Home
Posted By: Scott Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Here is Austin's story in his own words. He's 11 and has been hunting with me since he was a tyke. Monday he finally got a buck. I couldn't be more proud. Add the good gobbler he shot this spring and he's had a dream season. Can't wait for next year and archery season, should be a blast.
Here is his story:
Hi everybody, here's the story of what happened today when I went hunting...enjoy!

My dad and I got up at 4:45 A.M. ,brushed our teeth,ate breakfast, and then got our camo on.Then he grabbed the 243 and got in our Jeep and took off to the lease. We got in the stand at about 6:25 A.M.,then we waited. We saw birds, a squirrel, and a couple of mice or voles, and heard about 50 shots in the first hour.My dad saw movement and then noticed it was a deer realized there were about 5 deer but all of them were doe. then we stood up for 10-15 minutes and then sat back down.Dad gave me some coffee, now the time was about 8:40 A.M. We heard a couple of snorts and then saw movement. My dad put the binoculars on the hill that was about 50+ yards in front of us. Then he said it was a buck, so, he quickly gave me the 243 and I found him in the scope. I had my gloves on, so when I went to pull the trigger, it didn't go off! I don't know if some of the fabric got caught , but I'm glad it didn't go off. Then I took off my right glove, found the deer in the scope, but he was walking away from me ,so, I shot and hit him and he turned and started toward us. I found him in the scope and shot him again, he fell over struggling to get back up, so, I finished him off with a shot in the neck.

The buck I shot was a 4 point with small antlers. From,
Austin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Scott;
Thanks for sharing Austin's story and photo with us.

If you will, please pass along a hearty congratulations to Austin on that fine and tasty looking buck.

I'll send you a tip of the hat for making sure Austin was able to get out hunting. Well done sir.

It's really great to see all the young hunters doing so well afield.

PS. Tell Austin that I'm still waiting for my first turkey, so he's one up on this BC hunter on that part.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: Winnie Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Tell him he has done better than me. smile

Have yet to shoot a darn deer. eek

I Hate California !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I have strong feelings against California in case you could now tell)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grin
Posted By: remfak Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Very cool story Austin. Thanks for sharing your story and picture!
Posted By: BullGoose Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Austin, you have done a fine job! A cool head when taking your time getting ready for the shot. A good first hit. A closer when you had a second good shot. Meat in the freezer. Looks like a buck with plenty of meat on him and the rack says that the meat is still young and tender. When you get older, you appreciate good eating more than big racks!

Here's hoping for bigger bucks every year for a long, long hunting career.
Posted By: Spazzoni Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Great story and a great first buck. Congratulations Austin.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Congratulations on a fine hunt. cool cool
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Nice! Congrats Austin!
Posted By: SKane Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Scott, that's great! High-fivearooski to Austin.
Posted By: maddog Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Austin, congratulations young man! Nice story and pic. Ya dun good!grin

maddog
Posted By: Lonny Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Great job Austin!
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
That's awesome.
Posted By: DJTex Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Congratulations to Father and Son! Nice job keeping calm and getting it done, and a very handsome buck! Looks like a big bodied deer...

Glad to see y'all spending time together hunting - it builds the best of memories!

Keep it up!

DJ
Posted By: AKBoater Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Great job Austin!!! It's got about 10 inches more horn and twice as many points as my first deer. Good job staying calm with the follow-up shots. That's a deer to be proud of, and he'll eat real well. And Thanks to Scott for continuing the tradition.
Posted By: 257ROBT Re: Austin's first buck - 12/02/10
Way cool!! That is still a bigger buck than I have shot in 20 years of hunting. I love hearing all these stories about 243's as well.

Dale
© 24hourcampfire