Home
Posted By: roundoak Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
There is a couple threads here with deer camp pictures and I noticed some camp signs. For me it would be interesting to learn the background on the names.

For example there is one camp name "Chickenbuck Camp" that shows up frequently, perhaps we can get the story on it and other camp names.

My deer camp name is Mill Springs Camp. The genesis of the name
is due to several springs on the property, one of which we draw water from for drinking and bathing. This spring empties into a tributary of a stream that once had 6 waterpowered mills on it.

Piped spring water.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
That's a good name, great pictures too.

Ok I'll explain camp chickenbuck for those that don't know.

This little guy was 3 when we were building our camp in 2007.

[Linked Image]

He was right there with us as we built the cabin. He had (has) quite the imagination.

He began telling stories of forest creatures that only he could see. The most famous and first of which was a �chickenbuck�.

I nearly lost it the first time he told me about the chickenbuck. It�s just what it sounds like, part chicken and part white tail buck.

One evening at camp it was just me and little Joe and I got curious about the checkenbuck so I started asking him more about it. We sat at the table with a pen and paper and with his help we scratched out the first artist�s rendering of the creature.

We then drew it out on a piece of scrap plywood which we nailed to a tree by our property gate later on. The name just stuck.

[Linked Image]

Since that time there have been several artistic offerings of the chickenbuck by members of the campfire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is also a creature out there called the �giant swamp squid�

[Linked Image]

And of course the �Flying bear� which I am personally quite terrified of.

[Linked Image]

There is also the �leopard squirrel� who will �lep on you�, so watch out for that too.

Over the years the camp name found it�s way onto furniture, targets, hats, shirts, and even some skin shocked

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/100_2252.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/100_1339.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/IMG_0017.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/Chickenbuckreducedorange.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's about it.

Sorry for so many pictures.
Posted By: SKane Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11

My deer camp in northern WI;

Morningwood
Name is pretty self-explanatory. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Very nice, the name scares me a bit tho... grin
Prolly why I hunt solo.
Prolly...

raffin!
Posted By: scottfromdallas Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11

Mine is El Chupacabra ranch. We call it Chup for short.
Posted By: big drift Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
Soggy Bottoms Boys from having to drag so many deer out of the Red River of the North and the mud field and drainage ditches of ND.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
Camp Wait-A-Minit
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
The hunting shack up in finn country, Oulu, WI.
We had to come up with a name for the club to put on the deed, so we shortened "The Hunting Shack" to, "THS".

It was an old early 1900's log general store that has had a couple of additions & siding put on. A pic from last Fall after we finally scraped off the old, weathered, vitamin pee yellow paint, oil base primed and re-painted it. Should last a good while. Gotta paint the sauna to match one of these days.

[Linked Image]

Bruce,
Pretty hard to get further north in WI without getting wet. laugh
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
my uncles place says "camp 99" on the sign. Ill have to ask him why...
[Linked Image]

few more pics...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrentD Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
[/IMG]

I don't get it... smile

few more pics...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
camp 99 rocks.

Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
Logs underneath that siding, eh? Did you take a peak to see the condition of logs. Them Finn's were good log builders...would not surprise me that the logs are in good shape.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
Camp 99...WOW, this has to be fairly rare to see a collection of hunters and their 99's in recent times.

cool
Posted By: tzone Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by northern_dave

There is also the �leopard squirrel� who will �lep on you�, so watch out for that too.

Let us not forget the "humping turkeys" that just keep humping and humping. sick
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
My Grandfathers camp near Blackduck MN was "Camp No Shirt Tails" smile

ddj
Posted By: tzone Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe

Probably a Gretzky fan.
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by roundoak
Logs underneath that siding, eh? Did you take a peak to see the condition of logs. Them Finn's were good log builders...would not surprise me that the logs are in good shape.

The lowest course is getting pretty soft, but pretty darn solid for the most part.

Originally Posted by SKane
Bruce,
Pretty hard to get further north in WI without getting wet. laugh

Yep. It's a nice drive along the Hwy. 13 lakeshore. Colors are probably really nice right now, maybe fading some. Careful though, wouldn't wanna hit a woof!
Posted By: greenmtndave Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
My good friends camp in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont was christened "THE BENT ELBOW" back in the 1960's. It has nothing to do with an arm injury...

Posted By: wldthg Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
In these woods--- [Linked Image] A few of the Camps [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] STONE CAMP ---- BIRCH WOOD --- SPRAGUE SPRINGS--- SOUTH HOLLOW Others not shown--- TAPIN TREES--- OWLS NEST--- WARRENS-- ASHWORTH-- CAMP OF LOVE--- 7-11(JONES BOYS)---ARLINGTON BOYS-- PEMRICKS-- WAITE'S --- DONUT MAN-- and a few I missed. Most of them are hardly used. Day's gone by----- Web
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
Camp Mossback, that's what Gramps used to call anyone who beat him at cards or ticked him off in general,,,,, as I write this I'm still not sure what a mossback is but it used to make me laugh. Probably some racist comment. Hope my camp is not racist.

God Bless,
MM
Posted By: deg967 Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/17/11
I used to frequent a camp a couple miles from ours named "The Naked Lady Camp". Had centerfolds tacked to nearly every tree in close to an acre of campsite. And from what I hear, an occasional live version or 2 running around there, just cause they could cool
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Camp Mossback, that's what Gramps used to call anyone who beat him at cards or ticked him off in general,,,,, as I write this I'm still not sure what a mossback is but it used to make me laugh. Probably some racist comment. Hope my camp is not racist.

God Bless,
MM

Your looking ok...
Definition of MOSSBACK
: a large sluggish fish (as a largemouth bass)
: an extremely old-fashioned or reactionary person : fogy
� moss�backed adjective
Examples of MOSSBACK

<those mossbacks at the intelligence agency didn't get the memo that the world had changed>
Posted By: carmarkie Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
Hey greenmtndave,
That is a very interesting name for a deer camp! You might be interested to know that there is a restaurant/bar in Silverton, Colorado named the "Bent Elbow". For the same reason I'm sure.

Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
Our club near Macon, Ga is called "Promised Land"....our motto is "let 'em go, let 'em grow!"......
Posted By: 4_S_ter Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
SHOOTERVILLE!

[Linked Image]

Named after a shack on the North Shore - Hooterville! Made of a very similar design. Which is crafted after an addition on a shack at Scandia Bay, Saganaga Lake that we all used to party pretty hard at in the winter time while lake trout fishing. Good times.

Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
There's ten of us total therefore "TEN BILLIES"
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
I visited one 2 weeks ago, they called their camp "Onion Ass" It was a really fun bunch of guys.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
Our is Camp Opa, for the home states of the original members- Ohio and Pennsylvania.

A couple other camps in our area of note are Camp Bozo, Camp Misery, and Bear's Den.

Across the mountain from us there's a camp called The Plastered Bastards. Good bunch of guys, and good hunters too. Can always count on seeing several deer hanging off their game pole, and they are the best pranksters on the whole mountain. Nothing's sacred over there. One of their guys showed up at this stand bright and early the first morning to find it had been painted pink. God forgive those that miss shots from their group. They don't lose their shirttails-they give up their whole shirts! The Wall of Shame picks up a couple new additions every year.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
"old blood and guts"
Posted By: JDK Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
I hunt out of two camps each year. The We Three was named by my grandfather and his two brothers when they built the camp in the 1960s. Only one brother is left now and he is 95. Still goes to camp and even hunts.

Beaver Brook Lodge named for the nearby brook. Up until 1995 you had to walk in but there is now a road.

Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
The leases & camps I have had were named:

Commencement, Buckhurst and Dunbarton. All were named after the Plantations they were once part of.

JM
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/18/11
our spread is known as coopers Coulee. we kill them like this in wisconsin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My great uncles last buck ever..... and my bangflop machine.. 300RUM
Posted By: bpas105 Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
Mine's "Buck-57 Camp" and covers several things - we're always looking for a good buck, our family is a bit Heinz-57 variety, but mostly because that's what my tax bill went up for the little pavilion we put up to cover the picnic table. It must have cost the county at least $50 to send the appraiser out, but he was sure proud to let me know the tax would be $1.57.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
that buck is a beast!
Posted By: tzone Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
That thing is a monster.
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
yea, that was a good buck, its in the wisconsin buck and bear club at number 8 all time. 171 4/8 net. my uncle holding the deer is 6'4 260
Posted By: Adkstalker Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
Ours is "camp compliance" as a thank you to the finch pruyn paper company lease and their endless regulations....others are named 5x5 club (10 members), dew drop and the mud duck lodge
Posted By: roundoak Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
Whoa! That deer is awesome.
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
i happen to have a 54.5 acre chunk of heaven in that same area forsale for the lovely price of 120K complete with huning shack and box blind :-D oooh and a trout stream
Posted By: SSB Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
My place is named "Sleepy Hollow".,,,which was done long before I came along. I asked once and was told "because we are in a valley". I've never seen a Headless Horseman....and no one ever sleeps so it's all beyond me....lol.
Posted By: CLB Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
Great stories and awesome photo's guy's.

The "camp 99" crew has it going on! You fellas take tradition to a whole new level...
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
In the far far west there aren't a lot of permanent eastern style deer camps, but each year some hunters erect a combo of tents and camper trailers in a place of torrential rain on the Olympic Penninsula which my son has dubbed "The Plywood Palace." He hunts the same area and stops in for coffee with those boys. I don't think he has ever told them what he calls their camp.

On the Coluckum (in Washington) during elk season I once counted 53 pick-up campers, trailers, tents etc. linked under tarps and plywood to make one big apartment.

Posted By: ckr Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/19/11
Not a cool name but a funny story. Buddy has a hunting camp in North Central PA. When his son was little 3-5yrs old or so he'd get all fired up 'cause they were going to "humpin' camp". His minor speech impediment has been corrected but the name stuck.
Posted By: wareagle Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/25/11
I hunted for several years with a gang who swore they couldn't kill deer unless sitting over a pile of corn. Therefore they've since been dubbed "The Masterbaiters". Stuck like glue.
Posted By: shaman Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/28/11
In the tradition of Germans, who love to string long groups of words together and use them as nouns, our camp is named

Der Bauernhof am Loch im Ende des Stumpfes

(The farm in the hole in the end of the stump)

Der Bauernhof . . .

A long-standing project of KYHillChick's: We furnished the inside of camp somewhat like a Black Forest gasthaus, and in keep with that, KYHillChick has been working for years doing an elaborate border in that funky German Gothic Script. You'd have to know German, but the saying are things like:

Big Antlers do not make for a big schwantz

My butt's frozen. I'm shooting the next thing that walks past.

I'm getting bored. Call back to the lodge and tell them to release the game.

Posted By: goalie Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/28/11
Camp Saint Anne

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was my hunting partner's Grandparents place on the north shore of Upper Whitefish Lake. His Grandmother was Anne.

Posted By: garyb11s Re: Deer Camp Names - 10/29/11
The "Taj"....

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire