Home
I would like some bullets and weights? I know what powder my 30-06 likes. I also think that the monoliths are not required and possible the bonded bullets are a better choice. I shoot from 50 yards to 300 yards. If they run to far it is tough to find them in the wet brushy swamp. Thoughts? Thanks Buckfever1
150 gr, TSX or a 165gr anything else.
If std C&C in the 165 gr -180 gr weight calss will kill elk,they will sure as heck kill deer,but guaranteed several will chime in you have to have TSX , TTSX or the ilk.

Ir really does not matter too much which exact bullet you use,assuming it is designed for big game and in the proper weight class.Hit them in the wrong spot and they run off.Hit them in the right spot and they die pretty quick.There isn't any silver bullet to stop them running.Std plain jane Rem Cor-Loks have been killing big deer and elk for years and there isn't anything special about them, except they work.

If you are really worried, use something like a 165 gr Nosler Partition.Other wise, pick one that shoots well in your particular rifle. Those deer do not have Kevlar hides.
Any standard bullet should be fine and I would shoot 180's...not that 150's or 165's wouldn't do just as well.
150 grain TTSX

I run them through my 06.
165gr Sierra HPBT
180 Noz Pt and 4350 of one sort or another

Whens your trip?

Dober
It's hard to find something better than a good standard bullet like a 165 Hornady.

I run the 150 TSX with H4350 at just under 3000 fps, but not because I need them.

Originally Posted by RickF
It's hard to find something better than a good standard bullet like a 165 Hornady.

Dat one.
Probably doesn't matter - they are no tougher than any other deer. I prefer TSX bullets on deer as they don't frag and ruin a bunch of meat. Accubonds or partitions would be a close second.

I won't shoot coreloks anymore after having a 180 grain out of a .300 Win blow up on the shoulder of an elk at 200 yards.
Corelok are not especially designed for 300 mag velocities
Nor are whitetails as big as elk...
i'd go 150 accubond...
165 Hornady Interlock w/ 54 grs of IMR 4350= DRT Whitetail or one that is leaving a good blood trail.
In 30/06....165 gr Nosler Partition.

Nothing will kill them any quicker.
150 to 165 and while not required I would try the tipped Barnes first...
Originally Posted by BobinNH
In 30/06....165 gr Nosler Partition.

Nothing will kill them any quicker.

This.
130gr TTSX would be fun. Works great out of the .308!
I agree with you on the bonded bullets and it would be hard to beat a 165 grain Nosler Accubond for those big Northern Whitetails..........Good luck...........Hb
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by RickF

Dat one.

For sure...Works like a champ...
Originally Posted by gonewest
165 Hornady Interlock w/ 54 grs of IMR 4350= DRT Whitetail or one that is leaving a good blood trail.

That's too light of a load...I usually run from 56 to 57 gr's of IMR 4350 and around 58.5 gr's of H4350 with the 165 sp interlocks....
Some of those Canadian whitetails are blockbusters,for sure....but not really enough bigger to justify some of the armament I have seen brought up there to chase them.. shocked

I always liked the Partition as a blend of good expansion and reliable penetration from any reasonable angle.Anyone who thinks they can't be used very successfully to 500-600 yards is sniffing white powder.

My last whitetail up there came blasting from a willow swamp at dark across an open field,catching me completely flat-footed....he was quite a sight with that big rack,blowing steam and plowing snow.....a 270 and 130 Partition had sufficient brick wall effect,and he never twitched, killed in mid stride.

I used an Accubond on my biggest-bodied deer ever up there;it did OK but quit where a Nosler Partition would have kept trucking.They might be good but I'll take the Partition myself any day.

Big Canadian whitetails tend to be nocturnal,show unexpectedly and don't dally in open areas, always intent on eating ground.Unless you luck out,there is not a lot of time for shots;consequently I like something with a flat trajectory allowing point blank holds to 300 yards.You will likely not have a chance to be very deliberate,and employ your LRF,which should be done before anything shows.A 165 gr bullet from a 30/06 started 2900 fps,zeroed properly, is only down about 5" at 300 yards;about 16" at 400,but most chances will come under that....you have time to aim and shoot...not always but often enough.

With big Canadian whitetails, you snooze, you lose.

For "Big Canadian Whitetails(smilely) any good bullet from 150 to 165 grains..NOTHING more!!
Bobin NH, How high do you end up @ 100 yards for the 5" low @ 300 yards? I reload for a 30-06 and get 2900 fps with a 165 grain bullet with H-4350. I completely agree with you about moments to shoot and that is why I don't have a Ballistic turret or a range finder out. The range finder is put away after I get general distances to trees to help judge distance once a the KING shows up.
You have to be able to get that gun up and shoot with smooth function. Excellent description of hunting in the swamp ridges and open grass of Manitoba. Relaxation to pure adrenaline in seconds!
Thanks Buckfever1
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's too light of a load...I usually run from 56 to 57 gr's of IMR 4350 and around 58.5 gr's of H4350 with the 165 sp interlocks....

That's a lighter load than you prefer to shoot, but not necessarily "too light" of a load. I also load 57 gr. of IMR 4350, but have loaded down to 52 gr. with good success for lighter recoiling loads. There are better powder choices for reduced loads, but it works.

buckfever1 - I've been reading your posts about shooting giant, armor-plated, indestructible Canadian whitetails for about two years now. You're thinking about it too hard. Put together a load with a good 165-180 gr. bullet and you will kill them if you put the bullet in the right place. 150 gr. would even work just fine from your .30-06. Put the bullet behind the shoulder and they'll die, it's really that simple. I would have zero qualms about taking my .243 with 100 gr. Nosler partitions after your great big whitetails. It's done the job on many, many big mule deer for me, and I know many have killed elk with lesser guns. Fret less, type less, sleep more, shoot more.
Originally Posted by selmer
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's a lighter load than you prefer to shoot, but not necessarily "too light" of a load. I also load 57 gr. of IMR 4350, but have loaded down to 52 gr. with good success for lighter recoiling loads. There are better powder choices for reduced loads, but it works.

buckfever1 - I've been reading your posts about shooting giant, armor-plated, indestructible Canadian whitetails for about two years now. You're thinking about it too hard. Put together a load with a good 165-180 gr. bullet and you will kill them if you put the bullet in the right place. 150 gr. would even work just fine from your .30-06. Put the bullet behind the shoulder and they'll die, it's really that simple. I would have zero qualms about taking my .243 with 100 gr. Nosler partitions after your great big whitetails. It's done the job on many, many big mule deer for me, and I know many have killed elk with lesser guns. Fret less, type less, sleep more, shoot more.

A slip of the tongue on my part. I personally have never loaded that light for any of my 06's. I was thinking why not just use a 308 win but maybe the OP doesn't own a 308 so he makes due. That's commendable as well, sometimes I think it was easier when I only had one rifle.... blush
130 TTSX driven as fast as possible
a 165 pt worked great on 1 and a165 bt was the same on another. both had really huge body. cant do better than nosler. that said a 3rd, droped drt with a 3030 loaded with leaverlution 160. 30 cal. is just made for deer.
Selmer, I get it. When you hunt in MN and never see anything over 200lbs. Those 300# thick beauties are quite a sight dark antlers and all. The added problem of hunting in the swamp it is very brushy and of course wet. If you don't put them down in the open it is tough to find them. I think the 165 grn bonded bullet like an Accubond is what I will end up with at 2900 fps. OK Selmer I will let it go. Buckfever1
I don't think you can pick a bullet that can b depended on to leave a blood trail.. That seems to be dependent on luck and/or bullet placement. I say that after seeing deer killed with 338s and 300 Magnums that left no blood trail.
If I wanted to increase the odds of the deer not going far, I'd use something like a Nosler Partition and shoot with the vertical crosshair resting on the edge of the front leg and the horizontal crosshair 2/3 of the way up the body. The works fine from the couch, but in the field things often are not that neat. even then, I think the Nosler Partition gives you the best odds, all possibilities considered.

Royce
buckfever,

I've slayed a few Canadian whitetails. And have done so with everything from 100 grains to 180 grains - cup/core, bonded and mono's - from 60 yards to 380 yards. All the same result.

The bullets mentioned above are all excellent choices. Get something that shoots well for you and go bag a biggun'...
Some of those Canadian whitetails are blockbusters,for sure....but not really enough bigger to justify some of the armament I have seen brought up there to chase them.. shocked

Robert, I know you've experienced this because we've had a laugh or two about this; in many instances that I've hunted a camp in Canada there's the first-timer and he's inevitably toting a 300 mag of some flavor � rationalizing that they need bigger because "the deer are a lot bigger in Canada". grin
Skane..but those deer ARE bigger in Canada...lol...thinking most/some people "overgun" south of Canada also
gringrin

True. True.
Originally Posted by buckfever1
I would like some bullets and weights? I know what powder my 30-06 likes. I also think that the monoliths are not required and possible the bonded bullets are a better choice. I shoot from 50 yards to 300 yards. If they run to far it is tough to find them in the wet brushy swamp. Thoughts? Thanks Buckfever1

The 200 pound+ bucks and boars I've shot with the 165 Gameking (spitzer) have been absolutely hammered. I can't imagine the results would be different in Canada.
If you can do it with a .270, it can be done with anything. laugh
buckfever, I wasn't trying to sharply criticize, I'm sorry that it may have come off that way. I'm simply trying to say that sometimes we think about it too much, myself included - nothing guarantees a zero tracking job. And yes, I've killed a couple mulies over 300#, haven't had to track any of them, but not in the swamps you speak of. I understand there is a difference. I had a buddy that wanted what you're looking for. He went with a .338/.378 Wby. that I helped him with load development. He shoots a big buck every fall, some are DRT, others he has to track a short ways. The tracking and/or DRT are not a result of the perfect bullet combination, they are the result of perfect, not always intentional, bullet placement. Your choice of a 165 gr. bonded @ 2900 fps will do the job very well. Good luck and good hunting!
Originally Posted by tzone
If you can do it with a .270, it can be done with anything. laugh

Exactamundo....
My 30/06 likes the 180 Sierra best (marginally better than the Hornady and Nosler Partition)and the Hornady in the 150 ...so that would be the best for me. Or the simple Blue box federals....

To quote an outdoor writer - They are not elephants

Having said that I've killed a pile with my 25/06
Put it this way- I've seen a variety of the bigger specimens of Canadian deer, both WT and MD, and I've yet to meet one that I felt couldn't be handled neatly with a .243 and a good bullet.

Pick a decent bullet for your .30-06 and kill a big deer. It's overkill, after all.

grin
Selmer, didn't read anything in to what you posted in fact I think it was pretty insightful. Message: quit being concerned about the bullet, find the one that shoots the best, and practice. Thanks
Buckfever1
FWIW, there's probably more deer and elk killed with Core Lokt bullets than all the rest combined. And they've been making 'em for a long time.
It's always fun to dance with the new gal but often the plain jane in the corner is your best pick.
Not too long ago I talked to a guide in Saskatchewan about his recommendation for cartridges and bullets for the big whitetailed deer in his area. His answer: .30/06 w/180-grain bullets. He didn't elaborate as to what type of bullet construction.

When I asked him why he recommended that combination his response was simple, "that's one of the few cartride/bullet combinations we can be sure of getting in my area", (extreme northern Saskatchewan). I.E. ammo availability (Walmart factor) means something in remote areas. If your rifle and ammo get separated on a long flight, it's good to know you can get more of the same at the other end.
Are some picking on Bob and his .270 again. BTW isn't the great 7x57 just sort of a wimpy .270?
Any bullet will work, pick the one that shoots best outta your rifle. Ive shot 290lb Canada whitetail with 120gr TTSX, Bergers and Ballistic tips.
Bobin NH, How high do you end up @ 100 yards for the 5" low @ 300 yards? I reload for a 30-06 and get 2900 fps with a 165 grain bullet with H-4350. I completely agree with you about moments to shoot and that is why I don't have a Ballistic turret or a range finder out. The range finder is put away after I get general distances to trees to help judge distance once a the KING shows up.
You have to be able to get that gun up and shoot with smooth function. Excellent description of hunting in the swamp ridges and open grass of Manitoba. Relaxation to pure adrenaline in seconds!
Thanks Buckfever1

A Nosler 165 gr Partition at 2900 zero'ed at 235 yards is +2.5" @ 100 yds, -5" @ 300 yds, -18" @ 400 yards, or so the ballistics calculator says.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx
Originally Posted by GF1
Thanks Buckfever1

A Nosler 165 gr Partition at 2900 zero'ed at 235 yards is +2.5" @ 100 yds, -5" @ 300 yds, -18" @ 400 yards, or so the ballistics calculator says.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx

That's mashing the pedal pretty good on an 06, but like Bob said earlier "nothing is going to kill them any quicker"....Nuff said..
I'd worry more about almost anything else first on a deer hunt here, bullet choice for a 30-06 would be waaay down the list. Any standard bullet that shoots decent groups in your rifle will work very well. Most premium controlled expansion bullets are not quite as quick killing as standard cup and core bullets on our deer, but they work OK too.
I realize that it's fun to worry about the details for a hunt in an "exotic" location, but in fact a 30-06 is considered to a bit big for deer around here, many of our local hunters would prefer something smaller than a 30-06 if moose and elk weren't also on the menu. 150-180 grain Federal blue box or Remington CL or Win Power point or an equivalent hand load would kill any Canadian deer very efficiently. The three heaviest deer that I can remember were shot by myself and 2 family members with 150 gr. standard bullets from .308 and 30-30. Each of those deer field dressed at over 265 lbs.
I think I would step up from one of 6.5's to my 8x57/170 Speer or maybe my .303 Ruger #1....
I think I would make it a real traditional hunt and even wear wool,instead of my local jeans and t-shirt...
I use the 150TSX/TTSX out of my '06 driven to 3000fps. Flattens 300lb muleys, shoots flat and is accurate.
Really like someone pointed out the bullet would be of less concern than having good quality optics for low light.
Thanks Buckfever1

Buckfever, my description of hunting the swamp ridges and open grass of Manitoba is accurate because I have actually hunted the swamp ridges and open grass swamps of Manitoba grin .....and more than once, in the Interlake Area of Manitoba. I love Manitoba and it is my second choice to Alberta as a place to hunt whitetails in Central Canada.

They are very crafty whitetails,big,and can appear so suddenly with no warning....providing very little time to set up a shot.You never know what will walk out up there smile

The biggest Canadian whitetail killed in a camp I occupied was shot by a Texas fellow in the Interlake....it grossed in the 180's and the body was like a steer.The buck was killed with a 270 Winchester (yawn) grin.

In the 30/06 I shoot a load of 59 gr-H4350-165 Nosler Partition for about 2900 fps...zeroed 3" high at 100 yards,this load is down about 5" at 300 yards;about 16" at 400.You should not miss a big Manitoba buck with that load and a dead on hold clear to 300 yards.Maybe some plastic tipped bullet will show an inch less drop at that distance.There are lots of bullets that work, but I like the combination of expansion and penetration offered by the Partition.

Mostly I use the 270 up there.
Bob,

Shhhhhhh! You keep that up and everybody is going to think that there are big whitetails in Manitoba! In reality, I never saw anything big at all... wink

I used to live in Manitoba, had many fine deer hunts in the Interlake, but also on the Shilo military base where they do live-fire tank shooting.

The grasslands routinely catch fire from these live firing exercises, and are thus some of the most well-preserved native and beautiful grasslands in North America.

In fact, it was one particular hunt on Shilo base with a friend that converted him to Partitions. He shot a big buck right on the shoulder joint, and the factory bullet fragmented leaving a big shallow wound. We got the buck (after some extra exercise!), but I convinced him that Paritions are never a bad choice he has used only Partitions ever since.

John

In the 30/06 I shoot a load of 59 gr-H4350-165 Nosler Partition for about 2900 fps...zeroed 3" high at 100 yards,this load is down about 5" at 300 yards;about 16" at 400.You should not miss a big Manitoba buck with that load and a dead on hold clear to 300 yards.Maybe some plastic tipped bullet will show an inch less drop at that distance.There are lots of bullets that work, but I like the combination of expansion and penetration offered by the Partition.

Mostly I use the 270 up there.

That'll never work Bob....shame on you... wink
John the Interlake is a knarly place,grown up from the fires last time I was there,and hunting is not easy....but some of the continents biggest deer live there and some of those Manitoba bucks are as big and knarly as the country....I like the "bigness" of Manitoba,and the secrets of that fabulous bush country up there.Can't think of a better place to get "lucky"... wink

superT,I get made fun of a lot for using the 270 grin Somewhere in the archives here I think is a picture of my last 270-killed whitetail from Alberta.It was enough rifle that day... wink

Those looking for advise on those Canadian bucks should be listening to Skane and Jordan Smith and Castnblast.....those boys kill toads up there and know what it takes. smile

JG Raider,that tecnique has been pretty good to me

superT,I get made fun of a lot for using the 270 grin Somewhere in the archives here I think is a picture of my last 270-killed whitetail from Alberta.It was enough rifle that day... wink

grin

I just couldn't pass up a chance. wink
John the Interlake is a knarly place,grown up from the fires last time I was there,and hunting is not easy....but some of the continents biggest deer live there and some of those Manitoba bucks are as big and knarly as the country....I like the "bigness" of Manitoba,and the secrets of that fabulous bush country up there.Can't think of a better place to get "lucky"... wink

Yep, the Interlake is a neat area. Got stranded out there during winter once but I was well prepared with lots of survival gear -- and 60 pounds of venison sausages that I was picking up from a butcher in the Interlake area! smile

Walked a LONG way to the nearest farm and of course was subjected to a warm welcome by a family who insisted that they had nothing better to do than to spend most of the night helping me get my truck out of a big snow drift. Salt of the earth folks for sure!

Bob, I used to use be a Disciple of the High Priest O'Conner and I used the Holy and Most Righteous .270 Win, but I upgraded to a 7mm Rem Mag when I found out that the 0.007 inch larger diameter bullet made all the difference on those big Manitoba whitetails. whistle

John
Boys I hunt the interlake area and find it to be Big Country! I feel as if I am really on a way back adventure in the bush. Some awesome camp cooks up there also. Great descriptions of that country! Buckfever1
John, Manitobans are a friendly bunch,and I have always been treated well up there...they seem to have this "no-holds barred" approach to seeing that we got a great hunt in that country.

One thing I remember about that camp was that there was a 24/7 supply of beef barley and another type soup on the stove,mega pots of the stuff,and pots of coffee....and I loved the walleye fillets that seemed to be in endless supply.

Their attitude toward the size of the deer will catch a first-timer off guard....I got picked up off stand on my first hunt,the guide saying so-and-so had shot a buck and they were surprised he killed him first day...but that the other guy had killed a "pretty good one".

I pulled into camp to see a 10 point in the 140 class that would likely dress about 190 pounds.....that was the smaller one,and it was dwarfed by the other buck in antler and body size.....I gawked for 10 minutes staring at that buck,and I am used to seeing 200+ pound dressed whitetails.This one did not even look like the same species.

I can understand someone from the south being taken completely off guard by the size of those deer. I would count anyone able to hunt those Manitoba bucks each year as a very lucky hombre.

I like the 7 mag too,and have used it quite a bit in Canada.....the 270 should have its' own primitive weapons season. grin
I like the 7 mag too,and have used it quite a bit in Canada.....the 270 should have its' own primitive weapons season. grin

grin I like that idea!

I hunted Ontario moose for several years with a .270 because I could only afford one rifle and it had to be used on everything from groundhogs to moose. A .270 Win sure isn't the worst choice I could have made -- I was only a teenager still learning, so O'Conner get the credit for that fine choice! smile

John
Bob,

I first hunted deer in Alberta almost 20 years ago, on a hunt for both mule deer and whitetail. My rifle was a custom .280 Remington that I used more than any of my other rifles for a few years (which is how I know the .280 isn't any more magic than a .270).

The .280 turned out to be the smallest rifle in camp, out of 6-7 hunters. Most carried a 7mm or .300 magnum of some sort. My local guide had a .25-06, and was asking me why all the other hunters brought "cannons," since in several decades of hunting, he'd never had any problem killing Alberta bucks with his .25-06 and 120-grain factory Core-Lokts!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

My local guide had a .25-06, and was asking me why all the other hunters brought "cannons," since in several decades of hunting, he'd never had any problem killing Alberta bucks with his .25-06 and 120-grain factory Core-Lokts!

He must not look at the internet.

That was back before the Internet! Though I bet he's still killing deer with 120 Corelokt's from his .25-06....
I'll bet he has a tactical bolt handle then!
And a Picatinny rail!
I oughta talk... Just got my first M1 turret installed... At least its on a respectable rifle- a 30-06
Ive got dotz in a few scopes....
Hunted in Alberta for mule deer a couple-three years ago. This time I stepped down to a 7x57--which killed an even bigger buck than my first with the .280, at just about the same range (300 yards). But Eileen's .308 killed her buck (also big) quicker, at the same range. Apparently the .308 is superior to the 7x57!
What isn't??? smile
But Eileen's .308 killed her buck (also big) quicker, at the same range. Apparently the .308 is superior to the 7x57!
well john we all know that!
I like the 165 HPBT Sierra in the -06. Good tough bullet, but not too spendy. Thats what I would do...
Bob,

I first hunted deer in Alberta almost 20 years ago, on a hunt for both mule deer and whitetail. My rifle was a custom .280 Remington that I used more than any of my other rifles for a few years (which is how I know the .280 isn't any more magic than a .270).

The .280 turned out to be the smallest rifle in camp, out of 6-7 hunters. Most carried a 7mm or .300 magnum of some sort. My local guide had a .25-06, and was asking me why all the other hunters brought "cannons," since in several decades of hunting, he'd never had any problem killing Alberta bucks with his .25-06 and 120-grain factory Core-Lokts!

John I remember that hunt you had up in Alberta and IIRC it was part of an article you did for Rifle Magazine entitled "Rifles for Really Big Deer ",which is one of my favorites....I got a big kick out of the story and article because it mirrored what I have seen up there so many times.Those Canadian deer are really big but as you point out, they are still just deer..... cool

It seems it was along about 1990 or thereabouts (can't recall exactly) when I detected this "shift"in attitude toward deer rifles,down on the Paunsegaunt in Utah,on a mule deer hunt,and I had a 7 Rem Mag that Butch Searcy had built for me and I had hunted it a lot....it was the "smallest" rifle in camp that week.I killed a buck at about 400 yards(with a 4X scope grin and the California boys came to my room wanting to see the "little 7 mag" that had killed that buck at that distance......they were incredulous.I was pretty innocent and could not imagine why they were so surprised.

I suppose I should not poke fun at those shooting a 300 mag on those Canadian deer,because I have taken a 300 a few times myself,mostly because I had already hunted elk and mule deer earlier in the fall,and the 300 was loaded and ready to go, so I just dragged it along... blush

But I also have brought mostly 270's,or some type of 7 mag up there,and the results have been monotonously similar.....no matter the size of the deer,or the distance,they all wound up dead,and I could find no correlation between size of cartridge and distance traveled,or suddeness ofkill,or other such vague indication of effectiveness.....how far down the caliber ladder you go before that stuff starts to show up,I dunno...I do know that I would hunt deer anywhere they are found, continent wide, with a 270 or 280 without a second thought.

For me the one common denominator has been that most (not all) of those bucks over the years were on the receiving end of a Partition in various weights and calibers...and that got pretty monotonous, too.Which is why I recommend them if someone asks....not that other stuff does not work,but they seem to eliminate a lot of melodrama.You know what's going to happen when the hammer falls smile
Apparently the .308 is superior to the 7x57!

Gun writers......sheesh.....

And if you see your freind Royce tell him.........

uhhhhhhh...

You know what to tell him for me.... grin
Ingwe
Just to show you there is no malice in my heart, if you want that Burris scope I have for sale in the classifieds, you can have it for the special price of $145.

Fred
Bob,

John I remember that hunt you had up in Alberta and IIRC it was part of an article you did for Rifle Magazine entitled "Rifles for Really Big Deer ",which is one of my favorites....I got a big kick out of the story and article because it mirrored what I have seen up there so many times.Those Canadian deer are really big but as you point out, they are still just deer..... cool

It seems it was along about 1990 or thereabouts (can't recall exactly) when I detected this "shift"in attitude toward deer rifles,down on the Paunsegaunt in Utah,on a mule deer hunt,and I had a 7 Rem Mag that Butch Searcy had built for me and I had hunted it a lot....it was the "smallest" rifle in camp that week.I killed a buck at about 400 yards(with a 4X scope grin and the California boys came to my room wanting to see the "little 7 mag" that had killed that buck at that distance......they were incredulous.I was pretty innocent and could not imagine why they were so surprised.

I suppose I should not poke fun at those shooting a 300 mag on those Canadian deer,because I have taken a 300 a few times myself,mostly because I had already hunted elk and mule deer earlier in the fall,and the 300 was loaded and ready to go, so I just dragged it along... blush

But I also have brought mostly 270's,or some type of 7 mag up there,and the results have been monotonously similar.....no matter the size of the deer,or the distance,they all wound up dead,and I could find no correlation between size of cartridge and distance traveled,or suddeness ofkill,or other such vague indication of effectiveness.....how far down the caliber ladder you go before that stuff starts to show up,I dunno...I do know that I would hunt deer anywhere they are found, continent wide, with a 270 or 280 without a second thought.

For me the one common denominator has been that most (not all) of those bucks over the years were on the receiving end of a Partition in various weights and calibers...and that got pretty monotonous, too.Which is why I recommend them if someone asks....not that other stuff does not work,but they seem to eliminate a lot of melodrama.You know what's going to happen when the hammer falls smile

Even a super big deer from Canada is only a few inches thicker through the chest than its smaller, southern cousins wink

After dumping a small ark full of deer with a 7Mag, I decided that it was definitively overkill. I moved to a .243 and lived happily ever after. Later, I traded that .243 off because it didn't fit me well, and started using a .25-06 instead. Even the .25-06 is overkill grin

I would happily hunt any MD or WT deer of any size, anywhere, with a .243 and 80gr TTSX. Even a .223 would work fine with a 50gr TTSX, methinks, but it's not legal here, so I haven't tried it personally. I've seen enough pictures of dead deer online that I'd probably give it a try without second thought if I ever have the chance.
165 gr Interlock.
165 gr Nosler Partition over charge of IMR4350. Overkill but no drama.
As Jordan pointed out, a large northern buck is hardly any wider through the chest than his southern cousin. In my experience, the extra weight is in the northern deer's extra length and deeper (not wider) chest .

165 gr. Nosler Partition
Bob, I remember the first trip I made to Sask. and the outfitter suggested I bring a 300 mag or a 7 mag because that what was most of his clients brought up there. Not needing much of an excuse for a new rifle, I bought that Remington Custom Shop APR in 300 Win Mag and I bought along my 280 Ackley which got some snickers from the "regulars" in camp. I'm not sorry I bought the APR cause it is an incredibily accurate rifle and I like the looks and feel of it as well. Yeah, the bucks up there are quite a bit bigger body wise, but a 300 mag of any flavor is not needed. Anyway, I loaded 180 gr Nosler BT's and figured I was safe.
I know that it was likely a fluke, but I had a c & c 180 (.30-06) fail on me several years ago. The 180s were factory loaded at almost 2900, first box tried worked well as to accuracy, so I went back and bought 10 more boxes. Then after using that load for several years, I made a perfect "Texas heart shot" on the south end of a north bound mule deer just before the went over a ridge at something under 200 yards. The first shot (no entry wound) shattered both the pelvis and the bullet. another neck shot sealed the deal. When I dressed and butchered the deer, all I found were fragments of lead and jacket material.

I had the same experience with a c & c 100 grain .243 breaking up several years prior on a quartering frontal shot. Fortunately, one of the larger fragments hit the spinal cord. I solved the .243 problem with 100 grain Partitions. I have found the solution for .30 calibers to be bonded, Partitions, or TSX. I am sure there are others. Good bullets are very near the cheapest part of the hunt. I agree that it doesn't take a magnum howitzer to kill a deer, but I have also been guilty of doing that when young and dumb. Good hunting, jack
RD: There isn't a thing wrong with a 300 magnum for deer hunting up there....some guys are "one rifle for everything",and a 300 magnum does that nicely,of course.

But these are generally pretty experienced hunters and many who go up there don't meet that description,assume a 300 mag (or larger) are required, or that they need one for the purpose, which simply isn't true.

I don't know of a deer hunt in North America where a 280AI would not be darn near perfect,and likely lighter and more manageable than any 300 magnum.

I don't know of a deer hunt in North America where a 280AI would not be darn near perfect,and likely lighter and more manageable than any 300 magnum.

...and MUCH better than a 270! grin
Originally Posted by southtexas

...and MUCH better than a 270! grin

ST: Haha! I never said THAT! grin

Gotta toss the 280AI boys a bone now and then.... whistle wink smile
BOb..thanks for the bone..even though the bone had very little meat on it..lol
i think my little 25-06 would just smash them giant whitetails with aliitle 117gr interlock
Originally Posted by hunter8mm
i think my little 25-06 would just smash them giant whitetails with aliitle 117gr interlock

Yup, it would.
Ive used 200 grain 30 cal speers in my 30/06 for decades
but like the others have said shot placement and bullet construction is more important than caliber or bullet weight
Ive used a 6mm rem and 257 roberts on the lower range of power and about all the semi popular calibers up to 378wby-to-458 LOTT at one time or another deer are just not that hard to kill, Ive seen at least 5 ELK killed real dead with a 257 roberts and a couple with 44 mag revolvers so Id be far more concerned with shot placement.
but that being stated I can in good conscious recommend those 200 grain 30 cal speer bullets for ALL deer & elk big game hunting when using a 30/06 you can get good accuracy with 4831 or WW760 and a 215 federal primer in most 30/06 rifles Ive tried.
Originally Posted by oldguns
BOb..thanks for the bone..even though the bone had very little meat on it..lol

oldguns: LOL! My only point was that 140 gr bullets will work really well on those Canadian whitetails from a 280AI; and it matters not at all whether they measure .277 or .284,or are fired from a 270,280,or a 280AI.Results will be exactly the same.

The bucks won't like any of them. smile
I like accubonds. Something about mature deer. They allways seem to die hard. Good shot placement paramount.
I have seen two big mule deer,(one of which was mine) dropped in their tracks by .308" 150 gr. Accubonds. Both were one shot deals with excellent bullet performance. Mine was at a lasered 202 yards with a 300 WSM. My buddy took his with a 300 RUM at a greater distance but I don't recall the range. Both were within easy 30-06 range, which is what the OP mentioned using. My buddy and I both used accubonds because both of our rifles shot very well with them. If your rifle likes 150 gr. Accubonds then I'd bet you are gonna like how they work on deer, be they Mulies or big Canadian whitetails. It really is all about good shot placement.
Originally Posted by Rene
I like accubonds. Something about mature deer. They allways seem to die hard. Good shot placement paramount.

Is good shot placement not paramount on immature deer?

fwiw- I've shot quite a few mature deer that weighed over 200lbs. They died about the same as any of them.
Biggens
The biggest deer are not armor plated and I still believe that NO deer really requires a 30 caliber rifle. I still use fairly rapid expanding bullets on any deer regardless of size because they just aren't that big and aren't that tough.
I've shot a few 200 lb+ deer here on the hill. 30cal Corelokt 150gn. bullets on two and a 50 cal maxi-hunter in a front stuffer for the other. They fall over and die... I've also had little deer run, w/ both bullets, who knows.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
130gr TTSX would be fun. Works great out of the .308!
I plan on trying that in sask next november
Never been up that way-I'm thinking that should be addressed-or shot one of those really big hogs down here.

However, I think I have a couple rifles that with good bullets would be adequate: 7mm-08, .308W and a .30-06 that while not a favorite would be a good choice. From Bob and a couple others descriptions, I would place considerable thought on which one handles well and I can get into action quickly if needed and make sure I was up to speed on doing so.

Then again an acquaintance has been up there someplace and uses an obnoxious .300 Jarrett rifle, big scope and all. Has done ok shooting out of a blind when they come into the bait pile and swears that it is perfect.
I would use a 180 gr Partition and never give it a second thought.
180 grain Nosler partitions or accubond out of your 30-06

....the 270 should have its' own primitive weapons season. grin

TFF.

A few weeks back, I was with my buddy when he downed a 220lb whitetail (dressed) with a .243 launching a 105 Speer. It was over about as fast as anything I've ever witnessed.

When I got to the deer, I was shocked by the lack of armor plating. laugh

Originally Posted by Killertraylor
Probably doesn't matter - they are no tougher than any other deer. I prefer TSX bullets on deer as they don't frag and ruin a bunch of meat. Accubonds or partitions would be a close second.

I won't shoot coreloks anymore after having a 180 grain out of a .300 Win blow up on the shoulder of an elk at 200 yards.

True. They are just a deer. However, if you find a truly mature Canadian WT or MD buck, they may be 300lbs+. I would go one size bigger in cup and core bullets, and would consider a Barnes because they will penetrate from any angle without destroying a lot of meat. I believe in two holes for a great blood trail also.
Scott got pics of that buck? Would love to see it!
You've seen it already. I'll prolly put it in the deer hunting forum in a couple days as a "tribute".
I'd be shooting a 165gr Hornady Interbond.
Oh yeah! That one! I forgot! Duh....sorry!
Originally Posted by SKane
You've seen it already. I'll prolly put it in the deer hunting forum in a couple days as a "tribute".

Please do......I never get tired of seeing that buck.
Originally Posted by SKane

....the 270 should have its' own primitive weapons season. grin

TFF.

A few weeks back, I was with my buddy when he downed a 220lb whitetail (dressed) with a .243 launching a 105 Speer. It was over about as fast as anything I've ever witnessed.

When I got to the deer, I was shocked by the lack of armor plating. laugh

I hear you, especially after seeing what a .284 150 Nosler BT did to a 300+lb muley buck this year.
I did not read all but I can't, for the life of me, think that just about any good 150-180 gr. bullet wouldn't snuff any Canadian whitetail walking. We have been killing big deer in Maine for years with normal cup and core bullets.

I live up here in the land of the giants. Was lucky enough this yr to kill one this year. A 169 four pt. One of the largest bodies I've taken in all my yrs of pursuing these great animals. I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs and this deer as well as most I've taken, dwarfs me.Of the nine I have on the wall, all were taken with a 270 using 140 cup and core Hornady or Sierra. If I were using the 30-06 I would use 165's in the same type of bullet. No need for TSX or the like. Yes sometimes there is some bloodied meat, but when targeting these large, mature bucks I'd rather have him down and dead with a large wound than running away with a pinhole through him. Have never lost a deer because of the bullets I use. JMHO.
Any 180 will do. A whitetail is a whitetail.
Lagerboy,
We need PICTS man!!! blush
I just skimmed this thread, but I guess deer have gotten tougher. Most of what I see recommended are elk loads.
Skane I would love to show them off, but can't figure out how to do it. I'm slightly computer challenged. They range from 161-193. Will get my wife to assist me in trying to post them.
Originally Posted by lagerboy
Skane I would love to show them off, but can't figure out how to do it. I'm slightly computer challenged. They range from 161-193. Will get my wife to assist me in trying to post them.

You need to load your pictures on a free sight like Photobucket that will host the pictures. Then it's easy to post them here.

Forums can't host pictures directly. It would take too much bandwidth.
Keep, thanks MH.
Shot my biggest buck in alberta 176+ 270
win 130 npt just under 200 yds. went 30 ft. weighed 260 gutted.
Originally Posted by boatammo
Shot my biggest buck in alberta 176+ 270
win 130 npt just under 200 yds. went 30 ft. weighed 260 gutted.

Typical.. smile Works every time. wink
My choice out of an '06 for heavy northern bucks would be 165 grains of the most accurate of these, Nosler BT, Nosler Partition, Hornady Interlock, Hornady Interbond, Speer Hot Core or Deep Curl.

Or factory Federal Fusion, or Federal blue box.

Good luck hunting
On a 300 pound whitetail, and using the .30-06 cartridge, I'd load the 165 grain Nosler Partition and not look back.

I would, however, keep my knife razor sharp.
To each his own. I hunt exclusively w/ a .300 WM using 180 TSX. I like 'em, the gun likes 'em, and whitetails hate 'em.
© 24hourcampfire