Another point is just as simple is price, your money in a passbook acct isn't earning you squat but components are higher every time you buy them. The bullets, primers, and powder don't rot if correctly stored whether you are a 1 box or less dude or a 1000+ round a year shooter. It's nobodies responsibility but yours to have the things you need on hand...mb
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Round nose bullets - 03/05/23
Some folks search for the best accuracy or the fastest velocity. Once I get enough accuracy, I want the best terminal ballistics for my hunting.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 03/05/23
Some folks search for the best accuracy or the fastest velocity. Once I get enough accuracy, I want the best terminal ballistics for my hunting.
+1
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Round nose bullets - 03/05/23
Originally Posted by JMR40

I'm not missing any point at all. I don't need my bullets to hit one bit faster or harder than they do. They kill deer PERFECTLY fine just the way they are. More velocity at impact simply isn't needed. I have killed nearly 100 deer well and truly dead with round nosed bullets fired from my .30-30's. They have all died quickly with well placed shots.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 03/06/23
Just ordered 3 boxes of 180 grain roundnose hornady's from optics planet. They say they have 14 boxes left
Posted By: Railman Re: Round nose bullets - 03/06/23
Many years ago I loaded and used the old Hornady 100 grain round nose in my 243 for woods hunting. Loaded to around 2600 FPS or so, they would absolutely hammer a whitetail deer. They worked perfectly at woods ranges and always had a pass through along with a big exit hole. Wish they were still made.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 03/06/23
Just got an email. My bullets were shipped.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Round nose bullets - 03/09/23
It's widely known in the cast bullet world the bigger the meplat the more effective the bullet. Velocity at any distance is not the only factor in bullet effectiveness. Most cast bullets are fired at under 2,000 FPS and the game is still very dead. In many ways the round nosed bullets are more effective than the pointy ones.
Good luck, and take care to all!
Rick
Posted By: foureyes4 Re: Round nose bullets - 03/09/23
Back in the early 1970 our local hardware store ended up with a dozen boxes of Winchester 117 grain RN .257 Roberts ammo (someone had miss-ordered). It sat on the shelves for a couple years not selling any. The owner told me he would sell them for $2.50 a box just to get rid of them. I didn't even have a .257 at the time but knew I would so...I bought them all. I found a used 722 Rem in .257 and it shot these factory loads at 1/2" and less at 100 yards. (I'm still using the brass to this day.)
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Round nose bullets - 03/10/23
180gr RN Corelokts are "the poor man's partitions!"

My dad swore by them. All he ever used. (all shots under 200 and most under 100 as a rule.)
Posted By: WAM Re: Round nose bullets - 03/10/23
You reckon all that RN ammo came out of new old stock from a warehouse?
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Round nose bullets - 03/10/23
Years ago, I hunted with a Remington 700 in 280 Remington that shot the Sierra 170 grain round nose bullets very well. That bullet worked quite well on game also.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Round nose bullets - 03/10/23
I would like to find some Hornady RN 100 grain in 25 caliber. They haven't made them in quite a while but I think they would be just the ticket in my 250 Savage. Where I deer hunt my shots are under a 100 yards most of the time. I use RN in my 300 Savage and 35 Whelan with great success.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Round nose bullets - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I would like to find some Hornady RN 100 grain in 25 caliber. They haven't made them in quite a while but I think they would be just the ticket in my 250 Savage. Where I deer hunt my shots are under a 100 yards most of the time. I use RN in my 300 Savage and 35 Whelan with great success.

Just look for the older 117 grain Hornady bullets made for the 25-35, they are still out there…
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Round nose bullets - 03/10/23
Thanks Shrapnel I hadn't thought of that.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 03/11/23
My bullets arrived. Three boxes
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Round nose bullets - 03/13/23
Midway has Horn 180 RN in stock as of now.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Round nose bullets - 03/13/23
Shoot round nose pistol bullets in those 35 rem.
.357 shoot fine and kill good
Posted By: bbassi Re: Round nose bullets - 03/17/23
I think the mail lady is getting pissed at me this week, but gotta grab them when you can.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by bbassi
I think the mail lady is getting pissed at me this week, but gotta grab them when you can.
Nice stash!
Posted By: MAC Re: Round nose bullets - 03/22/23
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

They also have Hornady 220 gr RN right now. Just got a few boxes to load up for my 30-40 Krag
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Round nose bullets - 03/22/23
The local Scheels store has Remington 270 win loads on the shelf the 150 gr round nose Corelokt for 26.99/box with a $5/ box discount makes it 21.99 + tax about 23.50. That's the best buy I've seen in along time...mb
Posted By: Cascade Re: Round nose bullets - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

They also have Hornady 220 gr RN right now. Just got a few boxes to load up for my 30-40 Krag

Yup, helped myself to some 220 grain RN Hornady bullets for my sporterized Springfield. smile

Guy
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Round nose bullets - 03/23/23
I think that they just look right.
Many years of shooting cartridges that were loaded with RN bullets I guess.
Posted By: Joe Re: Round nose bullets - 03/24/23
Good looking Springfield Cascade!
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Round nose bullets - 03/25/23
There was something great about a 175 gr bullet in a 7x57 or a 160 gr in a 6.5x55. Both would anchor a deer with authority in the woods.

Dan
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 03/28/23
optics planet says they have seven boxes of 264 caliber 160 grain hornady roundnoses
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Round nose bullets - 03/29/23
Hornady 150gr 30cal RN Interloc worked a bit too well on this buck in 2017. He walked up to me on the ground at 15 yards and I shot for his shoulder. His head sweep at the shot put his eye socket in the way and that hardly slowed down the 300 Savage. It stopped after going all the way down his neck and behind the far side shoulder. Problem was it didn't stop him from running in an 8 yard circle right at me whereupon I let the second round fly thinking he was a miss and was running away. Next thing I know he's down at my feet and his antler is missing. Way over penetrated on Antler. Hard to show your buck to the guys when you have to hold the horn together. Did not effect the meat including the bulk of the neck roast. Lucky November Rut all the way around. Example of one.

[Linked Image from bobbutler.zenfolio.com]

Posted By: bbassi Re: Round nose bullets - 03/30/23
I need to try those round nose in the 300 Sav. How fast are you pushing them Bob?
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Round nose bullets - 03/31/23
Originally Posted by bbassi
I need to try those round nose in the 300 Sav. How fast are you pushing them Bob?

BB
Not very fast. Our thick woods are more suited to bow hunting distance so I don’t need more than 30-30 speed in a 30cal bullet to get the job done.
I looked back in my reloading notes and see that I tried 4895. (I only have a Chrony, but it says in my notes around 2295fps). I’m sure 3031 or 4895 would get the job done. The H powder data center says you can get a bit more speed than I did if you need it.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Round nose bullets - 04/01/23
bbassi, I used this bullet in my Savage 99 and it did a great job. I don't know the velocity but it wasn't a max load.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Round nose bullets - 04/01/23
I have a box of Sierra 150 grain RN I'll be using this fall in my 300 Savage also. My shots are inside 100 yards.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Round nose bullets - 04/01/23
I’m pretty sure it was an older copy of Handloader or Rifle with a Brian Pierce article that sparked the “Round Nose sounds good this Fall,” thinking that year.
Most of the 30 cal bullets I keep are flat base spitzers like the Hot Core or Partition.
But at the short ranges we see here in the North East for deer and the thick brush we hunt pigs in E Texas I’m pretty certain just about any bullet out of a rifle will work.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Round nose bullets - 04/20/23
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

User ID checks out, LOL.

Using RN bullet's you have to learn to shoot and hunt. Using spitzer's you only have to learn to shoot! :-)
Posted By: nimblehunter Re: Round nose bullets - 04/21/23
Craig Boddington did an article a few years back on round nose bullets stating that with the big frontal area makes them hit harder & might explain why the 30-30, 32 Special, & 35 Remington are such great deer cartridges due to the bullets used.
Posted By: erich Re: Round nose bullets - 04/21/23
When I was hunting northern MN and WI I was a big fan of the RNs but always heavy for the caliber, just for the fact that they usually plowed all the way through flesh from any direction.. 150s in the 270, 175s in the 7x57and 7 Rem Mag, 180s in the 300 Sav and 308, 220s in the 06, and 250s in the 35 Whelen. The only deviation is the 100gr Partition in the various 257s.
Posted By: Bay1975 Re: Round nose bullets - 04/24/23
The round nosed 150 grain .270 ammo from Federal has been hard to find lately. I happened on a site today and picked up 4 boxes @ 26.00 each which ain’t to bad. I don’t handload never had a reason to, and the 150 grain core locks or Federal 150s have never failed to drop deer or hogs at my hunting ranges of 80 yards at most with most closer to 40. I have a few boxes of the core locks and with these 4 boxes I should be good
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Round nose bullets - 04/25/23
But "the deadliest mushroom in the woods".

+1
Posted By: szihn Re: Round nose bullets - 04/25/23
I have loved RN bullets for many years.

We think of them as close range bullets and so they may be, but one thing I have found to be true several times is that in MANY cases for shooting out to 300 yards or so, they are often extremely accurate too. It's not all that uncommon to find a rifle that shoots it's best groups from 50 to 300 yards with RN bullets.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Round nose bullets - 04/25/23
I shoot them in .257 (Roberts at 117 grains and 250 Savage with a small stash of old 100 grain RN), 6.5 (6.5X55 and 6.5X53r 160 grain), 7mm (154 grain mostly in 7X57 and 7mm-08), 30 (.30-30, 300 savage, 30-40 Krag and 30-06 150-220s), .311 (.303 British), .318-.323 (8X57J and JS 170-200 grain), .358 (200-250s .35 Remington, 358 Winchester and .358 Norma, and above that flat nose or round nose in .375, .408, .410, 429, and .458. They do a great job in the areas I hunt but no better on game than corresponding pointy bullets - they do however typically shoot very well with less load development (in my experience and others with way more experience than I have offered reasons as to why). For the majority of guys in the majority of hunting situations they work very well and I like to hunt with guys that aren’t always spewing BC this and BC that and I “lasered” the range at 714.6789 yards 🤔😄!

PennDog
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Round nose bullets - 04/25/23
Just found some old Remington 375 cal 270gr RN bullets. Heavier than what I typically use in my 375/350, but can't help but think they'll knock the snot out of anything shot with them!
Posted By: Bay1975 Re: Round nose bullets - 04/25/23
I’ve also found the RN bullets heavy for caliber to be the most accurate in my 1927 Winchester model 54 with the factory Lyman peep site at 100 yards it’s extremely accurate.
Posted By: Goat Re: Round nose bullets - 04/26/23
I have found RN bullets to be great performers, particularly in 4 of my current rifles. The 200gr Hornady RN have been extremely accurate in my BLR-81 chambered in 358Winchester often shooting groups of less than 3/4" at 100 yards when the barrel is allowed to cool between shots. I have to agree that round nose bullets do seem to hit hard in the woods ranges where I do roughly 90% of my hunting. I have nothing against spitzer bullets, they too have their place. But when the average of all the deer I've killed is less than 70 yards I really could hunt without them. My longest shot ever was just under 150yards so I certainly haven't had to have them. But I do occasionally hunt thinned timber and clear cuts where shots can range 250 - 300 yards. It's because of the odd chance that I hunt the open spots that I have three bolt guns set up with spitzers(25/06, 7mm-08, 30/06). I do hope to use those spitzers someday but until then ill keep killing deer with round nose and flat point bullets!
Posted By: southtexas Re: Round nose bullets - 04/26/23
Who knew that a bullet with a BC of less than . 6 could kill anything ??
Posted By: bluefish Re: Round nose bullets - 04/26/23
And one can actually develop the skill of stalking. Do wonders ever cease?
Posted By: texken Re: Round nose bullets - 04/26/23
never used any thing but r n on white tail
Posted By: Seabreeze1970 Re: Round nose bullets - 05/14/23
Just bought a box of Hornady 200 grain 358’s, from Midway. Can’t wait to load some up.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Round nose bullets - 05/23/23
I had 200-300 old Hornady 100g 6mm round nose bullets somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find them. My dad who doesn't reload bought them back in the 70's.

I never bothered to load them because I wasn't a fan of crap BCs even when I started loading for 6mm at 14 years old. They'd probably work pretty well in areas where short range shots are the most common. Where I've always hunted you always had to be ready for longer range shots so I never loaded RN rifle bullets. I'll go dig around I'm the basement. I did find some nosler 6mm 100g solid base bullets I forgot I had the other day. They aren't round nose but they were a pretty good bullet. I think ballistic tips replaced them.

Bb
I've got some 220 Hornady for the 30-06 all I've used them in is 30-40 krag decades ago. Also got them for my 338 cal. Today I'd wager the 338, 358, 375 are most available
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Round nose bullets - 05/23/23
I think rio7 or rockinbar was looking for some of those rn 100gr 6mm. If you want to peddle them.. Ask them..mb
Posted By: Seafire Re: Round nose bullets - 05/23/23
I'm a big fan of Round Nose bullets and SMP....

I have several boxes of 100 gr RN Hornady bullets in 6mm.

Going to load some in a 6 x 45 this deer season this fall. Ought to work just fine at 200 yds or a little more.
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Round nose bullets - 05/27/23
my dad (RIP) had a Reminton m760 in '06 with a factory 180gr Remington RN. he killed alot of deer with it. my grandpap (RIP) and my uncle (RIP) had the same thing. when i was 13 - 14yo, my grandpap bought me a 1972 Winchester m94 in 30-30. man, did it kill deer!!! it was factory loads before i rolled my own, it was 150gr or 170gr RN or FP. Winchester, Remington, Federal, PMC...if i could find it, i'd shoot it. then came a day when the price went up, 30-30 went from $7 or $8 to $10.99 and the '06 went from around $10 - $12 to $18.99. well, i saved up and bought a Lyman reloading turret kit. before i saved up, my dad bought 5 cases (2500 rounds) of factory 180gr Rem RN (it was $8 or $9/20 cartridges). he said your kids' kids will have them after i'm gone. right now, i have about 2200 rounds left and my sons will shoot them.

anyway, i started reloading my 30-30 with 150gr and 170gr Hornady RN and H322. i killed alot of deer with the Hornadys. i also used (one or two years) the 125gr Seirra FNHP and it was good for deer. then i went thru the '06 phase (Rem a,b and cdl, mountain rifle and Savage m116 with the adjustable brake). i loaded 150, 165, 170 and 180gr Hornady RN, FP, and SP (i loaded up 150gr RN and 170gr FP that were for the 30-30 in the '06). a few years later,i sold them and i got a Reminton m760 in 308 Winchester. i loaded up some 170gr Hornady FP and i killed quite a few deer and a 398lbs black bear. my ex-wife used a Remington m7 in 243 with 100gr Hornady RN and 105gr Speer RN. then me and gunsmith (RIP) built a custom '98 FN Mauser in a 20" Douglas featherweight barrel in 7x57. i used a 139gr Hornady RN (discontinued) and it killed deer....a lot of deer. my oldest son now has it, but his stash is getting low (150+/- bullets). my dad got a Remington m7 (18.5" barrel) and i bought two of them (1 was fer me, the other was for my youngest son) and i decided on the 139gr Hornady FP (discontinued). my brothers had a Rem ADL in '06 that i loaded some 170gr Hornady FP. the deer they killed...man, it was like a bloodbath, blood on ground, blood up in trees.......man!!!

the past 10 years or so, i've been shooting cast bullets (or boolits) for deer. they all go FN, LFN AND WFN in 7x57, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 35/30-30, 9.3x57, 444, 45-70 and the 500 Linebaugh. i do have a 280gr RN GC in 9.3x57, but i haven't killed with it. i have a 275gr WFN GC in 9.3x57 and that one is one of my favorites. i'm not big on speed, the velocities go from 1243fps (500 L) to 1926fps(30-40 Krag). yep, speed demons them all.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Round nose bullets - 05/27/23
I'm going to go back and forth with 250 Hornady RNs and 210 NPs in the 338-06 project I am pulling together. BTW, duplicated Winchester factory 3006 barrel to be finished at 23".
For those interested, LG Outdoors has Hornady (3515) .358 200gr RN for $44 and 7 bucks shipping.
Posted By: Muddly Re: Round nose bullets - 12/14/23
I've come to prefer round noses. I've taken 1 deer at 200 yards, 150 grain PMC factory loaded .30-30, one at 150 yards, that with a muzzleloader and a 250 grain .45 caliber Hornady XTP.
The balance of my 54 deer have all been at 100 yards, or less. My 9 pointer this year, dropped to a 200 grain round nose Core Lokt, 7 feet from the muzzle of my .35 Remington.
I find no advantage to spitzers for my kind of hunting. Round noses tend to be kinda soft and make gooey chests even at modest velocities.
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Round nose bullets - 12/14/23
Originally Posted by Muddly
I've come to prefer round noses. I've taken 1 deer at 200 yards, 150 grain PMC factory loaded .30-30, one at 150 yards, that with a muzzleloader and a 250 grain .45 caliber Hornady XTP.
The balance of my 54 deer have all been at 100 yards, or less. My 9 pointer this year, dropped to a 200 grain round nose Core Lokt, 7 feet from the muzzle of my .35 Remington.
I find no advantage to spitzers for my kind of hunting. Round noses tend to be kinda soft and make gooey chests even at modest velocities.

the area i hunt, 60 yards is a long shot. i shot a 8pt with my Ruger #1 in 270 Winchester with 130gr Nosler BT and IMR4320 at 12 feet. it went into the buck shoulder, fragmented and i made lung soup with chunks of heart. it ran about 25ish yards and fell over. i think that was the last time i used the Ruger.

i use cast FN bullets. in my 35/30-30 (JES Reboring) it is a 200gr RCBS FNGC and 2400/tuft of Dacron that goes 1726fps. it is a killer on deer. after the shot, they will jog about 15 - 25 yards, stop and look around and then fall. the deer don't run away after the shot, they jog. on the other hand, i use a 30-40 Krag and 173gr Ranch Dog (looks like a wide flat nose) and H4198 that goes 1930fps and every deer that i and my son have shot at, they go straight down. i hunt for meat, not antler size. i never liked throwing away parts of deer. i have been going behind the shoulder shots and with cast bullets, you be able to eat up to the hole(s). there is no bloodshot meat or chunks of bone like i used to have using jacketed bullets. also using cast, i never recover the bullet on deer. it will exit the deer and go off on its own. smirk
Posted By: miguel Re: Round nose bullets - 12/15/23
I just got a Savage 99 in .300 Savage. I was thinking that a 150 grain round nose would be a nice bullet for 200 yards and less deer hunting. Anything I have found is designed for .30-30 velocities. Is there such a thing as a 30 caliber 150 or 165 grain round nose anymore?
Posted By: shaman Re: Round nose bullets - 12/15/23
I am of mixed thoughts in regard to round-nosed bullets. I suppose my biggest decision in this matter is 20-some years ago when I started reloading and folks at Shooters.com suggested 165-grain Hornady SPs. Previously I had hunted for years with 180-grain round noses with good results. I have to say the 165-grainers did just as good a job.

Mind you, in those days, I was mostly hunting out of bow-centric treestands. I didn't have a 100+ yard kill for years to come.

I'm going through my inventory right now, and I see the following:

For the Kar 98 Mauser, I'm shooting 175-grain Hornady RNs.

For the 25-06, I'm shooting 117 grain Hornady RNs.

For the 35 Whelen, my standard load is 200 Grain Rem SPCLs.

All the rest of my deer battery are shooting pointy bullets. I can't say any one of the RNs are specifically better than their SP analogs. In most instances, I resorted to RN simply because I was getting poor accuracy from the SPs and was trolling about for an alternative.

Last year, I shot the camp record long shot, taking a nice buck at 200 yards with my 30-06. It was my first test of going from 165-grain Hornady SPs down to 150-grainers. I got a lifetime supply several years ago of the latter, and it seemed like a good way to use them.

Look, I'm not going to knock round noses; I'm not going to lionize spire-points. Honestly, in 40-some seasons, I haven't come close to telling the difference.

The 35 Whelen is possibly one exception. My first year out with the Whelenizer went like this:

Hubert D. Buck meets Mister Whelen

3 shots into the boiler room at 80 yards, and the buck just stood there and took it. It was weird. It was creepy. I was looking for answers. Somebody said I should switch from Remington 200 grain PSPCLs to the round-nosed equivalent, thinking the spire points were a bit to tough to expand. I would have tried anything not to have that happen again, and I have to say I never had a repeat. Whether the bullet change had anything to do with it, I don't know.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Round nose bullets - 12/15/23
Originally Posted by miguel
I just got a Savage 99 in .300 Savage. I was thinking that a 150 grain round nose would be a nice bullet for 200 yards and less deer hunting. Anything I have found is designed for .30-30 velocities. Is there such a thing as a 30 caliber 150 or 165 grain round nose anymore?

When I lived in NH and hunted with a Remington 760 and Savage 99s in 300 Savage, I loaded the 170 grain Remington RNCL 30-30 component bullets. The thought was that they would expand more rapidly at 300 Savage velocities They worked fine, but no better or worse than the 180 grain Federal factory load that I could see. I was mostly still-hunting in dense woods, over-grown dairy pastures, and a few small open dairy pastures, so 100 yards would have been a long shot.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Round nose bullets - 12/15/23
Both of this years bucks killed with RN bullets. 220grn. out of .30 US Army and 180grn. Rem. Factory Core-lokt out of .30 Govt. 1906.

I've killed elk in past with both the old Hornady 250 grn. .358" and their 200 grn. .358", both out of .35 WCF.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Round nose bullets - 12/15/23
All total I got in the neighborhood of 2500 RN and FP's in various calibers. Haven't got to use them all on game, but so far I've seen no reason not to like them at woods ranges and reasonable velocities.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Round nose bullets - 12/15/23

I used the Sierra 150gr RN for a 300 Savage and now my 308s. In both cartridges the bullets worked great. Good expansion and held together. These bullets are not 30-30 bullets.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/30-caliber-7-62mm-150-gr-rn/
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Round nose bullets - 12/15/23
I have 100 or so 6MM RN coming .but it will be next deer season before I can try them out. I like the 200gr RN in my 35 Whelan very little meat damage.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Round nose bullets - 12/16/23
I knew a couple of old timers who loaded .30-06 with 170 grain round nose bullets designed for .30-30. They didn't like .30-06 recoil and loaded the 170 grain bullets a couple of hundred fps faster than .30-30 speed.
Posted By: MonkeyWrench Re: Round nose bullets - 12/16/23
I've got a box of loaded ammo labeled, "Remington Express Core-Lokt 308 WIN 180 GR. CORE-LOKT SP R308W2."

Sure looks like a 180 gr Round nose to me. Can't be that old. Are they no longer manufactured?
Posted By: Woodpecker Re: Round nose bullets - 12/16/23
Before I traded off my Rem 600 350 mag I hunted with both Hornady but finally settled on the old Hawk 250 gran soft nose rd points. They were actually the most accurate bullet I loaded for that rifle and they were bone crushers. The last moose I took lost both shoulders in a big way to that bullet. When I dug it out of the far shoulder bone I’d bet the bullet expanded to about 5/8” . I shot round nose out of my old 99 300 with similar performance on deer and elk. So yes I like them a lot.

Rick
Posted By: Tom2506 Re: Round nose bullets - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
I've got a box of loaded ammo labeled, "Remington Express Core-Lokt 308 WIN 180 GR. CORE-LOKT SP R308W2."

Sure looks like a 180 gr Round nose to me. Can't be that old. Are they no longer manufactured?

They still make them. I just bought a case of them back in September. They work very well.

Good luck! Tom
Posted By: Woodpecker Re: Round nose bullets - 12/16/23
Years ago I was in a hardware store in St. John, Newfoundland and it seemed there were more round nose bullets than anything. Those guys up there must love them. Anyway they may still be offered but I can’t say they are easy to find. Looking over this thread you’d think the bullet makers would pony up cause somebody still wants them

Rick
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Round nose bullets - 12/16/23
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Years ago I was in a hardware store in St. John, Newfoundland and it seemed there were more round nose bullets than anything. Those guys up there must love them. Anyway they may still be offered but I can’t say they are easy to find. Looking over this thread you’d think the bullet makers would pony up cause somebody still wants them

Rick

because they have "plastic" tips now.

but i agree with you. other than the price, i would keep on buying RN or FN bullets. Hornady used to have a 139gr FN in '284" caliber bullets. it was great for the 7x57 and 7-08. but they discontinued it and now i have 150+/- pieces of 139gr Hornady FN bullets.
Posted By: miguel Re: Round nose bullets - 12/17/23

I used the Sierra 150gr RN for a 300 Savage and now my 308s. In both cartridges the bullets worked great. Good expansion and held together. These bullets are not 30-30 bullets.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/30-caliber-7-62mm-150-gr-rn/
Dave, I appreciate the suggestion. I had forgotten about Sierra bullets I guess. I’m my experience they were usually quite accurate and still fairly affordable. I’ll have to pick up a couple boxes of those .30 caliber 150 grain round noses, they should be perfect at .300 Savage velocities and closer ranges.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Round nose bullets - 12/17/23
Hornady made a 100 grain RN in 25 caliber which was a great bullet but now sadly it's discontinued. I did find some 117 RN however,
Posted By: Goat Re: Round nose bullets - 12/20/23
I sure would like to find some of those Hornady 154gr 7mm round nose bullets to use in my 7mm-08. I have toyed with the idea of BLR-81 in 7mm-08 for some time but got a L-H Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter several years ago. I really don't think the RN bullets would kill things any more dead or even be faster in doing it than the 140gr Nosler Accuonds I'm shooting now but, nonetheless I've wanted some of them for years. Whether from the 20" bbl of a BLR-81or from the same length in my Micro hunter those 154s would likely only get 2600-2700fps at very best, but they still appeal to me.
The 35 caliber 200gr Hornady RN has done well for me in my 358 Win chambered BLR-81 even with the lower velocity of the 20" bbl. I'm sure I could do better than the 2375fps but my accuracy is so great that I have settled on that load for a RN bullet in that rifle. I would like to try the same Hornady200gr RN in my 35Whelen but am afraid that it may be too much velocity for the bullet to handle and cause fragmentation. I am thinking very strongly about getting some Hawk bullets in either a 200gr or 225gr RN for the 35Whelen for use on white tails even if they are overkill. There are times when I hunt areas that are so dense that I simply don't want the deer to move more than a few feet so it doesn't end up in a thicket.
Long live the round nose bullet!
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Round nose bullets - 12/20/23
I really like the DRT from a 200 gr 0.358" bullet. 350 RM or Winchester. RZ.
Posted By: duke61 Re: Round nose bullets - 12/21/23
What is the longest kill you guys had with round nose bullets? Out west unless we're hunting river/creek bottoms shots can be pretty long whether it's deer or elk, pronghorn are usually few hundred yards out.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Round nose bullets - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by duke61
What is the longest kill you guys had with round nose bullets? Out west unless we're hunting river/creek bottoms shots can be pretty long whether it's deer or elk, pronghorn are usually few hundred yards out.

My old buddy took a bull at just over 300 yards 2 years ago with plain old Rem 180 CL's in the 06.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Not ideal, but he shot them and they shot well, so he used em.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Round nose bullets - 12/22/23
A while back I made a bigscore on bullets, maunl .270, .284 and .308" Nosler partitions. There were a few boxes of Sierra .170 gr. RNs and .220 gr. RNs by sierra which he literally gave. Said he didn't like the, I'll be trying the 7s in a 7x57 and .80 Rem. Not sure about the 220 gr. 30s but probably in the 06 and maybe the .300 Win. Mag.

The last two animals I shot with a round nose bullet were a Mule deer back around 1973 and another Mule deer about 1975. The first was with a 175 gr. Federal 7x57 round and that deer was never recovered. My wife and I looked until it was too dark to see anything. I went back out the next day and found it well over 400 yard from where I shot. The coyotes had a good feed. Years later when I got a chronograph, I found that ammo only did a bit over 2200 FPS, not the advertised 2400+ FPS. I ran some fresh ammo to compare and it was no better.

The second buck was shot at about 35/40 yards and the bullet hit too far back, just in front of the hind leg and about two-thirds up on the body. Deer dropped like it was pole axed and never even twitched. M
There were two deer and my buddy shot at the other. Both went down fast. My buddy looked at me and asked, "Did you shoot at that deer?" I said yes and apparently both shots went off an exactly the same time He couldn't figure out how he'd killed two deer about 20 feet apart. That was good for a laugh.
PJ
Posted By: wldthg Re: Round nose bullets - 12/22/23
I got spores from Remington years ago and grow my own now---- Deadly if taken internally
Posted By: Seafire Re: Round nose bullets - 12/24/23
I'm still a fan of a good old Round Nose in about any caliber.

When I lived in Minnesota and hunted there and also over in Wisconsin, the most common thing I carried in the field was Federal 30/06 ammo loaded with 220 grain RNs.

you connect, the deer dropped dead. Even at 300 yds, even tho the foot pounds of energy was down to like 1300 ft /lbs, those 220s always plowed right thru both sides and there was always a small entrance hole and a small exit hole, when shot thru the chest vitals.....but in the insides of the deer, it was like the vital organs had been stirred with a chain saw...

Shot a blacktail buck here in Oregon a number of years ago.... at about 150 yds, with a 7 x 57, with a 175 grain Hornady RN. Impact velocity was under 2000 fps.
bullet went thru both sides of the deer and dropped it on the spot. After gutting the deer noticed a bullet hole in a pine tree about 30 yds behind, that was fresh..

after exiting the deer, evidently the 175 grain RN, also penetrated thru about 18 to 20 inches of pine tree...

They aren''t fancy of high tech in today's hunting world.... but they damn sure worked...

the blacktail this past season, was taken with a 95 grain ballistic tip, out of a 6 x 45....the other pack of bullets I had loaded up, were with the same powder charge ( 24 gr H 322 ) and some left over 100 grain Hornady RN/Sp. I'll try to remember to use those next season.... I'd bet they would have done the same job as the 95 gr B/Tips did. ONE shot and DRT.
Posted By: OttoG Re: Round nose bullets - 12/26/23
I’ve used them in 243, 6mm rem and 7x57. They looked good, were accurate and worked OK. I didn’t find them so special as to justify the wind effect and increased drop.
My hunting is woods with fields, sad to say I find a ballistic tip a better balance.
Posted By: BoltactionMan Re: Round nose bullets - 12/27/23
My limited and unscientific foolin around with them in a 6mm Remington would tell you that the difference in drop is probably less than you think out to about 350 yards

KC
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Round nose bullets - 12/27/23
Load 150 gr flat nose 30-30 bullets in my 300 black out
Accurate and do good on deer .
Have some 170 flat nose loaded for Ruger compact 308 at around 2500 fps according to load manual
Haven’t shot anything with them yet but figure they’ll be devastating running a couple hundred feet per second faster than they were designed for
Kenneth

And yep I remember the round nose bullets being very popular when I was a kid and young man
Seemed that’s what most people were hunting with in those days
I have some loaded gif 30-06 , 220gr
One of these days I’ll hunt them
Pretty accurate too
Posted By: MonkeyWrench Re: Round nose bullets - 12/28/23
Now that's funny. How far upstate? Lyons is as far as I've gotten. Used to love Allegany County. Still miss it...
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Round nose bullets - 12/28/23
I am fond of round nose bullets as well. Kind of surprised that there are no pictures of recovered bullets. I shot a mule deer buck this year with a 30-06 and factory Winchester 220 grain round nose Power Point. Deer was walking towards me at 75 yards when I stuffed the bullet through one shoulder and the bullet was recovered near the opposite flank. Over 2 feet of penetration and the recovered bullet weighed 177 grains. A picture-perfect mushroom.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Round nose bullets - 12/28/23
That is exactly what they’re supposed to do. Impressive. A rn is a freight train.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Round nose bullets - 12/29/23
These are the old Semi Spitzer 275 Speers.. Sorta RN'ish. Forgot I had a pile of them so I have decided to give them a whirl. Used to shoot awesome in my old 338.

Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Round nose bullets - 12/29/23
BERETZS, I used these years ago. Killed a bull elk at way to far distance using these 275 grainers. Took 2 shots. Recover one bullet. Perfect mushroom.

I have, over the last 5 years, been using a lot of factory 30/06 Winchester 180 grain Power Points on most game. Mule deer and antelope. These are the old stock, long round nose of the 1990's. No complaints except from the deer and antelope.
Posted By: CRS Re: Round nose bullets - 12/29/23
Great thread, old skool cool.

I shot some of the 275gr Speers out my 338-06, never hunted them.
Shot a couple deer when I had a 348 Winchester Model 71. That gun has long since sailed, and do not remember the exact bullet used.
Used some Speer 220gr flat nose out of Rem 673 in 350RM. Worked great.

But anymore, short of lever actions, just do not feel the need to use RN bullets.

Some 150gr 270cal RN might be neat out of my Dad's old 760 pump, but a clip certainly alleviates the need fo RN. If they are even manufactured anymore.
May give them a run in the 338-06 as well, just for the heck of it!

The old 06 I got from you is turning into a good 338 CRS. Once it gets smoothed out a bit it’s going to be a peach.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Round nose bullets - 12/29/23
A couple months ago, I found a great deal on a full box of Barnes originals .308 250gr bullets. The epitome of "round nosed" bullets:

They are a little too big for a 308 winchester though. Grew up shooting 220gr Remington corelokts in my 30-06, and I know those work great on things. The Barnes are more of a collectors item, but well worth the $15/box I gave for them...
Posted By: Dinny Re: Round nose bullets - 12/29/23
I just bought some Speer 30cal 165gr RN bullets in the classifieds. I scoop them up every time I find them at a reasonable price. My Pre 64 30'06 loves them.
Those 250 Barnes would be cool for a bear hunt where you want to knock the stuffing out of them!
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Round nose bullets - 12/29/23
Didn’t read all the comments on all the pages so sorry if I’m repeating anyone. Hornady does/has made limited runs of RN bullets. I just picked up a box of 250’s for my 35 Whelen. Hawk Bullets makes “round tips” and they are designed similar to the old Barnes original bullets. Softer copper jackets and pure lead core. These tend to be stickier like a Swift and build pressure quicker than a guilding metal jacket on other bullets. But, they also seal tighter to the bore and tend to be more accurate in older bores. I know it’s been kicked around here before but they’re about the only consistent option for RN especially with Woodleigh not around.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Round nose bullets - 12/29/23
180 gr RN were a staple for my dad in his M100 .308. I believe they were Speer hot Cors. He ran the old bronze points one year and quickly changed back. Those bronze points dropped deer right now but sure shot the hell out meat.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Round nose bullets - 12/29/23
A couple months ago, I found a great deal on a full box of Barnes originals .308 250gr bullets. The epitome of "round nosed" bullets:

They are a little too big for a 308 winchester though. Grew up shooting 220gr Remington corelokts in my 30-06, and I know those work great on things. The Barnes are more of a collectors item, but well worth the $15/box I gave for them...

I used one of those 250 grain Barnes in a 30/06 to kill an elk. IIRC it drove through the spine and was found lodged under the offside hide. I have it in my collection of spent, game killing bullets with the description of the distance, recovered weight and what damage was done. I remember it was another picture-perfect mushroom.
Posted By: CRS Re: Round nose bullets - 12/29/23
Originally Posted by beretzs
May give them a run in the 338-06 as well, just for the heck of it!

The old 06 I got from you is turning into a good 338 CRS. Once it gets smoothed out a bit it’s going to be a peach.

grin I like it.
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Round nose bullets - 12/30/23
I killed 2 bucks this year, both with roundnose bullets. One from a 257 Roberts, the other a 250 Savage.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Round nose bullets - 12/30/23
Originally Posted by JakeM78
I killed 2 bucks this year, both with roundnose bullets. One from a 257 Roberts, the other a 250 Savage.
Were you using the 117gr Hornady?.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Round nose bullets - 12/30/23
I killed one deer with a round ball out of my .50 Hawken and one with a 170 gr. Sierra FN out of my .30-30 this season.
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Round nose bullets - 12/31/23
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Were you using the 117gr Hornady?.

No sir, factory Remington ammo in the 257 Roberts and 100gr roundnose handload in the 250 Savage.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Round nose bullets - 01/01/24
JakeM78 I sent you a PM
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Round nose bullets - 01/02/24
Federal blue box 270 win 150 gr rn have been the most accurate round if shot in my Rem 700. Less than 1inch at 100yds. On the couple of deer I've shot with them, they have performed very well. Quick kills and thorough penetration on deer at 100 yds and under. Less meat blood shot meat damage seen. This may be due to a low velocity, I dunno. I like these RN and will keep shooting the.
Posted By: 8MMX57JS Re: Round nose bullets - 01/02/24
edit* already posted same info earlier.

Some of my experiences favor a RN vs a spire point when penetration is needed.
Posted By: Bama73 Re: Round nose bullets - 01/05/24
I recently acquired 250 or so 150 grain 270 round nose bullets in a lot of stuff I bought. If anyone is interested I'd let them go for 50.00 shipped.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Round nose bullets - 01/05/24
Originally Posted by Bama73
I recently acquired 250 or so 150 grain 270 round nose bullets in a lot of stuff I bought. If anyone is interested I'd let them go for 50.00 shipped.

What make are they Bama?
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Round nose bullets - 01/05/24
I used to load 220gr RN bullets for one of my 30-06's. But stopped using them when I finally admitted that T-Rex has been gone a very long time! Lol!
Posted By: Bama73 Re: Round nose bullets - 01/06/24
Not sure on the brand, they were in a plain box.

Attached picture 20240105_191519.jpg
Attached picture 20240105_191532.jpg
Attached picture 20240105_191540.jpg
Posted By: Chrome Re: Round nose bullets - 01/06/24
Appears to be Federal?
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Round nose bullets - 01/06/24
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Speer Grand Slams are pretty close... and Woodleigh should be up and running soon.

GR

I had given up on Woodleigh. What’s the word on them?
Posted By: JGrass Re: Round nose bullets - 01/11/24
I would be very interested and willing to purchase any and all Remington Core-Lok Round nose 100grain .257 bullets or loaded ammunition. That bullet shoots "minute of Deer" every time in my savage Model 99 in 250-3000. I only have one box left!
thank you members.
Posted By: carrollco Re: Round nose bullets - 01/11/24
Grew up hunting with round nose bullets in 30 caliber. We hunt in the Mississippi Delta where there is a lot of flood plains, wetlands, Tupelo gum and cypress brakes. You wanted something that would anchor the deer on the spot. Nobody likes wading in 3’ of mud. 30/06 in 180 grain CoreLocks or 170 grain in 30/30 does a number on them. Have used a 243 in round nose also, 100 or 105 grain. Been a long time ago. Just makes sense.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Round nose bullets - 01/12/24
Hello all!
I just posted a box of Speer 170 grain 270 Round nosed soft points in the classifieds. Talking about a bunch of smack down power!!
Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: 450Fuller Re: Round nose bullets - 01/14/24
Years ago my largest 8-pt Alabama whitetail was taken with a pre-war Model 71 Winchester with a 200 gr Silvertip
FP bullet. Flattened this 280 pound running WT buck. Have also flattened whitetail Coues bucks in Arizona with the .348
in 200 gr Hawk flat points. The best RN bullet may be a FP within 200 yards.
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Round nose bullets - 01/14/24
That reminds me, the magazine of my Ruger 77 RSI 270 is filled with Federal 150gr Roundnose.

Scheels has them too. I just bought some for my 30-30 a few days ago. $33/box.
Isn't it interesting that around 2017 2018 pre scamdemic loaded Hornady factory ammo was $14/box. It basically equates to 50rnds for the current price of 100 bullets. That's nuts.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Round nose bullets - 01/20/24
Originally Posted by brinky72
180 gr RN were a staple for my dad in his M100 .308.

Exactly. Dad shot 180 gn RN rem corelokts. One deer each shot for life, always dropped on the spot. (no shots over 150... hunt harder not farther sort of guy)

Hard to argue with success.
Posted By: Joe Re: Round nose bullets - 01/20/24
And besides, a round nose just looks right in a Mannlicher-Schoenauer! That's what my best friend told me when he saw me loading mine with 180 gr. Winchester Power Points.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Round nose bullets - 01/22/24
I loaned my Browning A Bolt to a friend a decade or so ago.. He took it elk hunting, here in Oregon.
He was thinking he needed maximum punch for an elk, so I loaded it up that way...

83 grains of H 1000, with a 220 grain RN. It worked just fine for him, 300 Weatherby data in a 300 Win Mag

When I was zeroing the rifle at the range, it was 2 evenings before season opened. The entire 300 yd range was full.
I finally was able to get a bench, but no one would even stop for anyone to go post a target even at 50 yds... I was at the far left side, with 30 other or so benches next to me, all full.

So only thing out there was some steel plates on the left of the 300 yd line. When I pulled the trigger, it connected.
The "Clang" was loud enough, that virtually every one on the other benches stopped to see what the hell was that.
It had knocked the hell out of the steel plate. With a sectional density of .330, thats a big hunk of lead.

A bunch of the guys walked down to see "what the hell I was shooting"...

I loaded up 220 grain SMP Partitions for my buddy with that charge. The bullet went straight thru his bull elk and they found no bullet to see....

Count me as a dedicated Round Nose fan, even tho others prefer the newer spendy/trendy bullets...

Old school is normally around a long time for a good reason... If many of them were still being made, I'd bet they would still be selling... at least for guys like me... if nothing else, I wish they would make an annual run of them.

Wish I'd have been around before they quit making the 6.5 mm RN bullets, down at Hornady.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Round nose bullets - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Federal blue box 270 win 150 gr rn have been the most accurate round if shot in my Rem 700. Less than 1inch at 100yds. On the couple of deer I've shot with them, they have performed very well. Quick kills and thorough penetration on deer at 100 yds and under. Less meat blood shot meat damage seen. This may be due to a low velocity, I dunno. I like these RN and will keep shooting the.
They are rough on KY whitetails and TX pigs, I can attest to that.
Posted By: JDK Re: Round nose bullets - 01/23/24
A member here helped me with a load for my 250 Savage. 117 grain Hornady RN over H4831. By far the most accurate load in my Ruger. Plan to use it in PA this Fall.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Round nose bullets - 01/23/24
I use round nose in every caliber I hunt with around here. They are the best bullet for dead right there performance on whitetails. The never run off! I load 100 grainers in my daughters 243. Sadly the yare discontinued, but I have some left. Use them in my 7mm rem mag, 3006 and 338 win mag. By the way, if anyone has any 243 in 100 grain or 30 cal in 150 or 180 that they would like to part with, Im a pm away. Thanks
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 01/23/24
Originally Posted by gunchamp
I use round nose in every caliber I hunt with around here. They are the best bullet for dead right there performance on whitetails. The never run off! I load 100 grainers in my daughters 243. Sadly the yare discontinued, but I have some left. Use them in my 7mm rem mag, 3006 and 338 win mag. By the way, if anyone has any 243 in 100 grain or 30 cal in 150 or 180 that they would like to part with, Im a pm away. Thanks
I saw on Saturday that grice gun shop had 30 caliber 180 grain sierra roundnose bullets.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Round nose bullets - 01/23/24
As many on here know, a 220 gr RN in my .06 is my favorite bullet for elk. I have killed more than a few with it from 20 yards to just shy of 400 yards. My brother killed a considerable number with 180 gr RN in his .308.

I use to hunt Unit 25 in Colorado. I met a lot of PA, WI and MI elk hunters in 25 years or so. More than a few carried Remington pumps or semi's in 30-06 stuffed with round nose bullets
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Round nose bullets - 01/24/24
I saw on Saturday that grice gun shop had 30 caliber 180 grain sierra roundnose bullets.
Thank you! Time for a quick trip this weekend!
Posted By: GrantW Re: Round nose bullets - 01/25/24
I’ve shot a few 150 round noses in the ol man’s .270 featherweight. They never failed to get the job done within reasonable distance. Hit like a train on both ends
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Round nose bullets - 01/26/24
Thank you! Time for a quick trip this weekend!
You're welcome. Good luck with them!
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Round nose bullets - 02/02/24
According to Remington's website they have .30-06 and .308 win 180 grain RN ammo in stock. Also .30-06 220 gr RN. Maybe other caibers, haven't gone through the whole list. $37.99 for the 180 grain. You may already know this.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Round nose bullets - 03/07/24

I really liked the Hornady 117 RN propelled by Win 760 in my .250 savage rifles. That bullet at about 2700 fps muzzle velocity really kills well. It opens easily, stays together and penetrates very deep. Accurate in a 1-10" twist .250 savage, and some 1:14" rifles will shoot them ok too. I almost always got exits on deer regardless of range, 20 yds to over 250.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Round nose bullets - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by castnblast

I really liked the Hornady 117 RN propelled by Win 760 in my .250 savage rifles. That bullet at about 2700 fps muzzle velocity really kills well. It opens easily, stays together and penetrates very deep. Accurate in a 1-10" twist .250 savage, and some 1:14" rifles will shoot them ok too. I almost always got exits on deer regardless of range, 20 yds to over 250.

I have some red box Remington's 25 caliber 100 grain round nose. I used a factory round of 250 Savage with this bullet. Shot a doe mule deer at 100 yards away. She was quartering towards me, and I put the bullet between the shoulder blade and angled it towards the offside gut. She just ran off and rejoined the herd. A half hour later I was able to identify her by a small drip of blood flow near the shoulder. A second broadside shot dropped her in her tracks. The first bullet jacket was recovered in her diaphragm and the core was not recovered even looking for it with a metal detector. Fifty percent bullet failure. I detest Remington Cor-Lok's.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Round nose bullets - 03/09/24
Have numerous DRTs with my Savage 99 358 Winchester, Bessie Ann, with bulk sale 200 gr Remington round nose soft points. She always does her part. A wonderful brush gun built in '74 I think. RZ.
© 24hourcampfire