Home
Was at a customers house yesterday, every time I'm there he has a buck on the wall we always discuss. It's a main frame 6 pt. I don't care what it scores, it would still be impressive to me.

But just for reference. It green scored over 140. After 6 mo's drying there was a local sportsman dinner and there was an official boone and crocket man there to score any racks people brought in.

Official gross was 138, he has a 3" kicker off the rear tine on the one side so when that was deducted he scored 135. It's one heck of a buck with what's there to work with. Love to look at those big heavy older bucks.
When we were in high school my buddy shot an ancient old 6 pointer. He was likely 8 or 9 years old and dressed about 40 pounds heavier than a normal nice sized buck around here. He had huge bases and was about 18” wide with big heavy beams and brows about 5” long.

We weren’t big on binos back then and I’m sure he just saw a big framed buck and shot it. Pretty cool trophy.
We got a few pics of this guy[son and I].
He's not massive but pretty impressive for a six pt.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I got him last year-came out in the exact spot that all of our pics caught him.
I feel confident that I had a chat with him one morning on my way out our drive heading to work.
Told him that I hoped to see him soon under different circumstances. It took a year.
He was the biggest[body & antlered] spike that I had seen, maybe 14" wide.
Almost 16" inside the next year when I could actually put tape to him.
Sadly, we have nothing but basaltic soils in this region. If we had some limestone, we might grow some really great bucks like those on Utah's Antelope Island or Colorado's Arsenal.

A couple mulies here in SE Oregon that Cookie ran down this fall.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Never scored an animal to date, so no idea how these might measure up.
Big 8s are Where it's at for me. Not crowded with points.

My biggest 8 was 135sh green, less than 12" inside. Never officially scored.
I have been Bowhunting since 1979 along the Big Sioux River in Eastern South Dakota.
Here is my biggest 4X4 to date, 19 inch inside spread and scores 153 3/8" Pope and Young.

A friend of mine shot a big fork horn last season. 18" inside spread, heavy beams, just crab claws on the ends. Field dressed 160 lbs. Another friends father killed the biggest six point I've ever seen. Heavy beams, 19" spread, 14" G 2's. A very impressive looking buck despite the lack of points.
I don't have any pics, but my cousin shot an 8pt years ago that grossed 181 and netted 176 IIRC. Still the biggest framed rack I've every held.
Originally Posted by pointer
I don't have any pics, but my cousin shot an 8pt years ago that grossed 181 and netted 176 IIRC. Still the biggest framed rack I've every held.

I would love to see a picture of that deer.
A 170s 8 point is my dream buck.
I know some Cooks from Vale. Any relation?
Don't know if you're impressed, but the kids sure seemed happy!

Attached picture Big_Six Small.jpeg
Dog, too.

Attached picture Big_Six_2 Small.jpeg
My favorite….

The muley below hung out around our property for at least 3 years. He never changed from the big forky you see and every time I saw him he still had velvet no matter the month. My guess is he didn't have nuts. He hung around with does and small bucks and seemed really submissive to any buck that even looked at him funny, despite the fact he dwarfed everything around. An absolute tank in body-size when standing beside a normal sized buck.

Pic was taken in snow-storm is why they look so grainy.

Oh Baby….. Forks, forks and more forks. That’s a beaut. 😁
Lonny:

Given those guys? don't wear themselves out with the rut, they do get huge. Never shot one, but I suspect they're packing serious fat.

Holy smokes - pretty sure that'd be the holy grail for me. Gobs of mass, big main beams and seriously long 2's and 3's.
Originally Posted by Coyote10

I would love to see a picture of that deer.
A 170s 8 point is my dream buck.
I will see if I can track any down, but I doubt it. The mount hung in a gas station/archery shop for years, which was fortunate as his house trailer burnt down. Not sure if he ended back up with it or not when the shop closed.

Crazy story, he bought a shotgun and tag the night before opener. Went out on his dad's property with his girlfriend. They were sitting on a log smoking cigarettes when she said there's a deer, shoot that one. Bang at 30yds. He wasn't going to get it mounted as he didn't have the money. The local taxidermist/meat processor offered to do it for free if he could use it in some taxidermy contests.
Originally Posted by Lonny
The muley below hung out around our property for at least 3 years. He never changed from the big forky you see and every time I saw him he still had velvet no matter the month. My guess is he didn't have nuts. He hung around with does and small bucks and seemed really submissive to any buck that even looked at him funny, despite the fact he dwarfed everything around. An absolute tank in body-size when standing beside a normal sized buck.

Pic was taken in snow-storm is why they look so grainy.

Maybe an antlered doe, given the behavior? That does happen once in a blue moon.
My first mule deer, shot when I was 14 or 15 was a 27” forky with a little crab claw on one side to make him a 2x3. I had missed a smaller buck the day before and was pretty bummed. When I saw him stand up out of the oak brush I just saw that he was wider than his ears and let him have it and was shocked when I walked up and he didn’t have any points. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Know a guy who did the same thing on a buck back in the 70’s. Jumped him and shot him from behind because he was super wide. Walked up on a 40” wide 2x2.

Wish I had a better photo but I killed this 6 point with my bow years ago. Good mass on the horns and a really big body for Alabama. But just a 6 point.
Saw this guy a couple years ago. Tall and narrow forked mule deer with a huge body on him.

I love those big six pointers. I dunno why
My narrow 8.

This 8 point doesn't have an impressive rack but he was the alpha buck in that area. He was huge for WV.
Very cool pics. Some of those are likely really old and on the decline. My dad and uncles always told stories of my great uncle shooting a 220+ pound white tail spike horn buck that was over 10 years old. Thinking I’d get that mounted just because.
Youngest son shot this one quite a few years ago. Absolute tank of a deer. We ended up shooting three with velvet antlers like this on our place over the course of a few years.

I shot another spike with smaller antlers, but an even bigger body.
Oldest son shot a 2x3, but was the smallest body of the three.
On each deer, the testicles were the size of a thumbnail. Loaded with fat and fantastic table fare.

My business partner and I have some property in SW Mississippi. The first year we had it, he shot an absolutely ancient 6 pt that was still the heaviest deer taken off the property (240 lbs) and an incredibly massive rack. There is no agriculture near the property and we’re surrounded by National Forest so it gets a good bit of pressure. The buck was very fat and seemed to be in good shape but there’s no telling how old he actually was. The teeth were very worn so he was well over 5.5.
I love big old 6ptr's......never killed one, but hopefully one day it will happen.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I like this one!
Looks like a huge jackalope!
Killed this one with my bow on a place we used to hunt. Had pictures of him for a couple years and he always looked the same. One afternoon I was watching a white oak trying to shoot a doe and he shows up mid afternoon. I don’t know exactly what he weighed, bet he was around 225, but he was really fat, heavy and filled up the back of my pioneer!
Neat photos & some cool stories.
I got this forky mulie 2 years ago. He was the biggest forky I've ever shot, by a good margin. In a few more years he might have made it to the whopper category.

Used to do work for a guy that had the hugest 7 PT (eastern count) that I have ever seen. G 2s were 12-14" and the inside spread was 22". The plaque said the deer weighed 334lbs. We just don't grow them that big here. It was killed in the early 1970s if I remember correctly which could have put him as a descendant of some of the deer that our Wildlife and Fisheries had brought in from Wisconsin or Minnesota in the late 1950s. The buck was killed with the use of hounds to run him out of the swamps. He was shot with a .243Winchester.

DAMN!
Shot this one many years ago on my place in Paso Robles. Only a forky but good size for a blacktail.
These were in my neighbors yard back in 06.
[Linked Image]
This one walked out in front of our house one morning last year. Never saw him again. No brow tines, “just” a 6pt.

© 24hourcampfire