Home
What states, specifically midwest and western states, allow a landowner to harvest multiple bucks on there own property? I know MO does. Any others? MT?
Not MT. California does. Alaska does. Texas does. Nebraska does. Wyoming does if the 2nd is a whitetail. But that has nothing to do with whether or not they are landowners.
Thankfully Montana doesn't.
How do you feel Sam about landowners having tags to sell?

Thx

Dober
In Michigan one can get a two-buck tag. Private or public land doesn't matter here for bucks, only for does is there a distinction.

If you get a tag for one-buck, then any antler 3" long qualifies. If you get the two-buck tag, then one buck has to have at least 3 points on one side and the other buck has to have at least four points on a side.
Iowa allows a landowner a buck and then buy a regular resident anydeer tag.

ddj

Dober, bad news for poorboys like me!

I don't think $$$ and hunting are a good combination(in most cases).

Tn 3bucks
New Jersey, three bucks!
Originally Posted by SamOlson

You'd be branded a liberal in Texas for saying that. I know because I agree with you.
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Iowa allows a landowner a buck and then buy a regular resident anydeer tag.

ddj

Actually, Iowa allows a landowner any deer and a regular any deer and a whole bunch of other things, depending on how you count. But as for "landowner only tags" it gets a little more difficult. Since my property is jointly owned with my wife, we can both get a landowner tag and shoot a buck and then get a regular season tags (whatever you want to call regular season these days) and kill another each, and with archery tags, kill two more. All on our property.

I'd like to see landowner tags go away, but at least they are not transferable or salable.
Originally Posted by DP4
Originally Posted by SamOlson

You'd be branded a liberal in Texas for saying that. I know because I agree with you.

What's happening around here is people(mostly out of staters) have bought up ranches. Private hunting, which of course is fine.

The part I don't like is some of them are able to cut off access to lots of public land. I prefer in-state rancher landowners because at least some of them will still let you hunt.

I guess if the landowner is a fulltime resident then multiple tags might be okay. Just don't like the idea of some rich wanker flying in for a few days and being able to shoot more bucks than a resident.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for private property rights.
I know in SD you can hunt with archery, ML and rifle and kill a buck with each, sometimes 2 depending on what you draw, etc.
Two years ago in Wisconsin I had access to half a dozen tags, Buck or Doe. Landowner status mattered little.

Funny thing is I haven't seen a half dozen deer in the last 3 or 4 years...
Oklahoma: **Simplified Version** Anybody with a license(OTC) can take 6 deer spread out over archery,black-powder, and gun season + 1 doe during special antler-less season + any deer that you kill if you're drawn on a lottery state land hunt.

Of the first 6 deer, only 2 can be bucks.

Landowners don't get tags here, everything is OTC. (Unless you've got crop depredation problems, then the state comes in and helps,..I believe)
In TX you can pretty much get unlimited number of tags for your property that you own or hunt ont. You need a management plan in place and approved by the state - and a biologist will help you if you don't know how to do one. Once in place you get tags, in some cases extended seasons, movement of season within a framework etc...

It provides for a landowner, hunter or leasholder to manage a parcel of land (harvest enough deer) without having to resort to bringing in day hunters to kill off enough deer every year. It doesn't have to be a landowner. A group of guys who have a lease can get a management plan in place and get on the program and get additional tags as well. Lots of leases are on these, not just in South, TX on the big money places but the cheap East, TX leases as well.

When you own 4,000 acres and have a healthy deer herd with a deer for every 7 acres you aren't going to bring in enough hunters to keep them in check even if you wanted to (and who does).

There's a fee involved with the state and you have to keep records and renew your plan, provide harvest date, do spotlight/camera surveys etc...but it's not hard and like I said you can get a state biologist to help you out.

I own 50% of a pretty good chunk of land in TX with my sister as my partner. I manage the timber and the wildlife and with my wildlife management background I do the management plan. The tags can be filled by anyone with a valid TX hunting license.

Here's the offical FAQ on it from the TPWD site.

Q4: What is a MLD Permit and how can I get one?
A4: An MLD is a Managed Land Deer Permit. These permits allow hunters to take additional deer to better control and manage their deer herd. There are three levels of MLDs. The first, a MLD Level 1 allows the harvest of antlerless deer. A MLD 2 allows the take of both antlerless deer and spike bucks. A MLD 3 allows the harvest of antlerless and any size buck deer. To obtain this permit one needs to talk to their county Wildlife Biologist. The Biologist's names and phone numbers can be obtained by calling us or by going to the website: Land & Water - Find a Biologist - and clicking on your specific county.
Or if you don't want to go full bore MLD you can sign up for LAMPS and the state will give you extra doe tags the number depending on how much acerage and where you are.
Yeah the only difference really is the cost of the permit and the tags, the paperwork involved isn't enough to not go the MLD permit.
I think in NE, you can take 2 bucks in any combination of seasons, landowner or not? My father gets a landowner buck tag for the regular season and then has to buy a regular tag for the muzzleloader season.
Not midwest but NY you can take 2 buck and a 3rd in certain archery only zones
Michigan residents can buy one archery buck tag and one firearm buck tag. A legal buck for either tag has at least one antler that is at least three inches long.

Alternatively, Michiganders can buy a "combination license" containing two buck tags. With the combination license we can kill two bucks with any legal weapon in season (e.g. two with bow, or two with rifle, or one with each weapon). The disadvantage of the combination license is that one of the bucks must have at least four points at least one inch long on one side of the rack. One of the tags is labeled "unrestricted" (one antler three inches long) and the other labeled "restricted" (four points on one side).

Non-residents can purchase only one tag.

There are also some local restrictions on rack size in certain areas, but I won't go there.

The antler restriction on the combination caters to the QDMA folks. Of course, the debate rages as to how restrictive the rules should or should not be. I like the current system.
Arkansas limit is 6 deer no more than 2 bucks, arrows or bullets. This is for most of the state. On federal land is 1 buck/ 1 doe (i think). Our numbers are down, but our buck head gear is better than ever. Also 3 pts on 1 side minimum rule.
You can take 3 in R.I. and 2 in M.A. I know that anyone can, landowner or not. I hunted Kansas this year and the landowner said he could only take 1 buck and 3 does.
Not the midwest, but in most of SC there is no limit on bucks or does, you can kill as many as you like. Of course, the density of deer per square mile is one of the highest in the country in places.

Having said that, our DNR is considering a state wide 5 buck limit as our populations have been decimated by the increase in Coyote. I am hoping that it goes through.
In Tennessee I can take 3 bucks on landowner property that I meet landowner exemption status on. Plus, I can take up to 3 does per day.

And, with landowner exemption status, I don't need any license, permits,tags, etc.

GA. Allows Two Bucks And 10 Does Per Season. This Is Per Person,, Not Landowners.Also WMA Bucks Are Tagged By The State And Don't Count Against You.Its Possible To kill 10-12 Bucks A Season..
© 24hourcampfire