Home
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009901040576

Some WI boys got shot at while deer hunting in Ontario.
Those guys think alot less of their lives than I do of mine.
I read the same article here on Sunday. How much do you think this article cost the province in tourism already?
Jiminy Xmas....

I can never understand the nonsensical reactions and jealousy that accompanies deer hunting. That said, I'd have shed the orange in a quick hurry, THEN returned fire in my own nonsensical reaction. grin

BTW, I thought you needed an outfitter in the Kenora region.
Its hard to believe hunters take killing a deer this serious. In Virginia there is a vast National Forest open to hunting. It is not unusual for several hunters to lay claim to a dead buck another hunter has shot & traveled a shot distance before expiring.
Originally Posted by SKane

BTW, I thought you needed an outfitter in the Kenora region.

Maybe the guide were doin' the shootin'. crazy

I'm with you. I'd be peelin blaze as I was reaching for the extra mag...

Correct Response,

1: Take Cover
2: Shed Orange
3: Dial 911 on satelite phone
4: Glass from cover to locate hostiles,moving if necessary
5: Return Fire with intent to defend yourself by stopping the agressor
6: Repeat any steps above as often as necessary to protect yourself

This kind of response will put an end to this BS,and prolly save life and limb in the long run as the perps will continue their fun until they shoot at the wrong sob.

Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Correct Response,

This kind of response will put an end to this BS,and prolly save life and limb in the long run as the perps will continue their fun until they shoot at the wrong sob.

The only problem is(you are not in The USA)The Liberals in Canada do not believe that self defense is a given right.You would have to follow the 3 S rule there!!!! laugh

I don't care if I am in Russia,if you shoot at me,I will return fire if I am armed and still alive.
why the automatic assumption that the aggressors were hunters?
[Linked Image]

I don't care if they are tree huggers or rastafarians,anybody that shoots at hunters,it's all the same.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Correct Response,

The only problem is(you are not in The USA)The Liberals in Canada do not believe that self defense is a given right.You would have to follow the 3 S rule there!!!! laugh

False. You are completely legal in defending yourself in Canada, up to and including lethal force.

Just as in the US (with the possible exception of Texas smile ) you have to somewhat match the level of response to the threat, but clearly if somebody is deliberately shooting at you, you can shoot back in defense of your life.

John (a Canuck)
Well that pretty much takes that place out of the future. I am hunting for a new deer hunting place and it ain't Kenora.

Went fishing with a guy once. We got shot at. He had been there and done that before. He pulled a TC contender and returned fire. The instigator quit. I guess he didn't like to be shot at either. I didn't go back to that lake.

I seem to have developed an aversion to folks shooting at me. Please do not think I will not return fire, I just prefer not to be shot at in the first place.
You are not required to use a guide for whitetail deer in that area.
I would bet its locals that don't want to share the deer. You can bet I would have fired a few shots back. Good reason to carry more then just a few bullets when hunting the big north woods.
i've never experienced having shots fired at me...

i have had truck windows smashed in wisconsin... tires cut in illinois...

both doors got kicked on a friends truck when we were in colorado.....

home boy losers are every where...

i caught the guys who cut my tires.... they don't want to talk about it, and i've said enough.....
I'm with you. I would greatly dislike shooting someone for this kind of aggressive behavior especially, since it might be a kid or kids. I would dislike even more being shot. Probably, 45+ years ago I was hunting in a National Forest & a guy keep looking at me with his rifle scope. I caught up to him & informed him what an unsafe practice this was & I had been recently shot at in VN. He replied with profanity & about an hour later made it a point to look at me with his rifle scope. I gave him the bird & a round was fired over the tree top. I put 2 rounds very close & he dropped his rifle & ran. I reported the incident to Park Rangers. Today(nearly 70) if this happened I would have leave the woods or hunt another area. Actually, probably not.
You would have to follow the 3 S rule there!!!!

How would Showering, Shi..(Pooping), and Shaving have helped? grin
Seriously though...Shoot-Move-Communicate-Repeat as needed.
This is one of the reasons I wear a vest instead of having an orange coat. It's not unheard of here to stumble upon someone's cash crop. I also carry a handheld Amateur radio with LE frequencies. So far no major confrontations though.
I guess I'm not surprised. There has been a border war going on for years between Ontario and Minnesota over fish.
Kingfisher are you sure about not needing a guide (legally) to hunt in Ontario?

I've hunted just south of there a few times and an outfitter told me that now I have to have a "guide"...
Hey tzone, ....they couldn't have known they were from WI so they wouldn't be other deer hunters shooting at them...:)

Peta, Indians... A 22? Some hardass running a trap-line maybe...
Yep, many of the Mi guys are hunting up there. I have heard there are some restrictions. Generally you can whitetail deer hunt up there without a guide. I am sure this is ticking off a few locals. Problem is I bet some ot the LE's up there won't put much man power into catching the problem shooters.

It is getting crowded up there now. Lots of publicity after a few large bucks have been shot. I heard you have areas where all you see is Vermont license plates on the trucks. Some of the Mi folks say if you are willing to get far off the road you can do well. It's big woods hunting and the thickest stuff you will ever see I have been told. Don't expect long range shots.

My son is turning 21 and he can now take his own gun over the border. I was thinking about taking him up there this year. I know if i am being shot at the very least I would do is return a few. Maybe if we can scare the person bad enough he will reconsider doing this to another American, might even save a life. These type of guys are cowards.... to do it from a distance anyway.
Wow, by my reading the article it doesnt say that they ever saw the shooter. That sucks. I believe if I would have seen the shooter I too would have returned fire as you guys were talking about. I would like to see if this is an isolated incident or happens all the time. I have long wanted to go up there.
Originally Posted by tomk
Hey tzone, ....they couldn't have known they were from WI so they wouldn't be other deer hunters shooting at them...:)

Licenses plates maybe?
Yankees............
Well I have hunted in WI out of a truck before...but we were bowhunting.

License Plates have the state on em.
I hunt this area every year and own a fishing lodge in the area.
Sounds like a pretty isolated incident to me.
The problem is after the Dryden buck was killed the place has turned into a war zone. As a result the trophy quality goes down every year and more and more incidents like this happen.

FWIW I am a American and I would not be at all surprised if the people responsible for this where not Canadians.
tzone--it was tongue in cheek, my friend...

that is a good point, Bwalker.
TomK, if you seen the number of trucks with MI, WI, MN, IA, IL, IN and oddly enough VT plates you would see how I cam to this conclusion. I would say NR hunters out number residents by a huge margin.
Of course all the places that are close to town and easy to access with truck or ATV get picked over first. Then you have conflicts like this.
And as I have said before trophy quality is falling every year, precipitously the last few. One good winter and we wont be talking bout NW Ontario any more.
Yeah, I've haven't gone across for a few years...I guess maybe more than a few now. Agree with you completely, once it is known you are probably starting to chase your tail...

The only thing a I wonder about is taking a .22 across deerhunting as they check your rifles over now pretty close. Small game maybe and I suppose there are a bunch of guys who would try to do both in the same area in the prerut...:)

Shame it became so popular so quickly and I do appreciate the heads up--was considering it this year for a fallback.

SHOOT SHOVEL SHUT-UP!!
end of story!
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yankees............

No schit!! I'm going to slap a snowbird next time one smarts-off at me at the beach!! laugh laugh

"Up here to shoot deer are ya? Eh, eh, eh? Take off you hoser!"
tzone--it was tongue in cheek, my friend...

that is a good point, Bwalker.

OK, sorry.
It is going to be a long winter tzone--it is wearing on me already. More on the way tonite....

I hope all the snow birds stay in AL and FL--a guy can go to the city and use the left lane for passing.
Since they face condemnation of property and vehicles if same are used in conjunction with drug manufacturing, dopers are setting up little temporary camps on public land and cooking meth there instead of at home. Its getting more common all the time.

Motel rooms used to be popular but the process is smelly and the chance of getting reported is greater. Out in remote areas they can pretty much do what they want unless other people show up in the area.

Sounds like those WI hunters got into an area some thugs didnt want them in. The shooting doesnt make sense because the shooter would have to assume the victims would report it and cops would show up, but then again if we are talking about dopers....... who knows?
Hard for me to believe it was drug-affiliated - in regards to "their crop" as that time of year it should have been....well, don't even ask me why I'd know that.... blush That said, the meth labs have little to do with "the crop" and could have very well been the case.

My guess it was a local(s) just fed up with the number of non-residents hunting in "their" spots. Especially if there was some sort of good buck sighting in the recent past. There isn't a more jealous individual on the face of the earth than the jealous deer hunter. (not as a whole, merely citing individuals) I have never had anything but wonderful encounters with Canadians in the years I've hunted there. I'll continue to go back year after year and one bad experience wouldn't chase me away, though I likely would have retaliated a little differently than my fellow WI-ites did in that situation. <grin>

As BWalker concluded, one good winter and we'll all be looking for a new spot to hunt. I suspect Saskatchewan and Manitoba are in for some lean years as well with the winter already off to a horrid start in terms of severity index for whitetails. Taint gonna be pretty boys.
The two other guys I hunt with most can do a rough approximation of an Australian Peel on demand...
© 24hourcampfire