Home
Posted By: saddlesore deer draws - 05/31/23
CPW drew deer tags tags this morning. I will be going on an eastern plains deer hunt in late October.
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: deer draws - 05/31/23
Saddlesore, there are some really big deer out here near Wray!
Posted By: TheKid Re: deer draws - 05/31/23
Luck was on my side too! I’ll be back in the old familiar spot in the camp with the big green army tent for the 3rd rifle season. I usually buy a bull tag but I’ll be chasing a big buck this fall. Been over 20 years since I killed a big one, hopefully the stars align in November.
Posted By: bbassi Re: deer draws - 05/31/23
didn't draw 77 second. Second year in a row. That used to be a reliable every other year (1 point) unit.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: deer draws - 06/01/23
I drew Kansas last year to hunt family property, shot a 164 day one. Invited my good friend and son to enter draw this year, they drew, I did not! I guess I'm guiding this year!
Posted By: MAC Re: deer draws - 06/01/23
Just put in for a point this year without a 2nd choice. I now have 20 deer points. Normally I do a point as first choice and one of those season antlerless select hunts for the area around unit 102 as a 2nd choice. This way I get the point and get a whitetail doe but my work schedule is different this year and I didn't want to buy a tag I may not be able to use.

I really need to decide what to cash my points in for.
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: deer draws - 06/01/23
Originally Posted by MAC
Just put in for a point this year without a 2nd choice. I now have 20 deer points. Normally I do a point as first choice and one of those season antlerless select hunts for the area around unit 102 as a 2nd choice. This way I get the point and get a whitetail doe but my work schedule is different this year and I didn't want to buy a tag I may not be able to use.

I was in the same situation a few years ago. Having that many points got to be a burden. I finally drew and was glad to get it over with.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: deer draws - 06/01/23
Originally Posted by MAC

Whitetails took a big hit from EHD in few year ago in all that local. I hunt a little west of there and when we would run 12-20 whitetails out the corn when combining, now we see 3-4. Unit 103 ( Bonney reservoir), you could count 70-80 in the co-op hay fields, now it is 6-7. 103 and part of 109 have the limited WT doe license for the January hunt,

Arickaree River bottom (102) use to be known for some big bucks, but I have not heard anything for a few years. I assume you have access to private land out there. Also there is a season choice draw.
Posted By: MAC Re: deer draws - 06/01/23
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Arickaree River bottom (102) use to be known for some big bucks, but I have not heard anything for a few years. I assume you have access to private land out there. Also there is a season choice draw.

My family homesteaded in Wray and some are still there. I can access somewhere between 10K and 15K acres on a phone call. That's why I always did the anterless season choice hunt. But this year it ain't gonna happen.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: deer draws - 06/02/23
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by saddlesore

My family homesteaded in Wray and some are still there. I can access somewhere between 10K and 15K acres on a phone call. That's why I always did the anterless season choice hunt. But this year it ain't gonna happen.

Always wanted to hunt that country. Had an antelope tag years ago
© 24hourcampfire