Home
Posted By: elelbean Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/29/09
Looks like the Benoits have moved on to 3x9 scopes and full length gun barrels. BTW, I've never seen barrels like the ones on this gun....what's the purpose if any of the little flutes?

http://benoitsbigbucks.com/Rifle/Rifle.htm
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/29/09
I think it is actually part of the finish. On the order form it says snakeskin. They also want $2500!!!!!
Jeff Foxworthy said that rednecks like shiny objects but I can't think of too many rednecks with that much cash to fork over for a Remington 7600. Dang.
Posted By: wsmfan Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/29/09
The Benoits have been shooting Trijicons for a while now. I enjoy the Benoit videos, but not enough to drop that kind of coin for a remington...
Posted By: SKane Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/29/09
shocked shocked

I'd have Nate @ Hillbilly Custom trick out a 760 or 7600, and, for a lot less cheddar than what the Benoits are asking. The 50mm scope looks RIGHT at home on top too.
Man, they should just stick to killing big deer. YUCK! grin
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/29/09
Well, it looks like the Brothers have decided to cash in on their celebrity status. Not surprised. Can you blame them? $$$$$

WN
Posted By: battue Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
For that price you would think it would come with its own personalized deer ear hanging from the stock. It's one thing to capitalize on your success. Another to expect others to be fools.
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
They've been using scopes for a few years now. Those guns look hideiouds and I wouldn't give $500 for one of em. The only thing I'd do to a 760 or 7600 is have Nate @ hillbilly custom's work it over into that bad ass mofo he has.
If I'm going to drop over 2K on a rifle I'll guarantee it won't be on a 7600.
Yeah, I hear ya. I love my 7600, but it sure in hell ain't worth 2K.

Hell it ain't worth a 1/4 or that.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
I've followed the Benoits and their changes in equipment for a long time. Got two of their books, etc.
The only ones that use scopes, of any kind, are the ones whose eyes are getting pretty bad.
Scopes are a very valuable aide for most situations in hunting. But almost all of their bucks are killed on the run, up close, in very heavy cover. At 50 yds., or less, a scope won't do anything for you on a running animal. Assuming you can easily see the sights.
As far as long or short barrels go, that's a matter of how you like your rifle to handle. One thing they do, which I think is an excellent habit, is they shoot alot. Often at thrown targets, etc. During their off time, even while in their hunting camps, they shoot. Sometimes they need to go to town and buy more ammo.
These guys have always impressed me as being very practical hunters. But rather than buy some expensive promotional item, I'd much rather have their books. E
Posted By: lazydrifter Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
Those are sure nice jackets they have on. Anyone know anything about those. Woolrich? Filson? Factory or custom made? Never mind. I see it listed on their site.
Posted By: CLB Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Well, it looks like the Brothers have decided to cash in on their celebrity status. Not surprised. Can you blame them? $$$$$

WN

Can't blame them at all. At least they don't do any canned TV shows like the rest do. I have all their books and several video's....Now if my wife would only allow me to be away the whole month of November !!!!!
Posted By: CLB Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
Originally Posted by lazydrifter
Those are sure nice jackets they have on. Anyone know anything about those. Woolrich? Filson? Factory or custom made? Never mind. I see it listed on their site.

Vermont Made. I think the name is Beagle. They have a link on their web site.
Posted By: wsmfan Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
Yup. Beagle wear. Great jackets and pants. I have Lanny work on my snowmachines so I know them well. Great bunch of guys living the dream....Got to give it up for the pops as well 85 y/o still tracking and killng whitetails

Posted By: cfran Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
A lot of guys will likely buy guns like this and then fail to understand that it won't help them shoot deer. Fact of the matter is the Beniot's are excellent woodsman and their ability to still hunt and read sign is outstanding, this is what sets them apart. Very few hunters have the skill to hunt as they do, that is fact.
Originally Posted by cfran
A lot of guys will likely buy guns like this and then fail to understand that it won't help them shoot deer. Fact of the matter is the Beniot's are excellent woodsman and their ability to still hunt and read sign is outstanding, this is what sets them apart. Very few hunters have the skill to hunt as they do, that is fact.

+1. The Benoits are amazing.
Posted By: SKane Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
Originally Posted by cfran

Concur. If you want a gun like the Benoit's use - visit a local pawn shop and pick up a beater 760 or 7600. If you want to hunt like the Benoit's, plan on devoting your life to hunting whitetails. They're really, REALLY good at it. I've read their books and admire their devotion, knowledge, and, frankly, the willingness to share.

That said, it's obvious their core competency is hunting whitetails and NOT the design/aesthetics of a shootin' iron. If my mission were to trick out a 7600 and make it as gawd awful ugly as possible, it'd look a lot like that, except with the photo in the link, if I were to stick a 50mm on a 7600, I'd have the decency to affix see-through mounts on it. grin

Hope it works out for them.
grin

recon you can find a 760 with the 50mm and the see thru's at your local gander mt.
Posted By: battue Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/30/09
The yearly pics are worth a look. Something to be learned by looking at the backgrounds were some of those bucks fell. Those boys are deer hunters.

Makes me think the .338Fed Montana would have a place in that country. But I'm biased. smile
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
a .338Fed in a 7600 would be even better.
Posted By: battue Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
When it comes to follow up shots it would be hard to disagree.
http://benoitsbigbucks.com/2004season.htm

This first one is a stud. Check out those shoulders and the thickness of the front leg. To hell with the rack although it's damn nice.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
Originally Posted by tzone

I've been pondering the same thing. For some reason, though, donors have been on the rare side around here. Normally a guy can pick up used 7600s for "cheap".

George
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
I remember as a kid reading about the Benoit family, even then I realized that treestands weren't my thing.
I love hunting of most any type. I get the biggest rush out of picking a buck track and working it out. To me there's just more satisfaction to it than stand hunting. I'm probably wired a little different anyway as I also still love "drive" hunting with the family.

George
Moving is fun. I had a hunt planned in New Brunswick but 9-11 but that on hold. I need to look into going there again.
Family used to drive the life right out of them and we shot more than our share back then. It finally lost its allure for me and I broke off.
I've changed tactics as well, but more as a result of time. People have aged, cousins have branched off with their own kids, etc.

Opening week is still family (non-blood included). After that it's hit or miss and I do my own thing.

George
Your situation is much the same as mine. I'm now one of the old guys and the young bucks think that sitting in a tree is how it's done. I was the first to leave the pack so to speak and now it is pretty much gone. Have to admit it was some fun times.
Some events over the last year have me looking to go back to it a little more. My brother and I are going to be fixing up my gramps old camp in northern NH. I have some good pards to fill in some of the holes. It'll be different, but good.

George
Big woods deer hunting is as skookum as it comes.
Posted By: SKane Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
Agreed. Putting a good buck on the ground in that environ is about as well earned (and difficult) as it comes.
Agree. We have the Allegheny National Forest up on the N.Y. border which I think is around 500,000acres. It's where I started and probably where I'll finish.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
Scott, If I ever one of those rifles built it would be like the one your buddy had built by Hillbilly rifles...what cal was that? I dont remember.

Make that a 35 Whalen or a 358 Win.
Bill-
Bingo!!!

Tom-
That rifle is a 338-06.
Originally Posted by SKane
Bill-
Bingo!!!

Tom-
That rifle is a 338-06.

Skane, saw a 7600 with a synthetic stock in 35 Whalen back in March at the Wausau gun show. Still kicking myself for not buying it.
I prefer the Whelen
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
Either would be fine by me, but hoping I get to find out first hand what a .35 cal bullet does to a deer this year.
Posted By: Mesabikid44 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
Just possibly, even something like a useless old 358 win. could probably git er dun!
Same here with a .350RM Model 7 from the custom shop. Not being a Rem fan-stop, I know it has no factual basis, but just the way it is-I let it go. Not to bright on my part.
Originally Posted by Tom264
Either would be fine by me, but hoping I get to find out first hand what a .35 cal bullet does to a deer this year.

I don't know either, but I would have a real good feeling about the results. You don't have to always use something to know it works, despite the opinions of some.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
grin

recon you can find a 760 with the 50mm and the see thru's at your local gander mt.

Saw one over the weekend with a big old Simmons scope half the length of the rifle, see thrus, leather sling with shell holder, AND a compass in the stock! $350

WN
Originally Posted by Mesabikid44
Just possibly, even something like a useless old 358 win. could probably git er dun!

Well, I just happen to have one like that...a 760 carbine in 358Win. cool

WN
YOU let a 760 sit somewhere? You feelin' alright? grin
grin laugh smile

Did you want the scope and see thrus?

WN
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

Make that a 35 Whalen or a 358 Win.

If I have one made, it will be a .358. last I talked to Redneck, he couldn't get barrels for them, but that was quite a while ago, things may have changed....hmmmm. smile

WN

I know a fat kid in central WI that would help you with some room in the safe if you want to lose one. Got some cheddar burning a hole in my pocket...that would plug the hole. smile
Posted By: 65BR Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
For a repeater, a BLR straight grip in 358W would be handy and accurate, perhaps lighter as well.
tzone

Look for a 35Rem and have Redneck rechamber it and hack it off to about 19".

I don't have one to spare at the moment... wink

WN
I would buy a .35Rem in an instant...can't find one. I'm not a fan of buying off GB or anything like that.

If I had a .35 Rem, I'm not sure I'd even rechamber it...but it would get the 19" barrel treatment. smile
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
You just show up in the woods with a Benoit rifle, and the wise old bucks just know they may as well surrender and get it over with. So, they may be worth the asking price.
Posted By: mike103 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
Am I missing something here?

I am a junkie for anything Benoit. I have all the books, DVD's, VHS's and six 7600's.

Are you just paying for the signatures on the reciever or is there more to these rifles.

I can't believe how ugly they are.

MIKE.
Think Ernhardt jacket. Neither will make you a nascar winner or a deer hunter.
tz

I'll keep my eyes open for one...I get around to some small shops on a regular basis. PM me your phone number just incase I stumble on to one.

Frankly, a 35Rem is all you need for sure. Grice's had a special run of 7600 35Rem Carbines a few years ago, so there are some around. The .358Win rechamber job just adds "cool factor" to the gun. smirk

WN
Posted By: erich Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 08/31/09
I keep a Rem 760 in 35Rem at my B in L's back in NW WI. It's set up with a Weaver V-3 in low Weaver pivot mounts, they work much better than see-throughs. The scope is in a perfect position for fast shooting and if a chunk of snow hits the lens just flip the scope out of the way. They have proven to be very tuff and repeatable. I reload for everything except the 35, yopu just can't beat the 200gr Rem RN.

erich
Posted By: 257ROBT Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/01/09
Originally Posted by Tom264

Um, bang-flops from my 35 Whelen and the results aren't too shabby from my 35 Remington either.

Dale
Posted By: tomk Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/01/09
Wow, 2500 bucks! --that sounds more like snake oil than snake skin....

Take Skane's advice and check out Hillbilly.

No flies on the Benoits though, have a lot of respect for them and the books are a good read--have been privledged to know a few guys right here in the Great Lakes that had just as much moxy when it came to tracking and killing. A compadre's father once spent three days on a track including one overnight before he killed it. He was persistent.... He had great stories from WWII on.

Am in LA for a while and it ain't the same--but thinking of a 7600 in a 35 anything Winchester sure helps...had an Remington 81 for a bit in a 35...would prefer the 358...:)

Pondering speedy seconds--and I know they are at the other end of the skookum spectrum--but am being tempted by that Browning short-trac in 7-08...had a couple Belgiums w/o issues.
Posted By: ChipM Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/01/09
I'm like most here and have a great deal of respect for the Benoits. The way they hunt and where is not easy and they are awfully successful BUT $2500+ for a Remington 7600, that is crazy. There are photos on here somewhere of one that Hillbilly Rifles did that is much more functional and would probably cost less overall.
Posted By: SKane Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/01/09
Chip-
Here's the rifle that Nathan Chesney @ Hillbilly Customs built.
He's building a couple more and hopefully he'll forward some picts. I got a couple rifles back just yesterday that Nate restocked, he surely does nice work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/01/09
Gawd that thing rocks.

Coolest looking rifle I've seen, maybe ever!
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Moving is fun. I had a hunt planned in New Brunswick but 9-11 but that on hold. I need to look into going there again.

If you ever make it up to NB, let me know. I will buy you lunch and a beer (or two).
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/01/09
If you pay $2500 for a custom 7600...... you might be a redneck
What Tzone just said, Skane. What caliber is it? Is that just a protective cap on the safty or was the entire safety enlarged?
Bill-

Chambering is 338-06. That's an oversized safety. I haven't been able to get my hands on this one, I think one of our WI crew ought to build one so I can test drive it. grin

And, you know, people can say all they want about the slide actions, I know Whelen Nut's got a 7600 in 270 that will rival dang near any custom-built hunting sporter at 300 yards. Still well below MOA at 400. All he does is kill stuff with it.*grins*

Posted By: Tom264 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/01/09
A Remington 750 done that way (Skanes friends Hillbilly rifles .338/06) would be too cool.

I think one of our WI crew ought to build one so I can test drive it. grin

BTW, same goes for Indiana guys..... laugh
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/01/09
Hey................... cool

Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/01/09
Bill-

Chambering is 338-06. That's an oversized safety. I haven't been able to get my hands on this one, I think one of our WI crew ought to build one so I can test drive it. grin

And, you know, people can say all they want about the slide actions, I know Whelen Nut's got a 7600 in 270 that will rival dang near any custom-built hunting sporter at 300 yards. Still well below MOA at 400. All he does is kill stuff with it.*grins*

I'm VERY tempted. I've talked to Nate a bit a while ago about it.

I have a 7600 in 06 that will shoot MOA all day too. for some reason these things get a bad name...maybe from the 742/7400's.

All I know is they make stuff bleed.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/02/09
I have a 7600 in 06 that will shoot MOA all day too. for some reason these things get a bad name...maybe from the 742/7400's.

TZ--Some guys are quick to trash stuff they have no clue about. AND a lie, repeated often enough, somehow becomes the truth...especially the night before the WI opener! smirk

WN

Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/02/09
WN, sounds like there's a story in there somewhere. I'd love to hear it.

I'm trying to find a reason not to buy a Whelen form Stan here at the fire....it ain't workin' smile
Posted By: ChipM Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/02/09
SKane,

I never get tired of looking at that picture. Beautifully done and in a 338-06 to boot. To me that is a 7600 worth a few bucks.
Posted By: duckster Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/02/09
Looks like too much scope on that type of rifle for me! (The Benoit guns)
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/03/09
Heck, I miss Uncle Windy and that '72 Bronco. 35 Whelen & a 358 Win. is where it's at in that Rem pump.But you'll never to get Rem to chamber a 358 Win..
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/03/09
TZ

Buy the Whelen! You can always load it down to behave like a .358Win or a 35 Rem... wink Action length is the same. Bbls can be cut. grin

WN

Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/03/09
I might. There is a guy locally selling one, that I'm going to take a look at before I buy that one.
Posted By: wldthg Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/03/09
Duckster-- I very well could be wrong but if you were to be hidden in the bushes opening morn. and watch one of those Benoit's get out of his truck and head out, his weapon would not have that Hubble size scope on it. Web
Maybe Hill billy guns needs a field tester. My hand was up first. laugh

My old 760 in 06 was a decent shooter. mine had the metal butt plate and it would really pound you with 180 grainers. My mod 700 is much more pleasant to shoot.
Posted By: 106rr Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 09/09/09
They used coats from Johnson Woolen Company for most of the hunting career. The green and black buffalo plaid was a Benoit look. Johnson made other colors but the Green and black as well.
Johnson made great stuff but is a very conservative company.
Beagle is certainly more expensive!
I got an old 760 Whelen rebore that JB wrote about. Kinda cool and great shooter
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/08/12
I notice that they wear blaze orange. I don't think its a requirement in Vermont.

My buddy and I wear blaze orange by choice there and elsewhere.

[Linked Image]
Don't wish to sound stuffy but...those guns are a tad bit different from where they started at....gausche

Dober
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/08/12
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Don't wish to sound stuffy but...those guns are a tad bit different from where they started at....gausche

Dober

You think some palms are getting greased??

<grin>
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/08/12
Good for them. They have made an enjoyable industry out of skilled hunting of a tough land. Deer hunting in VT is not easy.

Long ago it was easier for me up there when there were lots of deer but now you have to really find them. Since the Benoit's are residents they have more time for that.

[Linked Image]

We hunted here in North Central VT last season. I did not see enough sign for old me. I get convinced I am a great hunter when some buck walks out in front of me. Wish I were young again.
Posted By: jay Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/08/12
Believe they hunt Maine lots and that is why the orange.
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

Dober

<grin>

Ya think....grin. Changed my decades old belief that they're just a bunch of good old boys though. Looks like 50 mil scopes on them, ugly as a bucket full of azzholes!

Dober
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by NH K9

I've been pondering the same thing. For some reason, though, donors have been on the rare side around here. Normally a guy can pick up used 7600s for "cheap".

George

I,m older than you guys, I was thinking about a 7600 in 358 Win 20" barrel!!!!
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
Originally Posted by NH K9

George

I,m older than you guys, I was thinking about a 7600 in 358 Win 20" barrel!!!!

I thought about the same thing (too many ideas) but couldn't bring myself to desecrate a 35 Remington donor. It's being put to good use in TX now.

I figure the Whelen will be fine once the tube gets chopped.

George
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/09/12

WN
say ain't so!!
Originally Posted by 257 roberts

WN
say ain't so!!

Larry has always had an interesting way of decorating his 760's that a lot of guys here would probably disapprove of here. Beagle Wear,Scopes and these Pimp rifles do not surprise me . It is all about the money
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Larry has always had an interesting way of decorating his 760's that a lot of guys here would probably disapprove of here. Beagle Wear,Scopes and these Pimp rifles do not surprise me . It is all about the money

Yep, nothing wrong with that as a guy has to make a living, but look at them...same shirt, vest and hat. Definitely sponsership.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/09/12
Originally Posted by jay
Believe they hunt Maine lots and that is why the orange.

I know they hunt Ontario as well....Maine got crowded although they must hunt there some.People followed them around a lot....I know they also hunt northern NH now and then...it stays open longer than Vermont and Maine.

I don't blame those boys for making a few bucks.....after all they certainly rank among the very best whitetail hunters on the continent.They earned everything they have.
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/09/12
Can't blame a guy for making a living. If they can do it while hunting, more power too em.

On the scopes..on the last book I got they something about old eyes and not being able to see the sights as well anymore....I have no idea what they're talking about. wink
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/09/12
Dober, it might be that we are just a couple of old hunters that haven't kept up with the times.........
On the other hand, I still see lots of guys with smaller scopes. Even if one of them doesn't love the .270 ......
They seem to do pretty good w/o the big scopes. Maybe there is more to it than just putting a fancy scope on your fancy rifle...... E
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/09/12
It would take an especially stupid individual to buy one of those Benoit commemorative slag traps.

The legend lives...

TFF
Posted By: woodson Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/12/12
Man those rifles are hard to look at! For that money?
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/13/12

Dober

<grin>

Ya think....grin. Changed my decades old belief that they're just a bunch of good old boys though. Looks like 50 mil scopes on them, ugly as a bucket full of azzholes!

Dober

Here you go Dober you might like the looks of this scope better.
[Linked Image]
And if it it's real thick off the scope goes.
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the scope Scott
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/13/12
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
It would take an especially stupid individual to buy one of those Benoit commemorative slag traps.

The legend lives...

TFF

The first rifle Larry put his name on sold new for $1000 there going for over $10,000 now if you ever make it to the top of the waiting list Wilderness Trading Post has for all current owners if, IF they ever want to sell. A few years ago I had a chance to buy one of Pop's knives for $250 there selling for over $500 now.
Hat logo and scopes appear to be trijicons (my guess based note yellow oval on the ocular bell ) which is quality chit but not on a 760/7600. Can't see running more then a 2.5-8 with a 32-36mm bell at best.

Whole lotta fancy scope for a dense woods brush gun and I won't even get into that late term abortion looking "gunsmith" job on the rifles, everything that rifle didn't need and nothing it does to put it lightly.

Polish the action, rework trigger, chop and crown the barrel at 18-20", quality peep site, maybe a simple rail to mount a low X scope and cerakote for the fancy crowd. Bet a guy could do it all up for under $750 with even minor effort
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/13/12
Any who pays $10k for that abortion of one of the best, most useful rifles made has more money than they know what to do with.

In Philadelphia it's worth $50.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/13/12
I have a lot of respect for the Benoit's but I have never been a fan of pump big game rifles. They rattle a lot. Might as well pack a cow bell in the woods.
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/13/12
You clearly gained all your knowledge of the 760/7600 from reading the internet and not actual first hand experience.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/13/12
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have a lot of respect for the Benoit's but I have never been a fan of pump big game rifles. They rattle a lot. Might as well pack a cow bell in the woods.

Uuhh.....With all due respect,and no offense intended.....BS. whistle wink smile
Posted By: woodson Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/13/12
I'm a member of a hunting club in WV where we put on large scale deer drives throughout our rifle season. While assuming the roll of a "driver" I'm hard pressed to find a more appropriate rifle for the task at hand than the Remington 7600. Typically shots aren't ideal and you're doing more humping up and down ridges/mountains than shooting. Foxes and coyotes are known to pop out and the quick handling of that rifle is at a premium.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/13/12
You clearly gained all your knowledge of the 760/7600 from reading the internet and not actual first hand experience.

Bingo! grin
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/13/12
Very nice rifle, Les.

Great idea with the scope mount/peep.

That particular scope looks familiar! crazy

WN
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/14/12
Very nice rifle, Les.

Great idea with the scope mount/peep.

That particular scope looks familiar! crazy

WN

Thanks Whelen. They are nice little scopes. I need to get my hands on another.
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/14/12
Hey WN! How are you doing?

Never had your hands on one have ya.
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/14/12
So, The Benoits shoot big bucks up close using a cowbell? That's the secret! I think I remember a chapter in Van Dykes book about hunting deer with a cowbell .Must be a lost art.
Posted By: SKane Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/14/12

That's really a bunch of hooey. This one, coupled with the "click" of various safeties making too much noise always makes me chuckle.

Posted By: SKane Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/14/12
Originally Posted by Les7603006

Les - you bet. Nice rifle, but you need some mack-daddy, pimpalicous engraving on it. laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/14/12
When my fore-end rattles on the 7600, it's already too late for Mr. Buck. grin He can't hear anymore.
shocked shocked

I'd have Nate @ Hillbilly Custom trick out a 760 or 7600, and, for a lot less cheddar than what the Benoits are asking. The 50mm scope looks RIGHT at home on top too.
Man, they should just stick to killing big deer. YUCK! grin

He's doing a 7600 358 Win for me right now.
I didn't know Remington had two m's

Les - you bet. Nice rifle, but you need some mack-daddy, pimpalicous engraving on it. laugh

All right you talked me into it. Who here on the fire does engraving? Figured out what I'm putting on the side too. " the rattle trap, safety clicking, buck slayer" does everything but gut em. He!! You can even use them as a dragging handle.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/15/12
Laugh all you want about safeties making noise. I've lost several bucks to safeties and lever gun hammers clicking into place. You have to be close, but I hunt hemlock stands and close is all there is. Think bow hunting distances.
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/15/12
Originally Posted by corelokt
Laugh all you want about safeties making noise. I've lost several bucks to safeties and lever gun hammers clicking into place. You have to be close, but I hunt hemlock stands and close is all there is. Think bow hunting distances.

If you haven't figured out how to cock a hammered firearm without making any noise that'd be your bad not the gun. And the safety click... If your tracking the buck jumps you can scream at them and it makes no difference. If your stand hunting you have all the time in the world to put a finger on both sides of the safety and slip her over with NO noise. Dude you have got to know your firearm. My 3 position safety on my Montucky is the loudest thing ever, but I can slip it off without my Wiem "bird dog" hearing it. She has some good ears, can be 200 yards away from the house Ana I can close the bolt on the Maxus a tenth of a second later she's at the door ready to hunt. You can say what you want on this forum about pump guns but I will tell you, you won't make any friends by bad mouthing a 760/7600. Not trying to start chit but that's the way us owners roll. Oh by the way does your bolt gun shoot like this.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/15/12

I haven't shot a buck further than 10-25 yards in 5 years. When they hear the safety, it's lights out.

I haven't shot a buck further than 10-25 yards in 5 years. When they hear the safety, it's lights out.

Yep it pisses me off when you 45 feet away from a buck sleeping and he opens his eyes when you CLICK the safety off .01 of a second before you put a hole thru the boiler room.
Ive used that click to stop a walking deer.
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/15/12
Any one that wants to send one of those rattle trap 760's, 7600's, or 6's my way, I'll take my chances.
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/15/12
Ive used that click to stop a walking deer.

Yeah, Me too. "click, BOOM!"

grin

That's really a bunch of hooey. This one, coupled with the "click" of various safeties making too much noise always makes me chuckle.

I agree 110%. If it rattles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you're playing with it. Up until just recently, Remington pumps were the BEST on the market. I have personally called Remington and advised they should move all operations to China. And as far as I am concerned the same goes for T/C. Both WERE great. Not so much now. frown frown

Posted By: SKane Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/18/12

Generally this happens because gents love to "flick" or "yank" the safety.

On a self-shucker, thumb against safety and index finger (or middle finger) on inside applying just a tad of back pressure.

Bolt action - Remington 2 pos - downward pressure while moving to boom mode. Or safety betwixed the thumb and index finger applying slight back-pressure while moving forward.

Bolt action - 3 pos - safety betwixed the thumb and index finger applying slight back-pressure while moving forward.

Hammer - engage trigger before yanking hammer - using thumb, move hammer to just past cocked position, release trigger (WITH THUMB STILL ON HAMMER) and allow hammer to move forward to cocked position.

If done right, all the above can be accomplished in a 12x12 room with a whitetail and it won't hear you.

I've friends that insisted this can't be done - until they've tried it. And a couple of these chaps struggle to breath, walk and chew gum at the same time.

The other argument that I hear is, "the way you're recommending, takes precious seconds that I don't have when hunting". If things are happening that fast, you can afford to make click as something is generally on the move. wink

Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/18/12
You mean an accentuated audible CLICK with drum beats, heavy breathing and whispering in the background isn't required before pulling the trigger? shocked

Posted By: SKane Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/18/12
laugh laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/18/12
There is no amount of convincing you can to to someone that's never tried it. wink

Remintong 2 pos safety is probably the quietest one made and EASY to make silent.

If the deer hears the safety, and boogies, you weren't going to get it anyway.
Posted By: RGrim Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12
What a great topic to make my first post on. been lurkin but finally going to chime in.

I'm from Wisconsin, hunt the Northwoods of Bayfield Co. In our camp all we use is pumps and levers. I've had my pump since 85 and taken many deer with it and no problems. I did switch it up a bit this year and "benoited" it. Cut the barrel and added a Peep. Comes up great, I'm really excited about next November already.

look forward to joining the conversations!

07 deer tracked and taken at 70 yds.

[Linked Image]
One of my bucks this past season, 30 yds still hunting.
[Linked Image]
And my revamped sporty 76
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12
RG,

Welcome to the fire - nice bucks! You just need a 50mm Trijicon on that rifle and you're all set. laugh

I hunt North Sawyer, Southern Bayfield too.
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12
Nice pictures and great WI northwoods bucks. Welcome to the fire.
Nicely done and welcome to the Fire. But....please smile for the camera... grin

Dober
Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to chime in as much as possible.
You just need a 50mm Trijicon on that rifle and you're all set.

....Ha!...Nope.

But....please smile for the camera...

...and Nope.

Killin bucks is serious stuff!!

Originally Posted by RGrim
But....please smile for the camera...

...and Nope.

Killin bucks is serious stuff!!

Don't know you yet, but are you being serious when you say that or just boshing?

Dober
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12
Thinking the entire thread is an attempt at humor with that rifle leading the way. Lol.

10k for the first Benoit rifles??

That would be a deal if if it came with 20 other guns and a lifetime supply of fix a flat.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12
[Linked Image]

If I was ever to pay that kind of scratch for a pump it would not be to someone that couldn't spell 'synthetic'.

Damn.
Just Jokin around, always get told to smile on pictures. Never seems to happen.

I am serious about my deer hunting though.

As far as the guns go, they are collector pcs. Hal Blood has a limited run pump carbine out now too. All the power to anyone who can market and make a living doing it.
Just Jokin around, always get told to smile on pictures. Never seems to happen.

That's called Penitentiary Face. I've suffered same in many picts too. grin
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12
Maybe the Benoits have a speech impediment. I can't imagine showing up to deer camp with a rifle that looked like that. I don't even a downtown pimp would want to be caught with one.

Originally Posted by crowrifle
[Linked Image]

If I was ever to pay that kind of scratch for a pump it would not be to someone that couldn't spell 'synthetic'.

Damn.
Posted By: 1sgLunde Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12
Hi RG!
I hunted the woods of Washburn County in Wisconsin and took several nice bucks west of Minong using a Winchester 100 with a peep.
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12

As far as the guns go, they are collector pcs. Hal Blood has a limited run pump carbine out now too. All the power to anyone who can market and make a living doing it.

They call them "limited runs" because the can't sell enough of them.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12
RGrim

Welcome to the 'Fire. I like your shorty 7600 with the peep. An '06?

I have a shorty in .358Win which occasionally sees some of the same country as yours. I have a "few" others but the short one is my favorite for WI and MI.

WN
Welcome RG. I've been hunting SE Sawyer county for 41 years.

Here, other side of the pond, we don't know about the Benoit Rifles but we know about pump. Mostly 35 Whelen, some 280 Rem. Most of time carbine, 47cm barrel and red dot sights on.

Dom
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss198/Hunter4570
/var5.jpg[/IMG]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/19/12
What a great topic to make my first post on. been lurkin but finally going to chime in.

I'm from Wisconsin, hunt the Northwoods of Bayfield Co. In our camp all we use is pumps and levers. I've had my pump since 85 and taken many deer with it and no problems. I did switch it up a bit this year and "benoited" it. Cut the barrel and added a Peep. Comes up great, I'm really excited about next November already.

look forward to joining the conversations!

07 deer tracked and taken at 70 yds.

[Linked Image]
One of my bucks this past season, 30 yds still hunting.
[Linked Image]
And my revamped sporty 76
[Linked Image]

Nice! Love the red and green plaid brigade!

RGrim lemme guess.....did you flush those bucks outta hiding by rattling the forend of those 7600's,and killin' them on the run? Welcome to the CF! grin wink
Bob,

In WI, we use the forend on the slides to rattle bucks IN. whistle
Glad to see Wi well represented on this board! 30-06 is all I've ever owned.

As far as the Red and Black, the motto in our camp is Wool & Witt! We have a great group, lot's of fun!

[Linked Image]

Although sometimes we take it a bit far! Ha Ha. If you see somebody cruisin through the woods in the red plaid chances are it's one of our RPG's (red plaid gang)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
Outstanding pics, Grim. Out our way, it's the GPG, I guess. grin

George
Posted By: BrentD Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
Those guys are just poseurs. No way they hunted and killed deer with rifles like that. Bunch of fakers! Egspurts here on the 'fire know you can't do with less than a scoped Remington in at least 300 WM...

Nice outfits though!
Posted By: RGrim Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
Were stickin with the red up here. Last year I showed up with a nice green & black johnson cape coat and you should've seen the eybrows. Plus, it's Wisconsin and the blaze orange rules it helps get away with just a vest.

Posted By: 1sgLunde Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
WOW!
Just like it was when I was in Wisconsin/Red-black Plaid. The true Northwoods Camo.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
Killed a bunch of running deer in thick cover using scoped rifles. Those rifles are hideous.

RGrim, welcome to the fire. Nice duds -- there's nothing like wool in dry and cold weather. Between the levers and the pumps what would you say are the, say, top three cartridges you see in the woods?
Green and black is an old fav of my Dads and mine. Fact is, I'm ordering a new one from Bemidji Woolen mills this spring.

Dober
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
I have preferred a scope on a rifle for Vermont buck hunting. The law always used to require one 3" spike then it went to a fork horn and now a buck must have at least two antler points 1" long to be legal in the firearms buck season.

Thus I would rather not use irons. To each his own.

In the past the most common rifle I saw in the VT forests was a Rem. 740 likely a 30-06.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
Bob,

In WI, we use the forend on the slides to rattle bucks IN. whistle

Skane I gotta try that! cool
Posted By: jim62 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Killed a bunch of running deer in thick cover using scoped rifles. Those rifles are hideous.

Your STUPIDITY is what's hideous ,dickhead..
Posted By: RGrim Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Between the levers and the pumps what would you say are the, say, top three cartridges you see in the woods?

30-06, 30-06 and 30-06. Although, one of our guys picked up a 35 Whelen this offseason so I'm interested in seeing that. One of the lever guys has had great luck with the 45/70

As far as the iron sights, as long as my eyes stay good I'm sticking with them. Opening day I spend in the tree with a scope but when I'm moving no thanks. Works for me.

Hideous? must be talking about that earlier post with the tactical type with the silver barrel.
Originally Posted by jim62

Your STUPIDITY is what's hideous ,dickhead..

It pales compared to your's little boy. I just rebuilt a 760 for a friend. He wanted a laminated thumbhole stock. It was a abomination.
Posted By: tzone Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
Originally Posted by swampdonkey700
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

This is one of the best features of this site.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/20/12
Originally Posted by swampdonkey700
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

This is one of the best features of this site.

+10000
If you like garish redneck pos rifles they are perfect.
Posted By: RGrim Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/21/12
If you like garish redneck pos rifles they are perfect.

Wow!

I guess you just don't get it. To each their own!
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/21/12

Originally Posted by Eremicus
At 50 yds., or less, a scope won't do anything for you on a running animal. Assuming you can easily see the sights.
E

Eremicus doesn't hunt thick cover whitetails........he's a desert hunter.

[Linked Image]

I kinda like the pic alittle better in B&W...

[Linked Image]
The original camo that still works.

Yup, that stuff worked like a charm before RealTree HD SuperDuper etc etc............. grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RDFinn

[Linked Image]

I kinda like the pic alittle better in B&W...

[Linked Image]

Agree, but the sepia is much better. That's what we put in the cabin.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kawi Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/21/12
Nice deer ugly people.grin
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/21/12
Originally Posted by kawi

LOL.
Originally Posted by kawi

LOL.

Agree, but they are nice on the inside. ha
At least there were lever and pump guns and no banjo's in the pics... cool

Dober
Posted By: billy336 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/23/12
I'm sorry, I can handle the red plaid coats, but those pants are ridiculous. If you showed up to my camp lookin like that...

Granted, we southerners are a bit different from everyone else
Posted By: iambrb Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/23/12
I have seen that diamond pattern offered by some custom barrel makers, but that is tackiest day-um thing I have ever seen.

Well, back in the 70's when I was a teen and working in the gunshop, I remember a family sold us gramps "Dar-raffle" 'case they could 'git no more bullets' and it quit shootin. it was a 1911 Swiss-Rubin that gramps had cut the barrel to about 18", very expertly welded a bracket to the receiver to hold a cheap scope and to the stock he had cut it off just ahead of the mag screw. He had also welded two studs under the barrel, and a piece of barstock tot hat, and then a crude tube, and to the tube ran a long, l-shaped bar that converted the straight-pull into a pump-gun! it was uglier than Rosie O'donnel, but it worked, and gramps had a darn-sight less than $2500 in it
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/23/12
Originally Posted by billy336
If you showed up to my camp lookin like that...

We'd probably sweat our a$$e$ off! grin

WN
Posted By: billy336 Re: Benoit Brothers Rifles - 04/23/12
Originally Posted by billy336
If you showed up to my camp lookin like that...

We'd probably sweat our a$$e$ off! grin

WN

LOL, that's for damn sure. I've killed deer in flip flops, no guff
© 24hourcampfire