Home
Posted By: buckthumper slug gun grouping - 12/25/11
I have a mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and I got a bunch of hornady sst slugs to shoot out of it. I can hit a dime every shot at 50 yards but as soon as I go to 100 yards I can't group better than a 7" circle. I think it has to be the shells but was wondering if anyone else had this problem with a mossy 500.
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: slug gun grouping - 12/25/11
I had a Mossy 835 Ulti-Mag with rifled slug barrel and the only shells I could get to group out of it were 2 3/4 Federal Premium sabot's. I also hear good things about Lightfield Hybrid EXP's their pricey though.
If your not getting enough back pressure with your left hand on the forearm of the gun when shooting a slug gun at 100 - 150 yds it will open up your groups also.
Posted By: writing_frog Re: slug gun grouping - 12/25/11

Don't know about Lightfield they are not available here but in my SX3 Winchester some slugs were really good accuracy wise. I join two pictures which speak for themselves. May be you can give them a try.
Dom

Rem copper solid sabot, Winch XP3 and Rackmaster
[Linked Image]
Buckhammer and XP3
[Linked Image]
Posted By: maddog Re: slug gun grouping - 12/26/11
That's the problem with slug guns. They are more finnicky than red headed wimmins!grin

I'd try at least a 1/2 doz. different 5 paks of slugs, to see which shoots best. I'd start with Rem buckhammers, if you can find them.

maddog
Posted By: savage62 Re: slug gun grouping - 12/27/11
Winchester silver boxes shoot the best in mine no complants an I have the maverick 88 pump shoot an groups great
Posted By: 12ptdroptine Re: slug gun grouping - 12/28/11
most every gun is going to have a slug that it likes best. I would say SST is not the one for you. I have 3 slug guns. My Encore likes winchester Platinum premere's. My Marlin likes Lightfiels'd and My H&R likes lightfields also. But as stated earlier these new slug guns can be very finiky. Some of them load up with plastic fouling in the rifling after only a few shots..then it all starts falling apart. I wouldnt shoot over 8-10 slugs without cleaning it real good. Sounds like a lot...But as I said finiky.
drop
Posted By: Team_Tricky Re: slug gun grouping - 12/28/11
I have always had GREAT groups with Lightfields, then Buckhammers out of my rifled 870
My gun won't shoot SSTs under 3MOA. The only sabot it likes are the Remington Accu-Tips. My best and most consistent groups come from Lightfield Hybrid EXP and Buckhammers. I understand the Buckhammer is now discontinued but I will stock up on the Low-Recoil version because it groups well and isn't nearly as mean as the full house loads.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jmt277 Re: slug gun grouping - 12/28/11
I get 2.5 inch groups out of my 1187 with Winchester 3' Partion Golds at 100 yds. Tried remingtons and federals 5-8 inch groups with those. I was thinking of trying the sst's later. I still have 2 boxes of the winchesters though.
© 24hourcampfire