Home
Posted By: Southerntier8 NY- Rifle Bill - 06/22/07
From yesterday's Elmira Paper:

ALBANY
Rifle measure awaits governor's signature
A bill sponsored by state Assemblymen Tom O'Mara, R-Horseheads, and Jim Bacalles, R-Corning, that could allow hunters to use a rifle during open season for deer and bear in Chemung, Steuben and Yates counties passed Wednesday in the state Assembly.

The decision to pass the bill was based upon a growing deer population and a decline in hunting which has resulted in increased crop damage and collisions with automobiles, according to a news release from O'Mara's office.

"The Southern Tier is a terrific spot for hunting, and as farmers and drivers know all too well, there is an abundance of deer in the Southern Tier," O'Mara said in the news release. "By allowing hunters to use rifles, we will make the Southern Tier a more desirable destination for sportsmen, while helping keep the deer population in check."

The legislation has passed the Senate and Assembly and now awaits the governor's signature.

I have to admit that I am surprised the bill passed the anti-gun assembly. Really hoping the governor signs it.

Posted By: dubePA Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/22/07
I've hunted along the border area on the PA side for over 40 years. Never made any sense to me why the southern tier counties of western NY were limited to shotgun slugs for deer. The rural terrain and habitats on both sides of the border are nearly identical: Woods and agricultural, with small human populations.

Made even less sense a year or two ago, when NY made some of those counties "rifle" counties, but continued to require shotguns (and inlines) in Steuben County, since that county typically leads the state in deer kills.

Hope it passes. If it does, will probably start buying a non-resident tag for NY, since it's close to where I hunt in PA and NY's season overlaps our deer season. Good luck with your leftist Governor signing the bill.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/22/07
Interesting...

I've heard our bill was dead in the water before it even reached Albany...
Posted By: Hemlock_Ranger Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/22/07
I hope it passes. I grew up in Chemung county. We had alot of fun with the shotguns and slugs, but I rember some great bucks we could have gotten with a rifle. That was in the days before rifled barrels and sabots.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/23/07
Thats great, I hunt 1 mile from Steuben County in Ontario, close enough?
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/23/07
That it was DOA doesn't make sense. Did you hear why?

Must be the youth hunting bill went nowhere again.
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/23/07
For a couple of years now, I have been hunting in the town of Chemung. Lot of deer around. Good territory.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/23/07
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
That it was DOA doesn't make sense. Did you hear why?

Must be the youth hunting bill went nowhere again.

That it was/is rumor is the problem.

Hate to drag a politicians name through the mud without knowing the facts...but he is refusing to answer inquiries as to whether or not the rumor is true. No calls or letters have been answered that I know of. And I know there's been a bunch.

We had a town meeting with our NYS Assemblyman Bill Parment, who in fact wrote and submitted past Rifle Bills....and modified THIS one so that, he told us personally, it would pass. The modification he made to his own bill eliminated a populated portion of the county up near Lake Erie and we were assured that if this one didn't pass none could.

Mmmmmmmm.......

Now we hear rumor that once Parment got to Albany with the bill in hand he allowed his peers to talk him out of it. Looks good to us for trying and kept promises in the assembly he intended to keep, perfect politics.

He's been invited to talk on a radio program for an hour about it and his office has yet to accept...

I'd like to think it's all speculative rumor but he is NOT talking......
Posted By: firearms44 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/23/07
I've hunted Orange & Ulster county for the last 10 years and have always used rifle. The place we hunt, the owner has several apple orchards plus he receives 100 pest permits and passes them out to his hunters. Have had good hunts in these counties. When I purchase my hunting lisence I always manage to obtain 2 anterless tags. Ken
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/23/07
I as well as many other hunters in Chautauqua county will be absolutely furious if they don't pass this bill. We've been trying to get this to pass for along time but I have to say it's moving very slow. I'm still waiting to get replies from assemblyman Parment and senator Catharine Young.
Posted By: blammer Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/24/07
Get your pistol chambered rifles now before they are scarce and over priced, just in case....
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/24/07
Jeremiah...

Glad to have you aboard here at the 'Fire.

Been thru Dunkirk a few times, and Fredonia, and Silvercreek...

Rt. 60 ends at a family restaurant there in Dunkirk, big blue building on the water, killer Greek menu.....
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/24/07
ANYTHING centerfire would be legal....if it passes.

Even .223 AI's with swirled handles and turret knobs............
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/24/07
Originally Posted by wildswalker

Now we hear rumor that once Parment got to Albany with the bill in hand he allowed his peers to talk him out of it. Looks good to us for trying and kept promises in the assembly he intended to keep, perfect politics.

That is a crock! I sense the need for some ballot box retribution.
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/24/07
Thanks wildswalker. The Restaurant is called Demitris, and yeah they do have pretty good greek food there. It's kinda funny I live right up the road from there but I have'nt been there in years.

Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/25/07
Last time I was at Demitri's I had a sweet little auburn haired Greek Food lovin' honey sittin' next to me...

I've often wondered what ever happened to her......
Posted By: 358Thumper Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/27/07
Great News, my area of NY just switched over 2 seasons ago. The whole state should switch IMO.
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/28/07
I know alot of guys in Chautauqua county that are gonna use rifles anyways. This is gonna get crazy if they just start breaking laws because of a two faced smoke blowing politician!!! I can't say I blame them, most of the state is open for rifles now so why not Chautauqua?
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/28/07
I can hunt most anything I want with a rifle in Chautauqua County...except deer.

I can shoot a Grouse, or a Rabbit, or a Squirrel with my '06 and it's legal.

My GMU is split by a county line. I can walk next door and kill a deer with a rifle but I can't hunt my own poperty with one.

I can, unless it's deer season, put the smack on woofs all the way out to March with any rifle I choose, at any time of day or night I choose.

I can tote a 15 inch barreled handgun, chambered in ANY centerfire round I choose and hunt deer with that but not with my Ruger #1 25-06.....

I can buy and hunt with rifled shotgun barrels and slug ammo that benifit from modern technology and perform darn near like a rifle but I can't hunt deer with my Rem 700 30-06.

I can hunt deer with any inline ML on the market in any configuration I want with any combo of powder/primer/bullet I choose...but my boy has to wait until he is sixteen and he can't use his Rem 700 .243......

If I had a grape farm in the "zone" that Assemblyman Bill Parment proposed to be excluded from this new bill for reasons of Saftey Concern....I could aquire damage permits and shoot a semi truck load of deer with any rifle I want at any time of year I wanted to do it.

I won't break any laws, cause Rifle Country is only a few minutes walk for me away, but if the Legislators expect me to support my county with dollars spent during deer season then they'd best let me hunt with a Rifle.

If they expect me to vote for them the next time....then let me hunt with my Rifles........
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/28/07
Very well put Wildswalker, that's the best damn thing i've read in a long time!!!! Have you ever thought about running for office??? I'm not gonna let these politicians make up the rules for me anymore, I tried it their way and all they did was pi$$ down my back and try to tell me it was raining. I have thirty three acres and from now on i'm hunting it my way!!!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/28/07
Roy,don't forget you call hunt coyote at NIGHT with a rifle!
I referenced woofs above, day or night....

I heard one time, second hand but from a Virginia Game Biologist, that what we have here is the Eastern Red Wolf, not the "same" as the western 'yote, ours are larger and more woofish in nature...

Dunno if all that's the exact truth or not but "woofs" sounds cooler than "'yotes".
I'm just inspired to be a loud mouth, opinionated, Free American Voter.......

Things to do in NY State:

Lower the minimum age for youth hunters, or eliminate an age limit altogether. That's working in many other states.....

Extend deer season thru December for bucks and a doe season into January....in the Southern Zone.

Move Spring Gobbler up two weeks.....

Make it legal to kill coyotes year round....

Bring an Early Bear Season to the Southern Zone to run concurrent with the Northern Zones' Season....there's enough of 'em now.

Get the US Congress to pass/act on the invasive species act to help support the Great Lakes, and return them to being the great fishery they once were...

Now that we've elected Eliot the Idiot and allowed Pety Grannis to become the DEC commish, it's time to see that was a mistake and move towards getting rid of both of 'em ASAP....

Vote State Sen. Cathy Young back into office because she is a true friend of Sportsmen.

Fire Assemblyman Bill Parment because he is not.............
Posted By: 358Thumper Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/29/07
Excellent post!!!!
Posted By: Boss Hoss Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/29/07
Yep--all good reasons not to live in NY.
Posted By: 358Thumper Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/29/07
I can say that I've never lived in New York but I've done 90% of my big game hunting there since I was 11 years old. It was so difficult for a kid to use an old birdgun for deer, so many misses .We just didn't know any better back then and there weren't any options anyways. Now they have super duper slug guns but I'm surprised I stayed with it now that I look back. Nowadays if you don't get your kid to score quick they may not pick up the sport ever. They'd rather be playing video games. The use of rifles would help bring back the hunters and continue the sport.

In my area hunting went so far south that we barely ever saw many hunters around anymore, opening day the first year they allowed rifle + saturday opener instead of Monday sounded like a war zone again just like it used to be 20+ years ago...I know it has boosted the sport again and they should do this throughout the state except maybe Long Island.
Posted By: Droptine Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/29/07
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss

Amen

DT
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/29/07
No ones ask'in ya Texans to move here anyhow.... grin
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/29/07
They couldn't handle it anyway...

Anything below 75 degrees makes 'em bow up and freeze to death.

They'd hafta take the wheels off'n they's house too and we all know how that ticks off a Texan........
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/29/07

They'd hafta take the wheels off'n they's house too and we all know how that ticks off a Texan........

Easy now... smile
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss

Mexicans is fewer though.

Heard ya'll havin' a good time with that.........
Originally Posted by Bart185

Easy now... smile

Laffin'......
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 06/29/07
Well Wildswalker if you ever run for office you've got my vote!! And as for William Parment I now know he's as useless as nipples on a chicken!!!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/07/07
I grew up there until I was 20. Moving out was a good thing to do. Why not just get rid of the City, and start a real state?!

After moving around the country for awhile, and then settling in the Dakotas, the amount of non-freedom in NYS is appalling. Going back for a visit feels like entering a communist country or something. And everyone just tolerates it because they're used to it. Not for me anymore.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/08/07
Only certain parts.

Us hillbillies ain't too bad off...............
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/08/07
It's official, William Parment wimped out again, he lied to the hunters of Chautauqua County by saying rifle hunting was gonna pass but in an article in the Dunkirk Evening Observer today he admitted that it's not gonna pass and he is'nt gonna let it pass until the sportsman and hunters can convince the public that it's the right thing to do???? Are you kidding me??? Since when is it up to the hunters to convince anti's that what we do is ok? Why should'nt those rat bastards have to convince us that rifle hunting is not good? Why is Parment putting the anti's beliefs before ours? He even admitted that those opposed are way out numbered, and the hunters that are for rifles were alot more organized. So what's the problem??? Parment likes to play both sides and his word means nothing!!! I don't know about the rest of you but I no longer support Parment, and I think it's up to the hunters of this county to let him know how you feel. his e-mail is [email protected] I plan on reminding him every chance I get of how pissed I am.
Got a link to that article, I got a [bleep] storm to start.......

Oh yeah, PM is inbound.
Found it....

The Observer
Posted By: Pygmy Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/09/07
Does anyone know if Spitzer has the signed the bill for Steuben, Chemung and Yates, yet..??

The paper last week said he signed 132 pieces of legislation into law...Wonder if the rifle bill is one of them...
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/11/07
It was delivered to him on July 6, but I don't know if it's been signed.
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/11/07
For all of us Chautauqua hunters that lying scum Parment really gave us a kick in the ballz, he shot us down for rifle hunting and then he voted yes for Chemung and Steuben. What a two faced scumbag!!! I'd like to use his old wrinkled nads as target practice.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/12/07
JJ- Don't candy coat it....tell us what you REALLY think!
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/12/07
Quote from the New York Outdoor News, July 13th 2007 edition......

A seperate bill that would have added much of Chautauqua County into the rifle zone never made it out of the Assembly's environmental conservation committee.

Assemblyman William Parment, D-North Harmony, the sponsor of that bill, said previously the Chautauqua County situation, which was to be on a one-year trial basis,"was somewhat controversial," with the counties sportmen's federation flip flopping between opposition and support of the move.

Ummm....never made it out of committee because Bill Parment himself kept it from going to the floor for a vote...right Bill Parment?

You admitted that, finally, in the Dunkirk Observer, didn't you...Bill Parment?

Why won't you take any calls on this Bill?

Or, answer any E-mails.....?

Ummm.... Bill, I was at the same meeting you were at, ya know the one that was standing room only at Falconer Rod and Gun? The one where I saw your car with the NYS Assemblyman's license plate parked about 300 yards up the road because you couldn't find a place closer and had to hike in because of all the PEOPLE that came to the meeting?

The meeting with Senator Cathy Young saying she would get this through the Senate? The meeting where the DEC said they would rather see us hunt with a Rifle because they feel it is SAFER? The meeting where County Executive Greg Edwards, a hunter himself, said he was in full favor of the Rifle Bill?

The meeting where even you recieved deafening applause from what YOU were saying........

Yeah, THAT one, THAT meeting........

You heard yourself there at THAT meeting, from the Federation President himself, that the Chautauqua County Sportsmen's Federation had at first been against the proposal, several years back. Then, last year the vote was close but not quite enough to give a nod. And THIS time around, this year, the Federation was in fact in favor of the Rifle Bill.

Friend, that's an organization representitive of Chautauqua Co. hunters going from non-supportive to full out approval.....that's not flip flopping, dude.

Flip floppin' is what you've done for the past THREE years on this issue.........

Mr. Parment you come to a meeting, attended by several hundred hunters who are in favor, you tell us all in public that you modified YOUR bill to easily pass, you said you will submit YOUR bill for a vote and then you decide to NOT submit YOUR bill for a vote, because you said there was a "few" voices of opposition.

I think the number of voices of opposition at that meeting was like ....6.

Controversial with who?

I don't see a ground swell of nay vote letters in the paper, or doom and gloom commentary on the Buffalo Evening News, the only local radio show talking about it is in definate FAVOR of it, the antis had their chance to show up at that meeting....six of them did.

Majority rules dude..............
Here's the article from the Observer the other day.....

County�s rifle bill still stalled in controversy

By TIM LATSHAW OBSERVER Staff Writer

7/8/2007 - It hasn�t been shot down, but hunters will have to continue waiting to see whether a bill permitting rifle hunting of deer and bear in Chautauqua County will ever make it through the state Legislature.

After passing overwhelmingly in the Senate in June, Senate bill S-3776 � which would permit rifle hunting of deer and bear in Chautauqua County south of Route 20 � was sent to the Assembly, where it was referred to the Environmental Conservation Committee and remained until the Assembly adjourned its 2007 session on June 22.

�The bill hasn�t been reported to the Rules Committee and hasn�t advanced to the floor for a vote by the whole Assembly, and I don�t expect that it will this session or this year,� Assemblyman William Parment (D-North Harmony) said. �Generally, we don�t consider legislation even in special session unless there is some compelling need, and I wouldn�t expect this to be considered this year. The bill will continue to be alive unless I were to strike the enacting clause, which I haven�t done.�

The attempt to permit rifle hunting in Chautauqua County during deer and bear season (it is currently allowed for small game) has been in a similar holding pattern for the past several years.

�There is a very vocal groundswell of support from area sportsmen and women and I have had a request for this bill for three years now,� said state Sen. Catharine Young (R-Olean), who introduced S-3776 in March.

According to Young, a bill had previously been introduced but was wiped out at the end of 2006 when a two-year cycle of the Legislature ended. The bill was reintroduced and later became part of a package of sportsmen-related bills pushed by state Sen. Dale Volker in June. The Senate passed S-3776 by a vote of 59-2.

Those in favor of passing the legislation cite additional rifle hunting as a draw to tourism and a help for the local economy. It may also prevent some local hunters from heading to Pennsylvania or the neighboring counties of Cattaraugus and Allegany � which were both allowed big game rifle hunting in 2005 � in order to use their preferred weapons.

�The counties that basically have (big game rifle hunting) have seen an increase in license sales and Chautauqua County has seen a decrease for the last two years; and that�s the first time in 12 years this has happened,� said Chautauqua County Sport Hunting and Fishing Coordinator Craig Robbins.

Young said that Cattaraugus and Allegany counties have had �very successful seasons� since rifle use was broadened.

�The DEC will tell you that rifle hunting is actually more accurate and cleaner than shotgun hunting,� she said. �This is a way for sportsmen to choose which style they want to use.�

While there is vocal support from sportsmen favoring the legislation, there are others who fear the power and long range of rifles (up to one mile or more) may lead to stray bullets unintentionally hitting in populated areas.

Parment said he has not brought the bill to the Assembly floor because of this opposition and its focus on safety.

�I continue to get letters and phone calls and e-mails from people in the county who oppose it, and I would say that the major concern of these people is safety,� Parment said. �There are some other concerns that are raised: some people feel that it would deplete the deer population; others philosophically feel that it isn�t as sporting hunting with a rifle � you get a mixture of views. But the one that is of principal concern to me is the safety issue.�

Chautauqua County has more people and is generally less hilly than either Cattaraugus or Allegany County, Parment said, believing that can make rifles more of a concern. Parment made the amendment to S-3776 that excepts land north of Route 20 from the bill based on the notion that the area near the lake is especially flat. He also added a one-year �sunset� to the bill to provide a chance to evaluate the hunting season before deciding whether to make the changes permanent.

Parment said he made the amendments in an effort to appease opposition to the bill, but that it has not worked very well.

Both Parment and Young said they have heard more from those in favor of the bill, who appear more organized than the opposition against it. Case in point is a public meeting that was arranged in March at the Falconer Rod & Gun Club. Both the assemblyman and senator attended, as did County Executive Greg Edwards and members of the DEC and county sheriff�s department.

The public spoke up for both sides, but there was a clear majority in favor of the bill. Parment made his amendments following the meeting, giving some in favor of the bill hopes that it would soon pass. Instead, some feel frustrated that another wait is at hand.

�At that meeting, there was probably 90 percent in favor of the rifle bill being passed in Chautauqua County,� Robbins said. �Then this happened.�

But Parment, who still sees a significant number of opposition in terms of safety, appears willing to hold until that side can be more greatly appeased.

�Because there�s a public safety issue involved, I have taken a cautious approach to this and just feel that I should continue to do that until the sportsmen convince the public it is the right thing to do,� he said.

comments on this article may be sent to [email protected]
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/12/07
My sympathies to you Chautauqua Co. boys. Y'all takin it in the shorts.

The bill for Steuben has to be signed within 30 days of when the legislature adjourned. I'll celebrate when it happens ..... not convinced that the gov. doesn't intend to have his way with us.

So as not to jinx anything, there will be no celebratory range expeditions for me, till everything is final.
Bill...

What's your county's population, and square milage?

Let's see, y'all got Hornell, Bath, Corning.

Hammondsport is in there too right?

Just had a curious thought............
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/12/07
Come on Roy, stop your belly ache 'in, Monroe county can't use rifles neither... eekReally I feel for ya,no good reason for such crap in your county!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/13/07
In Erie county and I'm sure all others with deer overpopulation the police and the "lucky chosen few" on some of the permits can use center fire rifles and lights, bait, late hours etc......just a job at that point.
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/13/07
What's your county's population, and square milage?

Population in Steuben was 99,000 in 2000. Geographically it is one of the largest counties in the state. That is how we kill the most deer every year when listed by county. Chemung County though much smaller geographically had 91,000 pop. in 2000. Yates had 24,000.
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/14/07
Hey Roy, I honestly think what we have to do is get auto insurance companies involved, they have a hell of alot more money and influence than we do. They have alot of power and are definately in favor of rifle hunting because they lose millions every year in car deer claims.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/14/07
If they'll help vote out Bill Parment...I'm game.
I also noticed that bastard Parment won't return phone calls or respond to my e-mails. He used to respond by mail, and now nothing. I don't know who's worse politicians or laywers? They are both scums that only care about their own well being, and financial status. You know somebody has to be tickling Parments azz with cash. Does anyone know when he's up for re-election?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/14/07
I don't know who's worse politicians or laywers? They are both scums that only care about their own well being, and financial status.
Blanket statements like that are rarely a good idea and seldom true.There are a number of fine lawyers on this board as well as across the country,I'm sure there are a few good politicians also all though they may be in the minority...
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/14/07
My divorce lawyer was a putz.......

The one that worked for my second wife and got the Truth out in court was a good dude.

Cathy Young is a NY state Senator, she's a public servant not a politician. I will vote again for her.

Bill Parment is a liar and a sleezeball politico, vote for him I will not.....
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I don't know who's worse politicians or laywers? They are both scums that only care about their own well being, and financial status.
Blanket statements like that are rarely a good idea and seldom true.There are a number of fine lawyers on this board as well as across the country,I'm sure there are a few good politicians also all though they may be in the minority...
Your right, it's not fair of me to put them all in the scum category. I guess I just have'nt met any that I cared for. My appologies to the good ones that are out there.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/15/07
Saw Senator Cathy Young today at the Gala Days Parade, every Fire Deparment in the county had appartus there as well as several dept's from Catt. Co. and NW PA.

She walked the whole route, and was well recieved...

Bill Parment musta been busy somewhere else.
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/15/07
How does that work? Was'nt there anything Cathrine Young could've done to get the bill passed? I know she was all for it, and who would've cared if Parment voted no? It would've been an overwhelming vote to approve it anyways.
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/15/07
The latest according to the Elmira paper:

"The bill was delivered to the governor's office July 6". "Spitzer has 10 days, not counting Sundays, to either sign or veto the bill. That means it automatically becomes law if he takes no action by midnite Tuesday."

I hope to hell he is on vacation.

I am taking my kids to the 'dacks for the week so I won't know what happened till I get back. Y'all keep your fingers crossed.
Jeremiah...

From what I've read and understand since the meeting with Cathy and Bill, the Chautauqua Co. bill was submitted along with Steuben's bill to the State Senate where both passed the Senate quite easily.

They were then refered to the NY Assembly's Encon Committee...

The Steuben bill passed through committee and then passed through the General Assembly and now awaits Eliots signature.

The Chaut. Co. bill was held up in the Assembly's Encon Committee by none other than Bill Parment himself, by his own admission...to prevent it from going to the General Assembly where he knew it would pass.

The whole thing makes little sense since the orginal bill we discussed at the meeting this spring was suposedly written by Bill Parment, which means, to those who were there, he would do everything in his power to see it through. The last two years worth of Chaut. Co. Rifle bills were also written by Bill Parment and then we heard they were held up by the Assembly. This time though he told us he made modifications to it to eliminate north of Rt. 20 along Lake Erie and THAT was supposed to aleviate the "safety concerns"....

Then we hear Bill Parment is going to hold it up again because a few members of the general population still have "safety concerns"....Mmmmmmmm.

Cathy Young did her part in the Senate..as promised.

Assemblyman Parment did not, all I see from him is political double talk........
Jeremiah...

You are on the other end of the county from me which is perfect....

How about you and I organizing a grassroots drive to get rid of Bill Parment based on his failure to support Chat. Co. Sportsmen, as he seems to be the only one that has the ability to shoot it down with whatever connections he has....and get this Rifle thing settled once and for all.

We need to get support from every sportsmen in the county documented into a viable political weapon, we need to educate the undecided that Rifle use is not a detriment to the deer herd or public safety, and, we need to overwhelm the FEW nay sayer anti gun sheeple.....

Gonna take some leg work but if we want it, WE need to git 'er done.

Game...??
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/15/07
You can count me in Wilds, I hang out at the Northern Chautauqa Conservation Club and am friends with alot of hunters in this area. just let me know what we have to do to get rid of two faced Willy.
Posted By: hunterdeneugene Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/18/07
Quote from the New York Outdoor News, July 13th 2007 edition......

[quote]

Assemblyman William Parment, D-North Harmony, the sponsor of that bill, said previously the Chautauqua County situation, which was to be on a one-year trial basis,"was somewhat controversial," with the counties sportmen's federation flip flopping between opposition and support of the move.

Wilds,

Thanks for the link over. I said before that this so called county sportsman federation has been against this bill all along. They are made up of a bunch of archery hunter elitists that don't give a hoot about gun hunting....and somehow have Parments ear. Who are these guys...I'd really like to know! If they are a federation of Chautauqua Co. sportsmen, I want in! At the meeting @ the Falconer Rod and Gun, they were all for it but afterwards influenced it getting shot down....sounds pretty two faced to me.

Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/18/07
Cool!

Glad to see ya made it over to the 'Fire Den, You'll like this place much.

Am bettin' those elitists you speak of reside somewhere in the "Strip".

Comfy little lakeside homes within' spittin' distance of Walmart, the Mall, ect....

Parment is in the back pocket of someone with a lot of pull, his own words..."a few voices of opposition".

Time for Flip Flop Willy to take a hike.................
BTW....

There used to be a guy around here that posted a lotta steelhead pictures.

Someone needs to step up....grins.
Posted By: hunterdeneugene Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/18/07
me?......steelhead pictures?.......I'll see what I can do. Maybe this year will get you in a few!
Laffin'.....
Posted By: jmak Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/19/07
Looks like Spitzer signed it.

http://blog.nysrpa.org/

Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/19/07
Hey Wilds, I actually got a letter from Parment yesterday in responce to my e-mails. He say's there was significant opposition from the public, hunters and non hunters alike. He then talks about the terrain of Chautauqua County, the density of population, the range of rifles and stray bullets, and the training required by rifle marksmen. He goes on to say that the views of all his constituents are important to him, and until there is a strong shift in the general public's viewpoint he will continue to take a cautious approach toward the expansion of rifle hunting in the county. In closing he says during all of his years as assemblyman he has attempted to represent all residents of his district in a balanced manner and will continue to do so. WHAT A BUNCH OF BULLSHAT!!! HE FORGOT TO MENTION WHO'S PAYING HIM OFF!
Posted By: hunterdeneugene Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/19/07
funny how everything I've read says that those in opposition are also in the minority.....too much flip flopping here!
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/19/07
Originally Posted by hunterdeneugene
funny how everything I've read says that those in opposition are also in the minority.....too much flip flopping here!
I agree, I think ol' Willy Parment will say whatever he can to justify his actions even if it means going back on what he has said in the past.
Posted By: hunterdeneugene Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/19/07
That's obvious......he said so in a public forum @ the Falconer Rod and Gun club last winter that he was in favor. I wish I could have been there but I was in Little Rock Ark in school. Wilds can tell ya, he was there.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/19/07
Originally Posted by JEREMIAHJOHNSON
He say's there was significant opposition from the public,

Yeah significant in the amount of payoff Parment would likely get......

hunters and non hunters alike.

A handfull of very vocal, game hoggin', elitist bow hunters that despise any kind of deer/bear hunting with a firearm.....
and, the rich goody goody anti-gun libs who summer home at Chautauqua Institute, the one's who got us Hilary Clintoon.......

He then talks about the terrain of Chautauqua County,

You mean the 2300+ ft. above sea's level hills and the steep deep valleys?
Thought so....
Where's the County Seat, yep, up on one of those hills.......

the density of population,

Yeah Chaut. Co. is populated,in the populated areas, called TOWNS. Last I knew it wasn't legal to hunt those places with anything except a mini van. The "strip", that runs the length of Chaut. Lake is very populated, but it's mostly all within someones village limit, like ummmm.....N. Harmony where Parment lives?
What about Panama, Gerry, Clymer, Cassadaga, Cherry Creek, Busti, Kiantone, Poland, Carroll...just to name a few. What ain't farmland is wooded mountain....population nill.
The strip is maybe, 1/20th of the size of the whole dayum county......

the range of rifles and stray bullets,

Flip Flop Willy is big on that mile and a half rifle range thing, 'course he's not a friggin' clue and thinks an '06 is gonna blow someone's head clean off at that range. A clueless nitwit......

and the training required by rifle marksmen.

Ummmmm.....the same State mandated Hunter's Ed class everyone has to take gets you a free pass to hunt elsewhere in NYS with a [bleep]' Rifle.......
The DEC says the safety record speaks for itself..........

He goes on to say that the views of all his constituents are important to him,

Only the one's he profits from.......

and until there is a strong shift in the general public's viewpoint

He'll see that when they tally the votes, I've already been contacted by folks with a plan....wish me luck.

he will continue to take a cautious approach toward the expansion of rifle hunting in the county.

Flippin' and a floppin', flippin' and a floppin'....you could write a song about it.......

In closing he says during all of his years as assemblyman he has attempted to represent all residents of his district in a balanced manner and will continue to do so.

BULL [bleep]' [bleep]........slight emphasis there.

He won't answer any of my emails but he probably knows there's little damage control he can attempt that would do him any good.

Do, Jeremiah, feel free to toss some of this back at him.........
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/19/07
Originally Posted by hunterdeneugene
Wilds can tell ya, he was there.

I was there.

And, I am here.....in Rifle Country.
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/20/07
Wilds, I don't know where you learned to speak but your definately on top of your game. And thanks, I do plan on throwing some of this back at him. Keep me informed on your plan to get him the hell out of our county, I figure with you spreading the good word up in the hills, I can speak the truth down here by the lake and just maybe we can surround him and choke him out.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/21/07
There's an organization...within the organization.......

I'll let you know somethin' in the near future. The main thing here, to start, is to get EVERY single sportsman in this county to vote against him when his term is up. Gonna be tough to do that in some places but everyone that I've personally talked to who was counting on him this go round is livid about the whole deal....

He's Career and a voter uprising is gonna rattle him pretty good...........
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/25/07
Got a meeting set up for this weekend, to form a game plan.

Should be productive.........
Posted By: hunterdeneugene Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/25/07
keep us posted.
Posted By: JEREMIAHJOHNSON Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/25/07
Let me know what I can do to help.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/26/07
I think you two are gonna want to get involved with this....

Posted By: 358Thumper Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/26/07
http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/36686.html
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/26/07
Sweet! Thanks for the link. As of yesterday, the NY Outdoor News was reporting that the bill had not been signed. Now I need to get busy reloading. Watch the classifieds for a 1100 w/ cantlivered barrel for sale. smile
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/27/07
Bill, this year I'll bring the Makers........

Grin.
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/27/07
Deal. wink
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/29/07
And a camper.......
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/29/07
Camper? You mentioned making one .... or did you buy one ?
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 07/31/07
Worked out a deal with the MIL, turns out she's got at least one good side afterall........

All she needs it for is one week in July at the Angelica Fair....otherwise it just sits in her backyard. She gave it to us and I'm thinkin' it won't just sit much in the backyard now.

Was pretty comfy at Kinzua last weekend, and gonna be at Red Bridge, PA this weekend.

14 footer, sleeps six, tows easy with the Explorer....might come in handy for a few weekenders this fall.

Might force myself to sleep in it for a week down in Virginia this November as well.........
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 08/01/07
You'll make many memories that way ...... is good for the kids. You will have only kind words about your MIL from here on, I'm sure. smile

I bought a bigger tent and the kids and I tried it out for a few nights. Worked well and we all had a good time. Now I am considering a way to float it across some of those pristine 'dack lakes in search of a more remote experience.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 08/01/07
So have you done some range work with the Deer Rifle in celebration of Steuben getting the bill passed?

Still got that sweet little 7-08 you had last year right?

edite to add: A canoe in the 'Dacks is the only way to fly..........
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 08/01/07
Yes, I still have the Kimber. I found a satisfactory load for it last year. All I need to do is load some practice rounds. I have been busy finishing up a project in the shop. I hope to get to the range on Saturday.

I went to school with a guy from around Cranberry Lake. He was big on all things Adirondack and sold me on the merits of the Adirondack Guideboat. Gettin ready to convert the garage into a boat shop to make one of these:

Guideboat

I'm gonna buy the plans and take it from there. Gonna be a really cool thing to have both in the 'dacks and around home.
Posted By: wildswalker Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 08/01/07
No doubt...

Gonna shoot for building it this winter?

I'd be more than willing to come out and help build on a few Saturdays if you buy the beer....grin.

I'd bring Jon too, he digs that sort of stuff.......
Posted By: Southerntier8 Re: NY- Rifle Bill - 08/02/07
Sure, come on over. I'll need help figuring it all out. I'm gonna try and get a good start before hunting season then take a break. My ultimate goal is to have it on the water before school gets out next year.
© 24hourcampfire