Home
Posted By: amigo 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/24/10
Last Friday morning I was out feeding cows when my son called to tell me that he had just seen the biggest 7 point buck ever. The buck had come out of the brush chasing a doe out in front of the house. But just as suddenly as he appeared, he slipped back into the brush.
That afternoon he and I went about a half mile below the house to see if we could rattle this particular buck out for a shot. The wind was out of the north fairly brisk, and the only open spot we had would put him coming in down-wind. Being our only option, we decided to go ahead and give it a try. After about two minutes of rattling and breaking brush, the big 7 came charging our way. Unfortunately, as expected he winded us and hit the brush without ever slowing down.
Well, my son decided to go on and head to the blind he has been hunting and try his luck for something else.
Later in the evening I was in the office doing some paper work (or browsing on the fire), and my 10 year old daughter had come out to chat. She happened to look out in front of the house and excitedly whispered "Dad, he's back! Can I shoot him?" I told her we would try. We got a gun out and set up on the office porch.
The buck was chasing a doe again and ran her back into the brush before we could get on him. I told her that we would go over to the front porch of the house and set up there and wait on him to come back out. After 5 minutes the doe came back out in the clearing and the buck reemerged soon after. Before my daughter could get the sights of the little Alpha I .243 on him, he charged the doe and ran her back into the brush again. Discouraged, but still hopeful, we waited for another shot opportunity. Sure enough, about 5 more minutes the doe came back, followed by the big bruiser about 200 yards from our front porch blind. This time he looked directly at us, and before she could steady the cross-hairs on his chest, he charged the doe once more, circled through the mesquites and disappeared.
We waited until dark to no avail. My daughter asked if while I was gone the next morning and the buck came back, could she shoot him. I told her that I guess that would be alright (thinking we would probably never see him again). We talked about gun safety, shot placement and so on and put the gun in the cabinet.
The next morning after chores my son and I went up the road to a farm auction at the neighbors. About the time the sale started (10:00 am), my wife called to say that I needed to get home. I thought there must have been a fire as we have been so dry, but she excitedly informed me that our 10 year old had shot the big 7 point buck.
After arriving home, I was amazed to see the biggest 7 point I have ever seen in 15 years on the ranch. He was one of the few that didn't shrink when he hit the ground.
After hugs, congratulations, and pictures, my daughter told me her hunting story. It seems that she and her mother were cleaning the house that morning and she was telling my wife of the previous evenings hunt. She happened to look out the window and lo and behold the buck was back again! She ran and got "her" Alpha I out and quietly slipped out to the porch blind and set up. As she was settling the cross-hairs on him, would you believe that he repeated his performance of the night before and chased the doe off again. Well, my wife told our youngest daughter to run over to the office and get Daddy's rattling horns. After she came back with the horns, my wife clashed the horns together and tickled them a bit. Big Boy had to come out and see his competition, this time he stayed 1 second too long. One shot from the .243 and he dropped in his tracks. As he was quartering away she placed the 85 grain barnes ttsx behind the shoulder, through lungs, caught the spine, and into the off shoulder from 182 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The deer scored 133 2/8", 21 6/8" wide, and had a 13" G-2 and a 12" G-2.
Without pictures......it never happened!! grin
Great story. Where das pics?
Posted By: amigo Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/24/10
I'm trying but photobucket is locking up on me!
That is great! Congrats.

Dink
Outstanding!!!!! Russ
Posted By: SKane Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/24/10
That is WAYYYYY cool. Congrats!
Wow! Congratulations!!!
Awesome that is great can't wait to show this to my 9yr old daughter.
That is awesome and a monster 7.
Wow, great deer. Looks very wide. Kids will be smiling for a long time!
Posted By: maddog Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/24/10
Now that is a kickazz buck! Congrats to the young lady!

maddog
Most Excellent!!!
Must be that deer couldn't see the BLUE jeans the kids were wearing.
Sweet!
An independent lady there! Way to go!
Good lord what a buck!!! Congrats to the ladies on working him back out for a shot. Heck of a good story there!
Posted By: LouisB Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/24/10
Fantastic story and results.

Congratulations!
Very cool! Very unique buck...almost looks like a muley.

You're making me miss home. We haven't been down to Charlotte to visit my Mom and Dad in almost 6 months. Going to hopefully rectify that early next year, and maybe get a little hunting in while I'm down.

-Dan
Posted By: LBP Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/24/10
Congratulations Ladies!!!
Posted By: battue Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/24/10
Niiiiiiice!!!!

Love those hunt'n boots also.
amigo;
That sir is a wonderful hunting story. Thanks so much for sharing it and the fine photos with us.

I especially like the top photo of your daughter and her hunting boots. Very cool photo there! cool

Please pass along congratulations to her on a very fine buck.

If I may, I'll send a tip of the hat to you and your wife for making the necessary preparations to ensure another young hunter was successful. Well done to you both.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas from our family to yours.

Regards,
Dwayne
Congratulations on a terrific hunt. cool cool
Posted By: DJTex Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/24/10
Amigo,

You been holding out on me!! Those pics are better (or at least as good) as the one you sent me!

Great photos and excellent write up of a fantastic story!

That's absolutely the biggest brute of a 7 point I've ever seen...Talk about a huge frame, and a beautiful deer.

Congrats to y'all and especially the ladies! I know big brother would have loved to bust that bruiser, but it says a lot that he is tickled to death for his little sister.

Now if Mama can just school y'all on rattling and getting one to stop long enough for a shot, you'll be all set...grin!

BTW, talked to Doc and he is ready to go if you want him to - left you a message today about it.

Congrats again!! Looking forward to seeing y'all in a few weeks.

DJ
Posted By: amigo Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/24/10
Guys, Thanks for all the kind comments. The girl is still riding high. Wednesday evening she busted a 5 point while in a blind with me and her little sister. He was'nt much for pic opportunities and it was after dark when we got out of the blind. However, she was determined to field dress him herself. So with coaching from big brother, they both made a fine job of it. I think she was wearing her hunting boots that evening too.
Clark, I hope you can get back home soon. Good luck in the woods.

DJ, I think your right on the rattling lessons. I've had some offers from a few hunters to hire her for a guide. I got your message and tried to return your call, but I will catch up with you maybe today.
Thanks again,
Amigo
Just looked in and WOW!! Great buck, lovely young lady and I suspect you wife has a footlocker full of teases for you after that one!!!! Lucky man you are!!
Congratulations to your daughter on a GREAT buck! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.
That's pretty cool. Wondering what they need you for Pard..?

To get 133" out of a 4x3 is really something.

ummmm..ummmmm.....wow. I would love to kill that deer.
Very nice buck congrats
At 10 years old - the experiences hunting wouldn't be all that much.

Letting a 10 year old go out hunting with a gun by themselves would be almost criminal where I come from..

Congratulations on the nice deer.

You can't really say though that you hunted that deer - technically all you did was let her shoot it.
I'm thinking Douchebeer's mom and dad didn't like him very much.

Good call on their part..
Never mind Douchebeer thats a great deer for your daughter. I would be VERY HAPPY to see a kid or my dad kill a deer like that .
Fantastic! That is one of the coolest stories I have ever heard. Thank you for posting. Thumbs up from Oklahoma.

Joseph
That is an awesome buck, amigo! If your daughter keeps shooting hawgs like that, you are going to owe the taxidermist some serious cash! grin
Posted By: tx270 Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/26/10
Thats great stuff amigo!

Helluva deer too!

Bill
Thats an awesome buck! Love the pants tucked in the boots!!
Way to go. Now that little gal wants to hunt so Dad get her out there every chance you can. Super story and pix. PH
haha -- That's a cool story, congrats to your daughter.
Posted By: amigo Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/28/10
Guys, your generosity is much appreciated. The cape and horns go to the taxidermist tomorrow. Hopefully, this evening the boy and I can get a chance to hunt together and see if he can bag one.
Good hunting,
Amigo
Yer the cruckin fiminal.....
That's the difference in being raised right and worryin about bein pc.....
CONGRATS to both ladies...specially the younger one....Mom did good too....

George
Amigo---Hope you and the boy get a biggun....

George
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
At 10 years old - the experiences hunting wouldn't be all that much.

Letting a 10 year old go out hunting with a gun by themselves would be almost criminal where I come from..

Congratulations on the nice deer.

You can't really say though that you hunted that deer - technically all you did was let her shoot it.

Do you get enjoyment out of putting down children's accomplishments?

And I bet that little girl has more gun safety practices and experience then most men.

Opinions are like belly buttons everyone has one and yours stinks.
Posted By: Winnie Re: 10 year old bags big 7point - 12/28/10
That is a deer to be put on the wall.

Very nice

And to duquensequeer

Shut the [bleep] up.

Thank you that is all
That is awesome!!! Congrats to the young hunter!
Awesome buck, congratulations to your daughter, well done, you probably have a hunter for life now, good stuff.
© 24hourcampfire