Home
Anybody deer hunt with this?
Anybody hunt yotes with this?
With only around 10 inches of penetration, the 110gr is not the optimum choice for deer. Excellent for cranial shots (Hornady loads it in their TAP line for just that reason), and varmints, but does not offer enough penetration for anything but perfectly placed broadside shots. The 155gr and 168gr AMAX bullets are much better choices for use on larger animals.

As a yote round it would be excellent....
V is for Varmint...
Only way I would use it is in something like a .30 Herrett handgun or .30-30 in a 10 inch barrel out of a Contender. But if I were shooting either of those, I'd still use a 125 gr. Ballistic Tip.
Selmer
All this time I thought it was for venison.......
I shoot the 168gr AMAX normally, but I got a box of these for the heck of it, and my little 600 sure loves them. They might be ok for my annual "90 pound doe meat hunt" held during the December lull around here.....
Expect a volleyball size hole where ever it hits at .308 speeds. It will still expand at 1200fps and fragments at only 1500.
Used the 110s in my 270 but never in a 308. Worked well for me, just have to be sure of your shot placement.
Originally Posted by supercrewd
V is for Varmint...

If V is for Varmint do I use Amaxes for [bleep]?
Originally Posted by MILES58
V is for Varmint...

If V is for Varmint do I use Amaxes for [bleep]?

If that's what your hunting.
The question is why you would want to use it for deer. Plenty of 150-180 grain .308 ammo out there that is designed for that purpose.
Varmints come in limited sizes, [bleep] in all sizes...
Just to get back on track, here is Hornady's promotional blurb on the Vmax.

The polymer tip of the V-Max bullet is the key to
its dramatic accuracy and devastating expansion
� even in long-range, low-velocity situations.
The tip raises the ballistic coefficient for
improved velocity and flight stability,
and on impact initiates bullet expansion.
The copper jacket is designed to work
with the tip to deliver incredible accuracy
at long range, and it assists the V-MAX�s
dramatic expansion. The copper jacket
provides the necessary bearing surface
for maximum in-flight stability. Inside
the barrel, the jacket is built to withstand
the faster twist rates of many of today�s
advanced varmint rifles. It all means the
bullet will hold together until impact.
Anytime you find yourself coming down with varmint fever, just take a box of
V-MAX and call us in the morning. Hornady loves to hear about the success
of your shooting!
After seeing what the .264 95 grainer (out of a .264 Win Mag) and the .308 110 grainer (out of a .308) will do to deer... I'd not hesitate to use them again. Both deer were dead before they hit the ground... both bounced when they got there. At a range of 150 yards, the 110 broke the on-side shoulder... pulverized both lungs... and decided to exit behind the ribcage leaving about a baseball size wound (and spraying deer clockwork for about 15 feet).

That being said, I understand that actuall experience means nothing here on the campfire... when there are plenty of people who've never used them to speculate on potential performance.

Are there better choices... yep. Will the 110 VMax kill deer dead as hell... yep.
Manufactures "design", means quite a bit less to me then reality....
The Vmax from a 308 DOES NOT EXIT A NUTRIA.

BTDT, left the bodies in a pile for the farmer.

Did not strike as deer worthy.

Helluva varmint bullet though.

BMT
So you rocket scientists are advocating that the original poster use an underweight varmint bullet to shoot deer with? Why?
So you rocket scientists are advocating that the original poster use an underweight varmint bullet to shoot deer with? Why?

Who decided it was 'underweight'?

I guess having BEEN THERE, DONE THAT... I actually know what will happen. I don't think anyone here would call it the ideal deer bullet... but the deer I've ACTUALLY SEEN SHOT with them would beg to differ. I find it very interesting how mileage varies when it comes to bullet performance. I see a 110 Vmax exit a mature blacktail buck... but other guys have them fail to exit on 'chucks. Same thing happens with the 55 grainers in the .243... I've shot hundreds of coyotes with that bullet, and I think I could count the number of failed exits on one hand. Yet, everytime I read about them online they won't exit a good sized prairie dog. I reckon there must be a reason... but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

I'm not advocating shooting 'varmint bullets' at big game... though my experience indicates they do alright. If'n I were picking a 'deer bullet' for the .308, I think the 165 NBT would get the call... or maybe a 150 Accubond.

By the way there 'crewd... I did a little time at Western State there in good ole'Gunnison. There's a lot of coyotes that lost their lives because of 'Wasted Wednesday'.
Well I know they don't offer Rocket Science as a major at Western so I am safe there... wink
Why wouldnt it work?

The 243 and 6mm with 100 gn is a great texas deer bullet:)

Alos the 223 with a 70 gn is good:0
I would and do prefer to use Baliistic TIps for deer. DOnt know why you'd need naythign more explosive but hey i'm sure they work
they will work fine if you drive em down the right twisted barrel,1:10 twisted barrels are the most popular in 308 cal rifles which are best suited to the 165-168 grain class of bullets,for that little stumpy 30 cal 110 grain bullet to stabalize properly and group correctly you would probably need a barrel with a twist rate of 1:14 or 1:16,they probably dont group worth a HOOT in a 1:10 twisted barrel,243 winchester hundred grain bullets shoot like a house fire in a 1:10 twited barrel,I have no doubt that the 110 gr. V max 308 bullet would kill deer easily if n you could get it to fly straight.........
It is much harder to "overtwist" a bullet then under twist one. The 110gr V-MAX stabilizes fine in a 1:10. For that matter they work fine in 1:8's.......
I've seen about 15 deer killed with the 110 in a 270 (not all by me, several by a buddy) but do most of my shooting with a ballistic tip now. I never had a deer go more than ~20 yards and about 50% had exits. His experience was the same. I'm not advocating using them, just stating what we found out but YMMV as neither of us are rocket scientists, just plain old engineers.
One in 10 twist is fine for the 110 Vmax in my Savage.

BMT
I give up...
Good move!
How much meat do you loose to it though? I have put down a couple of deer with it (hit by cars) and they were DRT but I did not see exits and did not open them up to look at results. In coyotes they left huge exit holes.

I dont think anyone disagrees that an explosive varmint slug in the lungs will drop a deer with no problems what so every but I would not consider selecting it with deer as the primary application.
© 24hourcampfire