Home
are there any western states that offer an over the counter (non draw) rifle tag for mule deer

thinking about a possible diy hunt out west on public land

thanks in advance
there are lots of states that are really easy to draw, here there are lots of areas that are unlimited, but you have to go through a "draw" where you buy them online and there is no limit to licenses, but it's not over the counter.
you looking just to bag a mule deer, or do you want a trophy?
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/13/13
Wyoming usually has nonresident licenses left over after the drawing that can be bought without going into a drawing. They won't be in the most popular areas, and might have alot of private land so access won't be easy, but it can still be had.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
you looking just to bag a mule deer, or do you want a trophy?

any thing i would shoot IMO would be a trophy to me

but to answer you a question i am not looking for no 200 inch deer

and wouldnt care to shoot a weee lil one
I took 2 does with a muzzleloader this year, NR tags are $80 for 2 does any species.

if it has to be a buck, then do your research, one can be had almost anywhere, just have to put some effort into it.

imagine someone going to where you live and wanted to shoot a nice 4x4 whitetail, doesn't have to be a B&C, but they want a nice one. what would your response be? pretty much the same as it is out here.
Get on the various states websites, and look for last years draw results. It will show you how many hunters put in and how many tags were allocated.

There will be several that had leftover tags, which go on sale the day after the drawing, first come first serve. You can use that information to tell you where you could likely get a tag the next season, barring management changes.

you figure out the units that usually have leftover tags, and cross reference that with which ones have lots of public land.

Decide where you want to go, and call them the day after the drawing is held to buy your tags.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/13/13
to answer your question, yes. Idaho, i'd recommend south central. TO complicate things some units in that area are on an unlimited draw, meaning you will get a tag but you have to apply for it. Some units are OTC. (and also limited entry).

My advice would be to apply for a limited entry in idaho, there is no point system there so you have as good of chance as anyone.If you dont draw (likely not) go ahead and plan your OTC hunt. If you're not picky and hunt hard there is no reason you wont score on a buck.
Posted By: rost495 Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/13/13
not looking for a 200 inch one... thats funny. Ain't many of them around period anyway.

Just remember muleys are such that you probably can't accumulate 20 tags or so in one season, you may have to be happy with only one deer on a hunt.
pmc and my self are in the early stages of putting something together for 2015 as it will be 10 years since we hunted antelope in NM.

my ex father in law hunted the badlands of ND several times he even killed a 179 inch one up there on public land, i actually put in for that unit one year but was not drawn.

do the states out west allow you to put in the draw as a group or party... where we both put in and either both are drawn or neither

Idaho has OTC deer tags. Montana didn't used to, but they have had leftovers the past two years. Nebraska is first come first served with a cap that doesn't usually sell out until a few days before the season starts. Texas licenses include a mule deer or two, but of course there's the access issues.
Posted By: Laguna Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/14/13
Originally Posted by DEER_ASSASSIN
are there any western states that offer an over the counter (non draw) rifle tag for mule deer

thinking about a possible diy hunt out west on public land

thanks in advance

If you want a shot at a trophy buck, you're almost assuredly going to have to apply for premium areas. I'd suggest that you consider acquiring bonus points for trophy areas in western states.
shouldnt be too hard, you see 10 year old girls on these kinds of forums often with big kills

unless those are corn pile kills with sand bags and daddy pulling the trigger

you wouldnt know what to think DA, different when the animal is 3ft taller than the surrounding vegetation for 5 miles. Just wave your hat at them,
they'll stop, look and pose the 7saum laugh

aint like hunting whitetails in hardwood/briars running 400mph (away from the hunter)
Posted By: jwall Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/14/13

imagine someone going to where you live and wanted to shoot a nice 4x4 whitetail, doesn't have to be a B&C, but they want a nice one. what would your response be? pretty much the same as it is out here.

grin grin

I would NOT lie but would NOT suggest 'where' I hunt.

I'd suggest some 'other' area with good population 'not close' to mine. smile
Posted By: PMC Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/14/13
I took 2 does with a muzzleloader this year, NR tags are $80 for 2 does any species.

if it has to be a buck, then do your research, one can be had almost anywhere, just have to put some effort into it.

To get an 8 pt on public land here I'd suggest LBL or TN Wildlife Refuge around Britton Ford
Originally Posted by PMC

To get an 8 pt on public land here I'd suggest LBL or TN Wildlife Refuge around Britton Ford

I have no issue helping any fellow hunter out

I suggest lbl on TNWR britton ford/sulphur wells island or percy priest wma or cheatham wma
Here's this year's Idaho OTC buck from unit 48.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rosco1 Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/15/13
Originally Posted by slumlord
shouldnt be too hard, you see 10 year old girls on these kinds of forums often with big kills

unless those are corn pile kills with sand bags and daddy pulling the trigger

you wouldnt know what to think DA, different when the animal is 3ft taller than the surrounding vegetation for 5 miles. Just wave your hat at them,
they'll stop, look and pose the 7saum laugh

aint like hunting whitetails in hardwood/briars running 400mph (away from the hunter)

DA, Please include the dumbass in the quote on your hunt..take lots of pics.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's this year's Idaho OTC buck from unit 48.

[Linked Image]

that is a dang fine buck that thing would be in my living room for sure

Originally Posted by jwall

grin grin

i never asked for specific units or locations my question was about states and the availability of tags, any other info is always appreciated it is not like I will be up there all the time at the rate now once every 10 years. Truth be told we may just hook up with the land owner in NM outside of clayton and go there again but i really like to try something new like Mule Deer

From what I have seen from New Mexico in 2005 antelope hunting the west is pretty wide freaking open

Posted By: Laguna Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by jwall

grin grin

i never asked for specific units or locations my question was about states and the availability of tags, any other info is always appreciated it is not like I will be up there all the time at the rate now once every 10 years. Truth be told we may just hook up with the land owner in NM outside of clayton and go there again but i really like to try something new like Mule Deer

From what I have seen from New Mexico in 2005 antelope hunting the west is pretty wide freaking open

I would think that 10 years' bonus points would be sufficient to get you in a trophy mule deer area. There are only a few trophy mule deer areas in CA, and getting drawn for one ain't easy.
we are not so much interested in a trophy but a place with a good herd
north western panhandle oklahoma
Posted By: Laguna Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/17/13

Just about anyplace in the west has mule deer herds. It's being able to find a buck during hunting season that's difficult. You can kill a buck within 50 miles of downtown LA -the way the crow flies- but you will work for it and it won't be much over 125lbs. The San Gabriel Mountains has lots of deer, bear, & mountain lions. But they're straight up & straight down. They are more rugged than the Rocky Mountains. But you can hunt deer in the morning and spend the rest of the day at Disneyland.

Deer Hunting San Gabriel Mountains
Posted By: PMC Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by Laguna

Just about anyplace in the west has mule deer herds. It's being able to find a buck during hunting season that's difficult. You can kill a buck within 50 miles of downtown LA -the way the crow flies- but you will work for it and it won't be much over 125lbs. The San Gabriel Mountains has lots of deer, bear, & mountain lions. But they're straight up & straight down. They are more rugged than the Rocky Mountains. But you can hunt deer in the morning and spend the rest of the day at Disneyland.

Thanks for the info. Not real sure that it's any help though. Let me clarify a little bit so you don't have to waste anymore time. DA is asking about the starting place for a DIY hunt. A state that.
A) Has a mule deer herd
B) Sells over the counter buck tags or has a group / party application
C) Preferably with public land

I will go ahead and tell you CA, OR, and WA are not on the list. Thanks for suggesting Dsneyland but Disneyworld is much superior.
Posted By: Laguna Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by PMC

Thanks for the info. Not real sure that it's any help though. Let me clarify a little bit so you don't have to waste anymore time. DA is asking about the starting place for a DIY hunt. A state that.
A) Has a mule deer herd

I will go ahead and tell you CA, OR, and WA are not on the list. Thanks for suggesting Dsneyland but Disneyworld is much superior.

CA fits his bill.
Posted By: PMC Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by PMC

A) Has a mule deer herd

CA fits his bill.

Thank you again for the suggestion. But since I will be the one hunting with him if we do this. CA, OR and WA do not fit my bill.
Posted By: pointer Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by PMC

A) Has a mule deer herd

Using that criteria, I would suggest you take a look at the southern 1/2 of Idaho as your first choice. Not all units are OTC, but many are. It's some neat country and the deer can be found at many elevations as well. Lots of public land. Another bonus, if you see one, you can instead use that buck tag on a wolf or black bear!

UT also meets that criteria, but IMO, the deer hunting for the OTC units is way worse and the season's very short making for lots of pressure.

Used to MT wasn't really OTC, but it was this year as they had leftover tags. I will be going back to MT someday, but I'm hoping for a couple of mild winters before doing that.
Montana usually has OTC deer tags available that are left over after the draw........but they ain't cheap!! We hunted there this last deer season and shot 4 bucks.......3 mulies and 1 white tail.

If you decide to hunt there, you should investigate the Block Management Program. Ranchers participate in this program, and allow hunters to hunt on their private property at no charge. The state pays the ranchers to participate. The program is very easy to use and there are some monster mule deer to be had on the ranches.

There is a lot of public land available to hunt in Montana, and lots of mule deer available there as well.

One of the best things about mule deer hunting in Montana is that you get to hunt during the rut !!
You'll see alot of game and have a great time with this outfitter: www.huntsd.net

TR
Posted By: Muphere Re: mule deer hunting question - 01/25/13
Idaho. Has plenty of units with OTC tags. We used them this year in central Idaho and did very well during the first week of the season. However, we did see more mountain goats than mulie bucks. Hunted around 9-10,000' and shot a 163" 30" 4x4 and a 192" 6x7. Light pressure early in the year as most seam to wait till later in the season and wait for the deer to get lower. The big guys are the last out of the higher elevations.
© 24hourcampfire