Home
It was about 70 yard out, along with other two of the same quality...
I think it would be an Ok buck, don't you think?..

[Linked Image]
is this a trick question?
only if you had a tag.
I don't get it....Flinch
It would be a dead mulie.
The G2's could be longer,but the front forks are pretty fair...... smile

Unless you're a very particular mule deer hunter with a very long track record of big bucks, I think you'd better drop the hammer.......
what did he say i cant hear him as i just shot a nice damn buck with no ear protection.........

unless you KNOW you can do better on the land you are hunting i think 99.99% of guys drop the hammer on his ass without hesitation
BOOM!!! get your knife out. Tom
Hey look! A dead mule deer!
It is not a trick question. I just took a picture of this deer on public land, unit 29 in Colorado, from some 70 yards away. I did not have a tag, but I thought I could get some adrenaline pumping here as the seasons are going. Sorry if it was too complicated!
On a public land DIY hunt I would shoot him in a second unless I had scouted much larger bucks in the area.

On private land with known mature bucks in the area, I'd let him walk.

He is a nice buck.

Good Luck

loder
I am guessing it has about a 21" spread, if that's acceptable pull the trigger.
Decent for public land. I'd say it's a shooter.
Back in the mid 1970's a guy could hunt colorado all week and maybe only see a couple of forkhorns, as I have more than once.
That deer would not have been a question, management is better now. I might pass him on the first or second day, but shoot after that.
I think people are confused with the "is is legal"? We don't know if its legal or not. Depends on the regs for the area etc...

Is it a shooter? Probably in most areas. Is is a Booner? .. probably not quite.
Bang, flop, chop, truck, home, bbq.
I'd take him on the last day of the hunt.
and depending on what I had seen maybe a day or two before the last day.
I would shoot, then check his score/rack.
Heh, I guess people see a lot more nice bucks than I do! I sure thought it was quite a dandy. If I had a tag I'd be shooting that guy. I think it is quite large for Colorado.
Looks like an ear-wide 4x4 with decent mass which = a good representative buck! If you don't have such a beast, SHOOT!.

If you've shot/passed/seen a lot of ear-wide muleys, these are the bucks that you need to be willing to trade for tag soup if you ever wanna shoot a big 'un.

He's a good buck.
BTW, here's some big 'uns:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here's a couple dinks that hang around the house.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Here's a couple dinks that hang around the house.

And they are STILL hanging around the house?? cool
If that was my house they would be hanging around in the garage.
Those photos were taken this afternon (Thursady). I have 5-6 of them around. Nothing but long legged rats
I'd be touching one off.......in a heart beat.

CLB
Originally Posted by lazydrifter

My thoughts as well. grin
Originally Posted by lazydrifter

Garage my arse, they would be hanging out in the deep-freeze!!! grin
you guys out west are gonna make me vomit LOL 1 word BANG, Rick those are for sure some studs on the truck maybe one day i will get to come out west and go on a hunt and try it for myself Ron
I'd be for shooting most all of the bucks pictured on this thread!
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy

[Linked Image]

In CA I would shoot that buck on the 1st minute of the 1st day of the season and not look back. Course I would go buy another A zone tag!
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy

[Linked Image]

Don't know schit about muleys, but I do know I'd smoke that one in his tracks without a second thought.
I took these pics with a little pocket camera where I bowhunt in Southern Idaho just a few weeks before it opened. We found them again during the season and my friend almost got a shot. I've hunted this place almost by myself for 20 years but I think word has gotten out because there where hunters everywhere this year.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I've learned where the big boys hang out and almost every year for the past 5 or 6 years I've seen at least a few over 30". Public land DIY. One day I'll have to drawn a rifle tag.
I also need a better camera, I wish I would have taken pics as I've scouted over the years.

Bb
Saddlesore, I think I see the picture now. I'd prefer those in your yard to those I saw...
Rick; those two mulies in the back of the truck look like "the Bodie Buck Monsters". Any truth to that? Just quessing. Tom
Nice animals guys definately some shooters on this thread!
I'm headed out to Colorado for second season mule deer Unit 62. If I see a buck like that, he's going down even if it is first thing opening morning!
I've killed a total of 3 mule deer so far, a spike and a doe with bow, a spike with muzzleloader (all legal at the time and place). I would love to have a nice 3x3 or 4x4 of that width and height for my wall (and freezer!)
© 24hourcampfire