Home
I like them 4 foot by 4 foot by 7 foot high. I like to be able to look out all 4 sides without moving my chair. I can see 3 sides turning my head, turn chair 1/4 turn to see the other
Mine are 6x6 except one is 4x6 74" tall. Our family has little people getting old enough to go. They will be able to with these. Those that do go will most likely be hunters.
Have a great day.
Jim
Mine's 6X4 because, when I built it there was NOTHING on the property, No power, water, nothing, Just woods and a power line. My theory was (and is) in a pinch I could sleep/camp in it. I'm 6 feet even, so going diagonal, I can lay down in it and it'll keep me out of the weather should the need arise.
Originally Posted by jwleeper
Mine are 6x6 except one is 4x6 74" tall. Our family has little people getting old enough to go. They will be able to with these. Those that do go will most likely be hunters.
Have a great day.
Jim

This x 100. Lots of fun to take a newbie along sometimes. 5x5 ft will get it done nicely. Room for a bit of gear and a small heater is nice. It can get cold up here. When alone, I often just sit at the base of a tree, but I admit a blind is great when the weather is nasty.
I like a 6 or 7 foot x 4 foot. Easy to stretch out in a pinch and small enough to heat. Not enough leg room or swivel room in anything smaller. Some of them at our hunt club are smaller, but I don’t use them. I’ll get in one of my ladder stands or ground blind instead.
I built two that are 4x6 so that two could sit in them. Usually do not have two adults in them but have and adult that is supervising a kid.
I’ve never had one an admittedly it would be harder to hunt but lately I’ve been thinking of an 8x8. I’d use it as my shelter and everything spend the entire time in the blind.
The size of a Chevrolet 2500HD crew cab !!
The last few years I have sat in a 5x5 ground blind overlooking an ag field along a creek. There have been several deer, and coyotes killed from that blind. Generally the blind is set up from late August till January. Have had some of the younger deer actually bump the tie down cords. Last year in December rifle season a buck was killed about 20 yards from the blind and in Sept. muzzleloader season a doe about 30 yards out.
I have had 2 adults and a 7 yr old and that gets a little tight. I set up 1 swivel chair and keep a bag chair in the corner for a 2nd person.
4’x5’x6’ tall is perfect for one or two people!
I build them 4x4. I like a full size door and talll enough to stand up in and to put a shelf in up above the windows. Takes less material to build and like op said easy to see out and shoot out of all the windows.

We have several larger boxes on our place and they all turn into shelters for illegal aliens. They throw the chairs out and have fire rings built around all of them. If you put a lock on them they tear up the doors getting in them. Another reason for the 4×4 box blinds.
Originally Posted by Mohawk
I build them 4x4. I like a full size door and talll enough to stand up in and to put a shelf in up above the windows. Takes less material to build and like op said easy to see out and shoot out of all the windows.

We have several larger boxes on our place and they all turn into shelters for illegal aliens. They throw the chairs out and have fire rings built around all of them. If you put a lock on them they tear up the doors getting in them. Another reason for the 4×4 box blinds.

I’m glad we don’t have them.
Originally Posted by Buck720
4’x5’x6’ tall is perfect for one or two people!
Not much larger but I find these are better. Especially for two people. Hasbeen
6'x6'
Open-air is my favorite size. whistle
I prefer no stand at all. I mostly hunt from the ground.
I build them 6' wide to accommodate 2 hunters sitting SxS. Usually one of the grandkids or one of my daughters. The first one I built was 6'x4', It works pretty good. But I have found that 6'x6' is much better. It gives you plenty of room for gear such as your pack and a small heater. And you can slide your chair back and be completely in the shadow with just the end of your gun barrel sticking out the window. I built one with my son in law that is 8'x8' for a family blind. You can easily hunt 2 adults and 2 kids with plenty of room for gear. There is even room enough for one of the grandkids to stretch out and take a nap.

This one is 6'x4'

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

6'x6'

This one is the family blind 8'x8'

I like 4x4 for a one person stand.
4x6 for 2. Even bigger is better.

Only trouble ive had is hunting a big stand by yourself.. if theres likely deer on each end. (Powerline, gas line, etc )
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I like 4x4 for a one person stand.
4x6 for 2. Even bigger is better.

Only trouble ive had is hunting a big stand by yourself.. if theres likely deer on each end. (Powerline, gas line, etc )

That’s the thing I don’t like about a big stand.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I built two that are 4x6 so that two could sit in them. Usually do not have two adults in them but have and adult that is supervising a kid.

For what it is worth the ones I build are 5x6, not 4x6 as I previously posted. Getting old and memory needs time to recollect data. The 5 foot depth gives enough for a bow hunter to draw without crowding himself.
I like one man ladderstands that are built wide. 30" seat.
6x4, 5x5, 6x5 all acceptable. Key is being able to fit both boys with me. When I’m by myself I don’t usually last long in the blind anyway.
6x6 would be my favorite.
I like whatever size will keep me dry on those crappy Oct days.
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Same.
We’ve gravitated toward 4 X 8’. Plenty of room for two and any extra gear or clothes.
5x5 is just right for hunting alone, but I feel a little cramped when my daughter is with me, especially with a tripod shooting rest in the blind with us. 5x6 makes quite a difference, but my 6x6 is better yet.
I like 4x6, as you can keep 2 roller chairs in it. 4x5 works well enough, but is a bit tight for 2 hunters. Very few of my stand locations have 4-way views, so I turn the stands to where a solo hunter never has to move long-ways across the stand to get to another window to shoot. I keep a length of 1x4 board in each of the bigger stands to give a shooter an adjustable center rail for the strongside elbow. A 4x4 stand is perfect for one hunter and I have several of those too.
I build them 5x6 with the roof being 6'7" in the front and 6'2" in the rear.
Plenty of room for 2 people and gear.
Last couple i made with 7’ in the front, 6’6” in the back.

Local discount / salvage lumber place usually has 4x7 sheets of siding..

Years ago, when the Masonite plant still made “Masonite” siding, you could buy the QA sheets ( had like a 2” hole cut in) for cheap. Like $3 a sheet.
24"x 30"x 18' high

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Yup. Lets you set your rifle aside while you glass, eat, pee, etc. They can be a chore to erect, but for a semi-permanent installation, they are very nice.

That said, I think Grandpa’s treestand days are pretty much over. The wife and I dragged one in a half a mile last year and got it up, but that’s getting tough, and probably the best “opportunity” for disaster. I’ll just have to relocate my efforts a bit to cover that doesn’t require man-made elevation.
Built eight 4x4 box stands 30+ years ago and they still work great. All our newer box stands we build are 4x6 and 6x8. Put a galvanized roof with a 6" overhang with a drip edge and keep them painted they'll last a long time.
We made ours to seat 2 hunters but in a pinch 3 might fit.

Now days they get built 4x6 and they all have a 9x12 pitch roof so even with a hole it has to be a hard driven rain to get in.

They all also have a propane bathroom heater to make those cold days not be so hard to sit all day.

There is enough room to stand up in the center as i am/was 6'2".
Originally Posted by SKane
Mine as well but once in a while on a cold wet windy morning I pull my old azz out the bed and go sit in a shooting house on a food plot or a blind on a logging road crossing.
We have a variety of sizes from a small 4x4 box that's easy to swivel around in and shoot 300+ degrees in to "The Condo" which is big enough for a couple of people to camp out inside of. Then of course a variety of 17' ~ 21' tree stands scattered about. The main feature that most of our box stands have is that they're sometimes a bit over-engineered simply because the guys I hang out with like building stuff & breaking out the heavy equipment.

Originally Posted by odonata
We have a variety of sizes from a small 4x4 box that's easy to swivel around in and shoot 300+ degrees in to "The Condo" which is big enough for a couple of people to camp out inside of. Then of course a variety of 17' ~ 21' tree stands scattered about. The main feature that most of our box stands have is that they're sometimes a bit over-engineered simply because the guys I hang out with like building stuff & breaking out the heavy equipment.

Wood goes to hell in a few years. I prefer metal, less work and lasts forever. I have platforms that are 40 years old. I took about 3 days to build the platform for this stand. Put it up one morning.

Originally Posted by hanco
Wood goes to hell in a few years. I prefer metal, less work and lasts forever. I have platforms that are 40 years old. I took about 3 days to build the platform for this stand. Put it up one morning.

Agreed! If it had been my project, I would have made different choices. When I showed up to help, there was a pile of lumber already there so I was just "the muscle" on this particular setup. I bought two really nice metal tree stands for my contribution.

This last deer season, a coworker was kind enough to invite me out to hunt on his family's lease but when I got there I was assigned a wooden stand that I had some serious doubts about so I stayed on the ground instead. Not my favorite material by a long shot having taken a hard fall one night after sunset when a wooden rung ripped off a ladder because of rotten screws. I think metal is the better investment & one serious injury will convince most people of that.
The one I hunt out the most is a 6X6, and it is on a wagon where it could be moved if needed, but has sat in the same spot for 4 years. One of my granddaughters has usually hunted with me some, so the size is perfect. I had a 4X6 on 8 foot stilts that I'd hunted out of for many years, but it was blown over and pretty much destroyed during a strong wind storm. I'll build it back the same size, and probably move it. I also was given a piece of old playground equipment that would make a good 4X4 blind if I decide to work on it.

The reason I like the blinds I hunt out of are primarily for comfort and I don't have to worry about the deer smelling me. I have Little Buddy heaters in mine, and can sit there in whatever weather we're having, without having to suffer through the conditions. Believe me when I say that I've spent enough climbing trees and sitting up there precariously on a limb or a little piece of wood, afraid that if I moved, I'd fall. I've killed a bunch of deer like that over the years.........but hunting out of the blinds I use now, has been just as successful, if not more so.
I have a 4x8 with two office chairs, a small table, 8x12 shelf on the high side, small heater, stove and collapsible camp potty.
I like 5'x6 1/2'. Room for two office chairs and sometimes a metal folding chair when two grandkids are along.
Down to the hunting camp, 4'x8' works fine. When bow hunting around my home, 1800 sq ft is about right.
My blinds here in Idaho are built on the ground out of clippings. I usually pull them apart when done. If rain or a squall might come in, I’ll tarp it
My blind is 4 x 6 and sits 2 OK. 5 x 7 would probably be the optimum size for 2- 3 people (adult with youths)
I usually use a rhino 150 pop up. 5’x 5’ 5 1/2’ tall.
My blind is an aluminum framed 5’x7’. It is permanently mounted on a trailer. The tongue is removed once set in place. The tailgate folds up to block the door & chained/locked. The entire rig weighs +/- 850 lbs..
The best one I’ve built was a 5x8. Plenty of leg room and plenty of room for kids.
Currently, I hunt out of a 7'×3.5'.
It's set up to accommodate 2 adults and 1 youngster.
...or one crippled up old fart that likes to be able to stand and stretch or sit.
Broken bones and joint replacements make me design stuff for comfort.

Originally Posted by WAM
I like a 6 or 7 foot x 4 foot. Easy to stretch out in a pinch and small enough to heat. Not enough leg room or swivel room in anything smaller. Some of them at our hunt club are smaller, but I don’t use them. I’ll get in one of my ladder stands or ground blind instead.

Hey WAM! FB here! Good to see you around. Hope this finds you well, sir!
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
24"x 30"x 18' high

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If i die/go missing during deer season, one of these will be a good place to start the search.
I "usta" like tree stand hunting. But I also "usta" bounce when I hit the ground.
Now I just go "splat"!
Therefore, I don't get no lower than taters nor higher than corn.
I hunt a box blind about 2 feet off the ground.
I like them 4 foot by 4 foot by 7 foot high. I like to be able to look out all 4 sides without moving my chair. I can see 3 sides turning my head, turn chair 1/4 turn to see the other

This!

I built mine 4x4 and tall enough to stand up to stretch from time to time, perfect size for one hunter shooting out all windows with just a swivel chair, also fit my sons when they were younger but was tight. Also, making them 4x4 save is wood expense and 4x6, 5x5 etc goes up exponentially with wood prices being what they and 4x8 plywood being standard. If I were just building one today, I might make it 4x6 but not sure.
Originally Posted by 257Bob

This!

I built mine 4x4 and tall enough to stand up to stretch from time to time, perfect size for one hunter shooting out all windows with just a swivel chair, also fit my sons when they were younger but was tight. Also, making them 4x4 save is wood expense and 4x6, 5x5 etc goes up exponentially with wood prices being what they and 4x8 plywood being standard. If I were just building one today, I might make it 4x6 but not sure.

Wood has gone down, but still tough on the wallet
I guess if you had kids it would be nice, but I hate sitting in the things. You're not really in the woods.
I'm a big guy. I've got the same dimensions as John Wayne age-for-age. Right now, I'm right around Cahill, US Marshall. My sons make me look tiny.

Big guy means big gear. My outer layer fills a G.I. duffel bag. I need room.

Big guy marries big girl. My kids have names like Moose and Angus. I managed a couple of years squeezing #2, Moose, into a buddy stand with me. When #3, Angus, started, we went one season in the buddy stands and then switched to ground blinds. A buddy stand is plenty roomy for me alone.

In 2003, I built my first box blind It was made from a packing crate, skid runners and large pallet. It's roughly 4X8' and the saltbox roof gives me room to stand.
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

In 2009, I built my luxury box, Midway. It's 5X9' and works so that 2 hunters can sit back-to-back, or side-to-side, looking out the same window. Again, I did a saltbox roof. It gives me standing-up room without a lot of extra height.

In 2017, I built Hollywood. It's 5X7', set up as an open platform. Again, it is set up so 2 hunters can sit back-to-back or side-to-side. This is where #1 granddaughter, Mooselette, likes to hunt. She just passed 5 feet, and the side-to-side setup is getting cozy.

I like a thick medium sized bush or a strategic rock outcropping, or did back when I could draw a tag.

Anymore an eastern or mid western deer blind over a good field or trail looks more attractive...old age. wink
4 x7 7 feet high in the front. Room for 2 chairs and a heater on a propane tank between them. In case my wife goes.
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I prefer no stand at all. I mostly hunt from the ground.

I like fair chase too. 👍
I sit out in the open on a milk crate, fallen tree or rock and use anything naturally occurring in the environment to break up my profile and provide a little camouflage. When I have to sit in a heated shack to hunt deer I’m done.
Started out hunting out of the standard 4x4 blinds.
Got my first lease as an adult and built myself a 4x6. Works great for one person and a good chair but 2 people it can be tight.

Eventually my wife started hunting and wanted a big roomy blind so I built a 5x8 for her because she liked to stretch out on early mornings and nap until she could see well enough to start hunting.

That 5x8 was the game changer. Plenty of room for two with nice chairs. After having our first child I decided to drop the 4x6 and built a 6x8.

6x8 is huge. The only real downside to it and the 5x8 is not being able to easily hunt out of either side window without scooting around. But it’s very quiet and solid and not to hard to do unless they’re a deer right on top of you.
We are in the process of replacing my mother deck that was originally built in 1984, all of the support structure is original including the ground-contact 4x4 posts. Now I will admit it's rotten and needs replacing but it's going on 39 years old. All wood is basic treated southern pine. A deer stand built with treated pine and painted from time to time should last 20 plus years as long as it's designed to it doesn't catch and hold water in any spots. I've built about a half dozen and never had a bit of trouble with any of them.

I always built 4x4, once you go beyond that lumber becomes exponentially more expensive if you are building several and cost is of any concern.
I hate sitting in a blind. I would rather get broken country and glass and stalk.
© 24hourcampfire