Home
I had posted in this thread Son's First Deer
That my son used this bullet to take his first deer last weekend. There was a question on whether or not the bullet exited. So, i thought I'd report on the performance for those interested.

The shot was made at about 60 yrds. I am not sure of my muzzle velocity at the moment, but can find out if anyone is interested.

the bullet entered through the right shoulder as shown here:
[Linked Image]

It then went through the ribs as shown here (sorry for the grass in the pic):
[Linked Image]

It went through the top half of the heart causing massive damage, went through a rib on the left side, and stopped just under the hide on the left side.

Here is a pic of the recovered bullet (weighing 45.5 grains):
[Linked Image]

It looks like a textbook pic of a Partition. I know that the bullet didn't exit, but considering it's size, what it went through in the process, and the fact that the deer only went 30 or so yds after the shot, I am happy with its performance. I do plan on having my son keep his shots under 100 yds though.

Ryan
Thanks for the post and pics! That's the bullet I have loaded for .223 should I ever decide to hunt it. Any idea how fast you are running them?
I've had a pass thru on a shoulder shot using that bullet from a 22-250, at a bit longer range than this shot.

Wouldn't be afraid to use that combo again, if I had to. They're also pretty accurate: Three into 3/4" at 100 yards from the bipod and no scope adjustments needed, since they were within a quarter inch of the "normal" 55gr Btip loads in the same rig.

Good job.
You've got to be happy with that!

I've had equal success with 53 grain Barnes X's and TSX's, out of my .22 CHeetah on many Mule and White-tailed deer. Lots of pass through's too - including the odd big bone hit.
"I am not sure of my muzzle velocity at the moment,"

DUHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

George
.223 or 22-250 or something else??????

-Roger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Any idea how fast you are running them?

I used 25.5 gr of H335, and with the short Mdl 7 barrel, it should be right around 2,950 fps. But, I haven't chronographed the load yet.

thanks!
Originally Posted by gunnut308
.223 or 22-250 or something else??????

-Roger

.223 in a Remington Model 7.

Ryan
The 60g Partition out of a 22/250 tears up a deer like a 30/06 with a 150g Hornady.
Performance on par with many larger cartridges. Never done the NPT in 22's. Always had Hornady or Speer on hand. Thanks for the post non believers beware.

Joseph
have to try them in the 223
Good stuff! Thanks for posting.
If you don't mind me asking, what load are you using with it? I have not been able to get the 60gr Partitions to shoot in mine.
Originally Posted by 30378
If you don't mind me asking, what load are you using with it? I have not been able to get the 60gr Partitions to shoot in mine.

Originally Posted by RyanTX
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Any idea how fast you are running them?

I used 25.5 gr of H335, and with the short Mdl 7 barrel, it should be right around 2,950 fps. But, I haven't chronographed the load yet.

thanks!
© 24hourcampfire