Home
Posted By: Slidellkid 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/07/11
I recently picked up a Kimber 84 Select in .260 Remington. I've been shooting the 140's in my .264 for years but will probably go 130 or lower in the 260. What bullets have given you the best performance of deer? I prefer an exit hole, but also like them on the ground pretty quick. I am thinking the 130 grain Accubond or the 120 grain ballistic tip might work well. Might even try the 100 grain TTSX. Anybody use the 100 grain partitions or ballistic tips? I appreciate hearing your experiences with the 260 or its twin the 6.5x55. Thanks!
I think they'd all work beautifully.

I have a .260 which just happens to LOVE the 120gr TSX. That's fine by me, and it's what I'll shoot for all game from pronghorn and deer to elk, moose and black bear.

Mine has a 1:9" twist, so 130gr is about as large as I'll go. To be honest, I'm glad it likes the TSX because IMO, that makes a 1:9"-twisted .260 viable on bigger game.

However, if it liked a 100gr or 120gr BT, the 100gr TTSX or the 130gr AB, I'd run those and be done with it.

Use what it likes. All will take deer cleanly if you do your part.
Thanks
Posted By: mathman Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/07/11
The 120 Ballistic Tip and 125 Partition let the air right out of them.
I've used the 130 AB on a deer. It worked very well. Plus my sub 6 pund carbon barreled 260 shoots them consitantly under 1/2 moa with a stout load of h4350.

Bb
Posted By: LBP Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/07/11
Originally Posted by mathman
The 120 Ballistic Tip and 125 Partition let the air right out of them.

All I've used...
For me, the 100 grain Partitions have proven to be fast, tough, and accurate, just the things that I strive for.

JEff
Jeff,

How have your blood trails been with the 100 grain partitions?
Posted By: fyshbum Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/07/11
I can help Jeff with that one. Short. I have gotten exits on all three deer shot with the 100 partitions. All three dropped within twenty yards, one DRT.
Having said that the "one bullet" would be the 125 gr partition.
Well fyshbum, I've never been a partition man, but that sounds pretty good.
I was thinking that all the whitetails that I've shot with 100 grain Partitions have gone from 0' to 60'. Those that were shot when they were unaware that I was in the neighborhood went down the quickest, with most being closer than 30' from the point of impact. Those that were on the move, kept moving, but not far.

My choice for an all-around bullet for the 260 would be the 129 grain Hornady or 130 garin AB.

JEff
Posted By: Seafire Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/07/11
Originally Posted by fyshbum
Having said that the "one bullet" would be the 125 gr partition.

I support this one...this will handily even deal with Elk..

haven't dealt with the 100 TTSX, but it is on my short list to try...

many bullets will work in a 260.. it is a very well balanced cartridge....doesn't need to be a premium bullet either...
A little something I've been thinking about recently.....

A friend of mine lives in the South and he and his family shoot a truckload of deer and hogs every year. Over the last couple of years, he's gone exclusively to the 120gr TSX from his various 7mm-08s.

He's sent me both pix and reports of how this seemingly "little" bullet absolutely destroys game animals and leaves him with less tracking than he's ever had. They're little freakin' lightning bolts!

His results are impressive. While I don't quite know how the 100gr 6.5mm TSX equates to the 120gr 7mm TSX, velocities and SDs are similar and I'm wondering if the two bullets would perform just about the same.

If they do, it would be a terrific choice.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/07/11
MV for a 100 grain bullet out of my 22 inch barrel Rugers is 3350 fps..add another 100 fps for the MV out of the 26 inch barrels..

I am sure a 100 grain TSX will reach MV's close to that... even minus a couple hundred fps, and you still have one wicked bullet traveling at some deadly speeds...
Seafire,

Are you getting 3350 with a 100 grain pill out of a .260? I didn't know they could be loaded that quick. I bet a 100 grain ballistic tip at that speed through the ribs would be devastating.
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I bet a 100 grain ballistic tip at that speed through the ribs would be devastating.

Can you say, Jello? laugh
Here's a 100 grain Ballistic Tip through the ribs:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Or through the neck if you prefer:

[Linked Image]
But you can always balance their heads back on.
[Linked Image]
I have only killed one deer with my 260, I used a 140 partition and it worked really well. I don't quite get why some like a lighter bullet for caliber. what is the gain in using a 100 grain 260 bullet over a 100 grain 243? same case, so why not go bigger
Posted By: basdjs Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/07/11
I shoot the 120 ballistic tips in my Encore. Very accurate and have yet to have a deer go more than 25 yds.
Maybe because it is EASY to get 3200 fps with a 100 grain bullet out of a 22" 260, but IMPOSSIBLE to do so with a 243 at equal pressures.

JEff
I don't have any problems using the 140's, in fact, it's what I have used in my .264 for 25 years, but now that I have the .260 I will probably use the 120's or lighter just to keep the velocity up. Nothing wrong with a 140 at 2700fps but I think I will like the 120's at 2900 even better. I'll have to experiment with the 100 grain ballistic tips to see how they perform on deer but Exbiologist has me thinking they will work just fine and at 3200 fps they should be pretty darn flat.
The 100 grain Partition gives me the balance of speed, penetration, and accuracy that I'm looking for in the 260 deer bullet.

JEff
Or load em in your .264 at 3600-3700ish wink
Exbiologist, I will have to give that a try! That has got to be tough on the ribs!! I'm thinking I could turn my .264 mag into an impressive bean field rifle shooting either ther 100 grain ballistic tips or partitions.
Exbiologist, I will have to give that a try! That has got to be tough on the ribs!! I'm thinking I could turn my .264 mag into an impressive bean field rifle shooting either ther 100 grain ballistic tips or partitions.

Dude - You could turn your .260 into an impressive beanfield rifle using 100r BTs or TTSXs. You could turn that .264 Win Mag into a screamin' demon!
they tend to be pretty accurate too.
[Linked Image]
I wouldn't hesitate to use them on Southern deer, especially at .260 velocities. But that Partition or 100 grain TTSX might ease any fears you may have about core slippage or lack of penetration/margin for error/hitting shoulder bones.
ExBiologist,

NICE!!!!

From a current Biologist.

FB
Slidellkid: I have killed several Buck Antelope and one Deer with the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips fired from my 260 Remington.
These bullets were VERY lethal on the aforementioned animals as all were one shot kills.
This is also an excellent fast and flat flying Coyote bullet - although it is NOT fur friendly.
Best of luck with your 260.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Thanks Varmit Guy! I look forward to this coming season and will give some of those 100's a try. Did you get exits on most of your animals? What about those that are shot up close and personal...exits on the high impact shots too?
Just some data on relative bullet performance with some 6.5s (and others in this test):

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3165660/1

BC Steve did something similar with just 6.5s and it was a lot more comprehensive, but I don't have a link to his test.

here's BCSteve's update, including a link to the older test
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...ge_264_bullet_test_Part_Deux#Post4783400
A Core-Lokt is plenty for deer.
You are right Swampman, a Core-Lokt is a great deer bullet. My brother shoots the 140's in his 7mm-08 and won't shoot anything else. I sure wish Remington would load the 120's in the .260 as I think that would be a grand bullet for deer.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/08/11
I have three 6.5x55's (all 1 in 8" twist) with which I primarily hunt deer and hogs. The following bullets from L to R have all worked well: 120gr NBT, 120gr TSX, 125gr NPT, 140gr NPT, 140gr Berger VLD and 140gr SGK. Hogs have been a convenient test medium since they are in season all year. Although none of the 6 have failed me, I find myself using the 125gr NPT's and 120gr TSX's most.....simply outstanding performance! I've yet to shoot a hog with the NBT or SGK, but they work well on deer.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: slg888 Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/08/11
130gr Berger VLD's out of my .260rem

[Linked Image]
I've only shot a few deer (100# WTs) with a .260 but a 140gr Core Lokt has worked great. And is as accurate as any others I have tried.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/08/11
so why change from a 140? I have been using mild loads and 140 Sierras with the results you are asking about. I don't put much stock in DRT (Dead Right There) stats on deer but this combo has my highest per cents to date -of any caliber I have. All had perfect exits. I am loading 120 nosler BT's ( just cuz I reload and want to mess around) but looking at some of the messy exits am kind of turned off. I perfer a nice quarter size hole on the way out and the 140 give me that.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/08/11
MCT3- here is a 140 Sierra Gameking exit on a pig at about 100 yds. in case you are wondering. Hard not to like them at modest loads.
[Linked Image] My Browning 260 in background.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/09/11
Originally Posted by kenjs1
MCT3- here is a 140 Sierra Gameking exit on a pig at about 100 yds. in case you are wondering. Hard not to like them at modest loads.
[Linked Image] My Browning 260 in background.

Thanks for the pic....impressive. I agree the 140's perform well and with the high SD of the .264 bullets, modest velocity is all that is needed within reasonable distances. The 140gr SGK is very accurate in 2 of my rifles and I think I will introduce one to my next hog wink
Posted By: BCSteve Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/09/11
The last three mulies I've shot with my .260 have been with 120gr TSX (2) and 120gr TTSX (1). All three went straight down.
Posted By: AJD Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/09/11
You are right Swampman, a Core-Lokt is a great deer bullet. My brother shoots the 140's in his 7mm-08 and won't shoot anything else. I sure wish Remington would load the 120's in the .260 as I think that would be a grand bullet for deer.

Remington does or did load a 120 in the 260. It wasn't a core-lokt.

In my 260's it wasn't as accurate as the Federal 120.

I like the 120NBT and it puts them on the ground in short order.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/09/11
Has anybody tried the 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter? I stumbled into a pretty good deal on a couple hundred of them awhile ago, and they shoot really well in my 260. Anybody put one into a deer?
Posted By: LBP Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/09/11
I've used lots of Pro Hunters in 25 caliber and they kill like lightning. I'm sure the 6.5's would do the same...
Posted By: Seafire Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/09/11
Seafire,

Are you getting 3350 with a 100 grain pill out of a .260? I didn't know they could be loaded that quick. I bet a 100 grain ballistic tip at that speed through the ribs would be devastating.

Yeah,

I've taken several deer with that combo at 300 plus yards..
even at that distance, the 100 grain Ballistic tip left about 15lbs of blood shot meat on the oft side shoulder..

each deer was DRT, but I don't recommend that bullet on MVs over 2600 fps anymore...

I have about 300 Nosler 105 grain SMP partitions, that were factory seconds, from some Euro contract overrun...I use those at 3350 fps out of my Rugers.

work up, and I can only verify it being safe in my rifle, but it is not much more than some load data posted with this powder...my load is 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 over a large rifle primer and a 100 grainer seated out to touch the lands, or be magazine length...

a 100 grain Ballistic tip over 30 grains of RL 7 is also a darn good combo for ranges under 250 yds.. giving an Mv of 2600 fps...same with a 120 grain ballistic tip if hunting woods ranges, or where shots are under 250 yds...

addendum:

here the results of a 175lb Blacktail buck meeting a 100 grain Ballistic tip at 125 yds, that left the Muzzle at 3350 fps out of a Ruger 77 Mk 2..

[Linked Image]
That is pretty impressive Seafire. Did the 100 grain ballistic tips always provide an exit for you?
As I recall, a few years back, the NBT's had a speed limit around 3K. I never had a problem with bloodshot meat with the 120, but I always put em behind the shoulder.

I don't get the 130NAB in the 260class, IMO at the speeds they run (the 130) you don't need an accubond.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/09/11
AJD- I used to be hung up on the 3000fps mark, now I avoid it and am much happier. It is completely unnecessary for my hunting- not knocking anyone else's idea of what they need. If I try the 120 NBT on deer they will not be driven with max loads and will certainly try to put some into pigs first. The 120 Sierra reviews I saw were less enthusiastic for deer. Sierra's have a rep for being soft and that is why I love a high sd 140 at modest speed, they open up well but stay together and penetrate -all without using a lot of powder. Elkchsr - Remington makes a 120 accutip with which I have shot perhaps my smallest one hole group ever. I had just put on the B and C stock for that Browning and fired three into a tiny single hole at 100 yds. I thought I completely missed and was emabarrassed because of folks watching me. when I pulled I returned with the target I had offers to buy that rifle right there. Probably happiest range day of my life. Still, just felt better using the 140 gamekings on deer.
kenjs1-
My first 260 (700 MR) liked the Rem 140CL best, go figure. At the time it was the only loaded ammo I could find on the shelves.

But, I liked the flatter trajectory, recoil level, and the sound of the crack of the shot, of the 120 more better and I have used the 120 since.....IMO a 120 and a 260 go together like bread and butter....... whistle
I used the 120 AccuTip factory load on a couple of deer. It performed very well. About 1.5" hole all the way through, exited.

Also, the most accurate load I've run in my 260s.
my 264 likes 129 grain Hornaday's
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/09/11
those 129 Hornadys are like the benchmark bullet for this caliber aren't they. AJD- I like the idea of choosing a bullet based on the sound of the 'crack' it makes. LOL. I love an honest answer. I have favorites for odd reasons too. My A-bolts shoots 140's just about an inch so fine for deer -go figure as it has a slower 1-10" twist....but I like punching nicer groups in paper some times too. I think those Accutips are Hornady SST's.
Originally Posted by AJD
kenjs1-
My first 260 (700 MR) liked the Rem 140CL best, go figure. At the time it was the only loaded ammo I could find on the shelves.

But, I liked the flatter trajectory, recoil level, and the sound of the crack of the shot, of the 120 more better and I have used the 120 since.....IMO a 120 and a 260 go together like bread and butter....... whistle

My sentiments, exactly.

And if you think you need maximum penetration, simply load the 120gr TSX and get it.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I used the 120 AccuTip factory load on a couple of deer. It performed very well. About 1.5" hole all the way through, exited.

Also, the most accurate load I've run in my 260s.

have you chronographed those loads?
Posted By: Seafire Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/09/11
That is pretty impressive Seafire. Did the 100 grain ballistic tips always provide an exit for you?

Not always...If you want an exit with a Ballistic Tip, you need to slow it down to about 2400 fps, MV...allowing it to open up less violently...

I haven't tried them, but the Accubond is as accurate as the Ballistic tip, with the penetration capability of the Partition... they make it in 130 grain and 140 grains...

I'd like to see a 110 grain Accubond myself...

The Barnes offering will also penetrate right thru..

point is that the recoil on the 260 is light enough, especially with 100 grainers, that I have always seen the bullet strike the deer thru the scope... its low enough that I don't loose site picture on 4 power, which is usually where I keep the Leupold set at ( 3 x 9 )
Originally Posted by Seafire

I'd like to see a 110 grain Accubond myself...

I'm thinking that one would be a better getter!

The 130NAB are very accurate in my Ruger MKII 260.

I know a lot of folks like the 120 grn ballistic tips, but I've had such bad results with them in the .260, I simply have zero faith in them now, and refuse to use them ever again.

3 years ago, my wife and I gave them a try in the Kimber .260. Federal premium factory loads. Out of the 6 deer we shot with them,mostly does, only one fell short of 100 yrds from where it was shot.
Nearly all were broadside shots from 70-200 yards. Some were high shoulder, and a couple were just behind the dhoulder blade.
The BT also accounted for the ONLY deer I've lost in 40+ years of hunting, and several 100 deer killed.

I've since gone back to the 120 grn TSX. My wife and I have killed around 20+ deer with the .260 and 120 grn TSX, and it's worked perfectly every single time. We've had 100% complete pass thrus, out to 340 yards, which is the longest shot we have on our property. We've shot just about any angle you can think of, except the "Texas heart shot". Full facing, quartering away, broadside, it simply works, and does it's job to perfection.
Exits are usually about the size of a silver dollar, and the innards are usually mush.
Alot of it has to do with what you have confidence and faith in.
I KNOW, when I settle the cross hairs on a annimal with the TSX in the chamber, it's dead, and it ain't going anywhere. There's no need for me to look for anything different.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The only rifle that I don't rely on TSX's in for deer and hogs is my Swede with 120Speer Hot-Cors... I've never recovered one and nothing went more than 5 steps... That bullet shoots good too...
Posted By: AJD Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/10/11
As an aside, I was looking over Nosler's site and I see the speed limit on the BT's is now 3.2K which is higher than I remembered....
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/10/11
BrotherBart- those speers will likely be the next bullet I try. What rifle and what load are you using?
be aware: Speer is in the process of discontinuing their Hot Core line of bullets and replacing them with "Deep Curls"
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 260 Remington Deer Bullets - 03/10/11
CRAPPPPP. It looks like only available in 140 grain. And the search continues....
I used the 140 Speer Hot Cores in my .264 and never recovered one. Very impressive bullets. I will have to see if I can pick up some 120's before they discontinue them.
© 24hourcampfire