Home
Posted By: Bitman 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
I'm in the process of putting together a Ruger Compact rifle, in .243 for my Nephew. He will be shooting deer in Michigan with it, at ranges from 50 yds. to maybe 150 yds. I'll be loading the ammo for him, but looking for your thoughts on bullets. I was thinking of the Nosler Partition in 100 grains.
Posted By: tzone Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
Buy some Remington Core-locs or Federal Fusion, and let him shoot those before you work up a load.
Posted By: DeerTracker Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
I would suggest Fusions. I shoot fusions out of both of my 270s and i have never shot factory ammo as accurate as this stuff. It works awesome too. Just read some of the reviews of the Fusions on Midway. Everyone loves them and they are cheap too!
Posted By: Will_C Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
I use a .243 for deer sometimes, and I think you are on the right path for a deer load. I actually use 85 grain Partitions, they group better in my rifle. I think if you use .243 for deer, a premium bullet helps...a little extra insurance is never a bad thing.

Will
Posted By: High_Brass Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
100gr Remington Core-Lokt
Posted By: handwerk Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
My 11 year old and I loaded 80 grain TTSX's for his .243 and they worked fantastic on his 5 pt. this year, plus they're easy on the kids shoulder.I was amazed at what that little bullet did to a decent size northern buck.
Posted By: Bitman Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
The TTSX bullet, this is Barnes, ,correct?
Thanks for all the recommendations guys.
I'm still listening.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
High Brass and I load 100gr Rem. CoreLokts with good results in performance and accuracy. You may want to try a bit faster powder like IMR 4064 if the rifle doesn't want to shoot well. A guy at work loads for his wife's compact .243 and he couldn't get it to shoot well with powders in the 4350 burn rate range.
Another vote for the fusion if you are going to grab something off the store shelf. We have a couple .243 in our camp. I think my daughter uses 95 gr.

Posted By: Pugs Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
I think I've shot deer with the .243 with just about everything and I'd go with the Barnes 85 gr TSX or the 95 or 100 gr Partition.

The only one I would really stay away from is the 100 gr Sierra Game King.

I have found it a highly satisfactory round and see a .243 AI in my future since my last was given to a nephew for his first centerfire.
Posted By: southtexas Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
For shots at 150 yds or less, I'd look hard at the 100gr hornady RN.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
My favorite for deer in the 243 is the Swift 90 gr Scirocco with IMR 4064
Originally Posted by southtexas

Dat would be a very good choice!

Dober
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/29/10
partitions are great on deer, I used a 95 grain SST on mine last year, dropped him in his tracks.

if its a youngster I would say an 85 grain partition would be perfect.

if you're buying ammo, then you can't go wrong with corlocts
Posted By: roninflag Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/30/10
i have shot a bunch with the 85 sierra bthp and 37.5 I-4064. i used that load for years for both coyote and deer. for strictly deer a 95 partition. 4350 for max velocity. i -4064 or varget for best accuracy
I vote for the Barnes 85 gr. TSX @ 3000 fps. One tough bullet, check out my post from a couple years ago. Barnes is the way to go IMO.

Barnes bullets on OK deer.
Posted By: Dale K Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/30/10
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by southtexas

Dat would be a very good choice!

Dober

I agree although I usually run the Spire Point version.

Dale
Posted By: kyreloader Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/30/10
I loaded 85g Sierra Gameking HPBT with IMR4198 (25g) to 2500 fps for my nephew (11yo) this year. He killed a nice whitetail doe at about 200 yards without incidence.

I loaded it down to 2500fps for the decreased recoil and because his shots will all be 150y or less. That load in his Remington 770 shoots really well with very little report/recoil. He is recoil shy and can shoot this load all day long.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/30/10
85 barnes with a charge of 43 grains R19

90 grain nosler BT with 42 grains of R19
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It works for my wife!
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/30/10
My Father and Uncle have been killing deer for 30 yrs with the Speer 105 grain RN. I load the 100 grain Hornady RN and Sierra GK in my 243.

I lent it to my friend for his 14 yr old daughter to use, and she killed her 1st buck with the Sierra. At 50 yds, it blew thru the chest, broke some ribs, and broke the off side shoulder before exiting the deer. Needless to say, the buck only went 3 feet. Down.
Posted By: Ruger # 1 Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/30/10
95 gr. Ballistic Tip.Probably my all time favorite .243 deer bullet.
Posted By: Bitman Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/30/10
Originally Posted by Ruger # 1

How does this bullet perform, if deer is hit in the front shoulder?
I know there great for boiler room shots. I only ask, because I have no experience with BT's on larger game. Thanks
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/31/10
The second picture of my wife, that Mule deer was hit in the shoulder at 200 yds. with a 90 grn. BT
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/31/10
Originally Posted by Whelenman
The second picture of my wife, that Mule deer was hit in the shoulder at 200 yds. with a 90 grn. BT

At 200 yds, just about any bullet will hold together when hitting a shoulder. The true test is what happens at 50 yds when it is going 3000fps. I would be very leary of a BT holding together at close range when hitting big bones.

Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/31/10
I use the 95 grain Partition to hunt with and the 95 grain BT to practice with. Both shoot to the same approximate POA in the 15 or so 243 and 6mm rifles that I've used them in.

I used to use the 85 grain Sierra BTHP in .243" and the 90 grain Sierra BTHP in .257", but after 4 failures, 2 from each bullet weight/diameter, I won't hunt deer or antelope with them anymore. I have come to the conclusion that, for me, I want a bullet that is sure to penetrate in the sub-.284" bore hunting cartridges, so in the .224", .243", .257", and .264" that means Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, and Speer. No Sierra, for anything put paper and varmints.

As with many things in life, YMMV.

Jeff
Posted By: southtexas Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/31/10
Jeff: What about the 270? Would you be comfortable with Sierra's in it for deer? also, have you tried the Sierra's 257 120gr HPBT? thanks
Posted By: Ruger # 1 Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/31/10
Originally Posted by Bitman
Originally Posted by Ruger # 1

How does this bullet perform, if deer is hit in the front shoulder?
I know there great for boiler room shots. I only ask, because I have no experience with BT's on larger game. Thanks

IME,it performs well.you'll have quite a bit of blood shot meat on the shoulder,but you'll get plenty of penetration if thats your concern.I shot a doe with the 95 gr BT a few years back at 23 paces, quartered hard away.Hit her in the short ribs, recovered the bullet under the hide at the front of her neck.The only place she went was down.
Posted By: m21black Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/31/10
85 grain Nosler Part.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 03/31/10
I don't shoot 120 grain .277" bullets and I don't, usually, shoot bullets weighing over 115 grain in my .257" bore rifles. I shoot 140 grain Partitions in my 270 WSM and I shoot most anything/everything in the 75 grain to 115 grain range in my .257" bore rifles.

Jeff
Posted By: PepeLp Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/01/10
Have had real good luck with the Barnes 85 gr. TSX. You can use the Hornady 87 gr. VMax for practice and varmints, and the Barnes for bigger stuff.
Posted By: barnold1 Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/04/10
If you get the urge for a factory load the 95 gr XP3 worked awesome, through the chest at I believe 80 yds.

I shot a buck with a Nosler BT (with a .280) in the shoulder up close once and it didn't go down. We tracked after it and saw a glimpse of it hauling ass again, with blood on the entry side shoulder, but it got away.
Posted By: North61 Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/04/10
I have a Rem 600 in 6mm with an 18.5" barrel. Haven't used this to hunt deer but have taken many caribou. It is my wife's main gun. I have used it enough to form some serious biases.

Folks seem to like the TSX's and they do penetrate better than anything else but in my experience they don't leave the width of bullet channel of the Partition. At close range and high velocity the petals can blow off leaving a very small wound channel in the second, third and fourth quarters of penetration after a great big channel in the front 1/4. This isn't good on a quartering shot.

At long range the explosive expansion is lacking. In a small .243 you need all the help you can get. I can't get exited about the TSX.

Cup and Core bullets with a mechanical lock like the Rem CL or Horn Interlock work well except at close range were a core separation is possible. This limits penetration though usually not critically. The Ballistic Tip has nothing to lock the core in and can lose the core limiting penetration. I don't use it. Sometimes it works well. Sometimes it doesn't. The new Accubond might be better. Except bonded bullets often overexpand.

Bonded bullets will often over-expand at close range. This creates a very wide wound channel that on quartering shots might not penetrate well enough. The Accubond seems to have more limited expansion than most. It might be good but I don't have experience with it yet.

The Nosler Partition is wonderfully balanced. It offers some of the explosive expansion of a cup and core (front half) with some of the penetration prowess of the X bullet (back half). To me it's better than both. I have used the 85, 95 and 100 grain. The 85 has worked well but is out penetrated by the heavier bullets. There is little to choose between 95 and 100.

We have some 115 Barnes Original RN that also work well but even here the 100 Nosler Partitions work a bit better. You could through out every other bullet for the 6 in my opinion and never feel lacking.

Posted By: gunnut308 Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/04/10
As mentioned earlier, the Speer 105gr round nose works great. It ain't real sexy looking, but it really penetrates. Crazy accurate in my .243's.
Posted By: Tirtypointer Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/06/10
My son lost a deer this year to a very well placed shot at 40 yards using Hornady 100gr SST. The deer turned sharply after being hit and trotted off without leaving a blood trail. The SST bullets shot great at 100 yards but I will no longer use them for hunting. We will switch to a 100gr Partition for 2010.
Posted By: mathman Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/06/10
My son lost a deer this year to a very well placed shot

This begs the question: How do you know?
Posted By: southtexas Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/06/10
Originally Posted by Tirtypointer
a very well placed shot at 40 yards using Hornady 100gr SST.

Another begged question: Hornady does not list a 100gr 6MM SST on its website.
Posted By: slg888 Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/10/10
95 grain Nosler BT out of my .243 has worked well for me.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/10/10
You can't go wrong with the 100 gr. Partition. I've seen them kill lots of stuff, even stuff much bigger and tougher than deer.
I'd say that if you need to have more confidence in your .243 load, then the 100 gr. Partition is the way to go.
All of that said, any of the 100 gr. cup and core stuff will work fine. All of them were designed for that round as well as the 6mm Remington for use on deer class stuff. The only problems I've ever seen from the .243 were from bad shooting or using varmit bullets on big game. E
Posted By: keith Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/11/10
I have killed a box car full of critters with a 95g partition loaded with 43g of IMR 4350 with a Win primer. Some very large deer were killed at ranges of 350 yards, all one shot kills with only one traveling 25 yards(he was a monster Nebraska buck).

Later on, I discovered the 100g Hornady BTSP loaded with 42.3g of IMR 4350 with a Win primer...this bullet is really hard to believe how great it really is. We killed some large hogs in Texas with it shot straight through the shoulders and at quartering angles. The 100g Hornady BTSP is really a very accurate bullet.

I have a friend that moved to New Zealand, he has kept in touch at how effective the 95g SST is on the large deer they have down there...this is a guy in which you can trust his judgement.

I have a little nephew that is only 13, and I worked up a load for his 243 model 7 with a muzzle break with the 85g Tripple shocks. I was amazed at how accurate this bullet is. With a single box of 50, I worked up a load with IMR 4064 that was super accurate from 39.2-40.5g of IMR 4064 with a Fed 210 and 42g of R#19. I only had one box of bullets(50) and had bullets left over. The 4064 load was the most accurate, but the R#19 was faster by 150 fps.

I was pleasantly surprised at how little the 85g Barnes tripple shock bullets copper foul a barrel.

I have a box of 85g Hornady Interbonds that I am going to try in my own rifle...just for grins and giggles.

There are lot of really great bullets for the 243, no doubt. Shot placement may be more important than the bullet selection, so much so that bullet selection may be a moot point.

One thing that I noticed about youngsters is how unwieldy rifles are for them to balance and point. My little nephew was started off with a Thompson Contender with a Carbine barrel in 7/30 Waters which he could handle very well. We put a 2-8 Leupold on it so he could have a wide field of view. He has killed 12 deer along with a few coyotes, bobcats, and deer running dogs with the 7/30 Waters. The 243 Model 7 has been sitting in the safe waiting for him to grow so he could handle it.

Hope this helps
I am a Nosler Partition fan, my favorite bullet in 30 caliber and above, but not in calibers below 270..The Nosler partitions simply have too small of a frontal diameter when fully expanded in both the 22 and 6mm calibers, even the 25s are a bit small IMO...I have gotten by with them well in the more open country where I could watch the run and get a direction or see them fall, but they sure can make a lot of tracks on ocassion.

I much prefer a Remington Corelokt, Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interlock, even the 100 gr. Sierra, or some other cup and core, or bonded core bullet that reacts a bit more violently and leaves a better blood trail.

My all time favorite 6mm in the larger 6mms is the 100 gr. Remington Corelokt. I saw one of these shoot through an Eland lengthwise, and thats pretty amazing IMO...
Posted By: SAUMHUNTER79 Re: 243 Bullet Suggestion - 04/13/10

The only one I would really stay away from is the 100 gr Sierra Game King.[/quote] Out of curiousity, what's wrong with 100gr Gameking, is it too soft and expand to fast and not penetrate well or what?
© 24hourcampfire