Home
I just bought my daughter a 25-06 for hunting whitetails, what bullets do you recommend for a bang-flop.

I had thought about 110 grain nosler accubonds.

Suggestions?
Rock on
100 grain Sierra or Ballistic Tips. They are working well for us.
I've killed deer with 100, 117 and 120gr Sierras. Started using 100gr Btips when they hit the market and those other bullets are still taking up space in my cabinet.

100gr Btips have been very accurate in my three 25-06s, have provided swift, no-drama kills from about 75 yards to out beyond 400 yards, thus I have no complaints nor any plans to switch.

Best wishes with her 25-06. It's a fine whitetail cartridge and doesn't produce enough recoil to bother most shooters. All the punishment occurs where it counts.
Posted By: DKA Re: 25-06 bullets for whitetails - 12/23/09
I use 115 Gr Nosler BT and 120 Gr Nosler Partitions, very good results. Can't go wrong with a 25 06.
110 Accubonds and 100TSX and TTSX!!!!!
I've played around with a few, but the 100gr TSX/TTSX is the bullet I use when things get serious.
I've used Speer 120BTSP, Speer 120GS and Barnes 115 TSX. All work great, but the TSX causes less bloodshot meat.
Posted By: Ken14 Re: 25-06 bullets for whitetails - 12/23/09
100 Hornady FB or 100 NBT..have over 20 DRT's with both
I really like Sierra's...100 and 117 gr SPBT'S. I've shot 100 gr core-lokt and 110 ge Accubonds...all of em did the job.
My boy hunts with the 25-06 now and he killed his first buck this year using 117 gr Sierra's....bang, flop!
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I've played around with a few, but the 100gr TSX/TTSX is the bullet I use when things get serious.

Yep. Accurate and perform very well on game. Especially at 25-06 velocities.
My favorites are the Accubond and the 100 Ballistic Tips.
At 100g or above, can you pick a bad bullet for Whitetails in the .25-06?
Thanks everyone, most of the time she will be stand hunting in the hardwoods of PA, not more than a 100 yard shot possible. Where we hunt the deer can tend to be moving briskly due to the 1 million hunters in the woods. I just want to make sure if she hits the deer in the shoulders it will do the job. Lots of good advice on here, I bought a box of Accubonds and loaded a couple under 49.5 grains of IMR 4350 and with a new gun I got a 1 inch group at 100 yards after breaking the barrel in. A guy at work gave me some 117 grain Sieera Prohunters and 100 grain ballistic tips to try, I will do that after the Holidays. I am sure with playing around with loads this is going to be a great shooting gun. My youngest daughter shot a nice six point with her .243 this year, she was using 95 grain ballistic tips and hit the front shoulder, we recovered the deer but it took a little effort. That is why I was curious about the 25-06.

Thanks to all
Another vote for the accubond. DRT expected.
Posted By: JPro Re: 25-06 bullets for whitetails - 12/23/09
These three 110AB's are from the last three bucks that I've killed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All deer were quite dead and damage was as expected. Three bullets may not be a big sample, but I'd like a bit more penetration, considering the biggest deer was maybe 160lbs. I've got some SSII's to try, and if I don't like them, I'll go with a TTSX or E-Tip next. If I was hunting more open areas, I'd be satisfied with what I've seen from the AB. Southern briar thickets suck, and they suck even more when you are tracking a deer with no exit wound and little or no blood.

Hornady 120 gr Hp... don't let the "HP" fool ya it is a tough bullet.

Doc
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore

Doc

+1 Great bullet...all the penetration you need with quick expansion.
I have a box of Sierra 120 grain HP, would they be about the same as the Hornady?
In my experience the accubonds out penetrate the ssii's.
Originally Posted by centralpahunter
I have a box of Sierra 120 grain HP, would they be about the same as the Hornady?

Yes, IME the 120gr Sierra HPBT us a wonderfully accurate bullet....and its terminal performance is very good, in fact, quite similar to the Hornady. The Sierra HPBT's are the "toughest" bullets that Sierra makes.
Posted By: JPro Re: 25-06 bullets for whitetails - 12/23/09
Originally Posted by jwill350
In my experience the accubonds out penetrate the ssii's.

Bigger frontal area? I gotta give them a try, but I wouldn't be suprised if my results were similar to yours.
Yep, The swifts I've shot retain more weight than the accubonds but they also have a wider frontal diameter and the accubonds penetrate farther. I like both bullets, but if I had to pick, I'd take the accubonds.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: 25-06 bullets for whitetails - 12/24/09
I have had great "bang-flop" success with 100 gr. TSX's out of my #1. However, I have used 110 gr. NAB's as well to a lesser degree and they are just as good. Pick one, you won't make a bad decision.
Doctor Encore and southtexas have got it right. That 120 HP Hornady is one stout bullet! Not that the others mentioned are a lesser bullet, they're all good, but those 120s from Hornady WORK! I simply love 'em in my 25-06. Good luck and Merry Christmas. Tom
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore

Doc

+1 Great bullet...all the penetration you need with quick expansion.

This bullet was designed specifically for elk by Joyce Hornady. It is never a bad choice in any of the .257's
i always shoot the barnes and they have worked very well for me. i shoot them in my 25-06 and my 300wby.
Bang flops...????

That only happens if you disable the CNS or disrupt a deers drive line.

Too much wasted meat, shoot em in the lungs let em do the death run, gut em out and eat well.

I've used nothing but 100gr. bullets on deer out of my 25'06.
Started with Partition's and ended with TSX's, I have even taken 4 moose and 1 bull elk with these bullets, some ran, some flopped, but that was more of a result of the shot placement.

All died, all within sight of where they were shot too.

Posted By: keith Re: 25-06 bullets for whitetails - 12/24/09
I don't know that I have shot a bad 100g Bullet on deer.
Nosler Partitions, 100 gr and 120 gr shot very well in my rifle.
And I yet to recover one.
I've gotten lots of damage from 100 grain NBT out of my .257 Ackley.
I've switched to 110 Accubombs but need to try the TSX as well

ML
Posted By: 30378 Re: 25-06 bullets for whitetails - 12/25/09
120gr Nosler Partitions work really well.
Posted By: rbell Re: 25-06 bullets for whitetails - 01/01/10
115 gr nosler partition, 120 gr speer hotcore, 120 gr Remington corlock in that order.
© 24hourcampfire