Home
Posted By: jerry46 Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
I have hunted deer for a good many years, but always in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. I use either a .308 or a .270. This year my son and I are going to Wisconsin deer hunting and will be taking our .270s. I keep hearing how these Wisconsin deer are as big as the ones in Saskatchewan. We usually use Remington core-lokts, me using 130s and my son using 150s. What bullets would you recommend we use in Wisconsin? Neither of us reload, so it will have to be ammunition off the store shelves.
Posted By: digger44 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
both of those listed (270/130 and 150) will do just fine. I doubt you will run into a sask buck here. Typical full grown buck here will weigh 210(ish) after being gutted. Does will get up to about 170.
what part of the state will you be hunting ?
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
I have shot quite a few WI deer. None have been as big as the one's in MN. They're not bullet proof in the least.

Take your .270's or .308's and shoot the heck out of the core-lokts, or whatever other factory ammo you want.

Every WI deer I've ever killed was with a core-lokt. The fastest kill of any deer i've had was in WI with 130gr core-lokt from a .270 Win.

have fun.
Originally Posted by digger44
both of those listed (270/130 and 150) will do just fine. I doubt you will run into a sask buck here. Typical full grown buck here will weigh 210(ish) after being gutted. Does will get up to about 170.

Where the heck do you hunt where the typical WI buck is 210 gutted? We hunt in norther Price and Ashland Co. Of the dozens of bucks we've shot in the last 20 years, 1 was over 200# dressed.
I hunt near Mauston. Majority of the bucks we see are 150 to 180. But those are normally not over 2 to 3 yrs old. You get a 5 or 6 yr old and it would almost for certain go over 200. I did say FULL GROWN in the earlier post, and that should be the largest the OP should expect to see, rather than the 250 or 300's of Canada. This one was 208.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
Jerry,
C'mon on up - the Core-Lokts are a fine choice for any whitetail we've got.

And, FWIW, we get some nice deer but they pale in comparison to the Canadian strain in terms of body size.

What part of the state will you be hunting?

[Linked Image]

Digger, went the "kosher" route on that one I see. grin
haha. not kosher venison here but
that was the exit side and was trimmed to get rid of gut mess for the pic.
Posted By: schmalts Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
Any .270 130 grain or better will do just fine. My choice for WI is 130 grain nosler accubonds.
Most shots in WI woodlands are well under 100 yards so in most cases the bullet will be zipping along at high speed and carry a lot of energy still. My 130's make one heck of a hole at 75 yards in any deer
Posted By: janesvillejohn Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
Originally Posted by jerry46
I have hunted deer for a good many years, but always in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. I use either a .308 or a .270. This year my son and I are going to Wisconsin deer hunting and will be taking our .270s. I keep hearing how these Wisconsin deer are as big as the ones in Saskatchewan. We usually use Remington core-lokts, me using 130s and my son using 150s. What bullets would you recommend we use in Wisconsin? Neither of us reload, so it will have to be ammunition off the store shelves.
I use 130's for my 270, or 150's for my 308. May go up to 165's as they seem to tear up less meat. 270's, 30-06 and 308's are the most used up ammo at most of the stores around here. With the exception of 30-30's.
Posted By: jerry46 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
We will be hunting in Buffalo County. I am really looking forward to this. By the sounds of it, you guys use the same thing we use in West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I have tried premium ammo over the years, but they never seemed to put down deer any better than core-lokts. I guess that is what we will go with. Thanks!!
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
Calling BS here-average weight 210 gutted? Dude, you better check your scale, or quit shooting Old McDonald's cows!
You will probably have the time of your life hunting there. You have a true opportunity at a B&C buck there. Good luck and we expect pictures.
Posted By: navyman20 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
id say for WI the "average" for a mature deer is somewheres in the 180-200 lb range gutted...no diff than a mature deer where your coming from..of all the deer ive hunted and killed when i was living in wi(19 years there), none of them would have been "too big" for a .243 win...best of luck in buffalo county, should be a blast
Jerry-

Are you hunting with Tom Indrebo per chance?
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11
schmalts is a homo....

just kidding schmaltz smile
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Calling BS here-average weight 210 gutted? Dude, you better check your scale, or quit shooting Old McDonald's cows!

I didn't say average weight... you did.
I said typical FULL GROWN BUCK.
The scale was at the butchers and I doubt he would give me extra meat. Maybe those that shoot monster 150 pound deer need to realize that they aren't full-grown. And as long as Old McDonald's cows grow antlers and have white tails .... I'll continue to shoot them. crazy
Call BS if you like .. I don't really care. In our area we see 200#ers every year, especially if they are shot in bow season before rut.
In our area we see 200#ers every year, especially if they are shot in bow season before rut.

I concur. Mature deer in WI will generally be on the hefty side of 200lbs. prior to the rut. While that's a rather general statement, the fact of the matter is most people in WI wouldn't know a 200# animal if it ran them over because most people cannot lay off of the dinks. grin
not saying you don't get them. You said the typical buck you get is 210 gutted. "typical" or "average" pretty much the same thing.

I could win hudreds of dollars each year sitting at the feed mill in Butternut betting guys their, true, mature, trophy bucks DON'T weight 200#.

I watched a grown man throw a tantrum because his "230# buck" ONLY weighed 190# on the scale. It was a beautiful buck, a true trophy pushing 160", and this man was pissed because there's no way a deer like that can ONLY weigh 190#.

WI deer are decievig IMO...they are short in length, and height, but fat ( a lot like me). The big bucks I've shot in MN are long suckers, basketball playin' bucks. The largest buck our crew got in WI was a 168", 209#'er shot in the last week of October. I would have swore up and down it was a 225#+ deer, but when it was in the back of the truck it was short, but damn that thing was as big around as 55 gal. barrel.

This is the last I'll squawk on this tread about it.
Originally Posted by tzone
not saying you don't get them. You said the typical buck you get is 210 gutted. "typical" or "average" pretty much the same thing.

Tommy,
Just to clarify, I didn't say that. wink smile

I get a kick out of folks that think their 160# is 200# too. grin

And you're right, Northern MN has the Canadian strain of whitetails, they're far more sturdy than our northern deer.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/15/11

WI deer are decievig IMO...they are short in length, and height, but fat ( a lot like me). This is the last I'll squawk on this tread about it.

Tom,

I can't believe you just admitted that !

Paul
Originally Posted by SKane

Tommy,

I know...I used the "quick reply"

You probably don't know what a 200# buck looks like either. You just shoot them big Canuck bastards. laugh
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

WI deer are decievig IMO...they are short in length, and height, but fat ( a lot like me). This is the last I'll squawk on this tread about it.

Tom,

I can't believe you just admitted that !

Paul

Yeah, I prolly shouldn't have.

That Tink's 69 works a lot better than a guy would think. And fer Chrissakes....DON'T KEEP IT IN YOUR BACK POCKET!

grin
Posted By: jerry46 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/16/11
Jerry-

SKane- We are hunting with Tom Indrebo. That is good I hope....He seems like a pretty straight guy.

Jerry
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/16/11
Jerry-

SKane- We are hunting with Tom Indrebo. That is good I hope....He seems like a pretty straight guy.

Jerry

Oh...THAT'S good. No need to worry. He might even get you on a decent buck wink
Posted By: SKane Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/16/11
Jerry,
He's the guy that put Buffalo County on the map. You're in good hands.
Posted By: andrews1958 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/16/11
I hunted at my brother's farm about 30 miles west of Madison. Never seen more deer signs and big rubs. We hunted for a week and he got a 220 8 point and I got a 180lb one

Beautiful hardwoods, acorns and cornfields. Will return again this year
Posted By: SKane Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/16/11
That's some beautiful country and boasts some really good deer - can't imagine why you'd wanna go back. laugh
Posted By: DCPlumber Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/17/11
I used to live in Eau Claire, my great grandfather had a farm south of Gilmanton. We used to hunt there every year on opening weekend. This is back in the late 70's and early 80's. I don't now how it is now, but you could only use shotguns with slugs and it was buck or doe opening weekend. On a drive we used to flush out 1/2 dozen deer out of every valley. We always filled our tags. We ate lots of venison in those days. Great grandpa died in 1986 at the great old age of 96. His son in law had conned him into selling him the farm. No one else knew of it until it was too late. Haven't been back since his funeral. He's buried in Wuamandee. Beautiful country.

Back to deer. Ya, they had a reputation for being "corn fed" and big, but not as many were amazing like Iowa or MN deer, but they all tasted good. I used an Ithica 20 guage model 37 and shot every deer under 50 yards. Brings back memories.

Enjoy your hunt. Buffalo county is nothing like it used to be. Wealth and development has taken over like every other remote beautiful place in the state. Our deer camp fell apart. Now I hunt north by Hayward where deer aren't as plentiful. Shooting a doe should be criminal.

Ahhhh, the good old days.

Thanks for taking me back.
Posted By: SKane Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/17/11
DC,

Most of the deer in northern WI are "corn fed" too - a pile of yellow acorns can appear out of nowhere. laugh
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/17/11
I'd worry more about that G'damned earn a buck than I would about what it takes to put a buck down.
Posted By: EricM Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/18/11
Originally Posted by DCPlumber
I used to live in Eau Claire, my great grandfather had a farm south of Gilmanton. We used to hunt there every year on opening weekend. This is back in the late 70's and early 80's. I don't now how it is now, but you could only use shotguns with slugs and it was buck or doe opening weekend. On a drive we used to flush out 1/2 dozen deer out of every valley. We always filled our tags. We ate lots of venison in those days. Great grandpa died in 1986 at the great old age of 96. His son in law had conned him into selling him the farm. No one else knew of it until it was too late. Haven't been back since his funeral. He's buried in Wuamandee. Beautiful country.

Back to deer. Ya, they had a reputation for being "corn fed" and big, but not as many were amazing like Iowa or MN deer, but they all tasted good. I used an Ithica 20 guage model 37 and shot every deer under 50 yards. Brings back memories.

Enjoy your hunt. Buffalo county is nothing like it used to be. Wealth and development has taken over like every other remote beautiful place in the state. Our deer camp fell apart. Now I hunt north by Hayward where deer aren't as plentiful. Shooting a doe should be criminal.

Ahhhh, the good old days.

Thanks for taking me back.

I grew up in Eau Claire. Go Old Abes!
Posted By: cfran Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/18/11

I could win hudreds of dollars each year sitting at the feed mill in Butternut betting guys their, true, mature, trophy bucks DON'T weight 200#.

I watched a grown man throw a tantrum because his "230# buck" ONLY weighed 190# on the scale. It was a beautiful buck, a true trophy pushing 160", and this man was pissed because there's no way a deer like that can ONLY weigh 190#.

WI deer are decievig IMO...they are short in length, and height, but fat ( a lot like me). The big bucks I've shot in MN are long suckers, basketball playin' bucks. The largest buck our crew got in WI was a 168", 209#'er shot in the last week of October. I would have swore up and down it was a 225#+ deer, but when it was in the back of the truck it was short, but damn that thing was as big around as 55 gal. barrel.

This is the last I'll squawk on this tread about it.

We have a party that hunts near Spooner, big buck there body wise is going to run 170 - 180 lbs, that's a mature deer.

In MN, East Central part of the state our last 6 bucks have went 215, 210, 205, 190 and 185 (2) - that's the last 3 years and all have been 4+ year olds. These are all dressed weights on a fairly accurate scale. For whatever reason they don't grow as big in the part of WI that other members of our party hunt, not sure why (they're racks are better over there!).

Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/18/11
Originally Posted by cfran
For whatever reason they don't grow as big in the part of WI that other members of our party hunt, not sure why (they're racks are better over there!).

They don't have to get as big. Winter is at least a few weeks shorter there. Probably more like a month.

Until this year, I lived near Wausau for the last 11 years. There is a big difference in weather from there to here. (north of the twin cities 25 miles.)
Posted By: DCPlumber Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/18/11
Small world. I'm a mid 80's Old Abe too. Coached by Birkel.
Posted By: jerry46 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/23/11
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
I'd worry more about that G'damned earn a buck than I would about what it takes to put a buck down.

I may be wrong, but I understood that they stopped the earn a buck program.
Posted By: jerry46 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/23/11
You guys have got me thinking about hunting in days gone by. I can still remember the first time my dad put me on a deer stand. I was 12 years old and it was about 5:30 in the morning and so dark I could not see my hand in front of my face. After he walked off, I could hear every sound. I shot my first buck on that same stand a few years later. That was in Pennsylvania.

Now I am anxious to hunt Wisconsin. I have wanted to go there for a number of years.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/23/11

Jerry - 2010 earn-a-buck applied only to deer management units (DMU) that were in a Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) DMU unit. Stay tuned that could change for 2011.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/23/11

Tommy,

I get a kick out of folks that think their 160# is 200# too. grin

And you're right, Northern MN has the Canadian strain of whitetails, they're far more sturdy than our northern deer.

Actually the largest bodied deer on record is from MN and dressed at just over 400lbs. Our state record is from the UP and dressed in the upper 300lb range. I think there was a few WI that were in that range also IIRC. Most obviously don't get close to that, but one of the problems we have here is it's hard to get bucks to maturity due to the volume of hunters. A few years ago some check station data recorded around 2% of bucks coming through were 4.5 and older. I think we'd see a lot more of the 200+ dressed out if they were mature deer instead of a bulk being 1.5 and 2.5 year olds.
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/24/11

At this time, there is still EAB.
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/24/11
You're right, most don't let them get big. I'm guilty as charged for that in WI. In WI i'm usually hunting for the fun of it, not for trophy's. I have only shot a few buck in WI. I go to be at camp, which is what I like the best.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/25/11
Nothing wrong with that, it's supposed to be fun and those times at the camps are some good times.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Wisconsin Deer - 04/29/11
Just heard yesterday that earn a buck is no more!!! I don't know about the 210 bucks they're talking about. Yeah you'll see one here and there, but around here in Richland County 180 dressed is a d@mn big deer....
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/04/11
That's good news.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/06/11
the fact of the matter is most people in WI wouldn't know a 200# animal if it ran them over because most people cannot lay off of the dinks. grin

SKane,
In Buffalo County it would seem with so many outfitters leasing land that deer would be an expensive commodity, is dink shooting a big problem in that county?
Posted By: SKane Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/06/11
Mike,

Actually, Buffalo county is one of the few exceptions. (there are some other areas as well) A lot of that ground is managed for big deer and they do a fantastic job of it. The Buffalo county deal was a grass roots effort by Tom Indrebo and a handful of others, neighbors began reaping the benefits of management and it spread from there.

There are also some relatively large tracts of land in that neck of the woods - not the case in so many other parts of the state.
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/06/11
Shoot in dink there and you'll likely be run out on a rail. smile You won't have problem there. There is a lot of farmland, and big woods all in the same. It gives them room to roam and food to eat.

It will be a great hunt. I'd like to hunt there once in my life. Preferably with a bow, but we'll see.
Posted By: SKane Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/06/11
Tommy,
I have a friend that leases a good chunk of ground out there with two other guys and they shoot some super deer. It's only for three people and he said I'm on deck if something happens to one of the other two.

I'm currently researching the cutting of brake lines or perhaps hiring a hit on one of the other two. laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/06/11
laugh
Posted By: LIV2HUNT Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/07/11
Tommy,
I have a friend that leases a good chunk of ground out there with two other guys and they shoot some super deer. It's only for three people and he said I'm on deck if something happens to one of the other two.

I'm currently researching the cutting of brake lines or perhaps hiring a hit on one of the other two. laugh

Scott, a rechargeable Dremel is your friend!! Endless supply of ideas!! blush grin
Posted By: erich Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/08/11
Here's a nice WI buck actually my largest taken with a single shot out of my 25-204 using 100gr Partition at 2800fps. Scored 170 wish we would have weighed him but was too warm and had to get him cut up. Check station estimated over 300 dressed.

[Linked Image]

Taken on public ground north of Hayward.

erich
Posted By: SKane Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/08/11
Originally Posted by erich
Check station estimated over 300 dressed.

With a 100lb. bag of lead shot inside of him. wink laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/09/11
Scored 170 wish we would have weighed him but was too warm and had to get him cut up. Check station estimated over 300 dressed.

Taken on public ground north of Hayward.

erich

Was it scored using the metric system? Not to piss in your coffee, but that buck is a 130-140" deer weighing a buck 180 dressed.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/09/11
Next time, you can estimate live weight by measuring the girth right behind the shoulders. There is a conversion for this to get live weight that you can google up, or you can get a tape measure calibrated in pounds from the PA Game and Fish folks for a whopping $1. Kinda handy and interesting.
Available at PA web page?
Can't find the website right off the bat, but if you put these words into google you will get a bunch of stuff, including a look-up table so you can just use an ordinary tape measure and convert

deer weight tape measure
Posted By: roundoak Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/09/11
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/deer/11949

Page down to Deer Hunting and click on Deer Weight Chart
Deer weight tape $.94 plus shipping and handling.

I ordered 10 for X-mas gifts

http://www.theoutdoorshop.state.pa....5C771E4CA7A57645C56781E642&catid=MIS

Page down to second item from the bottom
Posted By: SKane Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/09/11
Ever see one where the tape wasn't big enough? grin

[Linked Image]
No, is that what I am looking at?
Yep. that spread on that buck is 22".

grin

grin

My leg! my leg! O my leg! - it hurts from all that... smile
Say, does anyone know of a similar tape or look up table for elk or moose? I looked around at one time and couldn't find anything.

Brent
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/09/11
That's a toad SKane...a magnum whitey. My Dad would like that.....he doesn't give a crap about horns, it's all about meat to him.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/09/11
I killed a Texas muley buck a couple of years ago that had a 50" girth around his front shoulders, no BS. I've got a pic around here somewhere I'll see if I can find it.
IF that chart is close to being right, he was way over 300lbs. We guessed him at 330 or so anyway.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I killed a Texas muley buck a couple of years ago that had a 50" girth around his front shoulders, no BS. I've got a pic around here somewhere I'll see if I can find it.
IF that chart is close to being right, he was way over 300lbs. We guessed him at 330 or so anyway.

The biggest bodied mule deer I have ever seen have come out of the area of TX you hunt JG. Its incredible how big they can get
Posted By: SKane Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11

JG, I don't doubt that for a second. Any chance he was huge up front but smallish in the rear? (that's the way the whitetail in the earlier photo was - definitely on the down-side of prime)

grin

laugh
Posted By: rrroae Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11
I always assumed the buck out west were much larger than those here in good 'ol Pa. The last 4 buck I've shot in archery were between 168 - 196 lbs and I don't believe any were more than 2 1/2 years old. Just how much weight does a buck lose during the rut?

Comparing some of the bucks I've got recently, I think I might have a broken scale because mine don't look anywhere near as big as some posted.

This fella weighed 174lbs.

[Linked Image]

This one weighed 182 lbs

[Linked Image]

Neither look anywhere near as big as some posted here.
Posted By: jerry46 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11
Originally Posted by rrroae
I always assumed the buck out west were much larger than those here in good 'ol Pa. The last 4 buck I've shot in archery were between 168 - 196 lbs and I don't believe any were more than 2 1/2 years old. Just how much weight does a buck lose during the rut?

Comparing some of the bucks I've got recently, I think I might have a broken scale because mine don't look anywhere near as big as some posted.

This fella weighed 174lbs.

[Linked Image]

This one weighed 182 lbs

[Linked Image]

Neither look anywhere near as big as some posted here.

Being from Pennsylvania, I would assume your deer were dressed. I wonder how many of the deer described were live weight. That makes a big difference in the weight.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11
Hows the deer hunting around Wisconsin Rapids.
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11
Where near Rapids? The Yellow River Bottoms are a good place. Lots of deer....lots, but there are a fair amount of people there to hunt them too. There are some big bucks around, but like usual, most shoot the dinks.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11
Originally Posted by huntsonora

The biggest bodied mule deer I have ever seen have come out of the area of TX you hunt JG. Its incredible how big they can get

Found a pic of that deer. I'm 6'2" and my lardass goes 240. Granted this buck is hanging 18" or so off the ground, but you get the idea. 26" in circumference behind his ears, 50" girth behind front legs. He's obviously already gutted here...
[Linked Image  <br>
								</div>
	</div>
	<div class=
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11
That ain't no WI buck. laugh

Heck of a Mulie JG.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11
Dayum - that is a large muley.
JG-

I had a feeling the deer would be shaped like a triangle, and, he didn't disappoint. laugh Did you happen to dig in back and check his molars?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/10/11
I'm not good at that stuff at all, but my buddy and ranch foreman thought him to be 6 1/2 yrs old.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/11/11

....130 in the 270; 165's in 30/06.

Deer (even great big deer) are no harder to kill in Wisconsin than anywhere else.Either load will knock the snot out of the biggest deer on the Continent.
Nice buck JG! wink
Posted By: adpost Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/11/11
Posted By: roundoak Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/11/11
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Deer (even great big deer) are no harder to kill in Wisconsin than anywhere else.Either load will knock the snot out of the biggest deer on the Continent.

Bob, guess you have not tried killing deer in the Gogebic Iron Range of Wisconsin. Those deer pick up trace iron in their diet - makes them pretty tough and they can pack a lot of lead. Usually takes two or more shots to keep them down. Our hunting camp was after an old buck up there for several years... we nicknamed him "Ol Ironsides" grin grin
roundoak I plum forgot that! Make it a 338! grin
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/11/11
JG-

I had a feeling the deer would be shaped like a triangle, and, he didn't disappoint. laugh Did you happen to dig in back and check his molars?

I found a good shot of a good 180 class buck one of our hunters killed last Nov 2010. Another huge bodied buck for sure....
[Linked Image  <br>
								</div>
	</div>
	<div class=
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/11/11
Man, JG. you guys sure get some giant bucks. Nice work.
Posted By: peterjack12 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/12/11
Every WI deer I've ever killed was with a core-lokt. The fastest kill of any deer i've had was in WI with 130gr core-lokt from a .270 Win.
Posted By: rrroae Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/12/11
JGRaider, that is one thick buck. Looks like you fellas have a good gene pool to work with down there.
Posted By: tzone Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/12/11
Originally Posted by peterjack12

Me too, same place even. It tipped over dead with the feet in the air. I could see them through the scope. Also the only deer I've ever shot with the .270.
Posted By: erich Re: Wisconsin Deer - 05/22/11
Just got back to a real computer and thought I'd add this pic of the little bck that I was standing on the ladder starting to skin.

[Linked Image]

erich
Posted By: jerry46 Re: Wisconsin Deer - 06/04/11
Just got back to a real computer and thought I'd add this pic of the little bck that I was standing on the ladder starting to skin.

[Linked Image]

erich

erich, That is a great looking Wisconsin deer, but what is a 25-204? If it is about what I would think it is, I guess my .270 will do just fine. Again, great deer.......
Posted By: erich Re: Wisconsin Deer - 06/05/11
25-204 is the 204 Ruger necked up to 25 cal running 100gr Partitions at 2800fps duplicate factory published ballistics for the 250 Sav. a great old time deer cartridge.

erich
© 24hourcampfire