Home
I was gawking at some guns the other day at the the local Cabela's and got to handel a Remington 750 carbine. I fell in love with the looks of it and it felt great to handel. Its balance was terrific. I need anouther deer rifle like I need a third leg, but this one really caught my eye and made me think I need to research it.

Anyone here have one, or had one? Anyone here fired one and have an opinion on how it operates. Any feeding problems, or other issues anyone has noticed?
What I remember is the old 742 Woodsmaster being dubbed the 742 JamMaster. I'm sure they have been improved since then.
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/remingtonwood_052207/index.html

I'm sure that after 50+ years that they have changed the design and that the older parts that were known to fail has been replaced with a newer version that will give you many years of faithful service.
I would not expect it to be a tack driver, but a good clean reliable firearm.
I would not shoot hand loads in it unless you keep the powder down to factory duplicate loads.
That was the problem with most of the 742 was that when the action cycled too fast, it accelerated the wear and when it wore out - it did not function properly.
I would not expect it to be a cheap replacement for a machine gun either. It is just a semi auto sporting rifle.
I ran into one in 35 Whelen several years ago and responded in a similar way, and bought it. I have now put lots of ammo down the tube & been on several hunts with it. It has not disappointed me in any way. It functions reliably with my handloads, looks good, and gets the job done every time.
If you mean the Remington 760 or the Remington 742 by all means forget about it and pass them up. Those guns are nothing but trouble. They self destruct and wear themselves out in no time.
I think it's about the only Remington that is junk.
I've always been a sort of Remington Guy. Bought a 742 Carbine once in an 06. O.K.gun, but a bit heavy for me. Looked into the gunroom once, and all of the bolts and levers had isolated themselves in a corner. Must be They didn't want to catch any viruses. Had to get it out of the house before I had a coup. So I sold it to a good Friend - Cheap.
sick
Originally Posted by Taconic11
I've always been a sort of Remington Guy. Bought a 742 Carbine once in an 06. O.K.gun, but a bit heavy for me. Looked into the gun room once, and all of the bolts and levers had isolated themselves in a corner. Must be They didn't want to catch any viruses. Had to get it out of the house before I had a coup. So I sold it to a good Friend - Cheap.

If you find anymore of them that you want to sell cheap - send them my way.

I only have to lament over my next door neighbor who died today and did not have a will and owned two cherry 760 Gamemasters - a .270 and a .30/06 BDL with Redfield Widefield scopes and a 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge.
I think the 742 & 740 reputation hurt the later 7400 and now the 750. Maybe they got it right this time, but I would go for browning BAR at the price they want for 750's. They are nice looking though. I think the bias against them is the reason remington has dozens of variations of the 700 now and only one auto.

I inherited my dad's 742 3006 and still hesitate to take it to the woods because I remember seeing the occasional jam and my dad telling me "buy a bolt action - bolt actions don't jam". I may need to give it to a nephew...
Well, the don't jam on the first shot...make that one count. smile

I wouldn't mind a 742 for setimental reasons. I didn't mind the 7400 I had either.

I'd buy a 750 if they didn't cost so much for what you get. I'm tempeted by a .35W that I see from time to time.
Originally Posted by tzone
Well, the don't jam on the first shot...make that one count. smile

I remember seeing the last shot my dad made with that gun where the deer was running off and his rifle was jammed up solid with no chance for a second shot. Eventually we worked it loose at home and I took the rifle in to a gunsmith to have it worked over as a fathers day gift. $70, a new spring, some gunsmith commentary about the mickey mouse designs on 742's & 760s (I like this gunsmith since he is honest on what to buy or avoid... ), and I gave it back to my dad.

It was wasted money because my dad bought a sako bolt action for the next fall.

(at least my 742 has a new spring!)

Originally Posted by ingwe
sick

Well said, Poobah, well said indeed.
I dont know anything about the 750 rifle but the 740 and 742 were the predominant rifles in the deer camps where I grew up.I saw some jam and have seen some that were so full of debris and wd-40 that they jammed all the time. I have also seen a lot of them that did just what they were supposed to do .
Inevitably on rifles that were kept reasonably clean that had problems the cause was a bad magazine.
are they as rugged as a good bolt ? NO but for the average deer hunter that will take the time to clean them occasionaly and keep the magazine clean they work just fine.
Also that old saw about autos being inacurate is unfounded.I have seen a lot of them that would shoot into an 1 1/2 or less at a hundred which is more than good enough for deer hunting .
Buying a new one should present no problems at all however and if you like the looks and want the semi-auto capability then buy it . If you have any problems then try changing magazines and if that doesn,t solve the problem then send it back to Remington and have them fix it.
Originally Posted by Redbone311
If you mean the Remington 760 or the Remington 742 by all means forget about it and pass them up. Those guns are nothing but trouble. They self destruct and wear themselves out in no time.
I think it's about the only Remington that is junk.

FWIW, the 760 is the early version of the 7600. Both are pumps. Personally, we've had no issues with the 740/742/7400s in the family. It's folly, though, to mix up the pumps reputation with the semis.

I'll take my pumps over the semis, though.

George
The 740/742/7400/760/7600 magazines are the downfall being a thin stamping that flex & bend easy. My 760 magazine gave me troubles until careful vice squeezing & hammer taps got it to work (my gunsmith did the vice squeezing while grumbling about mickey mouse designs...)

I know the old hunters in our group etched their names in their magazines to keep them from being mixed up because getting a good one was like finding a good wife and training her properly! Well maybe the magazines were more compliant...
I own a 742 that is 40yrs old and I can't remember it ever jamming. My Dad bought it in 6mm Rem. for us Boys to hunt with. Back then it would shoot a 2" Group at a 100yds. Now it shoots about double that and the Trigger is just awful,due to much neglect.
Originally Posted by humdinger
I think the 742 & 740 reputation hurt the later 7400 and now the 750. Maybe they got it right this time, but I would go for browning BAR at the price they want for 750's. They are nice looking though. I think the bias against them is the reason remington has dozens of variations of the 700 now and only one auto.

I have a 750Carbine in 308 and it is an excellent gun except for the gritty lousy trigger. I have over 700rounds thru it with no problems at all. It shoots into about 1.25-1.5" with it's favorite deer load.

As a matter of fact the Remington 750 is a much better action that the Browning BAR. The gas port location and angle allow the remington to shoot ANY factory ammo including the Hornady Light Magnum ammo. BARs are noted for bending and breaking things internally when feed a steady diet of slow burning powders under heavy bullets. I've heard of more than a few BAR owners who have broken guns after 300-500rds. Internally the 750 is better designed to deal with the bolt velocities generated by slow burning powders.
The biggest problem with automatics tend to be with owners who do not know how to properly clean or maintain them. There is little reason that they cannot be as reliable as any other actions, but do require more attention to cleaning & lube choices. WD40????
Most of the conplaints I have heard, or read, about the 750 are hearsay, or worse.
They might not be perfect, but they are pretty damn good.
Semi-Autos can be reliable with proper ammo and cleaning but a few other things need to be kept in mind.

Every semi-auto outside the 750 can be damaged if people who handload ammo use the wrong powders. Just like the M1 Garand needs to be shot with fast to medium burn rate powders, the Browning BAR, Remington 742 and 7400, Winchester 100, Benilli/Winchester R-1 will suffer battering and damage to the bolt rails and operating rods if loaded with slow burning powders.
About three years ago I bought a 750 carbine in .308 and it was the single worst experience buying a firearm in my life. I usually only buy one new rifle a year, so a lot of research and thought goes into it. That year I settled on the 750 carbine-thats where the trouble started. I lived the looks and feel of the rifle, it pointed naturally and came to the shoulder quick. Before I ever shot it I disassembled the major components, degreased everything, and lightly lubed it all with g-96, and reassembled. Now it was off to the range. If I remember right I had 5 different factory 150-165-and 180 loads. Every single load jammed. Basically this was the problem-with 4 rounds loaded in the magazine and one in the chamber, first shot-good,second shot-good,-third shot, the bolt has slammed into the side of the cartridge,denting it. It acted as though the magazine was too high up into the reciever. Long story short, the gun went back to the Remington factory four times over the next year, and was never repaired correctly. It was absolutely the worst customer service I have ever seen. On the fourth trip there the factory said there was nothing wrong with the gun, it must be something that I was doing.I have a friend who owns a gunshop and we spent an afternoon trying different magazine latches and different magazines in it, and finally came up with a combo where it would shoot reliably. I sold it soon after. I really wanted to like that rifle, but I won't have an unreliable gun. It also soured me on Remington in general, that gun should have never left the factory in that condition, much less left it four times for repair and still didn't function properly. I will be very cautious about Remington in the future. Too bad, they used to be the industry standard.
Geez, whatever you do, don't tell Swampy....
Originally Posted by ingwe
sick

Hear me, hear me.

The Grand, exalted Poobah, leader in spirits of the hark of Turd, Keeper of the Knowledge Seal, Guardian of the Shrine of Loons, has spoken -

and does not know, what the heck he is talking about.

Let there be pictures - showing him with a 750 Woodsmaster in the woods, at the range, dare I say - with a killed animal?

The Remington 750 Woodsmaster Carbine is the best in the world, the whole world, you hear, deer rifle -

as long as you keep the chamber clean clean clean clean.

This opine from having used the synthetic .30-06 a bunch - and having had it jam from my usual Marlin cleaning regime -

wipe it once at Christmas.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

laugh

Originally Posted by cmg

The Grand, exalted Poobah, leader in spirits of the hark of Turd, Keeper of the Knowledge Seal, Guardian of the Shrine of Loons, has spoken -

and does not know, what the heck he is talking about.

The Remington 750 Woodsmaster Carbine is the best in the world, the whole world, you hear, deer rifle -

I am shocked...SHOCKED I say...that you would denigrate the Poobah! shocked

You muddy the waters of understanding with pictures and actual experience...

This is not the way..

I have never hunted with a 750 or a 760...I am therefore eminently qualified to espouse highly valued and sought after opinions...

THIS is the way of the 'fire...

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh

Oh, and BTW The way it goes, the rifle is the best in the WORLD....See Swampman 101.... wink
why don't you get the 7600 Pump carbine? Its probably just as fast for a second shot and 100 quadgigazillion times more reliable...

once that jam master chamber gets a light coat of rust in it, you can never never ever ever get it completely smooth again (on a molecular level)....3 cents worth of hard chrome in the chamber or maybe even gasp NITRITED (the fire taught me that was good) and the rifle could be reasonable POS instead of a total POS.
Someone told me that the 308s were more reliable than the 30-06s. I've owned four Remington Semi-Auto 30-06s and they all jammed. I always liked the way they looked and handled but I just couldn't depend on them for a follow up shot back when we dog hunted.
Two things. I remember a smith on here say he never saw a Remington semiauto come that was properly cleaned or lubed. One other said the magazine lip on the prior models simply needed a slightly bend outward to function. The new ones- needed a slight bend in. Sounds crazy my telling it ut he seemed to know his stuff and I will see if I can find a link to that for you. I would not hesitate. Seems this last year a number of the 7400's showed up. Very soft shooters and fun.
Originally Posted by miguel
About three years ago I bought a 750 carbine in .308 and it was the single worst experience buying a firearm in my life. I usually only buy one new rifle a year, so a lot of research and thought goes into it. That year I settled on the 750 carbine-thats where the trouble started. I lived the looks and feel of the rifle, it pointed naturally and came to the shoulder quick. Before I ever shot it I disassembled the major components, degreased everything, and lightly lubed it all with g-96, and reassembled. Now it was off to the range. If I remember right I had 5 different factory 150-165-and 180 loads. Every single load jammed. Basically this was the problem-with 4 rounds loaded in the magazine and one in the chamber, first shot-good,second shot-good,-third shot, the bolt has slammed into the side of the cartridge,denting it. It acted as though the magazine was too high up into the reciever. Long story short, the gun went back to the Remington factory four times over the next year, and was never repaired correctly. It was absolutely the worst customer service I have ever seen. On the fourth trip there the factory said there was nothing wrong with the gun, it must be something that I was doing.I have a friend who owns a gunshop and we spent an afternoon trying different magazine latches and different magazines in it, and finally came up with a combo where it would shoot reliably. I sold it soon after. I really wanted to like that rifle, but I won't have an unreliable gun. It also soured me on Remington in general, that gun should have never left the factory in that condition, much less left it four times for repair and still didn't function properly. I will be very cautious about Remington in the future. Too bad, they used to be the industry standard.

Sounds like you messed the gun up. Why would you pull apart a brand new rifle before even shooting it? I've shot nothing but handloads thru my 750 308carbine since I bought it and it has done nothing but go bang.

I had the trigger cleaned up and now it's about 4 pounds with no creep or grit to it. My only complaint with the gun is the trigger. I don't think it's asking too much to have a decent trigger in a $700 gun regardless of the action style.

Thank's all who responded. Some good pro and con debate, which is exactly what I was looking for.

jimmyp I'd like a 7600 carbine, but currently the only one Remington lists has synthetic stocks and only in 30/06. I prefer wood stocks and want one in .308.
"sounds like you messed the gun up" and "why would you pull apart a brand new rifle before even shooting it?"First of all I can assure you that I didn't mess the gun up. I have owned at least 8 Remington autoloading rifles, 740's, 742's, and 7400's. I have completly stripped plenty of Remingtons,cleaned them and re assembled them, "without screwing them up."I even have a printed takedown guide to look at. As to why I would disassemble, degrease,clean,and lube a new rifle, it should be standard practice for anyone using a rifle new to them, whether its from the factory or a used gun. Who knows whats inside there,it could even be dangerous to shoot. Four or five years ago I took devivery of a brand new Remington LSS Mountain Rifle, before I shot it I prepared to give it a good cleaning and lube. I discovered the barrel was totally obstructed with grease, right from the factory, a brand new gun. And by the way, if "I messed it up" how come the whiz kids at the Remington factory couldn't figure out what I had done so wrong? Bottom line, Remington's quality and control stinks, and their customer service is non-existant. Don't accuse me of not knowing my stuff, trying to protect yet an other great American company that's slipping away.
Originally Posted by Taconic11
So I sold it to a good Friend - Cheap.

Does he still talk to you? I mean, if you'll do that to a friend....... grin

was considering buying a 750 in .308 for $450 used.

Google reviews on the gun and this thread popped up.

After reading, I'm going to pass on that gun.
There is a reason Remington discontinued the 750. Like it's predecessors - 740, 742 & 7400 they could never get a semi right. BAR is a MUCH better rifle.
I responded to the OP 7 years ago with favorable comments about the 750 in 35 Whelen that I had been using. Rifle is still reliable with handloads, 250 gr Partitions at a bit under 2500fps. My son in law has taken deer with it in each of the last 2 seasons. I still think it is 1 of the nicer looking factory rifles ever offered, and this one has proven to be a good one over nearly a decade.
Also agree that the BAR is a fine firearm.
Having said that, I have gone kinda retro and have been using an old Savage 1899 in 300 Savage the last couple of years.
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
[quote=humdinger]
I have a 750Carbine in 308 and it is an excellent gun except for the gritty lousy trigger.

Bandit, I don't mean to hijack this thread but you might want to contact Redneck on here about that trigger. He did a nice job on the trigger on my 7600. All I had to send him was the trigger assembly. Fair price and fast turnaround.

Holy snappin' arseholes Margaret! I just realized this thread is 7 years old!
For God's sake,Gladys, put on your glasses!!
© 24hourcampfire