Home
I made my first one when I was 16, so this is my 54th in a row. I didn’t make opening morning a few years ago when Wifeys uncle had his funeral, but hunted that afternoon.
I missed a few due to work when I was younger. Missed a couple whole seasons due to work and illness too {pneumonia}. Probably made it out for 40 opening days.
This year will be 51 in a row!
My 43rd this coming fall, the good Lord willing.

Never missed a single one.
Missed out on a few... didn't draw a tag one year 15ish years back, and missed a couple because of work.

*added later*

Looking back, minus the ones I know I missed for sure, probably hunted 15-16 rifle/shotgun openers.
36 apparently. I missed one in 2015. New job and couldn't get off
34 years and no regrets
First deer season was 1973.
Made a good many.

Did work offshore for 13 yrs.. 2 wks on, 2 wks off. Missed a few.

The vol fire house up the road from the deer camp always cooked fish or bbq plates opening day for their yearly fundraiser.

Always looked forward to that. Those country folks sure can cook… men did the meat, ladies everything else.
I've messed a few, you fish when it's calm and hunt when the wind blows.
Man, honestly don't know.

In my younger years I missed a good number of not just openers, but entire seasons, while overseas.
None.....Aug 15 opening day every year here......average temp is mid 90s, 80% humidity.
Haven’t often deer hunted opening day, but won’t say never. As SCgman1 says, too hot down here. Up north, duck season was on and, where I lived we had about a six or seven week season. Probably hunted more last days than openers.
Two, in Colorado, as an adder to elk when they (deer) were over the counter. Elk was always a draw. Three years to draw elk in 1995 and, I believe, twelve years these days for first season 49.
I’ve been lucky, I believe every one since 1975

KC
If we're talking bow. Missed every one since I was about 15. Too hot for this guy. Rifle, only the college years.
This year will be my 56th season. Started when I was 14. Slowing down now - pretty much just a couple days here and there per season, I just don't feel like killing them as much as I did 50 years ago!
Killed my first Mule Deer in 1948 I've hunted every season sense except the 3 years i spent in South East Asia. I'm old but looking forward to this season coming up, every year for the last few years I think this will be my last year one of these years I'll be right. Rio7
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
This year will be my 56th season. Started when I was 14. Slowing down now - pretty much just a couple days here and there per season, I just don't feel like killing them as much as I did 50 years ago!

I feel the same way, not as mad at them as I once was. I like trapping and killing pigs, enjoy watching the sun come up. At 70, who knows when it will be the last???
I have missed a few openers in 55 or so years. We alternate between birds and deer.
Work used to get on the way, and up north here our season starts early , so the bugs tend tp keep.ypu pit of the bush. Unless it is windy!
Cat
PA and NY Openers…..70 or so
This year will be #50 for me. Still look forward to it but not nearly as much as I used to.
I have hunted every KY Rifle Opener since 2001. Before that, it was spotty.
I had access to Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky at various times. Most years I hunted the Bow Opener in one state or the other. Some years, I hunted the Shotgun Opener in Ohio or Indiana.
I can't remember missing a year since the early 80s, but in 1999, I had to crawl out from the Ohio Bow Opener. I had a Muldar's Neuroma on my left foot that ended up requiring surgery. I wasn't walking right again until January.
Opening day was always a huge social event when I was a kid. We would have about 25 guys out to the ranch and do a big barbecue. Back in those days we used to dry farm oats and flax and we had a lot of deer. Started when I was 9 with my own rifle sitting in the back of grandpa's truck. Left California when I was 65 so that would be 56 minus one for my Dad's funeral.
This looks like it will be the 34th one that I've carried a deer rifle (hot of course). But I've been going longer than that without carrying.
here in Northern Minnesota 58 years openers for me. deer opens are a holiday weekend ,social event for many of us up here ,now days the party starts on Thursday before the season i stay at deer camp now for about 3 weeks total. the schools in Minnesota up here don`t have school on Monday of opener either these kids up here love to hunt too ! in Warroad, Minnesota there is a big buck contests for the youth ,women and adult men its on the radio every day who`s in the lead by weighed weights.
44 straight, hoping for 1 more this season.
Over the last 38 years of my hunting career I have been fortunate enough to experience at least 70+ opening deer season days (bow, muzzleloader, rifle) in multiple States and I have loved every one and i am also very thankful for each and every one....Good hunting...Hb
Something a little over 50. There were years in my early working career that I could not get the time off.
51 been a blast!
Haven't missed an opener since 1968. Do the math.
Started when I was 14, so 58 I guess.
I haven't missed many since I was 20. If I am not off work I take vacation.
I missed 1 year of Pa the year we moved to TN but did hunt TN opening day that uear. That said, I've made every opening day in Pa/TN since 1975 as a hunter but began in 1973 as an observer. I've also hunted several other states opening days as well - CO, WY, NY, OH, KY, AL, and maybe a few more. I guess that'd be 48 or 50
depending on my hunting status. Holy cow I'm getting old.

My Dad missed 2 when he was in Germany while in the military but goes back to 1957. We cleaned up a stand for him last weekend.......
Haven't missed one since I started in '71. Add another 10 years for tagging along with my dad and gramps before I was old enough.
Started at age 12 in '66 and haven't missed one since!
It was a BIG deal at our house back then and still is.
Originally Posted by RIO7
Killed my first Mule Deer in 1948 I've hunted every season sense except the 3 years i spent in South East Asia. I'm old but looking forward to this season coming up, every year for the last few years I think this will be my last year one of these years I'll be right. Rio7

Keep the pedal down Rio! This is #52 for me.
i should mention this too i now have a new hunting partner my Grandson Alex he is 11 now and that`s legal here in Minnesota so i purchased him a Ruger #1 257 Roberts this will be his 2nd year deer opener. oh how many of us think back when we started our 1st rifle deer season . i remember cold nasty weather and was told to sit there tell dad got back ,which i did not do . i wish all a great 2023 fall hunting , be safe . Pete53
63 years and counting.
52 years hunting. I missed one season after my girlfriend was shot by an idiot, she survived.
Originally Posted by pete53
i should mention this too i now have a new hunting partner my Grandson Alex he is 11 now and that`s legal here in Minnesota so i purchased him a Ruger #1 257 Roberts this will be his 2nd year deer opener. oh how many of us think back when we started our 1st rifle deer season . i remember cold nasty weather and was told to sit there tell dad got back ,which i did not do . i wish all a great 2023 fall hunting , be safe . Pete53

You too Pete.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by RIO7

Keep the pedal down Rio! This is #52 for me.

Hell yeah Rio.
74, started when i was 12
It has been 65 years with some gaps, minor stuff like military, education, work and family. Most years I did get in a couple of days to hunt at least. First deer hunt was with Jack Ingram in OK in 1958 after we moved to OK, he was a life long memorable character, son of Baltimore Colts' Jack Ingram. Came out of the woods near 9:00 went to the Claremont Hotel to eat Breakfast, where we going, you will see, wow did I see... A total lifetime memory seeing the inside of that Hotel as a young shooter and lover of the gun makers art.
This season will be 39 years. But, you did ask about openers. I've missed a few opening days over the years.
I’ve missed or skipped more than I’ve hunted. In 30 seasons in Washington, I hunted the late season more that the regular October season. Since 2005, I’ve only missed one.
Current run of consecutive openers is 31. I missed some when I was in college but have made every one since I got out of grad school.
This year will be 50. I've never missed one.
Originally Posted by flatfish11
This year will be 50. I've never missed one.

Same here. You must be a geezer. Nov 15 is a holiday here.
51 and counting, hopefully many more!
1971 when I was 9. I might have missed a couple back then, But damn sure none since 1974.
Sixty............
Missed 3 years while I served in Germany so 47 years. Lord willing maybe I will get 60. Raised both my children on wild game, made them strong and healthy. Taught them both to hunt so I never had to hunt for them.
Originally Posted by MS9x56
Missed 3 years while I served in Germany so 47 years. Lord willing maybe I will get 60. Raised both my children on wild game, made them strong and healthy. Taught them both to hunt so I never had to hunt for them.

good for you ! i did that to so son and daughter know how to take care of fish and game, my son was like a wild game butcher saint while going to college in Duluth ,Mn. he lived like the movie Animal House they had plenty fun i believe , but if someone caught fish or shot game and they had a feast my son Cory cleaned all the game and fish for the boys at the house they had no ideal how to clean game or fish and then my son cooked it for them. every time i visited him empty beer cans all over , garbage cans full of beer cans and pizza boxes too must have been plenty parties ! but my wild son did finish his 4 year degree in 5 years , now works for the DNR . son is now a fitness nut ,when son and i were out west had a big bull down during archery season back in the mountains was told to get a mule or horse to get that bull out i said naw Cory my son will do just fine with my help. Daughter was much easier , cleaner and a over achiever 7 years graduated with honors and is a Doctor of Medicine . now i get the privilege to teach grandson to hunt and fish then learn to clean game.
50 and counting.
Been hittin opening day / weelend for 50 years this november. I look forward to opening day like most kids look forward to christmas morning !!!!
My folks weren't deer hunters so a bit north of 50 starting about 1970. I did get my Dad out for a couple of openers when he was 78 or so. Older BIL must be pushing 65 openers. He is slowing down but still eager to set up in the hedgerow behind my pole barn.

Interesting Campfire demographics, especially this thread. Unless some of the younger guys aren't pitching in.
This year will be my 46th opener. I started when I was 10.
This would be my 50th but missed 1977 & 1978 while I was away in college.
Sinc 1969 when I turned 12 in Pa
This year will be 61.
48 give or take. My first one was in 1975. I did miss 2 or 3 during my time in the military.
A lot. Missed only two.

-Ken
This year will make 35, Lord willing. My first was 1988 when I was 12. My dad shot a 7 point, his biggest buck up to that time. I can still see that deer coming around the hill…….
a note from my past about deer season had a girlfriend bitch all the time about me fishing ,hunting ,cold beer with the boys . she said you go hunting for this deer opener and i am gone , my comment was don`t let the door hit your arse on the way out. never did mis a deer opener and married a pretty little blond sweetheart " stubborn Norweigen " who would pack my lunch for me to go deer hunting and we are still eating plenty venison . my wife is one for me will F--K - fight or hold the light and she had 3 brothers and this farm girl can fight .
Coming up on 35 seasons since I started carrying a gun.
Missed one opening day in the last 49 years. Was L aid off and got called back 3 days before the opener. Did hunt 4 years prior, but not on the opener.
Got another coming Sept 30!
56......OK I'm old!
I really have no idea. I did hunt opening muzzleloader in Kansas last week.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
60, missed 3 durning a tour with Uncle Sam, 68-71.
Started in 62, and have missed a few, not many. Opening day is a family tradition! As the old guy now, I make sure the kids and grand kids always have a camp! We have a great time.
61 which is the same number of seasons, that I have hunted elk.
ED, thats a beautiful buck, congratulations.
About 55, but I’ve made multiple openers in about a dozen states and Europe also.
41 for me,never missed opener,but was a little green a few times.
60 this November.
53 missing this year's didn't draw a tag.
22 years for the PA rifle opener. Don't plan on ever missing one.

So far so good
Next Saturday will be 39th opener in a row for
Me. Started at 10 and haven’t missed one yet
I started deer hunting when I was 13 years old, I'm turning 74 in a few days, only missed a couple of openers in that timespan. Don't know many who can top that run.
49 if I live to see November 11th.
© 24hourcampfire