Home
What is your favorite guttin', skinnin', processin' knife that costed less than $100?

My favorite is a made in USA Old Timer 125OT liner lock:

[Linked Image]

This. Spyderco Bill Moran Custom. Hard to beat for a Factory "Production" Model

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...173130066&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466
For me it's a tossup between my old Puma 970 Game Warden, an old Zytel handled Japanese Parker lockback and a carbon steel Case folding hunter from the 60's. That old case has taken dozens of deer from field to table over the years and I only paid 50 cents for it at a lawn sale.
Posted By: ChipM Re: Best sub-$100 Hunting Knife? - 09/11/13
Buck Alpha Hunter
I went through 10's of different knives and settled on

1) Buck ergo hunter -
Heavy enough and thick enough blade to split the chest on a Deer, great handle that doesn't slip, and it's got a rough spot on the blade for your thumb or finger if you choke up on it. I have the SV-30 blade version of that knife.

Link to that knife on Cabelas site

or the fall back
2) Cabelas Alaskan Guide series Vanguard ruber handle

Same thing but the handle isn't as easy to hold when your pressuring through stuff.

Link to cabelas for that knife
I used to say "Western"

Or something stamped "solingen"

Originally Posted by chlinstructor
This. Spyderco Bill Moran Custom. Hard to beat for a Factory "Production" Model

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...173130066&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

That's a goodun. For even cheaper, the Gerber Gators are hard to beat but ONLY the ATS34 steel versions. I don't think they made them long.
These Queen 4180's are darn good knives.D-2 steel.
http://www.cumberlandknifeworks.com...&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28
Posted By: tzone Re: Best sub-$100 Hunting Knife? - 09/11/13
A USA made Buck knife could get you a lot of miles. I don't leave home without one.
My buck 110 that my wife bought me a couple years ago. Or my buck vanguard
A Buck 110.
Havalon.
Alaska knifes
Gerber 4266

P
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
A Buck 110.
I really like my Cabelas branded version with S30V steel. It was under a $100 when I bought it.

However, the last couple of years my 'primary' has been a Schrade Sharpfinger that my dad always carried. I'm growing pretty partial to it...
[Linked Image]
+1 for the Havalon never a dull knife again.
I always liked the looks of the Buck Vanguard.

But when I picked one up it seemed just a little big, and clumsy. One day when browsing at BPS, I came across a smaller version of the Vanguard. It's blade is only 3 1/4 inches. It looks and feels just right for me. Didn't see it when I looked at the Buck website, however.
best bang for under 100 that I have ever seen was the spyderco native with frn scales and s30v steel that I got at sportsmans whse for 60 bucks.
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=20
This one. Case XX drop point stainless. It has gutted one elk, about five deer and one bobcat and is still plenty sharp. $79.00.

[Linked Image]
Havalon.
Buck/Case/USA Schrade all good knives.
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
What is your favorite guttin', skinnin', processin' knife that costed less than $100?

My favorite is a made in USA Old Timer 125OT liner lock:

[Linked Image]

I have 2 of them. Mine, that I've used for close to 30 years, and my dad's, which has had a lot less use and is in much better condition. They take a good edge and hold it.
This blade has a good curve for skinning, unlike some I've used.
I have an old western lockback with nylon handles and a clip type blade similar in size to a buck 110 but considerably lighter. Lost my original one when the belt loop on the nylon sheath let go while hunting, but thru the magic of ebay I bought a replacement and a spare. Oh I also have a two blade Uncle Henry similar to the OP's Old Timer. I use that imitation stag beauty when I'm feeling uppity or hunting with my buddy that insists on carrying a $400 Randall.
Knives of Alaska. I've used mine for alligator, deer & hog. Can't see any reason to spend more $$.
Havalon.

Not sure why someone would need to spend over $100 on a knife anyway, as there as quite a few around that mark or cheaper that will do anything that needs done. Especially one of the BAFB variety (Big Azzed Fixed Blade). About all they're good for is intimidating punks in Central Park, ala Crocodile Dundee.
I like the Gerber Gator w/ the Bell and Carlson handle. It has the S30v steel on it. From my understanding it was limited only to Cabelas. They have since quit carrying them and I bought my most recent one on E-bay.
This Gene Ingram

[Linked Image]

And this Gerber

[Linked Image]
plain old buck 110
Victorinox "Camper" Swiss Army knife.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Victorinox "Camper" Swiss Army knife.

Also a very good one!
How'd you get an Ingram for under 100 bucks , did ya wear a mask at least? LOL
I was the first one to post his wears on the 'Fire many moons ago. At the time I paid $75 for it and Gene had it finished in 3 weeks.

I learned a lesson.
Strike that, that knife was $60.
$80 for this one

[Linked Image]
Billy,

I was just trying to remember what animals I've done with my Swiss Army knife. Aside from at least 100 deer, there have been pronghorns, wild pigs, black bear, caribou, elk and one bull water buffalo. It's a little on the small side for water buffalo, and I did have some help, but the SAK was the first blade through the hide.
First and main 'hunting' knife was a Buck Protege dad got me in high school, around $20 or so. Hard to beat for the money, rubbery handles, about a 3" blade.
[Linked Image]

Haven't used it yet on much of anything, but a Kershaw Gentleman's Folder is at the ready-

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I was the first one to post his wears on the 'Fire many moons ago. At the time I paid $75 for it and Gene had it finished in 3 weeks.

I learned a lesson.

[bleep] that one up good didn't ya? LOL
I always said a Buck 110, but i'm going to try one of those Swingblades. It looks kind of handy.
Posted By: ChipM Re: Best sub-$100 Hunting Knife? - 09/12/13
Another one is a $25 Schrade, don't know the model name but has a green rubber handle fixed blade with gut hook. Came with a nylon sheath. Hell of a knife for the money and gutted a couple bucks
last couple of years for me has been a Boker Bob Dozier Arkansas Traveler...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Havalon.

Not sure why someone would need to spend over $100 on a knife anyway, as there as quite a few around that mark or cheaper that will do anything that needs done. Especially one of the BAFB variety (Big Azzed Fixed Blade). About all they're good for is intimidating punks in Central Park, ala Crocodile Dundee.

Could say the same thing about shooting, but I'd bet you've got something bigger than a 30-30 in the old gun cabinet. To each their own, we all have different things that trip our triggers.

MM
Originally Posted by ChipM
Buck Alpha Hunter

Yep
Russell Belt Knife #1 Original

3rd one down.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Best sub-$100 Hunting Knife? - 09/12/13
IMO, the best by far, hands down, nothing else comes close bang for your buck hunting knife is one of the Mora carbon steel knives. They are easy to sharpen, take and hold a great edge, come in a lot of different styles and depending on which one you get, you can buy five of them for $100.

Supercub has one in his photo....it is at the bottom, underneath his fancy knives! laugh

I have a few fancy knives myself but it is hard to beat a Mora for value.

One of the things I have learned is that, if we are talking deer, you don't really need a "hunting knife". You can dress and skin a deer with a Case trapper without much trouble and cut it up with any boning or fillet knife....just so long as they are nice and sharp.
There are probably a million or two different options, but a Rapala filet knife is one I like a lot. Esp. if you will be boning them out in the field.
Steelhead, your little saying at the end of your post cracked my wife and I up. Hilarious. laugh
Originally Posted by RJY66
IMO, the best by far, hands down, nothing else comes close bang for your buck hunting knife is one of the Mora carbon steel knives. They are easy to sharpen, take and hold a great edge, come in a lot of different styles and depending on which one you get, you can buy five of them for $100.

Supercub has one in his photo....it is at the bottom, underneath his fancy knives! laugh

I have a few fancy knives myself but it is hard to beat a Mora for value.

One of the things I have learned is that, if we are talking deer, you don't really need a "hunting knife". You can dress and skin a deer with a Case trapper without much trouble and cut it up with any boning or fillet knife....just so long as they are nice and sharp.

You're right about that MORA. It's a fine knife for deer hunting. Nice and small for removing gralloch.

The one I have belonged to my FIL. His father gave it to him before WWII. He brought it back from Europe as a gift for his son. The sheath has a button hole for suspenders instead of a belt loop. I like that knife a lot.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Best sub-$100 Hunting Knife? - 09/12/13
I have more expensive knives, but I'm not sure they are any better than this $15 knife.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/brands/Frosts+Mora+of+Sweden/47.html
I love all my Mora knives.
Which Mora(s) would be best for skinning, and boning out deer/elk?

They make a ton of different models.
Well here's some proof that you can scratch off the cabelas logo on that Alaskan guide knife.

The buck vanguard is only apparently heated after they put on thier logo.

The first picture shows the knife from a distance and you can only see a slight change in the finish they put on the blade where the logo was - heck I forgot it was there.
[Linked Image]

Now I'll zoom in on the place where the logo was, and you can see just a slight ghosting / color change in the blade coating of the outline of the logo.
[Linked Image]

Told ya....

I like the Buck Mini Alpha

[Linked Image]

Got a new buck I want to try this year but can't remember the name. Ergohunter? Nice wood handle with a short drop point blade.
Posted By: RDW Re: Best sub-$100 Hunting Knife? - 09/12/13
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
I like the Gerber Gator w/ the Bell and Carlson handle. It has the S30v steel on it. From my understanding it was limited only to Cabelas. They have since quit carrying them and I bought my most recent one on E-bay.

I thought it was a steal at 39.00 (maybe 59.00) and bought one to have in the event I didn't get a Dowell, it is hard to sharpen even with my Lansky diamond stones.
Gerber Gator
a good part of my choice revolves around being able to split the chest with or without a knife. You can clean a deer with a pocket knife if you want, but lately I've taken to this one.

SV-30 version

[Linked Image]
This one was close to a hundy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave Ricke from West Bend, Wisconsin made this neat little knife that I picked up at a gun show. The sheath is made by Bob Schrap, also from Wisconsin.
Chock up one more for a Buck 110. Its gone through numerous deer, elk, a few bears, and even a few soup cans. We have a pile of wooden handled Rapalas we bust out when its time to start cuttin meat.
In my opinion the best knife under a hundred bucks is the Helle Harding.

Norwegian laminated stainless. I've had mine for about 15 years and expect to have it a lot longer.
Havalon Piranta. It ain't pretty, but it will do everything you need it to as long as you remember to bring extra blades.
Posted By: jwall Re: Best sub-$100 Hunting Knife? - 09/13/13
Micro Groove -

I've read thru this thread. I don't have time to do pics now but I use more than one knife (not at the same time nor for the same deer). smirk

I too like the Gerber Gator for skinning but I also like a Sharp Point for certain procedures. A 'sharpfinger' has both a sharp point and curved similar to a drop point for skinning. (Be careful with the POINT) grin ask me WHY.

Only a couple or so have mentioned a 'gut hook'. Guys I can promise you that IF you haven't tried a gut hook, you don't know what you're missing. I have more than one and TO ME a gut hook makes certain things SO EASY.

I know the year I first used a gut hook (1995) and have not and will not be without one or more.

When I have a little time I'll post a pic or 3.

Later
to me its all about blade steel, use a crappy cheap knife and you are probably going to need to resharpen it a couple times during the caping and gutting process. I love s30v you can go through quite a few animals without sharpening it at all. I use the cabelas alaskin guide with the rubbery handle. its actually made for them by buck. mine did 2 elk and several deer and the blade was still decently sharp, $7 and a trip back to buck renewed the edge to new. why sharpen your knives anymore just pick an awesome steel and send them back and let them sharpen them. This has become my plan for my hunting and personal carry knives.
Posted By: JPro Re: Best sub-$100 Hunting Knife? - 09/13/13
Another vote for the Alaskan Guide S30V series by Buck. They are on sale right now too. Got a flier this week. Mine is the small Caper version that they don't appear to make anymore, but the Skinner and Vanguard would be fine ones also. For that matter, the old 110 style in that steel would suit me too.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
to me its all about blade steel, use a crappy cheap knife and you are probably going to need to resharpen it a couple times during the caping and gutting process. I love s30v you can go through quite a few animals without sharpening it at all. I use the cabelas alaskin guide with the rubbery handle. its actually made for them by buck. mine did 2 elk and several deer and the blade was still decently sharp, $7 and a trip back to buck renewed the edge to new. why sharpen your knives anymore just pick an awesome steel and send them back and let them sharpen them. This has become my plan for my hunting and personal carry knives.

I'm not letting anybody sharpen my knife. If I can't get it sharp with my own two hands, it becomes a gift or trade bait.
i think the havolon is the way to go,i only live 10min from the razor blade factory. the pirana blade are fairly easy to get. i have a free box of 100 blades.
My #1 would be a Buck 110 followed closely by the Old Timer Sharpfinger. If you are interested in the Old Timer, do a little looking and find an older one that is American made. The new ones are made in china. They quit making them here in 1999 I believe. You can still find the old ones out there, especially at gun shows.
Posted By: jwall Re: Best sub-$100 Hunting Knife? - 09/14/13
Okay a few pics. I think everyone knows about the Gerber Gator so I'll not post it.

You'll be able to tell I USE these knives. I don't carry them on my person, 1 or 2 may be in my pack depending where I'm going.
They WILL clean up and look pretty good.

First is general purpose knife, most will recognize it. Vintage!
It will rip a deer's sternum too.
[Linked Image]

This one I bought at W M for $30.00 and it's very useful and holds an edge pretty good. That is a very useful gut hook and skinning blade.

[Linked Image]

This Remington blade is 'similar' to a Buck 110 plus a gut hook. This is my FIRST gut hook, '95.

[Linked Image]

I don't remember if this is called Bear Paw or Bear Claw. I've used it when using a climbing stand. The 3 blades come in very handy on occasion.

[Linked Image]

This Shrade Sharp Finger is 80s vintage. On the handle it says "Guns & Ammo". I WISH I had kept it NIB and bought a regular sharp finger for use. Oh Well, hindsight.

[Linked Image]

This is JUST my personal choice! I don't use a pocket knife. I don't OWN any folding knife that's not a LOCK BLADE.
© 24hourcampfire