Home
I hunt in both rifle and shotgun zones. In shotgun zones over the years I've always thought there must be a better way to put wounded deer down than with a 12 ga. slug at close range. That's why almost 10 years ago I started carrying the German Luger my late uncle brought home from Germany in 1945. He hunted in his younger days and we once talked about using it for something like that. Couple years ago in tribute to him I used it to finish off a buck wounded by my 12 ga. slug gun. Gave him a couple rounds to the back of the head/neck area.. He expired... If that happens again this coming season should I use the same area for the finishing shot? Or is there a better option? Two years ago I used NATO spec 124 gr. 9mm FMJ ammo but I also have some Hornady Custom 9mm with a 124 gr. XTP bullet. At very close range they'd probably both be sufficient but where's the best place on the deer to put 'em? I could carry a .38/357 or even a 44 mag for such duty but this is for my late uncle because he would have loved my using his old Luger for something like that.
If the shot is solid and the goodies gone and the deer is on the ground going for his last few gasps I just let them expire out. If the deer is just wounded and needs more to bring it an end, I'll be using the weapon I started the fight with.
Hand guns in New York, be careful.
Especially if a handgun is not a legal method of take.
And it would be a shame to lose an authentic German Luger.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If the shot is solid and the goodies gone and the deer is on the ground going for his last few gasps I just let them expire out. If the deer is just wounded and needs more to bring it an end, I'll be using the weapon I started the fight with.

^^^^^^^

This.

An extra cartridge in the pocket is less stuff to pack around than a pistol.
Originally Posted by ingwe

^^^^^^^

This.

An extra cartridge in the pocket is less stuff to pack around than a pistol.

+2

I carry one cheap factory round in my left front pants pocket. Have rarely used it. Either the critter needs more shooting pronto and you go with what's in the rifle, or it is far enough gone to back off a few steps and let it go out in peace.

don't know of any states that a 9mm is a legal method of take.
Actually its legal in MT. Wouldn't make it my first choice�but its legal�.
According to the geniuses that make the rules for handgun hunting in NY state I could actually take a shot at an UNwounded deer with not only a 9mm but even with a 25 ACP and still be legal. Not that I ever would. For you NYS guys it's on page 26 of the hunting & trapping regulations book where, under implement descriptions for big game it states under HANDGUN -" ANY CENTERFIRE PISTOL OR REVOLVER. BARREL LENGTH MAY NOT EXCEED 16 INCHES. NOTE: NONRESIDENTS MAY NOT USE HANDGUNS TO HUNT IN NEW YORK". I got the idea of using a handgun because using heavy artillery at close range is sort of overkill on a wounded animal. I've read stories of wounded elk being put down with handguns, and game keepers in the U.K. doing that on incapacitated deer over there and calling it "Humane Dispatch". Besides; 9mm is a lot cheaper than 12 ga. sabots, (grin) and it's my tribute to an old hunter and a member of the "greatest generation". So am I doing this right? If a deer is down but not dead when I walk up to it I'm not gonna stand around waiting for it to expire. I've always felt hunting ethics call for a quick, clean harvest.
Does that law apply for shotgun season too?

As an example here in Colorado. You can finish off an animal with a handgun if it's legal to hunt with that weapon during the season you're hunting. So, using a handgun during bow, or muzzleloader season is illegal.
It's legal during regular gun season only. You can use handguns in either a shotgun or a rifle zone during regular (not bow or muzzleloader) season so it sounds pretty similar.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

We can use even a .22 here. Used a 9mm many times.
thanks for the info, many states out here require not only caliber but either case length or energy thresholds that must be met.

figure the OP should be aware of that, thanks for enlightening me
You guys seriously worry about the legality of crap like this? Just shoot the [bleep] deer. The 9mm will work fine. Shoot it in the brain, or if you're worried about the cape shoot it in the lungs. I've finished off many, many deer with a 22 LR or 22 Mag in similar fashion.
Can't imagine a 9mm fmj to the brains not doing the trick if don't want to waste the $$12ga. And I get the paying tribute to your uncle part too. Seems legal so why not.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
You guys seriously worry about the legality of crap like this? Just shoot the [bleep] deer. The 9mm will work fine. Shoot it in the brain, or if you're worried about the cape shoot it in the lungs. I've finished off many, many deer with a 22 LR or 22 Mag in similar fashion.

This is what "kit guns" are made for. Blowing the top of a bleating does' skull off with an 06 is really, really poor form, just because you are too [bleep] fat and lazy to pack a proper pistol.
Its leagle in Mi. also keep using it
A good friend is a State Trooper. Before ISP switched over to .40's he put down many deer with his 9mm duty pistol with a shot to the head. He was using LEO only +P+ 115 gr hp.

So many nanny states... its illegal here in TX to use a rimfire too... I've done it many times though.. Its not like I"m "hunting" with a rimfire, though I've hunted and killed untold numbers of feral pigs with a 22 psitol and HPs.... just lung em and its dead, or brain em... either or.
This isn't rocket science. And sometimes you just end up ignoring the "law" to do the right thing in the instance.
i was walking across a field with scattered cedar trees in it just this morning and saw something move to my right. it was a injured 4pt that someone had shot a week or so ago. i could tell he was hurting real bad so i gave him a 295pb in the neck to finish him off. infection had already set in so i just left him where he was.he was shot thru both lower shouldersbut could still stand,damned deer are tough critters.
Back to my original topic; I'll have the Luger in a soft case in my knapsack again this season. It's mine, it's legal , and using it to polish off a deer is legal. So if I have to do it again it'll just be the same thing... a round or two to the back of the head/neck = one dead deer. Unless I was worried about the cape. The Luger isn't mint or anything like that. One look at the rifling in the bore tells you it's had many many rounds through it. It's a 1916 Erfurt; not rare or one of those models that bring premium bucks in the Luger world; (its been appraised) but it feeds and functions well. It's just that the guy who brought it home in 1945 thought it would be ideal for something like that. His name was Marty and I'll always treasure the memory of standing over that buck with his old Luger, looking up at the gray sky, and saying; "Thanks Marty, I know you'd get a kick out of this".
As a practical matter, I wouldn't bother taking a sidearm when using a shotgun or any other cartridge gun. I use a .357 when I'm using a muzzle loader in firearms season here. It shoots a heavier bullet faster, and I'm comfortable using it on unwounded deer. But you seem to have sentimental reasons, it's legal, and works, I see no reason to tell you not to.
Yes; it's strictly sentimental and legal... A .357 would be much better and I've got two (a S&W 4" 686 or a Blackhawk). Or could have utilized my 44 Mag. Redhawk or Glock 19 9mm even. Just wish my late uncle was still around; he would have been tickled pink that his old Luger got the call. Would have loved to show him the picture of the buck laying there with my 870 laid across its body and the Luger laying on his neck,(Was in a shotgun/handgun zone that day). Opening day this year I'll be in a rifle/handgun zone and I'll still have the Luger with me; probably won't need it.. but just in case.
I always carry some sort of handgun when I'm deer hunting. As hard as we all strive for that clean quick kill, sometimes it just doesn't happen. I have no interest in obliterating a down, but not quite out deer, with a big centerfire at rock throwing distances. A close range coup de grace with a mild pistol is a whole lot less messy and more respectful. I've used several handguns but most of the time there's a little S&W 632 Airweight in .32 H&R in my fanny pack adding no bulk, but it's there when I need it.
It's legal here in Tx. 9mm for deer, that is. To the OP's original question, yes, a 9mm will work just fine. I've used my 9mm here at the Ranch to put down sick or injured cows. A 115gr JHP or a 147gr FMJ to the brain is quick & humane.
Originally Posted by rost495

So many nanny states... its illegal here in TX to use a rimfire too... I've done it many times though.. Its not like I"m "hunting" with a rimfire, though I've hunted and killed untold numbers of feral pigs with a 22 psitol and HPs.... just lung em and its dead, or brain em... either or.
This isn't rocket science. And sometimes you just end up ignoring the "law" to do the right thing in the instance.

Exactly.
22250rem, This is coming from an Upstate NY guy. Use your uncles 9mm Luger and make him proud as he's looking down on you this season. You asked a simple question and a bunch of "Rocket Scientists" couldn't give you a simple answer. grin Enjoy!! Kevin

Legal in Texas, it will even take unwounded deer. I have taken a couple does at 15-25 yards with my Glock 19.

I agree. I have to say that taking a pistol deer hunting with me in case I had to finish one is not something I ever thought of. I figure the rifle (or in this case the shotgun) I started with would be adequate.

But yes, I suppose it would work if one wanted to go to the trouble.
Finishing off wounded deer - 9mm questions

I always carry some sort of handgun when I'm deer hunting. As hard as we all strive for that clean quick kill, sometimes it just doesn't happen. I have no interest in obliterating a down, but not quite out deer, with a big centerfire at rock throwing distances. A close range coup de grace with a mild pistol is a whole lot less messy and more respectful. I've used several handguns but most of the time there's a little S&W 632 Airweight in .32 H&R in my fanny pack adding no bulk, but it's there when I need it.

SCGunNut nailed it.....
Seems 9mm is a much LARGER centerfire caliber then many use in their rifles.

Ain't no thing to carry a reduced load or one with a cast bullet for your rifle. But I know folks like to carry more [bleep] with them in the field, so have at it.
anybody here carry a knife? If the deer is lively enough to get up and struggle away, shoot it with the rifle you shot them first with. If unable to get up and run, I've finished plenty opening up the arteries in the neck. Works just fine.

MM
50rem, What I use are cast bullets (or boat tail jacketed bullets seated backwards) with 10-15 gr. or so of Unique in most anything from 243 to 375-06 Imp. generally from 900-1300 FPS w/100-300 gr bullets. I go behind them and snap the spine at the base of the skull. Not only are they finished but is easier to cut the head off of the carcass. There is an article in RIFLE Magazine several years ago by Ross Seyfred (Ross, sorry about the spelling) about this exact thing. He was using a light weight 38 Spcl. and soft jacketed bullets and had an elk jump up on him from lack of penetration. He went to heavier hard cast and had no problems thereafter. I use butt stock ctg. holders and put the finisher at the rear w/the case head colored black w/a magic marker. I have used them probably at least once a year on some game. The reason I do is that I like the animal and to blow their heads off w/full power loads is not.....! if you have an alternative. However If I am hunting large or anything that will bite, I kill em' way before I get close enough for them to hurt me. Also Ingwe makes the point that it only takes one extra ctg. and no more weight than that. -Muddy
I must admit that it was Ross Seyfried that originally gave me the idea of handguns for close range coup de gras work. Read about it in a couple other places also. If I hadn't inherited that Luger there would have been one of two .38/.357's along due to Ross's writings but my late uncle (and myself) felt that a 9mm would also suffice. So when I decided to bring a finishing gun along it had to be his Luger, even if its only finished one deer in ten years, he'd be proud. Biggest things he ever shot with it were rats in an old dump in the early 1950's. From the family stories I've heard he was pretty accurate with that thing.

Texas, actually. Rimfire is illegal, but any centerfire is legal.

Texas: Any centerfire caliber/cartridge other than a rimfire is a legal means.
© 24hourcampfire