Home
Posted By: whelennut Mule Deer anyone? - 12/11/10
I have never hunted mule deer.
Where would be a place to go with some public land for me to try it? I want to camp out and go by myself.
whelennut
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/11/10
Find a state with good populations and hunter success, then apply for a license/tag.
Some states have some, but the hunter success sucks. California is a good example of that. Some states have high hunter success, but getting a license/tag are pretty tough. Nevada is like that. I'd consider Montana, Idaho, etc.
Be prepared to handle the weather, mountains and bad roads in most places. E
Posted By: rl11 Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/11/10
Not sure how you could leave Colorado out of a post about mule deer. That's the first state I'd be looking at, personally.
Posted By: selmer Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/11/10
whelennut - South Dakota has millions of acres of public land for hunting prairie mule deer, especially in the NW corner of the state. We hunt farther southeast in the state, but it's my favorite hunt of the year!
Posted By: BullGoose Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/12/10
Selmer is 100% right. Goto http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/areas/ and eyeball all that land. West river is where ya wanna be of course, but there is plenty out there. My brother went west with me for the first time this year. Doe tags for where we hunt but he was excited to see the deer and just to hunt new ground and see new scenery. It made me smile at how he got a grin on his face to see a few muley bucks begin their pogo-stick bounce away from us. He had never seen it before outside of television and he is not well traveled. It made for a great trip.
Posted By: davidlea Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/12/10
Wyoming is hard to beat, fairly easy to draw a region D tag, more public land than you'd hunt in a lifetime. There are lots of places to camp, open fires are usually prohibited. Try south of Rawlins or north of Medicine Bow.
Posted By: tzone Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/12/10
Originally Posted by selmer
whelennut - South Dakota has millions of acres of public land for hunting prairie mule deer, especially in the NW corner of the state. We hunt farther southeast in the state, but it's my favorite hunt of the year!

Always wanted to hunt SD for Mulies.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/12/10
You should take me with you.

I could be camp cook and camera man.

My price is cheap, one deer tag. grin
By the time I can go, you can buy my tag. laugh

I've never hunted there, but love that country and always wanted to. Black Hills is a neat place.
Maybe stumble into a Whitey too, who knows?
Posted By: Dino_in_Reno Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/12/10
Central and East Oregon too. I love hunting here in Nevada, oops, I mean it stinks here, no need to try here in Nevada... :-)

Dino in Reno
Posted By: whelennut Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/13/10
Thanks for the advice everyone! Maybe I can try it next year.
whelennut
Posted By: 1minute Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/13/10
I'd be most inclined to do Wyoming or Idaho. Tons of public land with great hunting and fishing. Oregon deer are in the toilet, and one must deal with a draw here. I live here and have not bothered with the local deer for several years.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Mule Deer anyone? - 12/13/10
Originally Posted by rl11
Not sure how you could leave Colorado out of a post about mule deer. That's the first state I'd be looking at, personally.

X2

© 24hourcampfire