Home
Posted By: Paul Walukewicz 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/18/11
Well i guess it can...

[Linked Image]

Was a good day to be in the woods with my boys. had this doe come out at 112 Yards. boys told me i had to shoot it as it was MY turn to shoot. Here are some more pictures from the hunt...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the bullet is still in her shoulder and i'll dig it out when i butcher her in a couple day's. letting it hang for a couple days. I'll post a picture of the ribs when i go back to the hunt club... pretty impressive performance.

Specs
Rem 700 223AI
Douglas #2 @ 21"
1-8 Twits
Ti take off
Bushnell 10X Mil Mil scope
Rifle basix triger
Talley's
Posted By: savage62 Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/18/11
Great job keep on taking to young lad out
Thanks! what makes it better is the rifle i used was the last one i put together for my ol'man before he passed. Only way i could talk him into one was to just build it for him and let him go... he really loved that rifle!! just made a good day better! To me at least...
nice! Ive been drilling hogs and killed a eight pointer using hornady 75 bthp match in a heavy barreled remington 5r .223! Sure whacks them nicely for a .223!
Posted By: sabot Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/18/11
glad to see dad and kids hunting.
they get to play hookie from school for a couple day's next week and we're going to try and get them on a couple before they have to visit their mom for Christmas...
Posted By: ingwe Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/18/11
Stunt shooting again I see..... wink
Thats some really good stuff, and some tender vittals to go along as well.

Dober
Posted By: Dawn2Dusk Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/18/11
Great to see the youth out in the field!
i'm a king of stunt shooting... grins
thanks Dober... I have more fun with them in the stand. I'm surprised we ever see anything! between the laughing and talking and movement you'd think i'd never see anything but i guess there are deaf and blind deer too... grins
True that and very good stuff.

Dober
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
i'm a king of stunt shooting... grins

Nope, the king shoots little guns AND little bullets..50 gr TTSXs.... wink
try some 45's and get back to me... grins...
10-4 Will do! grin
Actually Paul, one of my best pards took his 12 year old daughter hunting last year with a .222 and 45 TSXs...one shot, one kill on a NICE Mule deer buck....
i want to build a K hornet just for that bullet!! i think it'd be wicked cool!
Well i guess it can...

[Linked Image]

Was a good day to be in the woods with my boys. had this doe come out at 112 Yards. boys told me i had to shoot it as it was MY turn to shoot. Here are some more pictures from the hunt...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the bullet is still in her shoulder and i'll dig it out when i butcher her in a couple day's. letting it hang for a couple days. I'll post a picture of the ribs when i go back to the hunt club... pretty impressive performance.

Specs
Rem 700 223AI
Douglas #2 @ 21"
1-8 Twits
Ti take off
Rifle basix triger
Talley's

Fantastic! That is what the outdoors is all about.
Posted By: BradArnett Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/18/11
Congratulations Paul!
Thanks guys. was a great day... going to try a repeat with a different rifle tomorrow...
Posted By: yukonal Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/19/11
Way to go Paul. Can't wait to see the recovered bullet.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/19/11
Congrats Paul!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/19/11
Awesome. Can't wait to take my 7 year old over the Christmas break. Hope you and your boys take a few more deer your next time out.

Look forward to the recovered bullet pics when you get to it.
Posted By: Waders Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/19/11
Taking the boys out with your father's rifle, that's teaching heritage right there. Connecting past to present and killing a deer in the process--very cool!

Paul, your life became so much more complicated after losing your dad and then becoming a single parent. I think of you from time to time and pray that you will continue to do well.

God bless!
Well the deer didn't cooperate tonight and we had to make a hasty retreat home cause the little man was sick and needed his bed. Will get some pictures tomorrow..

Wade,
Thanks! i appreciate the thoughts. The boys and i are doing what we can to make it though the changes and it's really good that we can now spend as much time doing stuff together.
Congratulations on a fine hunt Paul.
I love the 75 gr Horn match for the 600 yrd paper. I've been threatening to try the Amax's in the same.

Good on ya Paul. I'm taking the lil pimp.out Wednesday morning. Still working on his first. He turned 8 on the 15th.

Merry Christmas

Joseph
Posted By: waterbug Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/20/11
Kudos to you for making the time to spend with your boys in the field.
well it's not quite ready to butcher but i dug out most of the bullet i think? anyway, here it is....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Weighed 38 grs and was .8'ish x .5'ish. Dead centered a rib on entry, one on exit and clipped the edge of the shoulder blade on the way out, broke the bone and spun around and came to a stop in the muscle... Looked to be aprox 17" of penetration... give or take. Was quartering away at the shot, if you look at the picture of the deer with just the rifle you'll see the entrance wound right by the elevation turret...
Posted By: 257heaven Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/23/11

Great pics of the kids. And glad to know the 75 AMAX will kill deer!

Thanks! i just can't stop killing stuff with the 223's... this was the first Amax i flung at one but i've had a pard shoot one with a 50 Vmax in the shoulder at 235 yards.... i recovered the bullet under the hide on the off side... it only weighed 23 gr...
Posted By: BarryC Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/24/11
That AMAX is shredded. I wouldn't call that confidence inspiring.
What part of 17"'s of penetration and three bones isn't confidence inspiring?
Paul- what do you think the bullet would do at 22-250 velocity? I'm getting ready to build one, or an ackley of the same, and this is the bullet I'd like to shoot.
I've got a bunch loaded up in my 22-250ai and plan to shoot a doe with them next week. I'll report back but don't think it'll be much different. I'm not expecting them to explode. I know a few others who run them fast and have had very good success with them.
I've been going back and forth about building a 243AI, but I have this 22-250 that needs a new tube and this would serve double duty. Thinking #3 or 4. If it's a 4 I'll flute.
I'd go #2 at 21" 1-8 a given. I'd skip flutes unless you want them cause they are cool.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/25/11
I have a Mickey Coleman Tac30 with mountain rifle contour bbl cut at 21" in 22-250 that I have sighted in with a 75 Gr AMax load. I may take that one with me next weekend with inspiration from Paul.

Whitetail ain't that hard to kill.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/25/11
I took the easy route and just had a Montana 223 AI'd. It shot 75 amaxes today very well. Only down side is I have to single load for now due to mag constraints. It looks like the darn things work quite nicely though.

Good luck on some more hunts Paul.
you can mod the mag on the MT pretty easy. BS did it on his. I think he put up the write up on ARAIG...? if i didn't already have five 223AI's i'd do the MT thing but i'm pretty well set for them right now. grins
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I have a Mickey Coleman Tac30 with mountain rifle contour bbl cut at 21" in 22-250 that I have sighted in with a 75 Gr AMax load. I may take that one with me next weekend with inspiration from Paul.

Whitetail ain't that hard to kill.

My pink 223AI was built by mickey... out of the 5 rifles he's done for me, i can't think of one that don't shoot!!!
Posted By: 30338 Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 12/25/11
Paul, I saw those mods. I may get around to that someday. I would really like it to stack the 50 vmax and it of course fits mag fine. If the 75 keeps it up though, I may be taking the mag apart.

Still need to run some TSX at some point. Great job again on getting the boys out. They will always remember that stuff.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 01/10/12
I missed this thread. Love seeing the kids getting in on the action. You have some happy boys Paul. I am sure you are proud of them, and they think the world of you. My little girl (9) took 2 deer with my AR-15 this year. She used Partitions, but I am eager to load up the TSX's. Have all the components ready to go.
thanks, The boys want me to build them A4's for next year. only bullet i've ever had issues getting to shoot is the 60NPT's. Good going for taking your daughter! kids are what make it fun!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 01/10/12
Well i guess it can...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Specs
Rem 700 223AI
Douglas #2 @ 21"
1-8 Twits
Ti take off
Rifle basix triger
Talley's

Good looking boys there Paul!
Posted By: CLB Re: 75 gr Amax for deer??? - 01/10/12
Very cool Paul! Congratulations.
© 24hourcampfire