Home
Posted By: Hawken Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/17/11
Lets see them!
Posted By: BrentD Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/17/11
I don't have a picture of a tree stump handy, but that would be it.

Not much for a stand that is more elaborate than a few logs or branches thrown together. But mostly, I just want a comfortable stump or tree to lean against.
Great for lousy cold and snowy days on the Plains!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice!
Posted By: Chrome Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/17/11
I built this stand so that me and my son could hunt together. As an 8 year old it allowed him to "move around" and even read a few comic books, while daddy was doing some serious hunting.....

The stand is over 10 years old and has produced over twenty kills.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/17/11
4 foot wide walls, 6 walls, on an old trailer so I can drop the tires on and slowly move it.

Need to replace wood steps with metal c purlins due to fires... hoping stand in grass only may be tall enough to avoid catching as long as steps are metal and not wood....

We don't use the stand that much, but when we do, its sure nice to be able to have room for the wife and I and just kick back and relax.

Me, I'd prefer to hunt on foot and be in a different area every day... but it doesn't work that way here... I"m like Brent.. all I'd need is a stump or tree trunk and life would be fine. We've even laid down amidst low stuff and covered with a camo net and shot deer before. Carolyn really enjoyed that when a doe came up to look at the muzzle of my 1892 32-20 one night..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/17/11
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
T what's that white stuff on the ground? And why doesn't dat boy have at least a simulated boom stick....my lord what he do if the leopard squirrels attacked?

....Love the pic....
They will lep on you.

grin

Hey tom remember Jack said he wanted a beard around the time you took that picture?

[Linked Image]

ROR!!

grin
ground blind

[Linked Image]

Rickity ladder of death, some old home made stand out by our camp.

[Linked Image]

view from another ground blind.

[Linked Image]

our only decent and truly enclosed stand.

[Linked Image]
I do remember that. Ror.

He doesn't want a beard anymore. He said his last one was too scratchy. grin
Originally Posted by big drift
T what's that white stuff on the ground? And why doesn't dat boy have at least a simulated boom stick....my lord what he do if the leopard squirrels attacked?

....Love the pic....

BD,

He likes to find sticks and turn them into guns. Although, now he as a .22 so I think we're done with the 'stick guns.'
Posted By: BrentD Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/17/11
Those ground blinds look pretty darn cozy. I'd use something like that. Perfect for taking a nap.... smile
Not sure if this one survived the windstorm that swept through the county a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

Deluxe roof added. Keeps yer head dry.
Built Two like this and dont regret it one bit.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thinking this weekend may call for some chainsaw action down towards the lake to build a couple of those ground blinds.

I'll just tell the kids we're making bunkers while we are watching for squirrels that should get me plenty o help smile
Originally Posted by claycrusher
Built Two like this and dont regret it one bit.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

i like that, how do your windows operate?

Dave if your interested you can get those elevator brackets here.

http://www.amazon.com/4x4-Elevators%C2%AE-Set-of-4/dp/B0002MFF5Q

Saves on lots of time and figureing.

Actually we have a laser cutting, bend and weld program set up here at work for brackets like that, really nice heavy duty ones.

Ok you suck smile

It's not a bad place to work... grin
Dave, I just have them hinged on the top of the window and open inward. I usally just put them up and latch them open, except for the one in which the wind is blowing.
Posted By: ckr Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/17/11
Are those stands freestanding?
Yes they are. We have had 60 mph winds come through and trees have gone down but the stands are that stable. If one wanted it would be easy enough to put some eye bolts in the legs and cable it down with some anchors.
Posted By: bigbrie Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/17/11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's a good way to go. I have a spot with only young trees, and the burlap provides good cover. I'll be trying out a new Slumberjack chair like this
[Linked Image]
I have two sets of burlap: one with stakes, and one that's zip tied to some fencing - free standing for use on frozen ground.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
They will lep on you.

grin

Hey tom remember Jack said he wanted a beard around the time you took that picture?

[Linked Image]

ROR!!

grin

Saw [b][color:#3333FF]this last week[/color][/b] and thought of that very same picture....

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD
Those ground blinds look pretty darn cozy. I'd use something like that. Perfect for taking a nap.... smile

We build those in WI in the Nat. forest we hunt. They don't like stands so much there. I'm not a fan of them either. The blinds are fun, especially when the deer are close.
It's not a bad place to work... grin

Do you work with stainless?

I need some cut outs on a roll pan for the exhaust on my '55.
You need the roll pan or do you have one?
Actually we have a laser cutting, bend and weld program set up here at work for brackets like that, really nice heavy duty ones.

Is that one of those "government" programs? I miss working in a fab facility about now...
gub'ment yessir.

grin
Posted By: tzone Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/18/11
That picture makes me smile like heck.
[Linked Image]
We just finished this one. We built it for my dad, but I'm sure I'll get some use out of it with my 7 and 4 year old in tow.
[Linked Image]
Shwanky!!

Dimensions??

smoker,

Where are you going to mount the dish? Going with a sprinkler system on the septic or just the old field line system?

Nice
No septic tank--probably just the old straight line method.

The "shooting house" is 6 x 6. It's a little larger than I would have wanted, but it will work great--once the carpet is installed!

I took the picture standing in a logging road adjacent to the stand. It's elevated well above the actual shooting area due to being placed about halfway up a hill. Below is a picture from the front window. Visibility will be much better once the leaves are off the trees.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MD270WBY Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/19/11
The fireplace must be on the other side of that shooting house.

Nice set up. I don't have any pics to share. I guess I could have put up a picture of my climber or my hot seat.

Guess I will have to wait until I have some land to build one of those fancy houses.
It's the first one we've built. Dad is 67 and I'm 40. My first trip to the stand was in 1979 and haven't missed a season yet. My kids are coming of age and we wanted something comfortable. Somewhere they could nap if needed and move when they want to move. My oldest daughter wants to be out there and my four year old son wants to go to. We've been talking about it for years, but we finally made the move.
Well it certainly looks like excellent craftsmenship to me. How do the windows operate?

They slide open. We'll open them upon arrival and close them when we leave. Probably gonna get some black fabric/mesh to block out some light on the width.
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/28/11
Here's mine, located at the back corner of my 40, where it buts up to National Forest land. Nice spot to sit in bad weather.

Rod

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow very nice!

We put this one up last weekend. I have one more like it to put up this weekend.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Dave, I'm not in anyway trying to critize your work, but please take a look at those 2 2x4s holding that box up. They look very stressed and could break at any time. May be time for some 2x6s and long lag bolts at the very least. It's not a good feeling when one lets go and can lead to severe injury or death. We've had some close calls with old lumber in trees, but been lucky to not suffer injuries. A lady at work's son had his old wooden ladder give way on him a few years back and even though it was a short fall, he fractured multiple vertebrate(sp?). The Drs told him he was very lucky to get a brace for a few months instead of a wheel chair for life.

Nice stand btw.

Here's one I threw together a few years back:
[Linked Image]

Plexi in tracks and all seems lapped to keep the wasp out in the summer.

Have a good one,

loder
Nice lookin stand there reloader

unfortunately the photos are too close up and seem to have a fisheye effect. The boards you see are rough cut so they are actual 2 by 4 and the photo doesn't show the aditional bracing I added to help support in the event that those supports should fail.

Still the same, I will be replacing with new 2x6 or larger.

[quote=Phil99]Here's mine, located at the back corner of my 40, where it buts up to National Forest land. Nice spot to sit in bad weather.

Rod

[Linked Image]

That's a well made shooting house! Great carpentry work!
Posted By: tzone Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/28/11
Here's a couple we'll be hunting out of this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Winnie Re: Homemade deer stand Pics. - 10/29/11
I find a big ole log or rock, lean against it, then put my rifle on the shooting sticks and take a nap. grin

Real peaceful.

Bout done .....[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire