Home
I wonder how they work in real hunting situation.Also please post what attractant you like most and at what kind of hunting situation. I buy Bob Kirshner's stuff simply because its cheaper and local. I heared some great things about Code Blue.
As a long time Maryland bowhunter I have used Kirschners stuff for many years. It has worked well for me. It is about all I use anymore in Roam, Curiosity, and Mimic Scrape. I hunt mostly in MD and VA, so it seems to "Match the Hatch" for me here. I have spooked deer with Silvertop II though, it seems a little goes a long way. Now, I use Border crossings VS-1 instead. I also have taken to using the Deer Herd in a bottle on my treesteps and boots. It seems to work well at keeping deer near the tree longer and at ease. Deer follow the trail left by it quite well.

Others I have tried with good success have been: Real Deer, Eddie Salter deer pellets, Deer Dander, Hs scents Buck Lure Supreme, and Supreme II, Trails End 307, Golden Estrus, and James Valley gel scents. Also, although not scents, Acorn Rage, Feeder Fire, and C'mere Deer powder have work well for me as well.

I have had deer spook with: Buck Fire, Pete Richards Indian Deer Lure, HS doe pee, Several Ms. Doe Pee products, Tinks 69, and Still Steamin.

The failures could just be to others in my area using them or the deers experience level when exposed to strange "new deer" scent. I have alot of experience using scents and have been very successful with them so it may, or may not, be me.
I use the Smokin Sticks quite a bit when the wind is variable. I use the non-rut one mostly. I cannot rember the name of it and have deer walk up to it and watch the smoke for quite awhile before spooking. I firmly believe in it especially if I am on the ground.
Never used smokin' sticks but have had success with Code Blue.
Are the Tinks sticks the same as the Deer Scents sticks from about 20 years ago?

They had a rut scent and an apple/food scent that they instructed you to use separately or together. You had to put a bucket with slots cut in it over the burning sticks to help control the burn rate and dispertion.

They smelled good. Never had much luck with them in the SC. swamps though.
For the hardwood bottoms I hunt here in Alabama I have had good luck with a local product. Shine's White Acorn cover scent/attractant.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Never used smokin' sticks but have had success with Code Blue.

I went code red when I tried smoking them. They really burned my throat when I inhaled, so now I just hang them on a limb somewhere.
I love to experiment w/ scents Tinks never worked here b/c everyone uses it . Ms Doe pee spooked also. Bob K. was so -so , Code Blue- seen bucks go crazy over the stuff but its expensive, luckily a little goes a long way. I never tried James Valley. The VS-1 is to expensive for me , the estrous & heard in a stick, it never drove them crazy but it never seemed to spook them in anyway, I messed around last year with the Fitzgerald stuff, deer dander ect... and was impressed , harvested 2 nice 8's in early archery & two more nice 8's late shotgun. Anything I had to light on fire & let smoke in a bucket or a scented candle never done anything. Just my experiences. Then again I know an Ol' Timer who urinates on the bottom of his tree stand & shoots bucks consistently!
I've smoked the sticks, drank the stuff in the bottle & ate the rasinettes... all it does is make me sick.

I must be doing it wrong?

Are you showering with "no-scent" soap???

Ingwe
ohhh..... "soap" huh?

well that explains a few things...

So.... That's why my beer makes me burp big bubbles. I've been stirring it into my beer, figured it was like them dry powder nestea packets you can add to water and since I don't drink much water....

hmm.

This hunting is tricky business no?

grin
Northern Dave & Ingwe to funny , make sure you shower w/ blue soap it helps hide you better! LOL !!!!!! With that I guess Code BLUE would be the best scent to use!
I just put a dab of tinks 69 behind each ear.

the deer seem to like it.

the wife, not so much.

These two fell for it. grin (Code Blue)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Last two time I tried scents I ended up w/ kids, guess the s*&% works on me.
Don't know about the sticks, but I've used Tinks 69 with some success.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I just put a dab of tinks 69 behind each ear.

the deer seem to like it.

the wife, not so much.

a dab behind the bean bag brings them in runnin'. laugh
Hey Ruger270,

What Fitzgerald products did you try?

How did you use them?

Yes, VH1 is expensive, but other than a long gone doe in estrus product, it has been very good for us.

I have set up mock scrapes by urinating in them. It works well, but I would expect that it is dependent upon what you eat and if you are taking any medications or vitamins that would leave a wierd scent. Guys I hunted with in South Carolina routinely pee in scrapes to good effect on the bucks using them. It really fires them up.

FB
JM,

That second buck looks tired....Glad you gave him a ride.

Brian
He had his nose up on the scent wick and caught one in the throat patch. tired

JM
Well, a fellow at work told me of one scent he uses regularly and with a success. Doesn't cost him anything... But this is so gross I wont even bring it up here. I probably try code blue this year.
Mule deer must not have sensitive noses. Salami sticks seem to work. Oh, and beer farts.
Fyshbum I tried the Deer Dander, Rampage & VK (Which is basically a Vanilla scent). Like I said I killed 4 nice bucks when I used these products but I was prob more in the right place at the right time. I can say , it didnt spook any deer when I used it.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
These two fell for it. grin (Code Blue)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice John M.
If it ain't James Valley it don't go huntin with me!
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
Last two time I tried scents I ended up w/ kids, guess the s*&% works on me.

The salt lick between your bathroom and bed probably helped a little.

Originally Posted by k98junkie
Well, a fellow at work told me of one scent he uses regularly and with a success. Doesn't cost him anything... But this is so gross I wont even bring it up here. I probably try code blue this year.

Let me guess. Wife's bloody tampon in a ziplock baggie.
Dr. Lou HA!

db102550, You had good luck w/ James Valley? I was thinking about messing with it this year, any specific one you recommend?
J.M.

That would do it. That white patch is sure nice to hold on. Sort of like a pronghorn shoulder. What was the Far Side statement with the bear? Bummer of a Birthmark!

FYE,

We tried an experiment in S.C. many years ago now. Everyone hunted in trees on our hunting lease and the deer had gotten pretty weary of the bigger trees to the point of looking up the larger trees for stands. I had watched them do it. An alternative plan was in order. Went to a good ridge running through the swamp that had no good stand trees and a lot of good rutting sign on it. We dug in a small pit blind with logs and debris covering the trail side of the stand. You could walk to the stand with only a twenty or so steps out of the water. All the dirt was moved away into the swamp and it was left for @ 3 months till the season really got rolling. It is the only time I have ever had an exit wound on top of the opposite shoulder with a bow. Next buck was taken by my hunting buddy from the same stand. He had placed some Tinks 69 about fifteen yards in front of the stand which was @ 6-8 verticle feet above the stand. The exit wound was out of the throat patch after the arrow went in slightly left of center under the rib cage. You just reminded me of that. Best blood trail I had ever seen until expandibles. Great stand as long as "Mr. No Shoulders" stayed out of it.
I tried the smokin sticks, they are hard to roll and bite the tongue at the end, you might try finding a decent $7 cigar instead. The code blue works on younger bucks in my experience, not so much on the big boys.
© 24hourcampfire